/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

-Troll and Sodomite Free Edition-

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4
youtu.be/typ2pl2L47k

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/252852644255
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Lordmatic-SPECIAL-23-LM-vintage-Super-ZB-/282454660853?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The best use of inaccurate obsolete technology is to turn the wrist fedora into a cuff fedora. This helps you "appreciate" the fine craftsmanship

Then when your teacher goes "why are you so dressed up user" you can go REEEEE WHY DON'T YOU LIKE STUFF I LIKE

eulit kristal or panama?

Just got a Casio illuminator and green NATO strap. V happy with it so far. Illumination function is far superior to f91w.

switching back to my bracelet today

P A L M A
A
L
M
A

i don't really like the look of the palma though.

also are you supposed to wear a perlon like a nato and tuck in the excess?

No, you put the buckle on the bottom.of your wrist. If between Kristal and Panama I'd vote Panama, as in pic related.

should rolex offer sapphire case backs? its a shame the movements are hidden

do you still have the original bracelet?

but what do you do with the excess length? i guess you don't have that problem though :^)

they don't really decorate the movements though.
i could see it in a cellini, but for their sports watches it wouldn't make sense.

There is one dirt cheap used illuminator on ebay right now. Just a heads up

No that would be completely antithetical to the understated "tool watch" heritage

Rolex owners buy watches to impress themselves, not others. Just understanding the fine craftsmanship inside is what counts

Rolex movements are extremely rugged and reliable, they don't really have decoration or anything like that.

Oysterquartzes are fucking sexy. Especially steel

Gold sub is grail

This casio any good? It's my dad's old watch

its a shitter. but wear it if you like it.

Yes, but it really isn't to my taste aesthetically so I wear the watch on a perlon or alligator/croc strap.

True, personally I dont. Most pictures I see online show them worn like this with the excess length under the keeper (pic related). Another alternative which some people like (including myself) is using an Omega style deployant clasp to replace the flismy EULIT buckle.

tyty

Pic related is with an Omega-style deployant clasp.

While the clasp is bulky relative to the strap, its nicely counterbalances the watch head and makes it much more stable and less prone to shifting on the wrist.

Did you forget to take off your trip when you wanted to make a serious post?

But yeah I agree that Rolex has no point in making a sapphire caseback, even though they actually do make a lot of their movements really beautiful. I don't even like sapphire casebacks on high horology, as it "cheapens" the experience of getting to see the intricate details on the rare occasions you take the back off.

image 4u.

liiiiink
f105?

>Rolex owners buy watches to impress themselves, not others. Just understanding the fine craftsmanship inside is what counts

There you go
ebay.com/itm/252852644255

How much would this Rolex be worth today? I still have the whole kit and caboodle that came with it. From late 70s I believe.

IMO it is ugly but it will probably keep time well, it's not really worth anything other than however you value it based on your personal attachment to it

meh it's the same price new on amazon and ships in 2 days

What do you guys think of the desert shield Vostok? I'm thinking of copping one, it's a cool piece of geopolitical history and glasnost.

Ah alright
I live in a shithole where amazon shipping costs are astronomical

>tacky commemorative watch
>cool piece of geopolitical history

where are you from, user? do they offer Amazon Prime?

Well the theme on the dial is not the geopolitical thing, it's the fact they made these watches for american troops and civilians.

$4000 to $5000 if you don't sell it now. Small watches and yellow gold are both out at the moment, so the market is at a low (seriously you can find 36mm yellow gold Rolex Presidents for fucking $10,000).

>Rolex owners buy watches to impress themselves

Seems a prospective buyer disagrees with you
>Honestly this makes me shallow or vain, but I don't care if I am wearing a Rolex I kinda want people to know I am wearing a fucking Rolex.

Daily reminder that mechanical watches are just jewelry for trannies. These watches can't keep proper time, have abysmal power reserve and might break if you clap too hard. And don't forget the necessary 'servicing' to keep them fuckers spinning.

Post collections

Rolex mechshits can't appreciate in value, and are definitely not an investment. Them mountain jews keep shitting them up by the tens of thousands each year thereby increasing value.

Do you think CNCing chunks of metal is haute whorology?

*increasing supply

Where can I get such a deployant clasp?

People unironically bring me fake Diesel for a battery change. Even the batteries were fake Sony, "Soxey" written with the Sony font.

see

Btw it's really called casio w-86-1vqes

Fug, is this really yours?

at the jewelry store, where else? Don't forget the chastity cage for your tiny dick.

>not recognizing every user in /wt/ from the watches he posts
>not autistically cataloging every user's collection in your head

You can find them on eBay by searching for "Omega deployant clasp" and the mm size you need.

You have one hell of an interesting collection of watches. Well done.

>in your head
>not having a spreadsheet of anons
>not doxing anons
lightweight

Learn to understand sarcasm, autist.
Or are you the Sheldor kind from BAZINGA!!

If I was posting some collection that wasn't mine I'd have gotten one with better image quality.

How would you even dox people?
J-Just asking.

Ok.

A few of these are going to be getting sold over the next while (two of the g-shocks, the SKX, the linen dialed Seikomatic-P, one LM Special).

Easiest way is to sell them a watch.

Do you have a box with the good watches in it?

Let's see yours then faggot

More pics of the 8R chrono plox.

>Gerlach
Nice

The blue dial Seiko chrono in the bottom right looks nice - reference?

SSB091
Working on it

I was just teasing you my man. My apologies for being rude.

The bitch is thicc though, if seiko had made it manual wind and skipped the display caseback it would be a much more palatable thickness.

mfw broke the pin when removing the leather strap to replace it with a perlon.

That fucker was hard to remove.

Given the market segments Seiko targets with that line, there is no way they would even consider trying to sell a manual wind chronograph in it.

I don't think you can really get away from how thicc it is, either, as there aren't really any production automatic chronograph movements much thinner that 14mm to 15mm, as far as i know.

t. Lemania 5100 Speedmaster owner.

Very nice collection mate but the Deep Blue doesn't belong there.
DBs are fucking shitters and look like someone slapped that ugly logo on a Seiko.

Got to love trips to the AD

What's going on here?

You spray painted dat rollie's dial white?

Me trying on watches I can't afford

>wasting their time
no wonder they hate poorfags

No I mean with the dial of that Day Date.

Also what do you do for a living?

>Not calling out the watches he left out by crossreferencing your spreadsheet
Lightweight indeed

Phuck I agree with selling 2 G-shocks and the LM special but why you're getting rid of your SKX and seikomatic?

Is this a Russian KL-1 circular slide rule at the top right?

Actually for the same reason, I realized I can't stand the wide lug tips both of them have. Just doesn't look right to me.

Besides, I'm making room in my collection for one of these.

Omega has perfected this approach. Thanks to upping the price level nobody dare call it tacky. Though all it is the last 20 years is a series of paint jobs.

Today one of these came in (pic not mine) for a repair, and it's a fucking amazing early quartz movement. It has like one broken part that has to be replaced, but it can't be done since it's only available at J.Borel and the boss here refuses to deal with foreign invoices. I'm so fucking livid about it, it pains me that I can't save this great Junghans movement.

Only way I can do it is if I buy the watch for myself and order the part from my own pocket. I'm tempted to make an offer to the guy even if the watch is all gold plated, gold plated bracelet, with non-standard lugs (of course, fucking late 70's bullshit) and gold dial even.

so what, do you tell the guy "we can't fix it because we can't be fucked ordering a part"? that's shitty

It is indeed. I saw one in Dubai (of all places) and was charmed enough to pick one up though.

Pretty useless device to tell you the truth. Quartz slide rules are way better.

yeah i'm sure yours can barely keep time

I'll go with "spare parts are extinct" which is not far from the truth, I only found parts for the movement on J.Borel, Ebay and Cousins were barren.

But yeah, it's shitty that the top won't deal with it. They can't be assed with anything watch related when the store makes a larger profit a day from jewelry than what profit I give them from watches in two weeks. And most of that is battery changes anyway, not saving obscure vintage movements.

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Lordmatic-SPECIAL-23-LM-vintage-Super-ZB-/282454660853?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255
>this polishing
FUCK
Can the resident Daini autist tell me if this is even worth pursuing?

makes sense.
tell the guy you'll order the part and fix it after hours.

Nope, don't want the Gestapo on me either. The risk is real.

Wouldn't say useless - I used it as a daily driver at work in the late 2000s.

I've bought a watch from them before. They owe me their time

time to open your own business

Dat bracelet is sexy as hell

The one with the reflection?

I'm in sales.

Yeah and so is the dial.
Bit worried about the state of the case from the pictures.

>The one with the reflection?
The middle one looks kind of funny.

Neat. The thing that messes with me the most is that there is no fixed log scale (as compared to a standard linear slide rule), just a fixed pointer.

>2 piece
why

which one should I buy out of these two for my sarb?
I think it looks more refined

post your sarb