/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10453840
m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10589429
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

so did you get your laptop back?

>tfw no x270 with i7-7Y75 yet
will it ever be a thing ?
only shit I'd buy tight now and I need a new laptop

Don't forget:

If you want to hardmod, X230/T430 is objectively better.

If you like the new style but want to keep the trackpad and can swap it out, T440p is objectively better, T440 is better for dual core.

X240 is kinda shit unless you really want more battery.

What's are the easiest and best versions to get of the T and X series that have full HD 1080?

Reposting

Getting real fucking tired of lugging around my T540p every day and want to get a 14 incher like the T470. Is now a good time to upgrade?

I dont know, what was that retro thinkpad they were going to release, is that a meme

Yeah, I'm kind of waiting on that, but I also have an overseas trip coming up and I'd really like to have a smaller laptop by then.

I've been lurking on reddit and some other forums and the general consensus is that it won't be announced (if it ever does) until the 25th anniversary which isn't until June or November

Is this good?

that would be very good for a T61

but would be very bad for an X260

what hard mods for the x230 are you suggesting?

X230 has the keyboard and wlan flash mod (which also enables advanced bios settings), everything else is already superior.

I'm on an x230 with a 9 cell battery.

What is this wlan flash mod? Google has nothing.

The reason memers keep recommending the x220/t420 over the t430 is the keyboard and that you can install an ac network card with softmodding (no taking the laptop apart).

If you're not lazy / a moron, you can take the laptop apart and use hardware to achieve these things and end up with a better system.

I currently have a fully loaded T460P......Is the T470P worth the upgrade? Costs about the same as my 460 when I used the perks code.

Would I notice much improvement with the faster SSD in the 470?

Can I libreboot T440? Does it come with Intel Remote Management Engine?

What's an ac network card?

probably not

you should be able to get near 10 hours at idle

Why not use a different OP once in a while? It's fun.

No, but I think that's extreme cherry picking. How many people in this thread run libreboot for reasons other than to meme?

For libreboot, currently you can't use x220/t420 either. You're stuck with x200/t400.

Isn't it around 20 hours?

To add on, coreboot runs on x230 and t430s (not t430 oddly).

You can remove the same amount of Intel ME from either generation (disabled but manifest/sig still exists - ie non functional but "still there" if you're going to be autistic).

What's standard procedure when you see another thinkpad user in the wild?

touch dicks and kiss tenderly

a wifi card that has a higher speed
only useful if you do lots of file transfers on your internal network or have gigabit internet

massage their testes

that would be a bit generous for a 5 year old battery

what should I go for
>T520
>T530 with T520 keyboard

My X220 keyboard's lights aren't working (the power button, caps lock, mute etc) but can still be used, anyone know of this issue, it's driving me mad

Should I cop this x230?
m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10453840

Or t420?
m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10589429

It'll be my first ThinkPad and plan to install Linux on it

T530 with T520 keyboard

what's the best way to clean the trackpoint? i was thinking soap and water (after removing it, of course)

what OS?

neither for those prices

Cop

I mean it does come with one year warranty

Would I feel better buying one for cheap without some sort gurantee it won't shut the bed in a month

> Cop
Which one?

I have new T420, I say new because it is mint condition.
CPU temperature is ~40C when coding, ~45 when on web and 50-55 when watching video.
Given that it is 32nm CPU(2520) is that good?

Post your tpfancontrol settings, my are

Level=40 1
Level=45 2
Level=51 4
Level=55 5
Level=61 6
Level=70 7
Level=80 64

>Those prices
god no.

Check the wiki. For an X220 you should only be paying up to $250 dollars for any model. I personally bought a low specc'd, but good condition thinkpad and I'm going to upgrade everything (Ram, hdd->ssd, monitor) when I get the money and time.

That's Canada prices. I paid 400 for my x230

nice try faggot but that is X220

I paid better than that in Europe. Was it an auction or a buy now?

Just a local computer shop.

Ubuntu, and am running TLP

T530 or T430? 530 has an option for a 1080p screen that isn't complete ass but I never see it mentioned here. Are there compatibility issues?

1080p W520 is an option but its a gen behind and it weighs a ton. I can't afford a 1080p W530.

Are there any working TouchPad drivers for Windows 10? Both my T420 and W520 TouchPad needs to be rubbed aggressively after waking. It's almost as slow as a cold boot when resuming from sleep.

You're going to lose 30 to 60% of it's value if you sell the T460p for a 3 to 10% performance increase of a 'better' laptop.

Are you going to ask this question when the T480p comes out?

T430 w/ M14x display!

>T430 w/ M14x display
Is it hard to do, or is it just plug in? I don't want to end up with a broken machine from day 1 user.

Easy.
You just need a 900p cable.

The method on the wiki for the X1C screen looks not easy so unless it's different for the M14x one I'm not sure I'm interested

That is the single most cringe worthy picture I've seen in years

m14x panel is drop-in. no x1c-style modding needed

Do I still have to buy another cable? It bothers me that I can't find a guide for this mod by searching, only peoples results.

Whats wrong with x240? Its not much more money than x230.

You need a T420/30 with a 900p display already installed
if its 720p, then you need the cable.

Nevermind just get the T530

Well assuming I get one with a 1600x900 display stock it's drop in then? there are plenty of those on ebay

It's a drop in.

The cable swap is very easy if you're just going from HD to HD+. It's only the X1C/FHD mod that's a pain in the ass.

>TO PROTECT YOU AND YOUR FELLOW PASSENGERS
>NECESSARY SECURITY PRECAUTION
>TSA IS NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGE
>WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION

Alright. I'll probably get a T430 then.

It's not that I'm obsessed with the thinkpad look or anything, but I looked into the HP Elitebooks and Dell Latitudes and see so many comments on poor build quality or things failing. The Dells look flatout walmart tier with the exception of the Precision line and I've been burned by one of their consumer grade laptops in the past.

how does /tpg/ feel about the new X1C

same shit in same form.

perk codes? I have a p50 but was considering upgrading to the p51 since the gpu is a lot more powerful but don't feel like dropping so much money on another computer so soon. How much are you saving with these perk codes?

Still better than shittier shit in shittier form (which has been the norm for new chinkpads in the recent years).

My friend has an OEM 9 cell battery for his T60 but it's shot

How long should he keep it charging to kickstart it up again?

The GPU is not a lot more powerful, and unless you shit money or plan to sell your P50 to fund the new laptop this is a retard tier idea.

Fuck

It seems my x230 has a bad charging circuit or something because I can't charge my battery. I've tried with 2 different replacements and one I had to return because it came with no charge.

The second one did but it's not charging at all despite saying 'plugged in, charging'

Apparently this is a pretty common issue for this shitbucket

Would anybody be interested in a full modification guide with pictures for the T430 and T440p?

The wiki seems sparse on certain processes/information and a lot of the same questions get repeated here. I've taken apart enough to know the layout of the machines by memory. I'm basically a ThinkPad autist this point.

>be american battery
>get shot

There's a 15% discount on thinkpads for the month of May with a perk code. I don't remember it off the top of my head.

If youre gonna buy the 470p I could buy the 460p off of you

How much are you willing to sell for?

Does anyone have a backup of the T/W500 whitelisted BIOS? The links are dead and I wanna get AC wifi.

Yes

The P50's quadro gpu is pretty much a 1050 which is a big step up from the p50's m2000m quadro which was like a 960m.

assuming you meant the p51, you're sadly wrong. it's just a 965m vs a 960m. the difference is minimal and it still blows.

Use the /tpg/ countersign. If you get an incorrect response, deadly force is authorized since they're a normie/redditor.

wich distro for my x61

I'm seriously wondering your opinions on x240, already made me ask twice.

get a X260

>worse CPU performance than X230
>worse iGPU performance than X230
>1080p on a 12" screen is fucking retarded and so is scaling
>unusable garbage non-physical clit buttons
>volume control buttons removed for no reason
>electrically incompatible with the X220 keyboard as a result, unlike X230
It's shit. Rock bottom among main series Thinkpads.

Why do you guys like the t420 and the x220 so much? What are their pros and cons compared to other models?

they're the best thinkpads with a good keyboard out of the box
the x230 and t430 are better, but you need to replace they keyboard with the older keyboard

What is a well priced laptop, with a good keyboard for coding? I currently have the x220.

an x220 :^)

P70

the battery life is shit. I get 3hrs on one charge, which is not enough for one day at work. I could bring the charger, but honestly, I just want a good, lightwight laptop, with good battery life, a good keyboard, and a good screen.

>expects me to lug around a fucking 17in laptop with a shitlet keyboard

either Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

You can find decent priced p50 laptops these days. The 4k display models are still expensive though.

I'm looking for a non shitlet keyboard, but this looks nice.

Okay I'll start a writeup sometime later this week.

I'll add T420 and the X series later down the road once I get my hands on some.

Currently, these are the mods I have that I'll do write ups on. Am I missing anything?

T430/X230
- Classic Keyboard
- BIOS Flash
- CPU Upgrade (T only)
- Heatsink Upgrade (T only)
- Screen/Cable Swap

T440p/X240
- Good Trackpad
- BIOS Flash (not necessary for AC WLAN cards but for Advanced Menu/Overclocking)
- CPU Upgrade (T only)
- Heatsink Upgrade (T only)
- Screen/Cable Swap

Sadly it seems the T440p is the end of the road for CPU upgrades of any kind in ThinkPads. Everything after is BGA soldered...

I want to get a mid to high end linux laptop. I have T540p & W520 thinkpads and they are alright but I need something with better performance and an hdmi port that will work with projectors.

What's the best high-end laptop for running linux right now, anyone doing this who can give a recommendation?

The Galago Pro 13 by System 76

>less CPU performance but better efficiency
>finally an IPS 1080p option on the X2xx series
>clickpad disliked, but can be replaced with a $30 touchpad and PH001 philips screwdriver
>volume control buttons removed because they are fucking retarded on a non-multimedia machine in 2017
>backlit keyboard and slightly smaller width on backspace and enter keys
>removed the tablet variant for the x-series
>single channel memory, one RAM soldiered on and 1 upgradable slot
>Thinner machine now regarded as an ultrabook and not an ultraportable

The X240 has probably less performance than an X230, but still it is limited with its heat sink design anyways, so a i7 X230 was nothing to brag about compared to a quadcore i7 T430

Ultimately, i would get an X250 if it was $80 more than a X240

>I ended up getting an Acer Predator because it doesn't have a shitlet keyboard

Just putting it out there, laptops with DP and MiniDP support sound and you can always get a nifty little HDMI adapters for them.

I'm not looking for something huge, just something I can toss into my bag and go.

>The Galago Pro 13
Yeah, I've been considering the system76 laptops but want to see if I can get something used cheaper and make upgrades or if one of the recent thinkpads was a good target for linux so I could try to get one one ebay or craigslist. System76 may be the way to go though. I would definately want a 15 or 17 inch one though, and portability isn't really a big concern for me.

> believe the classic thinkpad keyboard meme
> buy x220 instead of x230
> discover vulkan is not supported for sandy bridge
> totally fucked because I need to use vulkan
thank you Sup Forums