Is the end for JavaScript?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I sure hope so. Chances are that - given DOM access and GC support lands soon - most new things but ten liners of JS eventually will use it.

YES!
This kills the kode artisans.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on web assembly? Does it have a fixed instruction set?

Hopefully, I never liked javascript

>Can someone give me a quick rundown on web assembly?
It's a - likely designed to be secure - bytecode specification. It can be targeted by C++ and Rust now.
In theory, you could have a runtime embedded in other applications than browsers and independent from JS machinery.
What is keeping it from being used by the masses is the lacking support for garbage collected languages and an extensive browser API.,Right now, you can mostly call JS wrapper functions.
>Does it have a fixed instruction set?
As opposed to?

No

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly

Similar to SPIR-V, you take high level code in the language of your choice, and convert it to bytecode.

Thing is I can't really see Microsoft and Apple going for it and offering good support. They're still frequently behind on standards especially when they'd allow desktop applications to move to the web. Something that has to be at the front of their thoughts with their increasingly locked down platforms that yet still have to be able to access the internet.

If I was Adobe though I'd be investing heavily in moving my whole suite over to something that could be entirely web based. Seems like the only way going forward to completely own your own distribution channel and not let anybody else take a cut.

That being said, HTML and CSS need a purge as well.

Should I stop learning Javascript memeworks now and just learn WebAssembly ,
is it a language in itself or do i need to learn a language to use it

Well this is some bullshit. As someone trying to get into webdev (and failing miserably so far) I'm sick and fucking tired of the new shit that comes out for it every 2 weeks. Makes learning react and vue and all this other stuff discouraging as hell.

I kind of want to start looking into backend stuff because (and again I don't really know much about this stuff) it looks like it's much more consistent, I just have that whole not really knowing shit about programming thing going on.

What do?

>Should I stop learning Javascript memeworks now and just learn WebAssembly ,
no, best case it will take another five years to be picked up in masses
>is it a language in itself or do i need to learn a language to use it
right now it is only interesting if you want to port your C++ game to the browser
iirc godot supports that

JS probably isn't going anywhere, and even if wasm takes over a chunk of what we have to use js for today it seems likely that js->wasm will be a thing to serve the one language audience.

> I'm sick and fucking tired of the new shit that comes out for it every 2 weeks.

WebAssembly has been in the works for like 5 years dude, also you sound like you're too old and retarded to be working with computers

continue using vue
remember, this isn't another framework but a whole new environment that will take a lot of time to be usable for common web applications

let's not forget WebAudio still isn't done

What is the use if it is compiled to bytecode?

AHHHHHH WTF IS ALL THIS SHIT MAYNE
People were also shilling Go Elm Elixir and all this other stuff in /wdg/

Is Python and PHP for webdev still safe in terms of Future Job Prospects.

Javascript is a lost cause anyway with Meme frameworks coming out way too often with a bunch of extras needed to compile/transpile and all this other bs

Native apparently runs faster and more secure

Fair enough thanks user. I just needed to vent some frustration about constantly hearing that X or Y is the next hot thing in the biz.

>Is Python and PHP for webdev still safe in terms of Future Job Prospects.

dude if you're getting into programming for the money you're in the wrong industry pal

Once you learn one language the others will be easier.

Being able to pick up and learn new things is just a part of the industry to get used to. You'll quickly become like the rest of us annoyed less at how slowly development of new standards happens, and more at how long some of the fucking browser engines drag their feet when it comes to new stuff you need to use for a project.

HTML and CSS haven't changed that massively though. We've just gotten much better tools than we used to have when we started preaching about how tables were evil and trying to do reactive designs.

I don't care about the money desu
I mean if these jobs will still even be in demand exist for someone entering the industry

demand for generic shitty web dev is decreasing because of cloud hosting, the new dotcom bubble, and consulting organizations getting everything done

you don't sound like a computer scientist so you shouldn't be working on computer systems, there are enough crappy systems already

It's JIT compiled, but has better semantics than JS. Among faster download and compile times.

>Is Python and PHP for webdev still safe in terms of Future Job Prospects.
Python never was, bottom lined. PHP has tons of legacy code, so yes.

more like
>dude if you're getting into programming for the fast, easy money you're in the wrong industry pal

The fun wanes once you get 30+

There's still a lot of php stuff out there, it doesn't hurt to have it on your resume along side other stuff.
Lots of companies have their own internal server side pseudo languages its more important to demonstrate you can learn new things.

You should kill yourself and quit fagging up the thread.

You sound like a massive elitist twat. Take your (you) and fuck off

So it;s basically Java Applets 2.0?

Don't worry, he will burn out fast enough.

more or less, but without the halfassed security and the loading bar.

t. enteprise software code monkey

It can kill many thing, but javascript isn't on that list.

ok well my other path to a job is getting into data analytics or visualization which
seems safer with a better salary I guess, it's just my grades are shit as a barrier to entry as opposed to webdev

webassembly means a lot for webGL games, but Javascript is not going anywhere.

I mean, if you want to, you don't have to use javascript today, every FUCKING language compiles to javascript

Definitely using its whole ass.

Loading bars are actually making a comeback. Look at LinkedIn.

He doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about user, he's just upset that people without degrees are coming into the tech industry.

He's trying to spread negativity.

>Definitely using its whole ass.
I mean validating the bytecode isn't an afterthought and therefore will - hopefully - not result in giant exploits.
>Loading bars are actually making a comeback. Look at LinkedIn.
Well, I retract my statement. Oh well, the internet has gone to shit already.

I need to know the font used for the subtitle

God, that makes me nostalgic. Remember when everybody was dropping out to get into the industry because nobody was teaching any classes that were actually worthwhile anyway?

It's still funny to have somebody come in with a degree and realize that everything they learned is 5+ years out of date and they'll have to re-learn everything.

>he's just upset that people without degrees are coming into the tech industry.

dude I don't have a degree, I've just been studying EE and CS on my own since childhood, what I care about is passion, and if you don't have that and just want a job so you can go home to your own apartment and watch netflix and masturbate, you're fucking everything up for people who actually want to get shit done

if your goal isn't automation you're just creating work for yourself and not everyone wants to be a 9-5 wagecuck like you meek fucks

>Is the end for JavaScript?

I don't know if it's the end, but it certainly opens the door to other languages for web client development, which is a good thing.

I think JavaScript might always continue to be supported anyway, even if wasm becomes really popular. Just in general we seem to like to keep a mix of both compiled and interpreted languages around for the long term.

16px/1.5 Helvetica,arial,nimbussansl,liberationsans,freesans,clean,sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol"

Pretty much 'generic sans serif font'

>PLS DON'T TAKE MY JOB
-u

>what I care about is passion
big mistake

Don't you want to be a Kool Koder user?

It's currently impossible to like javascript, you know.

>you take high level code in the language of your choice, and convert it to bytecode.
you mean like flash or java applets?
Sounds like a step forwards.

Basically, but without being made by retards or people that care too much about their corporate identity.

Webassembly is not meant to replace Javascript. If you are new in web development or you aren't programming a 3d Game or an application with high resource requirements you shouldn't care.

>an application with high resource requirements you shouldn't care.
so basically the average website

> likely designed to be secure

>more or less, but without the halfassed security

Why do you people think wasm is going to be inherently more secure?

The lack of security comes from a demand for flexibility and new features. During the initial design and implementation of those new features, the developers can't possibly fathom all the ways the features could be abused. Then after release they start learning what kind of abuses are out there in the wild, so then they have to patch the security problems because removing the whole feature itself is out of the question. As long as we're expanding the capabilities of the web, we'll always have security failures and security fixes.

>Why do you people think wasm is going to be inherently more secure?
There are basically those ways to fuck up a runtimes security:
a. allowing insecure API calls: imagine js allowed you to write files without restrictions
b. some implementation error, most likely that's what you're at
c. fucked up bytecode design that you can't or can't without hits to performance validate since your VM is basically a big fucking state machine and you don't want weird code bringing it into weird states where it overflows and other stuff

If you have c. - and that's what was wrong with Java Applets - you will have exploits every week. Because designing safe bytecode instruction sets isn't trivial and securing a faulty design can be hopeless.