What does Sup Forums think of the HiKey 960?

It's a $240 Kirin 960 dev board that runs AOSP with claims of working to get support for it in the Linux kernel mainlined. I'm hoping this leads to AOSP-based custom ROMs for Huawei's Kirin 960 phones - more options are never a bad thing. Way too expensive to buy on a whim though.

Link: 96boards.org/product/hikey960/

>32GB storage
>3GB RAM
>ARM
DOA

You're way better off getting a mini-itx LGA-1151 MB, Pentium G400, 120GB SSD, and 8GB of DDR4 RAM for about the same price.

It won't make custom roms, odroid xu4 uses a exynos chip that also samsung uses, but i can't see raspbian/ubuntu mate on a samsung phone, can you?

?
Are you taking into consideration the size of this thing?
Can you even get Intel boards that small?

make it 24$ then maybe, thats what the CPU + components are worth in there

>$240
fuck no, lol

I'm not optimistic. When I was editing my post I somehow deleted the part that said "but I'm not counting on it". However, you CAN unlock the Huawei Mate 9's bootloader at the least. Can you say the same for any of the Samsung devices that used that same Exynos chipset? Genuine question.

I've been looking for something to jury-rig into a portable OpenMW machine and this looks like it could be it it/when Linux support comes down the line. Of course I'd have to learn about GPIO pins and soldering and 3D printing, not to mention the cost but I'm sure it'll be a fun project if I ever get to it.

Exynos part might be true, but i still don't think it will make any custom rom, just because they use same chip doesn't mean anything, if you port lineageos to snapdragon 801 phone this doesn't mean it will work on every snapdragon 801
On the other hand, it seems possible to port ubuntu mate/raspbian to smart phones (since people can port android to raspberry and both of them are ARM) but this won't have any point because they don't support sim cards

True, I recall reading that it would only be a start for custom ROMs now that you mention the varying hardware between phones. The kernel won't have all the drivers for a phone. Huawei phones are the only ones that use the Kirin series chips, though and there are only 5 models that make use of the 960, two pairs of which seem pretty close to each other. Guess I'll consider it a pipe dream and be pleasantly surprised if it happens otherwise.

The main problem is lack of mali drivers. If arm would provide proper linux support + opencl and vulkan this would be a great board and a competitor to the tegra boards.

Getting a kernel is not an issue for this board. You can run linux on it already, ARM are the problem they aren't making mali drivers for linux, or they have them but are trying to make manufacturers pay for them.

Are you fucking retarded? Not only are the components more expensive than $24, but the engineering and fabrication itself costs money.

>it thinks that chip and board cost near even near 20$
>it thinks there was any engineering and they didnt just buy the cheast from ARM
top kek

>has no knowledge of circuit engineering
>Thinks an octa-core ARM, 3GB RAM, and passives costs less than $20 together.

What a joke. Source or jog on.

>it thinks its octa core and not just 2 clusters of 4 weak cores
>it thinks they did anything besides connecting the components
lmao

>thinks circuits is only about connecting shit together on a breadboard
>thinks circuits are shipped after first design
>thinks circuits aren't tested

fuck off back to /r/arduino or some shit.

>it thinks they didnt just pay 0.0005 cents an hour to some PCB company
>it thinks their chipset is theirs and not just some thrown together keil interconnect
lurk more

too bad it has no so-dimm slot

>shits out a random number
>keil
top kek

>240 dollars for garbage
>240 dollars can get you a refurbished computer with 100x the performance

Ah yes, this is good, buy this for everyone so it will be mainstream.

>this much damage control
lmao

Yes it's expensive, but you're just talking complete shit.

I think it's seriously overpriced.

> some toy development board
> $240
I know they are not the same but those PI things and clones are like $30. Again, I know it's not the same thing but the use-cases are. and

> pretty much the same specs as a $120 phone
> double the price of an actual phone
> but doesn't have a screen and all the extra parts a phone has
again, if this thing was $50 or $80 or the same price as some phone with the same specs then it would be more understandable.

This. For $240 you can get something that's a lot more useful and capable of running a much wider variety of software. Though your guesstimate neglects that you also need a PSU and a case.

That is a very valid point, this thing does have it's small size and power requirements going for it. No way you're going to get a Intel system this small that runs of 2A of power.

While I do think $20 is a bit of a low guess it's not that far off. It really isn't. Source, you ask? The price of complete phones with 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM and octa core CPUs. Not this CPU obviously but a phone with 3GB/32GB and the less powerful MT6750 (2x4core "octa core") can be had for $120. Again, if you can make a complete phone with similar specs for half the price then this board clearly isn't worth $240.

>refurbished computer
Now you're on a completely different level in terms of size/power. A new mini-ITX is one thing, some 5 year old used AM3 ATX-motherboard FX CPU housefire isn't comparable.