/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

deskthority.net/photos-f62/thinkpad-keyboards-and-switches-t15457.html
books.google.co.uk/books?id=PN95ntYZXZsC&lpg=PA139&dq=770xl thinkpad&pg=PA139#v=onepage&q=770xl thinkpad&f=false),
youtube.com/watch?v=nBvfJ0EHtcY
youtu.be/nBvfJ0EHtcY
microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Notebook-Professional/dp/B01GU28ZSU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493968753&sr=8-4&keywords=Thinkpad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Would you prefer to get a T430 or X430? Both have the classic keyboard.

What are all the possible upgrades that can be done to a X230 ?

by X430 i mean X240

by X240 do you mean X230?

X220?

Stop getting gimped by sata 2

Just got a T430 earlier for $200.

>i5-3320
>8GB RAM
>320GB HDD
>Intel HD

Not the best spec, but here in the turd world it's a steal.

I got the T440p for $50 more. With the FHD screen mod, trackpad mod and SSD upgrade, it's the best laptop experience I've had.

Currently I'm running Ubuntu on my T410.
My new job requires me to use Adobe CC, so I planned to switch to Windows. However, I don't have a recovery CD, and it's impossible to obtain a Lenovo ISO for it.

Wat do?

>tfw seriously considering getting a t43p just to have a real IBM thinkpad

It's making me anxious, looking though the wiki I see the best cpu is a single core pentium m 770 that's much slower than current atoms...

Do I pull the trigger? I'm going to regret it right? Is it worth it to just to have the "real" IBM thinkpad experience?

YAS
Finally got my T30 under SVP hell.
Thank you user, who found that brilliant tutorial for avoiding it. THANK YOU user

yes, x230
fuck, i am unusable today

is there an easy way to update the bios of my T430 on linux, or is it better to install windows on an external drive just for the bios flash?

Senpai, get T60. Most of *60 machines are stable as bedrock with no design flaws like T20 and T30.
If it has IBM logo and is 32-bit then it is a real IBM computer with magnesium/titanium-body.

Previous generation keyboard, with BIOS mod to use all the keys
Upgrade screen to IPS
upgrade ram to up to 16 GB (2 ram slots)
Buy an mSATA to put inside the X230, for a second hard drive
SSD for main hard drive instead of slower HDD
Expresscard slot - (expensive) another hard drive, or some USB 3.0 slots, or a plastic cutout that can store things like sd cards, or an eGPU setup with an external monitor for gayman
Buy spare motherboard with better CPU for slightly faster processing
buy palmrest with fingerprint reader if yours doesn't have one
buy camera if yours doesn't have one
9 cell battery over the 6 cell for more battery life
slice battery for even more battery life
different trackpoint texture / blue trackpoint, if you prefer a different trackpoint
X330 mod (bunch of converter things, cut out bezels, install 13.3 inchscreen, or, 1080p 12.5in screen mod (both quite expensive)
Replace thermal paste if temps are shitty

Those were designed by lenovo :/

Can I buy this "x330" from somewhere?

>real IBM thinkpad

They outsourced the manufacturing in the t2x/t3x lines

701cs?

That's a real IBM ThinkPad but the keyboard isn't as good as others.

deskthority.net/photos-f62/thinkpad-keyboards-and-switches-t15457.html

But they still were designed by IBM.

Depends how much of a purist you are to be honest. The fact that IBM started shutting down their factories to outsource to the chinks was the beginning of the end for thinkpads

Just like Nokia
fug

You have to remember that back in the 90s, you really did pay for "IBM quality".

The street price for a 770 back in 1998 was $7540 USD (books.google.co.uk/books?id=PN95ntYZXZsC&lpg=PA139&dq=770xl thinkpad&pg=PA139#v=onepage&q=770xl thinkpad&f=false), inflation adjusted that's $11,277.67 in 2017.

Anyone catch the livestream mod of an x230?

youtube.com/watch?v=nBvfJ0EHtcY

>louis "I can't stop lying for the fuck's sake" (((Rossmann)))
Discarded.

Try explaining it to me rather than shitposting. I just came across this I don't really watch this guy.

I'm in the middle of the video but assuming it works what's the problem? Would be nice if I could do a 1080 mod.

tl;dr
>he lied about being prosecuted by apple
>he's a jew

I'm thinking of getting a T420 (I didn't consult any forums before this and it's Sup Forums™ recommended? Yay!). What CPU should I upgrade it to? The one I'm getting is an INtel core I5. Is it worth upgrading, even?

Just get a T30, or T60. You don't need any of those fancy and expensive machines like T420

>3200x1080
nice

The reason I'm getting one is so I can stop using a fucking Raspberry Pi as a PC. I don't want to downgrade..

also

>expensive
what a meme

Buy Windows

>not being aware lenovo/windows isnt same as basic ootb windows

Pink/girly ThinkPad when?
:(

youtu.be/nBvfJ0EHtcY

I doubt Lenovo picked pink cause it was a 'manly' colour. It's professional.

Damn, that's beautiful. Makes me really disappointed that I have a TN screen on my x220. I have to replace it.

i meant black ok

Well, it has external monitor hooked up to it for that screen real estate
> Raspberry Pi as a PC
Wasted money when orange pi and banana pi exist.
I bought this T30 for 10€ and it has a longer life and is more versatile than raspberry pi. Don't waste money on that other than arduino.
Hopefully never, except they have made some colorful abomination with their E,L and S whatever lines

I figured but its nice to see it drive such a big ratio like a big boy I havent really configured my xorg.conf enough to make it work with external screen but t7300 such a good cpu

I understand, but I want an actual general use laptop. I want something *better* than a raspberry pi. I'm planning on getting an SSD and upgrading the RAM and processor for the thinkpad I'm going to get to turn it into something useable. You're not selling the T30 to me you know

To be completely honest, I have not been able to figure out, how to play videos smooth (consistence framerate).
If I disconnect the external monitor and use the internal monitor (1280x800) then it is a little better
Well, I think T420 is more than plenty for many years to come thanks to it's upgradability. But given the recent years and Intel's fuck ups in their security part, I would rather just use T30 even tho it's cpu is 15 years old.

I cant connect a display at all at the moment since my OS doesnt recognize some things I might switch to linux later on wanted to try this BSD variant wich works well but whatever this laptop isnt bought to make it workable with external monitor

Depending on what screen size I'd want I'd either go with the T430 or the elitebook 2570p.
>why would I want a 2570p when I can get a x230?
Unless you're head over heels with the thinkpad look like some /fa/ggot here are the pros
>better cooling for quad core Ivy Bridge cpus
>socketted cpu so you don't have to pay extra for the soldered on one on the x line
>has a DVD drive which can be swapped for another hard drive
>hardware raid so you can load your Chinese cartoons faster
Etc etc

Just came here to post this. Which one of you fucks made this board and where can I get one?

Only the msata slot is sata2? And yes most msata ssds out preform sata 2 but sata 2 is still ~300 MB/s which is still better mechanical drives and it is still extra storage. Why would I not want to use three drives just because one is sata 2?

Torrent windows
Flip over your laptop
Write down your key
Install with your own key
Was that so hard????

microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Where does everyone get thinkpads for dirt cheap? Even a T420 (4gb, no ssd, tn panel) is at least €200 here.

I'm eyeing one on ebay·.. It's dirt cheap, like £30. Where do you live?

Netherlands

giz us a link

no thanks, I want to buy it

is it possible to install coreboot or a custom bios on x220 without soldering anything?

What new X series is the "go to" laptop in the family? X250?

2570p if thinkpad keyboard is not a must
X200/X220 if it is

:^(

Isn't that a rare model? I mostly meant between x230, x240, x250, x260, etc.

You mean X220 is a rare model or did you X200 ?

2570p. X220 is great it's just too outdated. Is x250 worth it over x230?

>X220 is great it's just too outdated
NO IT IS NOT YOU MONGROL. IT IS VERY MODERN WITH INTEL CORE CPU AND MAX OF 16GB RAM. HOW CAN YOU SAY LIKE THAT ?????? I BET YOU THOUGH YOU WOULD NOT NEED MORE THAN 2MB RAM YOU ASSHOLE. YOU SEEM TO BE IN ONE KIND OF DENIAL. ONCE YOU DOWNLOAD MY 2MB COMPILER WITH ALL THE SOURCE CODE THEN WE CAN TALK YOU FUCKING NIGGER.
YOU ARE FUCKNG NIGGER 11!!!!!

>some new thinkpads come with USB-C + USB 3.1
>others come with Thunderbolt 3
Why can't Lenovo be fucking consistent and use Thunderbolt 3 and not two of them

>literally nobody is trying to figure out a way to circumvent the Intel AMT backdoor

Seriously? Even Lenovo deems it a high enough priority to commit to BIOS updates for models way back to the xx10 series.

Think about that for a second. Most smartphone manufacturers won't commit to critical OS updates for phones that are 2-3 years old, but Lenovo thinks this is such a big deal that they are issuing firmware updates for 7-year-old machines.

Is there AMT on T30 or T60/T61? I don't think so.
It is your fault for trusting the modern machines.

slight impact at the wrong spot and you'll fuck up the lcd on that disgraceful mod for good - It's pretty much just glued on to the borders.

>x220 is outdated.

You're a retard.

Also, I'm suggesting the x230 or x240 over the x220. You can replace the trackpad or keyboard if you want the good ones.

Last thread I asked if my Thinkpad would warn me if im using a lower wattage brick than needed. They said yes but never clarified whether it's Windows what warns you or the BIOS (old version 1.40 on mine maybe that's why no warning) for example. I recieved no warning (with battery attached) so assumed it's all ok but today I decided to do a test without the battery and to my surprise the cpu won't go above 800mhz, which means almost surely it's being throttled by lack of power. Brick is a 65w adapter, laptop is T520 with i5 2520m with igpu, upgraded FHD, 1 msata and 2 hard drives, came with 65w brick, might not sound much but maybe extra hard drives and fhd display are what's consuming more juice. So is there any other way to check if the brick is not enough?

Also sometimes when doing cpu heavy tasks I notice my battery level will go down slightly from 100 to 96% while plugged in. pls help

I literally just had this issue with my upgraded T430. Forgot the adapter I have at work is 65W. It only charges if I go into Battery Saver / Undervolt, and even though it says charging I'm still draining power..

Btw W7 installation was done from clean ISO so no I have none of the Lelnovo tools

>having a thinkpad
>not having an eGPU setup
pls

I have a desktop.

Oh wait, did I say thinkpad?
I don't know anything about 12,5" thinkpads that can handle quad core cpus. two 2,5" drives and that doesn't have a wifi whitelist. KEK

no one cares about your shillbook

We'll see about that :^)

Thisd be perfect if only it took mSATA SSDs. Elitebooks are pretty cool.

what do you need 3rd drive inside for?
It can support mSATA SSDs if you solder 4 wires from wwan port to eSATA port (either internal or dock)

How well does it run as in bugs and straightforwardness? I remember reading about how Lenovo fucked up the wifi on some models and produced lots of unneeded noise and slowdowns, neither Dell or HP had this problem. Noisy signals are a big issue with eGPUs but HP seems to have its shit together regarding this.

l m a o

What do you need more space for is kind of a silly question with the recent takedown of nyaa. Hard drive space is never enough and you should hoard as much as you can.

>It can support mSATA SSDs if you solder 4 wires from wwan port to eSATA port (either internal or dock)
Woah, nice. Might get one then, been considering either an X230 o X240 but this Elitebook is so packed and good looking it's hard to resist. Not like the X series has space for a second 2.5 hard drive anyway.

The only joke here is your dogshit TN panel, friend.

>What do you need more space for is kind of a silly question
user, the biggest mobile HDD/SSD you can get is 2TB. Why waste power in mobile device just to get local space?
I'm using 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD in mine and it's totally enough for everything. If you need more storage you can use your home server for that.

That's a matter of preference.
I hate IPS screen in my other x230 and hp 840g2. My eyes fucking hurt after 30 minutes of using such screen. TN in 2570p is MUCH better than t430/x230 one.
Also It's not a problem for me anyway because it's docked to external 29" IPS ultrawide screen.

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished t420 with 8gb of ram and a 1 year warranty for $250 off amazon. Any reason not to?

amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Notebook-Professional/dp/B01GU28ZSU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493968753&sr=8-4&keywords=Thinkpad

*burns in*

how plug and go is the eGPU?

depends.
750/ti/950/ti/all 10* and AMD gpus require DSDT override, which takes about 5 minutes to do any fully automate (if you already have DIY eGPU software installed).
After that it's all done. You can plug it either when the system is off or when it sleeps. I haven't tested unplugging when sleep, but it should work fine.

speaking of dogshin screens, how's your 300% higher power consumption, eye cancer and ghosting effect?
>TOP KEK

god damnit
dogshit*
and fully automate*

>order 1TB drive for my T430 from Amazon using Same-Day delivery
>Fuck, it's LaserShit delivering
>Unsurprisingly, the drive never arrives.
>Wait 2 days, tell Amazon.
>Get refunded, get a free month of Prime, order the same drive again using Same-Day
>This one actually arrives.
>Yesterday, on my birthday, the first drive I ordered shows up in my mailbox.

Happy Birthday to me?

Who eats the cost? LaserShit, Amazon, or the retailer? If it's the retailer I might return it.

I'm thinking of buying my first Thinkpad because of this option.

Choosing between T420, T430 and T440p.
T420 4Gb

I really want the T440p (I will use external keyboard and mouse), but doesn't come with expresscard, might not work with eGPU, and the T420 lacks USB 3.0 (need it for the Kinect 2).

So mite buy the 430. Hope Sup Forums doesn't get mad because of that Hardmod thing.

Are you hardmodding it?

Also holy shit I had no idea the T440p had no expresscard, that's terrible.

EGPU is really not practical, nor economical.

t440p with dgpu option, if you can live without egpu
t430+quad core cpu without dgpu if you want egpu

The optimist in my would assume that it's the courier who takes the hit
The centrist in me thinks everyone takes an equal hit
The pessimist in me thinks it's the retailer

I do animation/motion graphics. Have a nice desktop setup. But need something to move.

I'm considering eGPU so I can carry around my desktop GPU with a Thinkpad without expending a grand on a gaming laptop.

Then you're gonna want the T430 or T420.