Why do americans have such a big problem with credit cards with chip...

Why do americans have such a big problem with credit cards with chip? They offer a better security and protect your from fraud while being as fast as the non chip ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV#Cardholder_verification
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenization_(data_security)
consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because our government can use the chip to track us at any time and any place.

A number of reasons for me personally.

>Not many places have the new readers, so I always have to ask "swipe or chip", and there have been a few times where the person has no idea what I'm talking about. It's inconsistent as hell.

>Supposed to be faster, but it's not. I have to put my card in and wait almost 30 seconds while it does the transaction.

>having a botnet card at all
>not buying everything with cash or gift cards

>posted from my iPhone

americans are retarded and went for chip & signature instead of chip & pin like the rest of the world.
so worst of both worlds:
slow due to chip
insecure due to signature

Some places even have the new readers but disable the chip slot so you still have to swipe it, which is the fucking worst.

>being retarded and paying 5% more than everyone else

Elon meme aside, they are quite slow with technology. They would be stagnant if they could be. I mean tech for finance, telecoms, broadcast, internet infrastructure etc.

>be in UK
>chip and PIN rolled out from 2005
>universally at every POS very quickly
>items rung up
>prompted to enter card into slot
>3.5 seconds later enter 4 digit pin and press green button
>3 seconds later
>transaction complete

For some reason American payment terminals take 30 seconds to verify a transaction. Even for fucking slow restaurant wireless card payment machines the total time is never over 10 seconds. What is going on with Americans? Why don't they even have IBAN yet?

>Even for fucking slow restaurant wireless card payment machines the total time is never over 10 seconds.
>Even
clearly you have no idea how EMV works.
offline verification is obv faster than online, but less secure.

>while being as fast as the non chip ones
That's exactly it, in America they're slower than swiping. Not to mention it's hit or miss that a place uses the chip reader so you just default to swiping unless the cashier says you're doing it wrong. It's a retarded inconvenient clusterfuck and just one of the reasons I stick to cash.

we didn't 'go for it'
they handed the option out and said "its faster than swipe", take away the option to use swipe, then give us a middle finger when we said "hey, you lied!"
All for the Banks of course..

Its not offline you stupid fuck. Offline is contactless. I'm talking about using chip and pin WITH a slow ass wireless one. You can't do that offiline.

>paying with the plastic jew

>offline verification
Mobile payment processors use cellular for online capability.

are you afraid that your gov. will see your grocery list and dildo purchases? dont be an idiot, use anonymous buying for what really matters

HELLO ASSHOLES
You can buy a credit card duplicator and in the magnetic strip code, change ONE FUCKING DIGIT and you will never have to use the chip again!

do you even know the different CVMs?
most UK cards can't do online verifications at all.

Chips don't bother me, it's that "contactless" shit like Visa Paywave that annoys me. But hey, just get one of those tinfoil sleeves and forget about it.

>being retarded and paying 5% more when using cash

Because I can go around ans scan 1000 people in a day without them knowing they just gave me $1. A swipe card on the other hand would require physical access to the card.

Idiot. You pay a fee just to activate those cards. The company mak- EARNS $5 every time you make a terrible decision.

>Hi I've never been to the united states

Because Americans, apart from being stupid, lack the necessary infrastructure to handle it

That's contactless, not chip

Chips don't equal NFC my yankee friend

Using a card leaves a record of where I was and when I was there. I don't care if that record actually gets used against me, I'm not giving anyone the chance.

I have never spent extra money on a gift card. Literally everyone I've ever bought has been loaded with the same amount I paid for. $25 for a card means the card has $25 on it, $50 means $50, and so on.

I'm Aus. Don't think they offer that anymore.

I'm talking about VISA PREPAIDS not GIFT CARDS to wal mart

>government/merchants can't track cash and gift cards
so naïve

He didn't say prepaid debit cards, he said GIFT CARDS

I don't really use gift cards unless I'm given one and cash is much harder to track.

>dumbfuck American who not surprisingly doesn't understand how transactions work trying to tell me how terminals in the UK operate

just tell me the CVMs used instead of insults

cash has serial numbers and hardly anyone uses it.
it's not that much more work to track.
FBI busts people using tainted notes all the time.

What the fuck are you talking about you clueless twat? The CVM/CVV is a 3 digit number on the back of a card. What the hell does that have to do with a transaction in a restaurant?

Again, I didn't say it was impossible to track. What I'm sating is it's certainly harder than a card that's registered to my SS# that records the location/date/time/amount of every purchase I make.

>Why can't 321.4 million people instantly switch to a new way of doing things without any fuckups?
Typical eurothough

so you are the clueless one.
CVM is cardholder verification method, see:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV#Cardholder_verification

I have card with a chip. It doesn't stop fuckers from getting your number and buying shit off the internet.

Wait... Really? That could come in handy.

>It doesn't stop fuckers from getting your number and buying shit off the internet.
bullhsit.
EMV is capable of tokenization, so primary account number (PAN) is replaced with a surrogate value called a token. stealing some old token is worthless.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenization_(data_security)

He's referring to the UK whose transactions are offline and are typically processed at the end of the day.

>Why do americans have such a big problem with credit cards with chip? They offer a better security and protect your from fraud while being as fast as the non chip ones.

The banks never started the process and now that they have, our checkout terminals are a lot slower when using the chip. When I hear people complaining I have to tell that that they're much better off using the chip.

uhh - we don't? first time ive ever heard this

just erase the erasable numbers after backing them up somewhere safe (like in your head)

And none of that stops the Indian in the call center making 11 cents an hour from reselling card numbers and pins online. The management knows but can't stop it.

>country of 321 million people
>pretty much everybody uses chips already, I don't know a single person that has a card without a chip
>>lack the necessary infrastructure to handle it

but that will be worthless information in an EMV token system.
see deployed systems like Apple Pay.
only in the beginning banks were stupid enough to let anyone add random cards to Apple Pay.

consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

You're never held liable for lost or stolen cards. All it does is protect the bankers.

Doesn't really matter though, they're all super fast now.

It stops swipers, it doesn't stop the waiter at the restaurant from just writing down the number. It happened to me and my chip card just last month.

Erasable numbers? American cards don't have eraseabke numbers. I have an Amex platinum, chase sapphire reserve, and chase sapphire preferred. All have chips, all have permanent numbers on the card. My csr number was stolen, probably by waiter, and used to buy shit on the internet. Now I have it text me every single time the card is used.

They could already do that with the old school magnetic strip cards if they wanted to you dingus.

that's not using EMV tokens.
you could mandate EMV tokens for all CNP (card not present) transactions, so PAN and CCV become worthless.

>40 shekels have been deposited into your account

This. All they have to do is take a quick picture of the front and back of the card or write down all the card info and they can buy all sorts of shit online.

A couple months ago my friend had his debit card info stolen and they racked up $2800 on it in a couple weeks before he found out.

Well then how would you use your card for online payments?

Some authorized token generator like Android Pay and Apple Pay.

I'd be fine with two-factor auth, but the vast majority of the public? Shieeeeeet.

chips are slow

your money will also get stolen if the service is compromised, even when using chip

you should be using cash anyhow

why do you retards actually recommend botnets?

>not using a cash back credit card and paying 5% more
>using cash that can't be canceled/chargebacked when stolen

>using identical abbreviations within the same topic and expecting me to know what you mean
>implying physical Card Verification Number isn't more widely known and discussed than cardholder verification methods

I don't fucking know what verification methods each and every POS I've used at different places uses, it varies a fucktonne. All I know is that a few times in my life things have been 'down' meaning something to do with internet. Meaning online.

Alot of times they aren't as fast. Most of the shitty card readers we use are 10 years old, and had a chip based option because retailers didn't want to have to replace them all in the future. Now that retailers are being forced to use this function, they are realizing how slow these old Point of sale systems are at processing chips.

Are Americans really this dumb? Cash is shit on a night out. Unless you never go out or only go on pre-planned journeys.

It's almost like you didn't realize that the EU has similar numbers of inhabitants and DID manage it without a hitch.

>All I know is that a few times in my life things have been 'down' meaning something to do with internet. Meaning online.
nope.
you can do offline-pin to verify that you are the card holder but the terminal still might want to check your credibility online before accepting the transaction
>I don't fucking know what verification methods each and every POS I've used at different places uses, it varies a fucktonne.
talk to foreigners that have credit cards that can't do offline-pin (most late chip&pin adapters) and wonder why none of their credit cards work in the UK.

>visit Germany
>want to pay with credit card
>it's cash-only
great switch right there

wow, what kind of a store is Germany? Never been there, must be pretty big.

I live in London. The only foreigners with foreign chip and PIN cards are European who had the tech rolled out at roughly the same time as we did. I barely see Americans anymore and even years and years ago there was very, very few. Also my American stepsister and her bf were over here around February and using their cards just fine.

>wow, what kind of a store is Germany?

A halal one.

any bakery

I used to work in a shop in the UK.

Chip:
>press card button
>they put card in machine
>wait 5s
>chip
>5s
>paid

Signature:
>press card button
>they put card in machine
>wait 5s
>place to sign prints
>tell them to sign and I'll need to see the back of their card
>they put it away anyway
>ask again
IF IT'S ACTUALLY SIGNED:
>wait for supervisor (10s - 5 minutes)
>press a button
>wait 5s
>paid
IF THEY DON'T, AND DON'T HAVE A PHOTO ID (Americans never did for some reason)
>Explain they have to pay some other way because they don't understand the basics of how cards work

What the fuck takes so long with the chip in the US?

Takes longer. And it's inconsistently deployed. Some places, if they have chip readers and if they work, will have different procedures for debit and credit transactions.

Basically it's a crap shoot every time you go to a register.

Because exploding ATMs

>Takes longer.
...because American retailers don't want to properly implement it

because Amerifats are stubborn, paranoid conspiracist shit heads who don't like change

In the US:

>50/50 chance that the card reader has chip functionality enabled

>swipe card
>reader makes angry beeping noise
>insert chip
>wait 20-30 seconds
>signature prompt pops up
>sign and hit accept
>wait another 20-30 seconds
>transaction now complete, please take card

or

>insert chip
>wait 20-30 seconds
>card reader makes angry beeping noise
>swipe card
>wait 5 seconds
>signature prompt pops up
>sign and hit accept
>transaction complete

It sucks, you never know if a vendor is set up to accept chip cards or not. Almost all of the card readers themselves have chip functionality but a lot of the stores still aren't set up for it.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of ugly nigger shit with down syndrome.

You should shoot the card readers

let's see how chip&pin can beat 0 seconds which it takes for swiping while the cashiers checks out the items.
prolly doesn't even want signature when it's < $100.

It's really not that big of a deal, it just adds an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute of standing in line per person. Then you have elderly people who are completely lost when they have to do anything more than swipe and sign....

In the US you aren't held accountable for your card being compromised. Any delay, or change really, in the transaction process for the sake of security is not seen as worth it.

I just pay in bitcoin usually

Here in NL:

For amounts under 25 euro:
>press card against contactless reader
>wait 2 seconds
>paid

For larger amounts:
>press card against contactless reader
>wait 2 seconds
>"pin required"
>wait 2 seconds
>enter pin
>wait 0.5 seconds
>paid

>And it's inconsistently deployed.
No shit. That happens every single time a society replaces a thing -- there is a messy and slightly annoying transition period.

Of course, the harder people drag their feet to upgrade, the longer this period takes.

did you miss
>Beginning in October 2015, that liability will shift to the merchants from the card issuer in certain cases unless they have replaced or upgraded their card acceptance and processing systems to use chip-enabled devices and applications to process payment transactions.
merchants have very good reasons to switch

>put chip card in reader
>wait 15 seconds
>transaction goes through
>reader immediately starts buzzing with the prototypical "card declined" sound

interesting.
do you have some quotable citation like a visa press release about >50% acceptance and usage of visa paywave or whatever scheme you are using.
thanks.

also:
using modern self-service checkouts?

Yeah and they each have their own governments and are less spread out

>and I'll need to see the back of their card
no one gives a fuck if you sign the back of your card.

>new readers
...is ancient goddamn fossil tech like chip cards "new" tech in goddamn burgerland?? I've used them for well over a fucking DECADE.

I've seen chip readers for well over a decade as well, they were just used as stripe readers

>>new readers
>...is ancient goddamn fossil tech like chip cards "new" tech in goddamn burgerland?? I've used them for well over a fucking DECADE.
Post offices still use the old swipe readers, for example.

>New readers
Australia doesn't have this problem :^)

>50/50 chance that the card reader has chip functionality enabled
Where do you live? Here in NYC the transition completed early last year, there were a few malfunctions but I haven't had to swipe since some time last summer

Because here in Clapistan, [[[merchants]]] are too cheap to upgrade their systems to take them, and on the odd occasion they do, they are too cheap to get decent internet service so it's not slow as shit.

>why do Americans ...
Stopped reading there, saged, hidden