codíngraínbow

>Frontend development
gíthub.com/dypsílon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wíkípedía.org/wíkí/Comparíson_of_web_applícatíon_frameworks
[Gíst] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebín.com/q5nB1Npt/
líbraríes.ío/ - Díscover new open source líbraríes, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozílla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guídes for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - Líst of publíc APís

>NEET guíde to web dev employment
pastebín.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebín.com/pDT82mQS
pastebín.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hostíng ín most western locatíons
lowendbox.com
dígítalocean.com/
línode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wdg
css-tricks.com/debouncing-throttling-explained-examples/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what's wrong with this regex test?

if ((/"word": "(\w+) \(n.[1-9]\)"/).test(json[i].word)) {
console.log("word: " + json[i].word);
}

"word": "(\w+) \(n.[1-9]\)" matches when I try using find manually in sublime text

Who /realjob/ here

first for LISP

Anyone here ever sold HTML/CSS themes on Themeforest and other sites like it?
I need to know if I can use it as a viable alternative source of income.

I've been doing Drupal for the past 3 years, but it's going downhill really fast.

Are there any similar CMS to build huge projects ($500k+ budget) on?

How do you LAMP/PHP/mod_perl developers manage your dev environment for multiple projects? I mean if you have your HTML in /var/www/html and your perl/php in /var/www/cgi-bin and different http.conf for each project? One idea I have is storing everything in a directory and using bash scripts to "deploy" to those directories and have a corresponding script that cleans/undos with rm etc so I can work on different projects locally. then when time for production just git pull and run the same script to move the files on the production server.

what is it supposed to match?
it works for "word": "something (nx1)"

I have a vhost for each project that maps /var/www/myproject to myproject.dev.

Deployment to production should not be coupled to my local dev environment in any way.

Is it okay to use backbone.js in 2017?

be aware that .dev is an actual TLD, you might conflict with some domains.
.test/.localhost is intended for this.

lol cause garfield was in a bdsm cult and took his bottom bitch to a drupal party?

i used to do drupal7 gigs on elance. drupal8 looked so retarded i never learned it.

desu I just keep everything in /var/www/html so I have projects at localhost/project1 and localhost/project2 etc

It's almost never a problem because wordpress and drupal keep track of paths for you so moving a site to a real URL just requires changing a variable somewhere in the database.

Recently though I was messing with an old angular project and everything was relative to '/' ie /scripts/bundle.js which fucked everything up and I had to set up an actual virtualhost for the project.

>create div
>add innerhtml
>innerhtml appears behind the div
what

i changed the zIndex and now it works. i just dont know anymore.

Is postgresql Overkill for just a blog? What do should I use and why? I may eventually add some stuff to my site, but atm just going to be blogging a bit.

SQLite would actually work well if you don't have comments or multiple authors publishing at the same time.

First time poster to a web-dev.
On friday at work, I had finished implementing some tools for work and just had to test it on our server. To do this, I had to interact with the front end system that we have.

And found out just how shit it is. I added some parameters and if I changed one, both would change. I knew it needed updating, but I never realised how shit it was. There's no one in the team that has the web-dev skills though, so I thought I'd start learning. I'm always keen to learn new stuff, so it's good.

However, I'm confused on some terms. What is a framework (specifically Angular)? How does it fit into the picture of Javascript?

Yeah, was just wondering if I were to add more functionality would be annoying to switch. So either Lite or Postgres IYO?

actually, I think switching from sqlite to anything else is super easy. The other way around not so easy, but sqlite is the simplest and all your queries and commands written on it work perfectly on the other db's.

Thanks man. Will stick with lite then.

I'm using mysql union to fetch a large number of results from various tables. Limit seems to search through all of the tables, then only displaying 200, while in the background it still gets maybe 200k results. Is there a way to only get the first 200 results, then completely stopping the search entirely? Having to find 200k results is very inefficient in terms of speed and resources, when you're only looking for the first 200.

I can't seem to find anything on this in the mysql documentation, and I'm not sure if there even is a solution to this.

Example:
SELECT email, city, address, name FROM table
WHERE email LIKE 'something@%'
UNION
SELECT email, city, address, name FROM table
WHERE email LIKE 'something@%'
ORDER BY city
LIMIT 200

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Order By clause mean that it has to get ALL the records then return the 200 you requested in a specific order?

Tried this, but seems to still have the same issue where the first query, despite being limited to 200 takes 0.7s, and the second query with XXk takes *0.004 to complete, which in my opinion means that all of the XXk results are cached, and have been searched for in the background.

Frameworks are pretty much sets pre-coded things.
So you can parse a limited amount of CSS/Javascript/PHP to output whatever you want.

This speeds things up. And makes it easy for people to work togheter.
But it might make your site slower, less customized and perhaps even make it feel like it runs on space magic instead of your code.

I feel like I'm at a point where I can do anything I want, but actually find something to make is the hard part.
Where do you guys get inspiration for projects to add to your portfolio?

>"Hey there's this cool project I could do with node"
> take 3+ days to configure build tools until frontend JS finally works

I often just rebuild stuff that looks interesting as a website. Things like a desktop environment or a terminal for example.

Good shout. Lately I've been rebuilding stuff I see on Dribbble, but that's mostly front-end stuff. I love doing back-end though. I'm also the one that asked earlier on. I'm going to make a few themes and sell them on Themeforest. That's the only way I can, outside of a full-time position, make money right now.

That's one good way, but I was talking more about building things like a desktop environment or a terminal or something else that's not supposed to be a website. Another example would be rebuilding a menu screen from a game or some kind of interface seen on a TV show or a game.

iktf

The worst part of learning anything new is getting everything set up so that you can actually start.

Protip: configure it once, then just clone the repo and make any minor adjustments.

Best library/method for handling ajax/ ajax rest-api ?

Axios?
github/ fetch?
ded/ reqwest?
kriskowal/ Q ?
superAgent ?
generic vanilla es6-promise ?
pajeet curry $ajax("..."); ?
generic new XMLHttpRequest() {...

make shit that you want but doesn't exist or find some crappy commercial proprietary software that people use and make an open source version. also, there has to be at least a couple ideas you wanted to make which drove you to learning how to program in the first place which you haven't gotten around to you, i know there is for me..

this actually seems kind of fun. I might have to try doing this

yo.

Depends on your ultimate needs. If its just a document based site with a single author creating posts and static pages, NoSQL will be your best bet for performance and simplicity (but pls no mongo). If you ever expect having relational data, however, SQLLite or Postgres might make more sense.

If you don't have any good ideas just clone something popular from front to back. Its good practice and the world needs more open source alternatives.

window.fetch is the next proposed standard so I usually go for github/fetch + promises.

pls hold my hands
how do i deal with backend, i have no experience with it
i only know html css and some js

Time to learn PHP and SQL little man

Scamper over to Codecademy and then off to YouTube for some follow along tutorials to put it all together.

time to lean {{ any backend language }} and SQL. PHP is a decent option, but there are others as well, do a *bit* of research before diving in:

-are you learning to get a job down the line or just for fun?
-do you know what languages are in demand in the location where you expect to get a job?
-do you want to work in big corporations or small startups? Big corps tend to favor Java/C#, startups go with everything else

>implying you're locked into a language once you learn it
>overcomplicating what should be a simple and enjoyable learning process

>implying you're locked into a language once you learn it

I didn't imply that, but if he's like some of the people here who say "trying to learn webdev, I desperately need to get a job three months from here cause I'm out of money!" then it doesn't make sense to start with just any language and then switch to another one.

Time to learn Node and MongoDB.

time to learn FORTRAN and Hadoop, medium-sized human being

Time to learn Haskell and Cassandra plebeian.

Does working in a warehouse for peanuts count as a real job?

Time to learn Dart and Redis, little attack helicopter

time to learn C# and Azure little roody poo.

time to kms ;____;

lol this is actually not a bad suggestion

How do I steal a neocities website?

wdym steal?

I can't create from nothing so I want to rip a neocities site and use it like a template to build upon

Anyone care to explain why this loop only seems to work on index 0?

string t1= "abcdefg";
int i = 0;
while (i < lbox1.Items.Count)
{
lbox1.SelectedIndex = i;
if (lbox1.SelectedItem.ToString() == t1)
{
work.Text = lbox1.SelectedIndex.ToString();
lbox1.SelectedItem.Value = "0";
//remove the selected item from the listbox
lbox2.Items.Remove(lbox2.SelectedItem);
}
i ++;
}

What is supposed to happen and what does it do instead?
I can see that you remove the selected item from lbox2 without ever changing its selection.

Seems like a very inefficient way to do things though.

Intention:
>remove selected item from lbox2
>change value of item in lbox1 which is the same as stringt1 to 0

I need help friendos... How do I make an api secure? I'm assuming limiting by ip+domain isn't enough. I just need a direction to travel down...

Did you mean lbox2 remove (lbox1 selected item)?

Do you actually think that picture is funny? Serious question.

What are the basic set of rules for CSS rule application?
Does inline style ruling take the most precedence?

iktfb

but why do it in a loop?
why do you combine both operations?

Just move the removal of the item in lbox2 to the top and then do something like
lbox1.Items
.Cast()
.Where(x => x.Text == t1)
.ToList()
.ForEach(x => x.Value = "0");

to set the new value

is this sorta what you mean?
the book is Building RESTful Python Web Services, lemme know if you need it

the i letter in this pasta is acute and unusable

what is this retardedness

OP's idea of a joke, he's been doing it for a while now.

Genuinely yes

ur pastebins dont work btw

read the thread

So I studied CS actually
About a year now
Had to find algorithms to solve shit problems, it was funny but overall tiring as hell and painful for the brain

Just got back to webdev on the side

I understand the word "coding" now, since webdev is basically writing code to access APIs and prebuilt frameworks but not actually programming

I guess I hate the word "kode" less now

Please subscribe

Not that guy, but clearly you aren't /realjob/ material.

Oauth, some kind of token based authentication.

Where do I put a logo that is round with small text?

It basically has to be huge or you can't read it, so it can't go in a menu bar.

Sounds like a shitty logo

button.on('click', function(e) {
flag = true;
});

window.on('custom_event', function() {
doSomeSyncCall().then(function() {
if (flag) {
//do some call
}
});
});

Is there a way to hook this up without using a flag? I want to do the //do some call call within the button listener due to scoping. I need to manipulate the button's class without using a DOM query and a specific class/ID.

what is it for, what are you trying to accomplish?

there must be a better solution than using a global variable

I have a button click listener that I want to fire code off after the next custom_event and the async call block has finished.

The custom_event / async call needs to still fire even if the user doesn't click the button (so I can't just wrap the listener inside the click listener)

It's pretty good for everything that isn't a website.

It's a circle logo with text underneath.

There is nothing wrong with global variables.

can someone post a link to the discord wdg server invite the one in OP doesn't work

i dont get why every thread on Sup Forums needs to have a chatroom in a separate gamer chat program

it's like you want the thread to die

will we make a facebook group next

replace the beaner i with a regular i.

what ???

so, few days ago some anons was writing about problems with wifi on laptop with ubuntu
i just saw what i used to fix that and command is
sudo modprobe -r ideapad_laptop
so if you are still here..

>discord.gg/wdg

>facebook

What's your opinion on John Morris, the php guy?
Anyone subscribed?

using html how do I make it load a different page if the user is on mobile?

css media queries.

css-tricks.com/debouncing-throttling-explained-examples/

>tfw just discovered josefin sans.

Don't do this. Just make your shit responsive man.

I want mobile users to go to a site saying fuck off

It's mostly shitposting and light discussions about web dev related shit desu. I prefer the flow of having an actual chat-like interface/conversation rather than posting on here sometimes. Plus there's a mobile app for it.

>"I want to tell most of my users to fuck off"
Alright lad.

exactly

>Plus there's a mobile app for it.
i use a computer

i just thought earlier today how weird it sounds to me that android is more popular than windows

are there really that many people using phones instead of computers

i just cant imagine replacing my computer with a phone

Looks great for headings but shit for general text desu

>no worries i'll just load one font for headings and one font for text, said the frontend developer

What about him?
His sage wisdom is mostly just common sense stuff. Just another "buy my course and make mad kash learning to kode" snake oil salesman like most IT youtubers.

What alternatives to bootstrap do you guys use? I feel like bootstrap is overused as fuck

It looks good for both imo depending on what you're making.

I wouldn't use it to write paragraphs, but for informational stuff it works great.