Hey Sup Forums...

Hey Sup Forums. I'm planning on making a 24/7 stream and I was wondering if getting some cheap refurbished PC would do the trick.

I'm planning on getting this:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795623

Am I making a mistake? Is it too risky to buy something like this?

Anyone have experience with 24/7 streaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1586
anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1585
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can do much better than $200 for a first gen i5. Shouldn't be paying much more than $150 for an i5-2400.

Not OP but I'm interested in doing something similar. Anyone have any luck streaming on older Thinkpads? I can still find them in spades next door to my work and I've been tempted a few times.

Also desu OP it's not a terrible buy if they actually did refurb and clean the thing up, the problem is that "refurbished" ranges, and Newegg is no exception. If the seller has contact info give them a call and ask for current images of the inside and outside. No joke, decent sellers are more than happy to work with you if you're serious.

what do you want to stream? where?
I always wanted to make a stream dedicated to older tv stuff and other videos but not even sure how to go about that

Favorite movies, adventure time, other anime and tv shows, music, and random webms from wsg

probably going to stream on a private youtube stream and if not i'll find another site.

I used to watch this 24/7 site some guy posted on Sup Forums but I never liked the movies on there.
I always thought it would be way better if it was just a cycle of the best movies instead of 1000 random movies.

I've been downloading stuff like crazy lately.
-starwars 1-6
-lord of the rings and the hobbit
-pixar films
-studio ghibli films
-pirates of the Caribbean films

for tv i got...
-danger 5
-the mighty boosh
-limmy's show
-the it crowd

anime
-cowboy bebop
-shinchan
-08th ms team
-outlaw star

originally i just wanted to play adventure time + movies but I've started adding more stuff on.

Does content ID fuck with the stream if it's private? I've never tried, curious if anyone has. I guess if you aren't trying to monetize anything you fly under the radar?

but no one wants to watch you fuck your dragon dildo live, OP

This sounds comfy as shit

I buy only refurbished computers for company where I work and never had single failure.

There are small servers that have relatively low power consumption and small footprint like Fujitsu MX130, they often come with 8 core opterons and cost like $100 used.

I paid around 60 € for a H61, 8 GB, i5-3550 bundle.

Put this together with a cheap 300W PSU.

If you run 24/7 you should care for the energy consumption, at least if you are from Europe.

Usually not. There's a German internet TV station that is streaming on YT 24/7 and they usually get away with practically anything. They just can't upload the VODs.

where do you but from? typical specs?

years ago Sup Forums used to do stuff like this.

-_- i miss those times.

>Fujitsu MX130

Will I be able to stream it to a site?

Streaming x264 doesn't give a fuck about multiple cores. All it cares about is GHz and IPC since streaming involves single-pass encoding, nothing is passed through a second time.

Re-encoding through handbrake highly benefits from parallelization, but streaming is a different beast to stuff like handbrake.

Compare single pass performance to second pass performance on modern CPUs; You'll see Intel's high clocked, high IPC i7s dominate for single-pass, but Ryzen dominates on second-pass.

anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1586
anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1585

so don't get a server then?

was the computer i link from newegg decent for streaming?

I bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex from Newegg and had no problems with it.

Before you buy one, though, make sure the case and motherboard will support multiple hard drives.
The specs on the website said it would support 4, but when I got it, the case only fits 1.

You used it for a 24/7 stream? how was it?

Not 24/7, no.
But it's running a git and file server and a media server that I stream in my house.

I think my uptime is something like 30 days right now, so it runs nonstop without any trouble.

This looks like it'd be pretty damn comfy as a personal/small-scale server.

What sort of power supply do these sort of things typically run? I assume your average 300w atx or something? Can't really find much detail on that.

you can get an ivy bridge dell optiplex for like $50-80 on craigslist or local ebay. they're stupid common and coming off lease around now.
packaging and shipping causes the price for full desktops to go through the roof. try shopping local first, regardless of what you do.