Case Ventilation

Post your guts, share what you think about fan placement, give OP an opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bobp5OHVsWY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there's a reason nobody does it

Enjoy your dust.

What you have:
>perfection

What you want:
>liquid shit

Good luck and enjoy.

The pressure would still be positive, where would I get more dust?

for a moment think about where hot air wants to go and where you want to send it

this make sense

but isn't the gpu pushing hot air downwards a bad thing too?

>the convection meme

Don't be stupid, heat rises.
Also front fans usually have filters as they are designed for intake while the rear exhaust fans don't have filters.

GPU isn't pushing hot air downwards it's sucking air from the bottom and spitting it out the sides where it rises upwards and gets exhausted.

>GPU isn't pushing hot air downwards it's sucking air from the bottom and spitting it out the sides where it rises upwards and gets exhausted.

dust collects in corners and behind things. your PC would clear the dust behind it.

>muh fans

the PC is on a table and behind there is a only large window, but >front fans usually have filters as they are designed for intake while the rear exhaust fans don't have filters
probably said it right

>tfw have a fucking wind tunnel
>2 140mm front intake fans
>2 140mm same as front intake fans on 212 evo heatsink
>1 120mm stock case fan at the back
>it's a mATX case

>ash tray
how does it feel being a degenerate?

Convection has almost no influence. Though there's no reason to change what he has.

Which would be better out of these two? Main concern is dust, good ventilation comes second.

The problem is, that the front intakes are extremely restricted. Judging by what I've tested you need about 3x CFM to the front intake to make just barely neutral pressure. Otherwise the case's gonna suck in air through PCI slots. The case came with dust filters to top and front only.

Two high static pressure intakes, one high volume exhaust in the back, the top fan mount is really for 240mm rads.

how bout fuck you

2nd.
1st causes a ton of turbulence which disrupts flow.
at least in my case. I checked both configurations with dry ice smoke.

Look into the Lian-Li A05

In regards to airflow, has anyone here tried DIY ducting/compartmentalizing? Servers, high end prebuild work stations usually have this to some degree (pic related)

Would it help cooling or would it not really see any benefit these days? It makes sense that it would be beneficial on a home PC with a large case, but I would be surprised if it also made no difference.

Sounds like I gotta find PCI slot dust filters or something in that case.

This is exactly the same as my setup, I have two intakes at the front, two exhausts at the top and one Noctua 3000RPM exhaust at the back.
Shit gets very loud when my housefire Haslel goes under full load.

Pure Magic.

truly ebin

My shit would never get loud if not for the GPU, goddamn turbine on heavy load, can't stand it desu
Probably would fix the problem by moving the tower from table to under it, but the place I'm living in atm has fucking carpeted floor and that would choke the shit out of the build

Always have (slightly) more intake than outtake. And make sure that the intake is through dust filters. And don't go full retard and just have some semblance of an airflow line. If you have watercooling you'll have to consider if you want good CPU temps but higher case temps (radiator at intake), or good case temps but higher CPU temps (radiator at outtake).
Aside from that, there's not much you can do wrong.

Run Furmark and post screenshot once temps stabilize at max. Your fan profile may be set to too low a temp.

I had another duct.

I've made a custom fan curve as the stock one didn't spin up until 30, but at something like 60 it would, in a single step, go from decent to turbine, and it would basically be cooling itself down with the jet engine, reach lower temp, go into lower RPM and heat up again

I did that in a Bitfenix Prodigy. It works really well there since the mobo is mounted upside down. Noctua CPU cooler got air directly from the outside and I had the top case fans blowing outside air down onto the GPU fans. Not sure how well it would work in the case of your pic tho

OP don't do this, furmark will fry your GPU. Use a benchmark like Heaven or 3D Mark.

>the stock one didn't spin up until 30
I don't have mine set to spin up until 50. There's literally no point.

Proptip for everyone you want cool air coming in over your hard drives. They are the most temperature sensitive component.

>furmark will fry your GPU
No it won't.

HDDs like to be warm though

running madvr filters makes my 970 hotter than furmark will make it, it's strange and I have no idea why

>rear fan sucks in hot gpu exhaust
>gpu fan sucks in hot cpu exhaust

Cards detect Furmark and throttle. So it's no longer a worse-than-worst real-life case test, it's just kinda average.

I thought the optimal temperature for those was like 28 degrees Celsius. Though they can operate at a huge range. And it would only improve their lifespan anyway.
Meanwhile, processing units actually directly perform better if they run colder.

>no point
there's no point in having 0% RPM fans when there's a HDD or a single other fan spinning in your build(a PSU for example)
You can't really hear a

Cool air will always go down and warm will always go up so you want to suck the cool air from the bottom and blow the hot air from the top.

Simply not having a vertical fan profile will do that.

>Cool air will always go down and warm will always go up
Bullshit. Get a weak fan and you can easily force cool air up or warm air down. The difference in pushing either warm or cool air up is negligible.

Just shut up.

what

BASIC PHYSICS YOU DUMB ASS NIGGERS!

Exactly, basic physics will teach you that fans move air. Learn it. And slightly more advanced physics will teach you that forces can be overcome.

basic fans you dumb ass nigger

That would only really work if the case is suspended of the ground.

Shut up.

Vertical fan profile. Don't set the stupid thing to go from 0 to 100% over the course of 1 degree.

you'll have more noise than necessary and you're not doing anything about the hot gpu exhaust

Silverstone had a case like this a few years ago, massive intakes on the bottom with a single exhaust at the top (mobo was also rotated) and it performed better than pretty much every save

Why go aster the counterintuitive model?
You'll cool it but it's less efficient.

>what are case feet
is this thread bait?

If furmark fries your GPU, your GPU is shit

this

Oh yeah, that less than 1% increase in fan rotation will surely be heard.

>and you're not doing anything about the hot gpu exhaust
In neither cases are you necessarily doing anything about that.
If for some reason you have a reason to pull in air from the top. And the efficiency difference is negligible.

My FT02, still one of the best air-cooling cases out there, and it has great synergy with blower style cards.It's a shame silverstone has patents on the vertical orientation w/ fans underneath setup.

Get about 70c on left card, 74c on right card under full SLI load, fans sit around 65-75%, the amount of heat that exhausts out of the case is immense. Oh and my noctua fan doesn't fit in my middle cause of a heatsink, doesn't affect performance much.

inb4 shit aesthetics, idgaf, no window. will probably tuck the pci-e cables behind the case later tho.

kill yourself

>>what are case feet
Not high enough to really make it high enough so that you have a good amount of air.

youtube.com/watch?v=bobp5OHVsWY

Very nice, but why don't you have a fan in the middle of your CPU heatsink?

If you don't make holes or vent it from the top, hot air will get trapped at the top increasing the whole case temp gradually.
It's just an inefficient model.

mobo heatsink blocks it.

>Very nice, but why don't you have a fan in the middle of your CPU heatsink?
It doesn't make a difference if the second fan was in the middle of behind the finstack anyway

obviously you would have vents at the top FOR FUCK'S SAKE

>what are fans

Top venting, this guy know his air cooling.

Just fucking no. This is wrong on so many levels. Nothing will get trapped because fans are moving air around.

Yea but best airflow is from top-down since you get more speed and flux since it's also a natural tendency of the air to go from the bottom to the top.

Not that user. I used to leave FurMark on all night when I tested my configuration. I'm still happy.

It's actually side cooling in that configuration. Depends on which way he tilts the case, but right now it's flat on the desk. No bottom or top fans.

>get trapped because fans are moving air around
Yea but in an inefficient way and unnatural way.

Then he doesn't know his venting.

It's actually efficient though. Definition of inefficient is unable to get the desired result with reasonable economy. The 1% fan difference is absolutely reasonable.
Fans are by definition unnatural.

it's only on the desk for the pic you stupid ass

>1 fan in (aside from the blocked off part)
It's shit senpai. You'll pull in dust through all the small holes in the case.

It does it's job but you could do so much more.

That doesn't make any sense

Best airflow is from bottom to top

Laid it down to take a pic while installing GPUs.

>>Best airflow is from bottom to top
True

I assumed that. But that's why I said >Depends on which way he tilts the case
Outtake could be to the back/front/top/bottom, depending on which way he positions the case.
>you could do so much more.
By just pushing in the direction of convection? No you literally can't.

>By just pushing in the direction of convection? No you literally can't.
Why fight the laws of physics?
You'll blow a lot of dust in your case but a nigger's gotta do what a nigger's gottta do

>Why fight the laws of physics?
See >If for some reason you have a reason to pull in air from the top.
Hypothetical situations. It's just that it's a negligible difference.
>You'll blow a lot of dust in your case but a nigger's gotta do what a nigger's gottta do
Dust filters should always be used as intake. Much more important than convection.

>Dust filters should always be used as intake
You'll hinder the airflow and use the convection advantage.

You'll hinder the airflow to improve the airflow down the line yes.

>and use the convection advantage.
Irrelevant. Dust filters can be positioned wherever. Generally they're at least at the bottom anyway.

>negligible
Is good enough for me
1% good enough for me

As long as you don't lessen the airflow in other ways to get that, fine. It's also not 1% I think.

>2%
Why do you fight the laws of physics, are you religious ?

My $500 water cooling loop let's me run my 20 fans on low, my pump on low, all while the 6800k is at 4.5ghz

%
What? Who are you quoting? I meant less than 1% you dingus.

>$500
just for cooling
GTFO
Fridge is 250$

Is air sucking in from the PCI slots in your conventional desktop setup a bad thing? Seems it'd give good airflow for the GPU, but it'll still be on the main exhaust side of things.

how well would this work for on desk case?