Some redditard finds the original starcraft sourcecode

>some redditard finds the original starcraft sourcecode
>in his desperate bid for internet points he posts a picture on reddit, then gives it back to blizzard
>everyone cheers him on, for returning the "stolen" code
>half the posts about it on Sup Forums are "lol what could you even do with the sourcecode for an old game"
I wanna die

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I imagine most of em would kill their mothers for reddit karma

Damn. If nothing else that would have been cool to look through. Fingers crossed he ripped that disc image.

Holy fucking kek

>Fingers crossed he ripped that disc image.
he didn't even know what the phrase "source code" implied, I doubt he even knows which button opens his computer's cd tray

What the fuck, I actually hate Reddit now. I thought they were just a meme, like a friendly rivalry or something.

Reddit is just waiting to be replaced by the next big attention whoring platform. They are scum of the earth users on par with cam girls.

It's the worst white knighting, social justice, and moralfagottry platform to ever exist.

If all active Reddit contributors were summarily executed, free software would live and consumerism would die.

and this is why we hate reddit newfags

we had this thread last night you fuck

redditors are only into "social justice" as far as it won't affect their point scores, the whole site is a racist and sexist circlejerk. they just don't say the nigger word unless they're on Sup Forums

Thats insane. SC 1 ran real smooth, no crashes. All in C and CPP.

What an idiot

there were definitely crashes but very uncommon

FUCKING HELL WHY

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT YOU FLAMING FAGGOT

I've honestly stopped expecting any kind of quality out of people and I was entirely disgusted by him returning it.

says the tripcode user :)

Tell me Sup Forums, if you had this disc and hadn't told anyone, what would you do?

Must suck being so self-conscious that you cant use a trip because you're afraid people might associate what you say with your identity.

Pastebin everything

I thought Starcraft was almost entirely written in C++. I swear there was an interview that was done at one point where they said that they regretted it, because if it had been written in C, it probably would have ran on a 486 instead of needing a Pentium.

break it

Send it to Julian Assange.

>Sup Forums thinks it's fine to steal proprietary source code but they will be mad if you steal GPL licensed code

I wanna die

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

Must suck being so self-absorbed that you use a a trip-code so that people might think the content of your posts has anything at all to do with your identity.

Make a copy of everything to go over because I'm trying to learn C++, then somehow release it.

Also should note that you can download Starcraft and Brood War for free from Blizzard themselves, so I don't think Blizzard cares about it as much as people think they do.

rip and release publicly, sell physical to some korean for his starcraft collection

KEK

someone should give this bitch a burger.

>abolitionists think it's okay to confiscate slaves but they will be mad if you enslave a black person

They could've made RTS great again

Fuck, this actually might have been the best idea.

>find stolen source code disc for 20 year old game
>post it online/try to sell it
>it's a topic of interest for a while
>get sued by blizzard
or
>do the morally correct thing and return it
>receive $250 blizzard store credit, a bunch of pc peripherals and stuff, and an all expenses paid trip to blizzcon
>probably save a copy
>Sup Forums gets mad for like 3 days

He doesn't even care about the game, why would he risk anything for the internet?

Sup Forums - Niggers of the Coding World

torrents and archive.org my dude

Did he at least make a backup copy of the ISO image?

honestly this, even if anybody wanted to do something with the source code they'd get sued into oblivion.

>250 monopoly money
>trip to autist convention
I knew blizzard were jews but this is embarrassing

Even if he knew about the potential,I imagine he'd probably take the safe, ethical, and profitable route rather than the internet pleasing route.

>ethical
>profitable
ok you're just embarrassing yourself now

He would just make shitty tweets about it though, without actually releasing anything.

Uploading it to something like mega anonmyously then giving links here to spread it as much as possible is the best choice.

>copy contents of disk
>destroy disk
>park outside McDonalds
>connect to wifi
>upload to TPB and Mega and post the links across the internet and IRC
>leave and encrypt data
>watch the Blizztard butthurt explode across the internet while I masturbate furiously to the spectacle I alone caused
I honestly have no idea how that fucking faggot had the nerve to return it, it blows my fucking mind. Must have been an utterly mindcucked brainlet beyond description.

And anyone who says they'd publish the code then return the disk for Blizzbux is stupid, they'd absolutely know it was you who published the shit across the internet and sue your ass to death after getting all your personal details.

surely that couldn't have been the only disc around

but it was right there, we (i.e. the public outside blizzard) had it, but it fell into the wrong hands
similarly there are 49 xbox dev towers left, doesn't make losing the one that could have already been put to use any less tragic while we wait for another to leak into the market

This irritated the living fuck out of me too
>have blizzard lawyers knocking down your door
>give it back because he was scared
Everyone should have been mad as fuck
Instead
>in a PR spin, they send him some toys and give him a ticket to blizzcon
>everybody is so happy clamoring about how good blizzard is

That fucking disc had so much potential and he gave it away what the fuck

Copied it, then sent it to based as fuck Jason Scott at Archive.org
He would have ripped it and put it on Archive.org for free. If blizzard would have complained, he would have pulled it down, but it would have been archived forever and it would have created enough buzz that people would have downloaded it a bunch. It would have circulated through torrents and other such means.

All for not I guess

Send it to James O'Keefe

You tripfags are the cancer of Sup Forums.
See

fatass detected

How did this chucklefuck even get a hold of this?

>not just making a copy and taking bids
holy fuck i hate reddit

>he didn't even know what the phrase "source code" implied
So he is a confirmed fucking retarded brainlet, Jesus Christ.

Why must all good things end up inevitably in the hands of unworthy people? Talk about pearls before swine, I seriously think most people who actually know how to use a computer would have uploaded the data. $250 in Blizzard Monopoly money is fucking nothing, what a waste.

Literal retard is on Blizzard's radar forever now in case he somehow makes something remotely similar to starcraft.

Good goy

>probably save a copy
Again, the guy didn't even know what "source code" meant, he probably didn't even know you could copy data from disks to a hard drive.

He fucking blew it, it's over.

David Duke is probably a better choice desu

Holy fuck, how special does your little ass need to feel that you try to fucking socially shame people for not being a faggot like you and having a trip on a fucking anonymous image board

end your worthless life

The blizzard lawyers probably put the fear of god into him, made him sign some legalese about it getting out and somesuch.

He is a fucking retard, did he expect anything else when posting it on the internet for fake internet points?

I don't want to know how sad your life has to be if you have to keep reposting the same thread, on literary every board related to games/technology.

Can someone explain to me (a retard) the value of a source code from a 1997 computer game?

Accidentally got it on eBay buying old CDs for blizzard games.

that doesnt even make sense, man.

ehhhhhhh.... guys?

The code is old, using old libs, on old platforms... some kid rewrote the whole game in HTML FFS and got a DMCA for it. This source code is fucking worthless aside from arbitrary nostalgia value? Who really gives a fuck right? The sprites are open source the AI is open source all this shit is OS at this point or at least completely re-implemented.

>samefag
HTML5, you know what i mean though

There's literally nothing wrong with selling free software.

*cough*Barracuda Inc *cough*
*cough*literally every product *cough*
*cough*mandriva*cough*

>a 1997 computer game
It's literally one of the most iconic video games ever made, that's why.

Newfag.

Is this the thread where we pretend to be internet badasses who would have done something different?

this differs slightly to me. many iconic things are such because they have some original aspect that is difficult to reproduce. a Faberge egg for example. Only so much of them exist and they attest to the quality of the manufactures long since gone. This code can essentially be reproduced with ease and re-done in a simpler and more elegant fashion. the egg is still in an echelon of skill far beyond its time, is this code really of the same caliber? or is it using libraries and methods considered standard in its time period? I doubt the codebase itself 'innovative' in any fashion--most likely borrowing from the many other shared state multiplayer games at the time.

Pardon me for being a clueless dumbfuck about this topic, but what about this source code makes it so significant? Does it have something important or are people more interested in it for nostalgia related purposes?

There was a map to the Holy Grail hidden in the source code.

almost nothing. you could have a read through it if you were curious but you won't be able to do anything with it anyways.

>First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Sup Forums programming challenge: write a function to throw the holy hand grenade following this sentences logic

go back to Sup Forums retard

Would be taken down through dmca

>return cd
>get free shit

>leak cd anonymously
>get jack shit
>neckbeards have a read through parts of it and MAYBE write some jerkoff articles about it
>none of them can actually do anything with it due to lack of ability & blizz dcma

really disassembles my binaries

you just come here and take away our dreams when we already have nothing

I'm so glad that the DMCA has perfectly stopped people illicitly copying digital information.

thank you

>wanting to take fame for it
wouldn't seeing what great things people could make with it be good enough? Why would you need to yell: "Yeah Im the guy who leaked it!", what good would that do?

It says here that Reddit users belong in ovens.

Nobody can do a god damn thing with it because blizzard actually does watch out for user modifications/reproductions of their IP. The original starcraft is old enough and has been studied enough so that anyone who really wanted to could probably recreate it in its entirety, which obviously people have attempted. You probably don't remember them though because they've all been stomped out by DCMA. There is not a single percentage of a chance that anyone would be able to do anything with the actual source code.

Dumb question but why would I need the source code for a game that costs like ten bucks and was released 18 years ago? What's to stop them from releasing the source code anyways? I would like it for personal use but compiling it would be a bitch anyways, especially if it requires linker and all that crap. Just opening a project in C# written in VS 2010 with an old frame work takes forever to do and if anything was removed in the newer version of GAS from that framework library good luck getting anything do that afternoon. I can't imagine using a C or C++ dev kit from your off the mill Google ide search.

I once tried to compile a copy of Ms Office 2 or 3.something from 1992 and I couldn't even find/figure out where the source code was to make their C gui user interface. In Java it's like 2 libraries, jframe and something else, but yea the code made zero sense. And worst of all were the comments. They were almost 100% cryptic like " function call to the event search find."

I was expecting too tier work and comments like " This function was created for handling all exceptions when the user types something into the search field under the file menu."

Anyways StarCraft is a bitch to install and SC2 is probably the only real reason to build a gaming PC imo.

SC2 the only reason to build a gaming PC? Plebeian RTS taste.

Want to know how I know you weren't alive 18 years ago?

>get free shit
According to the redditor, Blizzard gave him nothing just a "thanks"

>that costs like ten bucks
It's gratis now.

He is selfish for keeping this out of the hands of programmers- who can bring joy to hundreds of thousands of people - and instead put it in the hands of a crummy company that relies on rehashing other ideas, never to use that code again.

So much could have been made with that source code, new games, mods, even cheats and he nullified that for a handshake and 200 blizzbucks and nothing else. This leddit cuck has messed with the wrong people. I hope he gets into a car crash.

Shame on him.

The important question to ask is: how many AAA titles have source code that people can view to see how the hell they did it?

The only one I can remember right now is Quake 3.

>free shit
>monopoly money and cheap toys
i don't even like starcraft and i would had still published it. also internet is full of illegal stuff. few starcraft mods arent gonna make a difference.

Exactly. Now imagine if all of these old games that aren't really making money anymore went open source, and noobie game developers got to see how shit used to be made.

Look, I mean, the collective approval of Sup Forums is definitely worth a lot less than "monopoly money and cheap toys"

A rare case of social people condemning the antisocial, something that decreased in numbers since Reagan's election....

You think Blizzard wouldn't hunt him down? He already has one check for posting on Reddit. He probably doesn't even have a dog or curtains to protect himself if he uploaded it.

At least he didn't try to get money from them in exchange for the CD. Sony and Valve got the Feds for people trying that.

I heard it's probably because Blizzard is releasing an 4K version of Starcraft soon. But hell, how many companies would let their source codes get out in the open?

Do you know how trivial it is to upload something to the Internet without it being able to be traced back to yourself? If they did not know he had the disk before, he would have had several options for uploading it to some file host and distributing it to the general public.

He got a free pass to blizzcon with full travel expenses and lunch with devs. Also all this shit. How does it feel to be fake news?

Irrational hatred of camgirls

>Diablo 3 bottle opener