/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (R5 1500X will keep above 60fps in every game. No i5
>R5 1600 is the best value for higher fps gaming and mixed usage, 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k for high 144hz framerate but heats a lot.
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti - if on sale for ~$105. RX560 soon & looks good
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60-80hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60-75hz, inject SMAA and drop settings for some games
>1060 - Gets outperformed by the RX 580, consider only if AMD is not an option (CUDA, Linux)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@60hz, poor value but performs well
>1080 - 1440@110hz. 120+FPS or 4k@60 by lowering a few settings
>1080Ti - 1440p@144hz/4k@60
>Freesync2 & Vega soon.

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS on a retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable.
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX is often cheaper as the board+case is usually less
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>A good air cooler is generaly wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/THrwnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/NfGdWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/NyFYBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/NCpQnn
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how legitimate are those programs that claim to increase your cores?

I know physical cores can't change but what about virtual cores? can I actually get more than 2? there's a program out there I was thinking of downloading to do this but idk

>how legitimate are those programs that claim to increase your cores?
It's a lie. The only thing that can increases the number of "virtual cores" (the name is threads) is hyperthreading / SMT (Simultaneous Multi Threading), which are hardware based solution. As in, it has to be included inside of the CPU itself when it is made.

What's the no AMD for Linux thing?
AMD Linux drivers have gotten so much better. And Nvidia has been trying to prevent GPU passthrough on Linux lately for some fucking reason.
I'm running AMD on Linux and seems fine. What am I missing?

1080Ti for 4K @ 60 is loaded, too. It only does that on a small, small handful of games maxed. Usually it's in the 35-45fps range maxed, so you have to turn down settings as similarly noted for the RX580 at 1440p.

>i7-7700k for high 144hz framerate but heats a lot.
Is also confusing because many game engines simply won't go that fast like FO4. For those that can, the 1600 at 4GHz does 144hz just the same.
It's hard to list something for the 7700k which everyone will consider unbias, but still.

>Is also confusing because many game engines simply won't go that fast like FO4. For those that can, the 1600 at 4GHz does 144hz just the same.
The 7700k is simply straight up better than the r5 1600 at achieving high framerates
>For those that can, the 1600 at 4GHz does 144hz just the same.
My R7 [email protected] hovers around 120FPS in GTA V, it only hits 144hz while in the air on in the countryside

But the 7700k also hits ~100% on all 8 threads without achieving 144fps in MANY games.
In the ones it can maintain over 144, usually so can the 1600, except maybe some edge cases like GTAV.
Plus it's a dead socket. In 2 years you can get a 3700 and hit 144 in GTAV in addition to all those games that max out the 7700k. For anyone with a 7700k, they're going to have to buy a new board to upgrade.

Seems like a nicely optimized game just in general. Weither you have 2c/4t, 8c/t8, 4c/8t, or 8c/16t, it still has nice performance there. Every game should look like that.

I need help getting a motherboard for my Ryzen 1600x. I'm upgrading from an i5 6500. I have narrowed it down to an x370 and b350 motherboard. I need to be able overclock to 3.9-4.0mghz and stable ram at 2933mghz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems that oc ram is a failure with b350's so should I just go x370?

I feel like buying a GTX 1080ti, but should I wait for VEGA or hold off a bit longer for Volta?

Yes.

Wait for Vega.

>used to be the the type of nigga to disassemble entire motherboard, reapply thermal paste & use thinner pads to overclock everything to its limit
>now Im the type of nigga that undervolts everything and runs the CPU at stock clocks because its quieter

I need to upgrade my GTX 980ti just isn't cutting it for me I need more power.....

Even the cheapest board will do 4GHz on a 1600X. Ryzen is very power efficient and even the cheapest board is made to support an 1800X with draws more power.
RAM is trickier. BIOS still get updated regularly.

b350m Gigabyte Gaming 3, ASRock Pro 4, and ASUS PRIME are all nice and pretty cheap. But your RAM might not run 2933 on day1. Check QVL to see if your RAM is in them.

Volta probably isn't coming until Q2 2018.
Personally, I wouldn't get the 1080Ti. It's the best card of the end of a generation of cards. Buying a 1080Ti now is like buying a GTX 580 before GCN came and then Nvidia followed by changing everything again.

Don't get me wrong, the 1080ti is a great card, but Vega is around the corner. The prices will drop soon, so wait.

Does anyone think that Ryzen 2 will overclock alot better? This seems too far ahead, but just some food for thought.

what does /build/ guros think of sound cards?

>hits ~100% on all 8 threads
This is pretty rare.
It hits 80% constantly, but 100% is very rare and only for briefs instants.

>In the ones it can maintain over 144, usually so can the 1600
The 7700k, again, i just straight up better at achieving high framerates. Sure, the R5 1600 is not far behind at all, and actually packs more performance because of the two more cores making it often a better choice, but it can't achieve as high framerates.

We know Zen3 will. Zen2 is unknown. Depends if they switch from LPP to LPU node process or not.
I'd personally bet they won't. The licensing costs might not be worth the benefits unless LPU will help them with server chips as well.

Get a DAC instead.

I just finished building a new Windows 10 PC and I'm having a few issues.

The OS seems sluggish, it will take a moment to do things or Pale moon will hang for a second. Is this normal? It's a high tier PC so it should run it fine.

My internet connection isn't reaching it's usual levels on speed check and steam keeps dropping it's downloads. Any ideas?

It would be incredible to have a zen2 or zen3 with the ability to hit 5ghz oc. The future of computing really is amazing.

AGESA 10006 out now? gonna need a new FineWineâ„¢ pic for that

Is it an official Windows key? Have you downloaded all the necessary drivers?

Perhaps Windows 10 is updating itself in the background?

>This is pretty rare.
It's really not.
It's really common, but the 1080Ti is a mere 10% short of consistently putting the bottleneck on the 7700k instead.

Once we get a faster graphics card, you're going to see the 7700k hitting 95-100% on all 8 threads A LOT. Tons of games from the the past 2 years with a 1080Ti are putting it at 90-95% overall.
It's odd that no one is doing 1080Ti SLI benchmarks when 144hz is supposed to be the meme but both the 1080Ti and 7700k often can't hit it even at 1080p.

I'm currently running a shitty Haswell i5 from 2014. What should I go for in terms of upgrades? My GPU is a 1060, but I'm afraid that because of this, Ryzen isn't much of an option due to some incompatibilities. Although, I don't know if I want to go for the i7-7700K due to the heat issues.

1080 ti SLI hasn't been optimized

haha 5ghz.
Maybe 4.5.
I don't get why people have autism for clock speeds. You get far worse performance/watt. IPC is better.

4790k would be a good cheap route to go. You can keep your board and DDR3 then.

>BIOS update improves IPC more than 3 generations of Intel CPUS.
why is this allowed

>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60-75hz, inject SMAA and drop settings for some games
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@60hz, poor value but performs well

I just bought a 1440p@60hz monitor and I'm planning on getting a 1070. Explain to me why its a poor value over the rx 580 when the 1070 gets much higher fps over the rx 580.

I was also considering the 4790K. Should I go with liquid cooling or just buy an aftermarket fan tho?

Also I can't find the same scene for Ryzen but, here's the same game and it seems like it was doing better.

Seems to me that if the 7700k had a better GPU, it would bottleneck it without getting remotely near 144fps, while the Ryzen CPU has the headroom that it'd hit it if only the GPU wasn't bottlenecking it. The game seems well threaded enough. Pretty much any game that uses 8 threads also scales well in 12 or 16.

I would recommend Ryzen, but the i7 7700k is good although the refresh with new motherboards will eventually make things a bit harder to decide. I say wait, but depending on your needs a Ryzen 1600x or an i7 7700k are good choices. If you mainly game then go for the 7700k worried about heat get the 6700k instead. If you video edit and need extra cores then the 1600x is the best.

It's not both are good GPUs the 1070 is a bit better at 1440p if that's what you want then go for it. Personally I'd go for the 1080, but if you don't have the cash then the 1070 is quite a good choice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/THrwnn

Will this CPU cooler be sufficient? Also, I'm not sure about the SSD. I was thinking about just getting a 4 TB HDD as my only storage option.

I'm thinking that the switch to Ryzen would be more cost effective. The CPU + mobo would be cheaper than buying a new mobo for the 1151 socket on top of the actual 1151 processor, which seems to be around $300+ no matter what.

Not sure if it fits here,. But can I mix and match harddrives in a nas system?

forgot to add. Qnap TS-431

>pictured, DX11 dying a painful death

pls r8 my full rgb build

pcpartpicker.com/list/NfGdWX

Is intel pentium g4560 enough it if I pair it with a gtx 1060 6GB

>buy a processor on april 28th
>shipping is purchased by seller on the 29th
>should be ready to ship
>estimated arrival date is May 8th

>doesnt ship
>doesnt ship
>doesnt ship
>finally ships it on May 6th
>only just got an update today thats its in florida
>im in Indiana

Is this worthy of negative feedback? This is some bullshit, they bought shipping, all they had to do was stick it in their fucking mailbox and didnt bother for days.

Yes, the 1600/1600X is much cheaper. Lower energy and cooling cost, as well.
Your cheapest option would be getting a 4790k.

If by sufficient you mean massive overkill. You really only need 140-180w TDP of cooling. And that's leaving plenty of headroom so it stays quiet without maxing out the fan.
Go ahead and go with it, though.

should i buy a delidding tool for my 7700k? is it hard to fuck up?

Yes, I would give negative feedback over that.

You will be CPU bottlenecked in many games. Will drop all the way down to 30fps at times even though that GPU can push 60+.

why. If you're considering direct die cooling, you should already be experienced and not need to ask Sup Forums.

No it's not hard, but hitting a stable 5.0ghz is quite hard. I would give it a try watch some tutorials on YouTube it's not that hard and the benefits of lower temperatures are pretty good.

Whats the point of getting an r7. Seems like r5 and 7700k are better deals.

>direct die cooling
He's probably just looking to replace the thermal paste and put the IHS back.

>Anonymous 05/07/17(Sun)12:15:07 No.6026
where can i buy one at?

Try Amazon or ebay

pcpartpicker.com/list/NyFYBP
Thoughts? Pulling the trigger on this soon.
One question I do have though is this; my RAM is not on the QVL. What would happen if I use it regardless? It running at lower freq?

My 1700 is pretty good. Just locked it in at 3.9 1.35 and its finishing up 24 hours of prime 95 right now. Like the cores for work.

no, wrong meme!

top 10 anime deaths!

OK anons, I know it's overpriced as hell but what I want to know is this:

is it possible to build such a nicely cooled and sound-proofed build like the Corsair One?

My Ivy build is aging and I want a rather small/compact GAMUR build.

Small size and as quiet as possible while having a small undercut in performance (can't have everything, I know) is what I want to achieve. I plan to move countries in a year, so I'd like to take it with me easily.

gay disco/10

what voltages are people running their r5 1600s at?

Hello, i am looking to replace my stock cooler on the 4790k, what are some good options? Should i go with liquid cooling or air.

The R7 lineup is aimed at video editing, 3d rendering, compiling, and other workstation tasks. They are the best deals if you do that sort of thing.

How does it stack up to xeons?

I bought a ryzen 1600
I oc'ed it to 3.75ghz with stock voltage, but whenever I turn on SVM, for the virutal machines, everything becomes unstable, the it fluctuates between 3.6 and 3.7ghz and the bus speed drops to 98~97, what should I do?

>Setup:
-1600 @ 3.75 1.248V
-16GB DDR4 2400mhz
-Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

You can get pretty close to that with an ITX cube case. Put a hugeass fan in front and something to exhaust and it shouldn't be too loud either. Cases like Fractal node 202 are smaller but managing thermals gets difficult.

Similar performance for half the price.

Oh he said a 7700k. somehow I read 1700x there.

>How does it stack up to xeons?
25-100% higher perf/watt except for AVX256 and AVX512.

You should drop your clocks or raise voltage. Being stable on one instruction set doesn't mean it's stable for all. Prime95 doesn't test that much.

I tested with Cinebench and aida64extreme and there were no problems

how can people say the i7 hits 80% cpu usage when streaming?

I have an i7 930 and I'mm hitting about 60% CPU usage across all 8 cores streaming at 60fps 1080p and my total cpu usage says "44%"

thank you. you're making me feel a lot better about my purchase decision

How about HDV if Pro4 is unavailable?

Yep, bought with a USB install.

I'm updating them now.

>the most professional tech journalists in the world (toms hardware) have declared that intel beats AMD in every price bracket for CPUs
>this thread still shills poozen

really shits in my street

>cases like the Fractal node 202 are smaller but managing thermals gets difficult

that's what I wanted to know, if I went for a small form factor I'd eye a Dan Case but I guess people are OK with a little more heat/sound in these cases

Potatocam is a great way to keep cpu usage down.

No heatsink but meh. Fine for a 4 or 6 core I imagine. Worst case scenario is you buy a $4 pack of heatsinks. I don't think that board has 2 x16 slots though but if you don't need that then go for it.

I use xsplit to stream to twitch.

Thankyou. Not the original user but I was fretting about my HDV order. Also I don't gaf about overclocking so hopefully it's all good. Components are so expensive and choices are limited here in Australia.

What game are you streaming

Consider a larger SSD.
RAM will probably run at lower speed, yes. Try doing that before purchasing that 3200 kit.

Witcher 3

I think witcher 3 is incredibly GPU bound. Let me test how it runs on my 6700k on obs

Are there any differences between GPU manufacturers? Some of them cost $50 extra. Is there a reason for this?

How's your cpu usage in Novigrad?

How much RAM can the R7 take at maximum?
I'm looking into Xeons just because of the massive RAM amounts.

64GB

Any boards with ECC support?

You're right. The 4790K + fan is cheaper than doing a total revamp.

Scared to buy my delidding tool on ebay. Can somebody recommend one?

So I used the default mb configurations, ryzen at stock everything and turned on the svm
The same thing happens
Ghz oscillates between 3.3 and 3.6 and the bus speed oscillates between 97 and 98
what's wrong, is it cpu-z's fault?

will c14 3200mhz ram still have better performance than c16 3200mhz ram after the amd update?

Are SSHDs any good? My budget is too tight for ssd+hdd so I have to pick one or the other

no

no. pick ssd now and buy hdd for storage later

I don't know if I need the larger SSD, but I'll look into it.
>Try doing that
doing what?

So I bought a 8 gig graphics card but when I do a specs check on canirunit I it lists 4 gig. Any way to explain this?

>canirunit
don't use that garbage site. it's literally wrong in 95% of the cases.

post speccy image

pcpartpicker.com/list/NCpQnn

What motherboard, case, and power supply should i get.

I am trying to building a rig for compeitive games, i lower all the settings down to get max fps. I want the least input lag. Also want to stream and do other rendering stuff.

> I am trying to building a rig for compeitive games, i lower all the settings down to get max fps.

you probably want a 7700k then. it generally gets 10 more fps in games than the ryzen

Yes, but the ECC support isn't official so it won't work the same way
Normally, when you have ECC memory, any single-bit error is detected, logged then corrected. Ryzen fixes the error fine, but doesn't log it (though it is always possible for the OS to log it on it's own).

Also, when a two bit "catastrophic" error is detected, normal ecc setups will log it then instantly shut down the whole computer (because it can't fix said error). Well for Ryzen motherboards, it doesn't log it either nor does it shut down.

I suggest you read this
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive.html

Just get a 1600 and RX570.
RX570 on low is going to be 144fps minimum in those competitive shooters.

user said
>least input lag
and 7700k has 1ms higher input lag. Ryzen gets 144+ on all those competitive shooters anyway.

>you probably want a 7700k then
No, he said
>Also want to stream and do other rendering stuff.
The 7700k will fall very short on this.
The R7 1700 is a good choice. Overclocking to have the highest possible FPS would be wiser though.

specky image?

>mobo
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
>case
Enthoo Evolv mATX
>power supply
~500W seasonic

you should consider gtx1070 if budget, gap is pretty significant

he also is saying streaming and rendering
but I started to write same thing then re-readed his post

Oh I missed the bit about streaming. Yeah 1700 over 1600 then.

oh fuck I am retarded the case needs to be ATX for that mobo, not mATX