What skills do engineers have that make $150,000+?

Seems like the Big 4 have engineers that make 150,000-250,000+ range. What skills do they have where they aren't being paid 110,000-140,00?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/masuno_yurika
youtube.com/watch?v=p8RWCttRYrc?t=4m32s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They are actually competent

Career development and interpersonal networking skills.

Connections get them that sweet sweet VC money.

What sort of work do you figure they do there?

Move to silicon valley and then you'll realize why people there get paid so much.

Hint: 1/2 of your salary will go to rent alone. Rest will go to food and taxes.

>get $10000 in salary per month
>spend $1500 on a 600 sqft one bedroom apartment
Nice meme

what will get you in the door is absolute fluency in multiple CAD programs, with perhaps, certifications in them.

the 2nd is experience while you're networking. I can't stress to you enough how important it is to establish positive relationships in any field.

If you're new out of college, you better be sure you know solidworks, autocad, or other relevant CAD programs in the field, and be prepared to prove it with a portfolio.

It's angel investors, Marketing wanks and 24/7 on-call 'reliability engineers' making the 200k bank.

It's up to 2k+ now for studios. 1.5k will get you a 1 bedroom in east bay, so add an hour to your commute time as you stand on BART with the bay's entire Indian population.

I know I'm part of the problem, but jeez, shit got really expensive in the past 5 years.

(Software) Engineers. Twitter isn't known for their mechanical engineering.

That's bullshit. You can easily find one bedrooms for $1500 in San Jose. Even then that's nowhere near half your salary.

what is a reliability engineer? what programming languages should i learn for twitter? what shit do i need to know really well to pass their interviews? do you work there / at a big 4?

i meant to ask, is scala worth learning? im learning that shit for fun

> Pass their interviews
I wish I knew. Recently jumped ship and having a hard time landing on my feet.

I do see Scala come up a lot, especially paired with 'analytics' and 'big data' but I haven't done any. Looks fun.

As long as you know one DB->HTML 'renderer' (Rails, Flask, NodeJS) and one JS framework (React, Angular, JQuery) you can at least get to first-round with any of the startups in SF.

aite thanks mane

bump

>$1500
try around 3-4k.

That is going to be being able to do other people's jobs. May involve staying extra hours.

most companies for example think they have to hire on additional people just to make a website and just to make videos. If you were already being paid to program and took on each of these jobs for $20K for example, you still saved them the $40K extra they were thinking about spending on 2 other extra people.

>What are taxes? (especially liberal California)

>be prepared to prove it with a portfolio.
i don't know what this means. CAD programs are not like programming or artwork. it's like saying "you better have a portfolio of all the work you've done with a hammer to show you know how to use one."

Anyone here live in their car? I'm wondering if it's practical to do instead of paying rent.

>engineers that make 150,000-250,000+ range.

>CCIE network engineers

>Server engineers who can stand up a new replication domain on their own, from planning to implementation, and insert it into the network without causing issues

>set up ipsec on paloalto networks gear, which is shit

You get paid so much because people with talent are rare. pooinloo gets 60k to take a code monkey job because that shits simple. Chat Thundercock will get the engineer role, because he actually has qualificaitons. So he gets paid accordingly.

Pro tip, indians are only taking away the garbage roles, because they are garbage. gitgud and you too will be safe forever.

the ability to live in a city where making $100k is literally poverty?

>t. need to live in a luxury apartment with a pool, doorman, cardboard walls, and a bunch of other neighbors that are as much of a faggot as me

Engineers make shit work

I'll never be good, I'm happy on 80k so meh.

>itt: Pajeet

I make $185k base salary at one of the big tech places (plus $200k/equity/yr). It's just career development and networking. Like a credit score over 800, you have to be consistent and good for a long time. Top companies pay a premium for that because it's valuable and rare.

Can you be more specific in what skill sets you have and what your job role is? Can you give advice on what to know to pass interviews?

It's not that simple. I specialize in web dev, but I don't get paid what I do because I know web dev. It's because I know it at a deep level with lots of experience and good judgement, in a way that only someone equivalent to me or better would be able to assess. I can do lots of other things other than web dev (title is software engineer, I'm expected to do anything SE related).

My advice to pass interviews is to get them in the first place, and see what you struggle with, and work on those areas. Get a Comp Sci. degree if you don't have one and ace the fuck out of it. Work experience counts as much as interviewing skills, for example Google wouldn't give me the time of day until one of the startups I joined took off like a rocket. Facebook wouldn't talk to me until I got a job at one of the $10+ billion valued startups. Or you can bypass work experience by going to Stanford (or equivalent) instead.

While there are self-taught coders, the vast majority of the people I work with at my level did the traditional route, and most of them have more education than me (I just have a BS in Comp Sci).

Thanks for your detailed response. Personally I am studying CS (going back to school for it, BS in another STEM field). Just finished my first year.. learned Java, now over the summer dabbling in Functional Programming (Scala).

How are you valuing the equity at $200k? Is the company public?

Care to say which company you work for and how you value the equity comp?

How much time do you spend on working/learning skills related to your job? Do you think it's possible to become someone of exceptional skill without your job consuming your life?

Not that guy, but they tell you what each share is worth.

nepotism

that's mostly it, they know people who get them into those positions

I make around $175k and agree, its largely career development and self marketing.

I will say we do solve harder problems than average shops due to our scale. We're building the same type of apps, but for dozens of countries and millions of users with petabytes of data.

But I got the job by building a web presence, getting good company names on my resume and practicing interview questions.

The problems are harder, yes, but I think the main reason we get paid more isn't that we're exponentially better than other professional developers (maybe we are but I doubt that), but that at the scale we work at (petabytes and many millions of users), a relatively modest increase in skill/reliability/trusthworthyness/work ethic is worth a large amount to the company. 10-30% better at massive scale is worth a lot of money, especially in winner-take-all sectors.

No, I think the job/education must consume your life for a time, for you to truly become native with your specialty. Kind of like a medical residency. Once you hit an engineering level and salary you're happy with, you can basically coast from there. I work 40 hour work weeks these days, take a liberal amount of vacation, and don't lift a finger after work unless it's an emergency which is rare. I'm probably not growing much as an engineer anymore but we all die eventually so I want to enjoy life while I can.

How naive. You haven't looked at prices for apartments in the bay area have you?

I wish. I have a very strong reference from a VP at Facebook but I still have to pass their grueling interview process.

>skills

Speed + Competency

This. $200k is the IRS audited value (what I'd have to pay taxes on if I exercised my shares). It might go to zero or a million, it's a Vegas gamble. Welcome to silicon valley.

Thanks for the info, nice to hear it's not a constant grind after a while. While I love computers and find them fun, I definitely get your sentiments, there are way more other things I think are more important spending my time on before I die, and being an engineer is just a job.

I quit the 6 digit intermeme because it was soulless pajeet work in the most braindead sector of the field. Contract, consulting and your own projects is where real men end up and pay can be multiples of what corps want you to believe is a 'competitive' paycheck.

Keep getting cucked by your CEO while writing those service layers and groundbreaking javascripts.

What's your average annual taxable income over the past 5 years?

bro, my 3 bedroom shack in socal goes for 3K a month.
You want all that, you're going to have to pay extra over the rent, which would be 8K per person for four occupants.
It's fucking san fransisco.

I live in SF. It's expensive, but if you're making top dollar and saving the excess you're not paying in rent (and okay with smaller living conditions), it's a net positive. Other than your living quarters, everything else is within a reasonable distance of lower-cost-of-living places. I don't know anywhere in, say, Austin TX that would pay anywhere close to what I'm getting paid here. Nevermind bumfuck nowhere in the midwest.

That said, I know plenty of people here who make tons of money and still manage to have zero savings. It boggles my mind how they can be so wasteful, I think they see the gravy train lasting forever.

$3-4k gets you a basic 1-bedroom in SF. "Luxury" in SF is just a place that isn't as old as WWII.

you might have money, but that's for only a matter of time until remote employment catches up.
In the meantime, the midwest has backyards like this.
Checkmate.

Eh... My "backyard" has a coffee shop, a marijuana shop, a number of amazing restaurants, a dozen bars, and some concert venues.
I also have an actual backyard that's smaller but still quiet with a nice garden and hot tub (I'm a homeowner here).
Once remove employment catches up I'll move next door to you and buy a place twice as nice.

Here's a pic of my tiny backyard

cali is nice, i'm actually the guy you started replying to with the house in socal, but I'll probably never give up a house here just because of the scenery. Even the rockies ain't got shit on the ozarks.
But yeah, there's jack all to do here.

twitter.com/masuno_yurika
/yamaguchi_mako
/mlb_mamichu001

These three acounts are all fake: murder victim, blogger [URL is real but who doesn't have twitter acounts], sports player. Feel free to hack these acounts. You won't be arrested. If in doubt, ask anyone who understand Japanese and confirm they are all fake and safe to hack.

found a decent video. 22 views, lol.
youtube.com/watch?v=p8RWCttRYrc?t=4m32s