Afternoon ed/g/elords

Afternoon ed/g/elords.
I've been thinking to buy my first laptop. Never had one because I only use desktop. My GPU is great so I'm planning to buy laptop that can do eGPU. So any advice? What spec should I look for? Recommend me some lahtohps

Other urls found in this thread:

hwtools.net/eGPU.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enjoy your inferior laptop CPU bottlenecking the fuck out of the eGPU.

But if you must get something like the i7-7700HQ with thunderbolt 3 as the minimum.

Yeah I'm expecting some bottleneck. I can only go around $600 because I'm poor as fuck

You aren't getting any thunderbolt 3 laptops worth a shit with only $600

Not to mention egpu docks cost a fuck ton too.

go for either your cheapest tb3 option or get a T430, upgrade to an SSD, 16gb ram, and an i7 3612qm and then just get an EXP GDC or PE4C.

That's what I did and I think I've spent around $350 total.

$600 will barely buy cover the eGPU chassis (no GPU included)

Get a job faggot

I've seen people talk about t430 too. Upgrading the cpu?

T430 comes with a 2c/4t CPU the 3320M @ fucking 2.6Ghz with a max turbo of 3.3ghz

That's worse than a Pentium G4560 2c/4t @3.5ghz on a new architecture.

Think about how much you're paying for less than $65 of CPU performance.

Holy mother of god that's a thing? You can DO that?

Oh your rig seems good. This is my option now

Not sure if sarcasm, but yes. It's not really worth the payoff, but if you already have a laptop and you're not trying to spend a lot of money, an eGPU is an option.

Who needs that shit?

Just get one of these OP: hwtools.net/eGPU.html

I paid $85 for my T430 and the previous owner installed an i5 2520m in the thing (absolute garbage). I replaced it almost immediately with an i7 3612qm (4c/8t) I got for around $100 on eBay.

If you really want a laptop and eGPU setup, I'm not gonna stop you, but unless you go TB3, expect problems. It's not an exact science and the setup for everything is kinda strange and depends on your particular laptop, eGPU dock, and GPU.

Unless you can find one cheap or used, I don't even really suggest those. Paying double or triple the price of an EXP GDC less than that in performance improvements doesn't seem worth it.

Also, the new PE4C uses a poorly soldered cable instead of hdmi to expresscard and it's kind of a bitch to solder back on. Source: I have one and the cable is almost entirely detached.

Holy shit you are right, when I bought mine from HWtools it cost like $50 and $40 for the power brick. They basically 3x the prices.

Yeah chassises are overpriced

also OP:
If you are from the EU I could gift you my PE4C + power brick if you want.

I assume most of it playable? That's all I need. I'm continuing my studies so I'm expected to be away from my desktop for few months. So playable is all I need

Thanks for being thoughtful. I'm not from UK

Latest PE4C is V3.0?

>also OP:
>If you are from the EU I could gift you my PE4C + power brick if you want.
Hey, I am from the EU and could use one, user

>eGPU
you'll never use a good card above 50%

With an RX 460 and an EXP GDC I've managed to play Overmeme, Dota 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, PUBG. Some games medium to high, some games very low. But if you've got a better card than me, you should be set. Just an FYI, if it's a 1050, 1050Ti, or 1080Ti, the drivers do not support "hotplugging" (basically using an eGPU in this case). If it's a 900 series or 1060, 1070, or 1080, there's an older driver that works.

Lenovo Y700 with a i7 6700HQ and GTX 960m can be found slightly used on ebay or amazon for around $600. Sounds like that will be more than fine for your needs.

holy shit it's way more than $600 here

having a better card won't necessarily be better if the CPU is the bottleneck.

new macbook pro with thunderbolt 3 ports
non-mac hardware thunderbolt 3 is always capped anyways, can't even drive 5K displays over one USB-C/TB3 lane properly.

The first result on ebay is $679. Just look through all the results. My buddy got a decent used one for ~$600 and stuck an M2 SSD in it before heading to Kuwait. Now he has something to play games on, watch movies, and skype the wife for half the price I paid for my MSI GE62vr.

Also check out the Dell i7559

same specs for around the same price but Dell. Only difference is the Lenovo has better speakers.

I did that with my T420 running an aftermarket quad core processor many months ago, here's an old pic.

I lost interest in gaming so i sold my setup but still keep the T420.

>paying $600 for a pile of shit chassis
lmao just get a $30 exp gdc

nice shitpost mate.

Ofc it will bottleneck but not so hard how you maybe think.
Some Intel mobile CPUs are better than some AMD Desktop CPUs (post from an AMD 6300 CPU).
Lock at some videos on youtube ,they get decent FPS