UltraHD Blurays finally cracked

>UltraHD Blurays finally cracked
>Americans with capped connection complain about it being 15GB larger than normal 1080p

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-target-brightness
builds.x265.eu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>The file is 53.30 GB. Torrent files for even the best movies usually cap out around 9 GB, with the right compression creating files as small as ~750 MB for 720p resolution movies. So downloading a 53.30 GB file to port to your 4K TV seems like a bit of overkill.
how is this even possible that tech website writes such crap?

Bad encoding. This shit always happens when new formats get cracked. Give it a few months and the compression will get better.

What are you talking about? This is 1:1 rip. It must be large, and in fact the 55GB rip currently on torrents is really small for what it offers.
Normal Bluray rips are around 25-30GB. Anything smaller is shitty YIFY reencode

Because even """""""journalists"""""""" for these websites are filthy normies with bare technological knowledge that slurp all the shit that groups like YIFY put out. As long as the movie has more than 20 pixels on the screen, it's fine for them.

1080p remuxes are usually around 40 GB, pleb.

100+ GB is already common for multiple-disc releases.

Didn't realize it was a 1:1 rip. But regardless, given time, encoding does get more efficient allowing for reasonable compression and smaller file sizes if you're not a AV enthusiast and are willing to take slight quality hits.

Last bluray I bought (2 days concert I was on) was a total of 159GB.

>wants a lossless, high def format
>complains that its not compressed

>lossless video
top lel

53 GB is actually not that bad, considering that it's 4 times the pixels. I'll occasionally rip my own blurays to watch in another room, or to watch on my computer without buying some stupidly priced software to play them natively. Naturally, since I don't intend to keep the rips for more than a day or two, I don't bother encoding them. A straight, uncompressed 1080p bluray rip generally runs around 20-30 GB.

>53GB
so like 40 minutes on an average 200Mb/s connection.

What does it matter? Oh no, I have to wait a bit longer to download it.

WHOLE 10 MINUTES LONGER THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

>Most americans defend capped internet while thinking they're land of the free

HEVC has better compression than AVC.

>way to big
?

>To render Avatar, Weta used a 10,000 sq ft (930 m2) server farm making use of 4,000 Hewlett-Packard servers with 35,000 processor cores with 104 terabytes of RAM and three petabytes of network area storage running Ubuntu Linux, Grid Engine cluster manager, and 2 of the animation software and managers, Pixar's RenderMan and Pixar's Alfred queue management system

Wikipedia Avatar.

>HDR
>All greyish and colourless
ayyy lmao

Creating the Na'vi characters and the virtual world of Pandora required over a petabyte of digital storage,[110] and each minute of the final footage for Avatar occupies 17.28 gigabytes of storage

I had 60/60 fiber internet with no cap when I lived in the city. Now that I've moved back to a smaller town the best I can get is 50/5 cable with a 250GB per month cap..... Needless to say I mostly download 720p movies instead of 1080p these days. The only other options here are DSL (slow as fuck), satellite (expensive, slow as fuck, tiny data cap of like 10GB per month), or 4G (kinda slow and TINY data caps).

If I couldn't get unlimited 100Mb/s at very minimum I would just move elsewhere.

Has anyone tried encoding a 4K movie to 22 CRF HEVC yet? What file size did you get?

>53gb
>Too big
I mean sire I probrably wouldn't bother with most movies, but of it is one I ever planned on watching more than once I would. I mean storage is cheap as fuck. You can get 4tb drives for $120. And each of those can store 80 movies.

I don't even bother with storing movies. 50GB takes like 30 minutes to download so I just download it whenever I want and delete as soon as I'm done with it. If I ever need it again, I just redownload it.

>Pixar rendering software works on Linux
Based

>53.30 GB
Oh good, it will only take ~10 minutes.

I was born and raised in a rural area, I lived in a major city for 8 years and I'm glad to be back in a small town. The only thing I prefer about living in the city is fast internet, I didn't care for anything else.

I'm planning on buying 5-10 acres and building a house out in the country soon where I'll likely be limited to cellular network internet or satellite. Once that happens I'll probably set up one of my raspberry pi's at a friend's house as a torrentbox hooked up to a large external HDD that I can access remotely and add torrents to. I'll just stop by every couple of weeks and stock up on all the shit I downloaded.

Maybe 5G cellular networks with high data caps will be a thing someday. Wishful thinking of course but one can dream.

I've got 150/150 fibre, but it's only available in certain areas of my city at the moment. 1 TB bandwidth cap, but with the option to pay a little more for unlimited. I've yet to run through the whole 1TB, so I've never felt the need to pay up.

That's because you need an HDR display or run it through an HDR to SDR converter/filter.

>1 TB bandwidth cap
I just dont understand the point of data caps.

If your network is congested enough where you NEED data caps, then just implement them during the busiest hours of the day.

From 6pm to 12am every day you're restricted to 1TB of data use per month.

But from 1am-5pm it's unlimited use.

THAT would fucking make sense, as you get rid of the big downloaders during the hours of 6-12pm when the normies are watching youtube and netflix for hours on end.

I have 1gbps, with no data cap thankfully, I just i cant see why a blanket 1TB data cap would EVER be necessary to preserve quality of service, it's 100% about double dipping because I bet they charge $$ for every 10 or 50GB over their 1TB cap.

Shut up

>Most americans defend capped internet
No, this is ridiculously untrue. If you go to any other place on the internet,you'll see what I mean. You're basing your assumptions on what you see on Sup Forums. Remember, Sup Forums is only a click away from any other board here, and the Trump shills like to shit the place up with their defending of the Annoying Orange. Nobody in their right mind would defend datacaps.

Assuming I can get a server (or seeders) to upload to me at my full download speeds, it would only take me ~8 minutes to download this 53GB file.

Does lav decoder have hdr to sdr converter?

since usual 1080p encodes are ~8GB, one can expect that normal 4K ones will be at most ~30GB

these are early days for UHD rips, so there will be a lot of experimenting. HDR and x.265 might influence the final numbers.

if someone watches 1080p encodes then he doesn't give a fuck about 4k.
If you want compressed 4k then just get netflix subscription.

and yet, 4K yifi-style encodes will be x1000 more seeded than those 53+GB files

>If you want compressed 4k then just get netflix subscription.
All video is compressed and none of it (at least not any you can buy as a consumer) is compressed losslessly either. 4K BR is a lossy encode.

Are you seriously gonna keep the 50+GB mux when a 22 CRF rip looks about the same? Are you retarded?

I don't think so.
You can tune it in mpv though.
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-target-brightness

Storage is cheap though

There ARE consumer options but you're paying out the ass.

$50,000+ for installation and it's a $2500 yearly charge after that or some shit.

Plus you buy all the movies you want to watch directly from them and pay full price (as in a private showing of the latest movie currently out in theaters can be done, but you'll be paying $500+ for 6 people to watch it at your house instead of a real theater)

These systems are obviously for the stupid rich though. So not for normie consumers.

average 200 mb/s, what a dream considering my 450 kbps download speed

>they fell for the 104 TB of RAM meme

It's good but my processor can't handle it :(
It gets laggy and with artifacts

found the retard

3rd world or just realllllly rural?

Last time I had 256Kb/s was in 2004. Then I moved through 2Mb/s > 20Mb/s > 100 > 200Mb/s
Currently it is not possible to get anything less than unlimited 100Mb/s in my area unless you get 4G

Yeah but cheap means it's unreliable (ie clunky mechanical hdd that spontaneously die).

You're 2 reliable choices for data storage are pic related.

>inb4 "just use le cloud XD"
Do you hate having privacy and peace of mind this much?

amazon unlimited storage

>oh no amazon will know what shitty hollywood flicks I like to watch

this, I had 56kbps in 1998, 2mbps in 2001, 10mbps in ~2004. 25mbps in 2008, 50mbps in 2011, 150mbps in 2015, and 1gbps now in 2017.

HDDs don't spontaneously die unless you're buying garbage quality bottom of the barrel drives.

Buy some He8 or He10's and tell me how long it takes one to die.

>tech website
I don't even know how you can read articles written by some Pajeet on some shitty website.

~5 years if you never power cycle.

>watch 2.5GB 1080p YIFY bluray rip
>enjoy it, the quality looks great to me
>add it to my movie collection
>save thousands of dollars not buying dozens of 4TB HDDs
>save $30/month not buying upgraded speed/unlimited data package from ISP
>save hundreds of hours of labor not falling for the private tracker meme
>tfw born without autism and enjoying life

I kept moving up and stopped at 200Mb/s and despite 300Mb/s being available I'm not gonna upgrade. 200Mb/s is more than enough for me now, so I chose slightly smaller broadband bill instead.

Amazon can:
get compromised
delete your shit for any reason they feel like
get hit by ransomware
report all your data to the feds
sell your data

And a whole bunch of other shit. Are you really okay with that?

They do which is why they're always being replaced in servers. It's simply their design uses mechanical components which can and will fail without warning.

>750 MB for 720p resolution movies

>always being replaced in servers
jesus you're a retard. They have 5 year warranties and you can get 10TB for like $500.

They're helium sealed as well, so good luck convincing me they'll all somehow spontaneously die before their warranty is up.

>lossless video
no thanks

This is why I shill 22 CRF HEVC so much. It produces video that is hard to tell apart from the original. In fact I'm sure 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference from 22 CRF HEVC from the source especially if the superior 10-bit encoder was used.

YIFY is only good because most people watch it on small screens or downscale the video else you'd throw up if you say that 1080p YIFY rip on a 60" screen.

I had TV + internet when I had 150/150mbps, I still had ~8 months left on my contract however so I couldn't change anything about it without upgrading.

So I upgraded to 1gbps internet and dropped my TV since I was no longer watching broadcast TV (and with 1gbps uncapped i can download everything I need).

So I'm actually paying about $20 less than I was with 150mbps and TV service.

Yeah but x265 is still shit so there's that

Alright m8, have fun crying when your 4TB clunky mechanical shitbird decides to not work anymore at a random time without warning.

Do you want to tell us where the hard drives touched you?

The rest of the world will continue using hard drives because they're cheaper EVEN when you account for failures.

Sorry, but literally every major company on the planet is using HDDs for storage, not flash based, and generally not tape storage either unless it's for long term archival type storage.

Nope, latest encoder has at least 50% better compression over H264.

See for yourself:
builds.x265.eu

top lel. Are you x265 developer by any chance?

No, just someone who realized how retarded it was to keep blu-ray muxes after they filled 90% of my 2TB hard drive.

And only does so at low bitrates. At high bitrates all standards start converging. So much that for a long time I didn't even bother with H264, MPEG2 did it equally okay.

Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz Guiz

It's 720 duuuude

that webm has still better quality than netflix's 4k

fucking this
you're retarded, the industry uses HDDs for a fucking reason.

>it's a retard writes an article about movie data sizes without knowing the difference between lossless and lossy compression thread

Imagine if VP9 was enabled.
Stupid Hiro, everyone is saving on bandwith, except his stupid ass. Sup Forums tech team is absolute worst.

Nigga its only 53 gb i download that shit in 15 mins

No shit but using arbitrary bitrates you pulled out of your ass isn't how you're supposed to encode video. That's why CRF mode was invented.

In 10-bit HEVC:
0 = literal lossless video

4 = extremely hard to tell from source, must analyze frame by frame on a large screen to see the differance

10 = hard to tell the differance, must analyze frame by frame

16 = very high quality

22 = high quality

28 = low quality

+28 = shit

vp9 would melt Sup Forumss thinkpads

newer hardware generally supports HEVC hardware decoding.
Any modern video card plus most android tv boxes have it now.
Even my phone and tablet support it.

18 is considered high quality, where the fuck are you getting 22 being high quality?

I'm perfectly fine with my 9-10GB BD rips

I sincerely hope you don't actually think blu-ray stores lossless video...

most do but only 8bit. Even GTX970/980 can't decode hevc 10bit. For 10 bit you need either GTX960/GTX950, or GTX1000 series card.
From iGPU, Kaby Lake is required.

From personal encoding runs over multiple movies. Spent weeks doing it to see which CRF I was gonna use to get rid of the cancerous blu-ray mux tumours I had.

must sucks to be poor

apparently the nvidia shield tv supports 10bit HEVC so that's a relief for me.

lol kay. Well fuck yourself, everything is subjective and you projecting your "good enuf 4 me™" bullshit isn't gonna mean jack shit to other people.

Everyone has their OWN levels of tolerance to artifacts and shit, especially people who have spent hours and hours working on various encodes over the past few years, it becomes stupidly easy to spot compression artifacts and banding.

I personally would refuse to download something at anything under CRF 20

More like I value my data and want to keep it with me for as long as possible. Soon I'm going to buy an m-disc burner and save all my rips I worked very hard for on 100GB discs and stash them in my safe.

But if you have Core i7 2600K or never, you won't have a problem with hevc 10bit 60fps playback.
Must be i7 tough, I tried it on i5 haswell and cpu was on fire.

CRF is a non metric for plebs and can't be compared as implementations are different. Real deal is the bitrate.

Good luck getting more than 5mbps from Spectrum
I pay for 70 but currently get 0.5

you burnt more electricity on your shitty encodes than it would cost you to buy HDDs/stack of empty Bluray discs

>I personally would refuse to download something at anything under CRF 20
If only these clowns actually used CRF instead of pulling a random bitrate out of their ass. 90% of encodes out there are fucking shit.

why is that allowed?

I pay for 940/880

well I meant in that I can watch those videos in my living room, I don't intend to buy an i7 to build a living room PC.
Plus my PC has an aging 3570k so I'm reliant on my GPU for 10bit HEVC.

not a lot of ISP even offer speeds that high, even of they do, no one can afford it

70 what? euro/pounds/yens?

lmao, I did it on my A10 running at 3.8GHz using 1.25v and I only pay 14¢/kWh where I live.

Must suck living in krautland paying like $2/kWh.

lol, it's all about where you live.

This is residential service.

Can be got for $70/month.