/hpg/ - Headphone General

"Learn to use a Parametric Equalizer" Edition

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

this is too lewd

thanks for the anime

nice finger toes lmao

Poster in the prev thread was claiming that soundstage can be created through EQ, others disagreed. Who's right?

I disagreed. I also got an eq recommendation for a certain headphone at one point not too long ago, and it didn't add any sound stage whatsoever. Not really possible imo.

That applies to headphones, yes. There isn't much left of the localization process needed to perceive actual soundstage once we replicate two channel audio mixed with and for loudspeakers through a pair of headphones. What we have left is mostly just FR differences and that can be altered with equalization.

It can, Sennheiser made a dac that could do it automatically

god I love animus

but animus don't love you

pixels m8

It's a cartoon

My belief is that soundstage can be artificially created with a dip in the upper midrange and a peak in the treble.

For fuck's sake lads, the last op was good. What the fuck is this shit

Damn I loved my Sony MDR -V6's but the right ear just stopped working. Anyone have a recommendation for something at a similar budget? $50-100

HD800s are free if you steal them

they also sound worse than mdr-v6

HM5/XPT100, MM185/CB-1, SHP9500/558/HE350

You could have prevented this

Anyone have experience EQ'ing the Superlux 669/SR950? My room has an air conditioner and isn't a very suitable enbiroment for my 668B so I switched back to the SR950 for isolation and their bassier than I remembered. There doesn't seem to be a FR Graph for them on google I not quite sure where to start.

FiiO A3 for Sabre U2, or FiiO Q1?

It's art. Last thread was well over bump limit and minutes away from archive. You have no excuse.

Sup Forumsuys, what's the final verdict on this headphone

>AKG

It's gonna be tinny and have piercing highs.

Is RHA MA750 any good?

>It's gonna be tinny and have piercing highs.

That sounds like the Velheissers to me.

>>piercing high
>Veilheissers
I'm not sure you know what "veil" means

He's right to an extent. Its also due to the placement of the driver relative to your ear, and how the sound plays with the housing, like resonances and reverb and shit.

I was asleep
there was nothing i could have done (im in AUS)

Do you not have a script running alarms you when generals are reaching bump limit?

TL:DR cheapest possible IEMs that would be some kind of equivalent to the Audio-Technica ATH-50.

>Budget
Up to around the same price as ATH-M50/M50X, can be flexible.
>Location
Sweden, the link below have price comparison of IEMs easily available for me to purchase:
prisjakt[DOT]nu/kategori.php?m=s317823470
>Source
Smartphone/MP3 player
Preferrably with the traditional 3.5mm plug because my MP3 doesn't support the modern 3.5mm plugs that include a microphone (need to use an adapter).
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
I was content with the comfort level of my previous Soundmagic E10 IEMs for reference.
>Sound signature
As close to the ATH-M50 as possible.
>Past headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50, I absolutely love them.

Soundmagic E10, I thought these sounded pretty good before I got my ATH-M50 but when I try them now I think they sound rather limited and "tin canny".

Someone has a hard-on.
I just got some recently, and they don't sound that amazing. My K7XX are a lot nicer.

Wow, you did it again, dumb autist.

I don't claim to be an expert on anything audio. But I've been rocking my ATH-M50s for 3 years now and I love them as much as I did day 1.

I just need a pair of IEMs to have something for situations that require a bit more portability.

Panasonic's IEM's are pretty good.

Will weebs ever learn how to properly draw feets?

Oddly enough, the ath im50s sound really similar. I got them from cdjapan, but turned out not to like the ergonomics so much.

Carbo Tenore, 1more Triple Driver, SE215.

Something by KZ if you want cheap.

best headphones

How are they actually? Don't think I'll ever get a pair but interested.

>yanking your crank to chinese cartoons

Thoughts on Dragonfly Red?

>no interest in headphones or high end audio
>not really much interest in music
>buy HD800's exclusively to use them in public and piss off poor people

Feels good.

Sup Forums has no fucking mods

>not really much interest in music

Sounds like a sad life friendo.

test

>Not taking a loan to buy Sennheiser Orpheus Mk II

pleb

test2

Look at your own toes dummies. They are long

Looks like we found our new OP

Compared to the V6, less boomy bass, more mids, smooth highs, and more resolution.

Not even memeing, I love mine.

i want a combo of mic and headphones

>budget
overall $100 (this includes a mic)

>location
US. i need domestic cause foreign takes too long.

>source
usb in my pc.

>type
closed full size

>comfort level
comfort over sound quality but not that much

this will be my first set of dedicated over ear headphones. and i need enough room to buy a not shit mic as well.

Status CB-1 and whatever cable you can find with a mic built in.
Or any headphone and a Zalman clip on.

Nice. I don't actually like the V6 but can't justify getting the CD900ST except because
>anime

I'm super gluing my current headphones back together for the second time now and I want off this ride. I need some comfy headphones I can wear all day and sound nice

>budget
Anywhere up to $350

>location
USA

>Source
PC, laptop, ipad, iphone

>type
closed

>Comfort level
Must be super comfy.

>previous headphones
I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-1RBTs. I've had them for a while and they're just starting to fall apart. I never used the bluetooth and dont care about that shit.

Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

>comparing open to closed

This would be a much better OP image, much more tasteful
And this is coming from a non-weeb

Someone redpill me on these, is the sound quality good? Is it neutral or does it has bass boost horseshit?

To all of you guys I want to advice a model of closed studio monitors, the model no one seems to know about. It's GMP 8.35D GMP is for German Maestro. Good sound isolation and natural sound, decent stage. Very durable, you can literally throw them at a wall. May seems tight or a little uncomfortable with default cushions. They have velour cushions at official site. I bought myself a pair and comfort became perfect, my ear touches nothing inside them. Someone may not like a design though it seem industrial to me and I like it a lot. Also comfortable enough for me to wear on the street.

What's audeze warranty like?
Looking into used LCD2s, theyre cracked but the dude is saying they'll repair them

have the dude get it repaird before buying it from him?

Audeze do a transferrable waranty so if u buy used you can keep the warranty. I think the warranty is 3 years, so you'd be safest buying a 2016 model preowned. You can pay for them to repair if its out of warranty. Just contact Audeze and ask.

Where is the head/earphone tier link in the OP.
I got mine two years ago from said list and it start wearing down because of constant use.

I need a new one now but the list is gone.

Fat bass boost from 50Hz til 200Hz peaking at 80-100Hz of 8ish dB. You'll want the 681's or its other varients, 681F and 681B.

Does anyone know how to get blood out of velour? It ruins the texture. If I can't, does anyone know a good place to get genuine replacement pads for Sennheiser HD595?

I swear there's channel imbalance on this chink DAC/Amp
What can I do to objectively prove it's there?

opinions? looking for a clean, analytical headphone under $500

have already tried beyerdynamic 880's, have a pair of audio technica m40x

"In our tests, although the sound wasn’t horrid, the highs were too hot and the lows were too loud and boomy for us to call the HD 380 Pro a pair of studio headphones. If you want to hear the mids properly, you need to crank the levels so much that the highs start to hurt."

Not sure if being memed or not.

Anyone have a Fulla 2 and a O2? Can you hear any difference between the two? Got a Fulla 2, thinking about getting a second amp and dedicating the Fulla 2 to DAC/pre-amp only.

Nevermind looks like I'm either going def in one ear or going crazy.

Clean your ear, maybe? I got back some hearing by doing that.

Lovely image.

Just about the worst USB sound card you can buy. Pic related.

Accuracy multimeter, oscilloscope, RMAA

*accurate

ATH-M70X?

Owned both and prefer the fulla 2. Don't waste your money.

what type of music do you guys listen to that has no bass

>Budget
$180-$250

>Location
western europe

>Source
pc with Realtek ALC1150 audiochip on z170 mobo. going to add Magni 2U and Modi2U in the coming months

>Type of headphone
full size over ear

>Open or closed
open

>Comfort level
toptier

>Sound signature
neutral / warm (classical, jazz, ambient, [art]rock

>Past headphones
i have an audio technica ath-msr7

headphone should have detachable cable and preferably non-proprietary

XPT-100 isnt the same as HM5's btw. Pads are nicer but the sound is worse.

ambient/drone, some jazz i guess (for instance guitar/clarinet duos, no instruments in the lower registers).
But pretty much all the music i listen to aside from that has bass

Not much but plenty that lacks presence in the lowest two octaves.

I'm new to this kind of shit, and I fall in love with the its sound. What amplifier do you use ?

>Americans unable to take loans greater than $5000 to pay for $50,000 life saving surgery
> but they can take a loan for $50,000 treble cannons

Zallman clip is garbage, you're better off with a lapel Mic for the sound consistency alone

I need some new IEM's since my old ones broke

>budget
100€

>location
eu

>source
desktop pc, nexus 5

>type
IEM

>comfort
enough to be used while lifting and running

>previous headphones
a bunch of sennheiser cx earbuds, hifiman re-400, which I really liked

heard the se215, and the etymotic mc5 are good

What was your impression on the MSR7's sound? Could help with narrowing down options.

If comfort is important, Shure with oli tips wins. I'd pick MK5 over MC5. Etys and Shures are really different. Ety is deep fit canalphone with fairly neutral response. Shures are inverse fit IEMs that block the ear canal and the SE215 is very bassy. Both isolate a lot, Etymotics more.

Cold water, let it sink in it. Add some soap and rub gently. Just don't use hot water or the blood will stick. I don't know how it works on velours but that's generally how you wash out blood.

Sennheiser sells replacement pads through their site or you can get them from other vendors.

It's definitely not a neutral headphone.

The driver placement and resonances alter the FR which you fix with EQ. Reverb times in headphones are extremely short and does not account for the sound on its own. Interference can still be a problem but that's unrelated to soundstage.

I didnt consider the mk5 since they dont exist on amazon, but it seems I can get them for 60€ from reputable sellers on ebay
the SE215's look a bit "clunky" for sport use don't they?

>What was your impression on the MSR7's sound? Could help with narrowing down options.
The sound is really good. Balanced imo, but lacks a bit of depth/soundstage that I have experienced in open-back headphones. Unfortunately it's tight making my head hurt after an hour of use. The pads are soft, but it's not that comfortable. Also not too big of a fan of total sound isolation.

If you like bass don't get MSR7

>What amplifier do you use ?

The one in the picture.

>It's definitely not a neutral headphone
Must be the same user who's been shilling them for a few weeks.

Redpill me on M50x vs DT 770

On one hand, the M50x have the legendary value headphones reputation. But when I googled, most people from e.g. head-fi prefer 770. Also no one seems to agree on the sound signature from the 770, or which impedance version is worth getting

Are you black?
1) Yes - -> M50X
2) No - -> DT770 80 Ohm Premium/Edition

Need a pair of good headphones that are less than 25 bucks.
I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser 201, but then I found out about the JVC HAS180, who's a bit cheaper but from what I know JVC is quite good.
Which one should I pick? Any alternatives?

DT770 is what the M50x is trying to be.

And it doesn't have garbage comfort stock.

Well, look at the FR.

I own it and it's pretty neutral... bass is slightly stronger than it should be, but the overall response doesn't feel that different than my HD600.

Sound-wise, it's much closer to the HD600 than HD598 (which was my old main set) is.

>need to crank volume up...
I use mine at 8-9 o'clock @ fulla2, which isn't exactly loud. It sounds better under 10 o'clock. But it definitely needs getting used to, which the random reviewer clearly didn't do.

I only bought mine after watching/reading a lot of reviews, which were generally very positive, so I'd call that an odd review.

I'd suggest the Magni 2 Uber for 2nd amp. The O2 isn't really competitive to it, according to specs and reviews.

They both try to be transparent (no coloring the sound / altering the FR). Schiit does it as a brand (all products).

They look so cute and by their specs they go down to the 30hz for such tiny speaker, altho people commended that they don't go that loud which won't be a problem for me since I don't have a separate flat and listen on medium volumes mostly. Planning to audition them along with JBL 305, they go for 600€ vs 300 € for JBL 305.

DT 770 has much more treble than M50X, be mindful of that.

>board with amp / MMU stack
>open
>toptier
Sennheiser HD600 (budget might limit you to 2nd hand), HD599, AKG k702. In that order.
>mmustack in a few month
Instead, increase your budget now and go for the HD600. Headphone matters a lot more than dac/amp, and the HD600 is the best purchase of those three.
And there's no benefit to the stack over a Fulla2 unless you go very high volume (>3 o'clock @ knob). F2 is also better value/cost and a much better starter amp, due to its size and i/o ports.