What are some practical things to do with an old powermac g4, besides get rid of it?

What are some practical things to do with an old powermac g4, besides get rid of it?

I already installed Debian PPC on it and tried using it, but it's too slow even with XFCE.

Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=06m8pF_8JpM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You could install Gentoo on it, for real ppc Gentoo.

wouldn't that be even slower, with compiling and shit?

>compiling
>slow

it's 2017, user

>powermac g4

You could probably make it faster than Debian, but it won't be worth it. It will take a fucking week just to compile lxde on that thing.

Keep it around for a decade or two and sell it to a computer museum.

>it's 2017, user
Does that look like 2017 hardware to you?

You could use it as a space heater

I use an imac g5 as a microsoft office machine when I want to work offline. these old macs are comfy as fuck

G5 are the ones that heat like crazy

Repurpose the case I guess?

Install OpenBSD on it.

find the most hipster shop in your area and get like 500usd

Upgrade to a G5 quad, user. G4 and older are pretty much useless nowadays...

So are G5s

You always can cross compile in your render farm.

The cases are nice.
Just learn to remove scratchs in acrylic.

You can toy around with Amiga OS emulation via the Morph OS project. Morph OS is one of the few pieces of software that is PowerPC exclusive.

youtube.com/watch?v=06m8pF_8JpM

G5s are afwul except for repurposing the case. even the first intel mac minis are better

Morph is pretty impressive. Fastest OS on ppc

Why would you make it so ugly?

Install Mac OS 9.2, get into classic Mac OS software dev, and become part of the retroware scene

To match your face.

G5s are great Leopard/Snow Leopard machines, but they can't boot OS 9, so if you even want to run any of the older Mac software that doesn't play nice with Classic mode (mostly games) you're screwed.

Been considering picking up some manner of G3 or G4 machine expressly for old game purposes myself

Wow that actually looks pretty slick, and fast!