Explain this shit Sup Forums

explain this shit Sup Forums
>laptop HDD from 12 years ago
>no bad sectors
>healthy
>laptop dropped multiple times
>laptop used almost as a server (always on)
wtf is going on with the quality of the HDDs lately. Why are they so unreliable ?

Other urls found in this thread:

static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is less space on their so there is less chance of something going wrong.

i understand that each sector is less dense but i can't justify such a high difference in quality.

>>always on
so? the hardest strain you can put on an hdd is the startup (spinup) (followed by head parking) not the "keep spinning and reading"

You got lucky, that's all. HDDs can fail on the first boot but they can also last for more than 20 years.

show the actual smart data, surface scans are only one part of the drive

It is because data density is so bloody high that it only takes a fraction of the physical stress to damage a modern HDD versus units that were made 10-20 years ago.

It doesn't help that market pressure has forced HDD manufacturers to cut corners whenever possible.

I have a 150GB WD drive that was used in a PC that controlled a wood drying chamber for about 15 years, and it still works perfectly. I also have a 500GB from the same company that died in 3 years.

HDD's are a fucking lottery.

that's pretty avg stats for a 40k hour disk

beat you

>mfw I bought a refurbished HGST 2TB drive for $30
>mfw it has 72000 hours of use and close to 77TB written to it
>mfw it's still at 100% drive health and 1 reallocated sector.

It's my primary music storage drive. Have it being backed up to a secondary 2TB brand new drive from Seagate.

yeah sure user at least i give that you are a smartass. It's not even your C drive faggit and it is parking most of the time and it's not a laptop hdd with fans spinning air direct to it.

it will last more than the seagate one lel
noice though

I use my D drive constantly because my C drive is a near perma-full 256GB SSD. Plus I run cryptocurrency nodes when I'm asleep which basically fucking rape drives via constant reads and writes.

laptop hdds spin slower

The density of platters has increased you fucking mongoloid

How the fuck do you manage to dress yourself while being this retarded?

Oh look at mister big 46k hours

how is this anons? Its from my old pc , around 8-9 years old i think

>5 reallocated sectors

Starting to go bad, but there are a number of sectors it can reallocate to. That will eventually not be enough and the drive will just start getting smaller until it completely fails.

I just used smartctl and the moment I saw Old_Age I had a sinking feeling inside.

then this means that my half year old caviar blue is dying tens of times faster, welp shouldve bought hgst i guess

Should I be worried? This is at least 8 years old (160GB)

Confirmation bias. There aren't any old bad drives because they've already been thrown out. The only old drives around to test are the ones that survived.

survivorship bias actually

If it is your system drive, yes. All it takes is one bad sector to go bad where a critical system file is and your shit no longer boots. The probability of this happening is about the same on a new drive as it is one with little to no bad sectors. If you have a drive that bad sector count is rising, time to replace that shit.

thnx senpai

Glorious Samsung Spinpoint master race, shame they were gutted by Seagate and turned into shit

If there is a set chance a sector fails per write, a 1TB HDD will have a 10x higher chance of failure than a 100GB drive.

Why did I even open this thread ;_;

> i understand that each sector is less dense but i can't justify such a high difference in quality.
Laptop hard drives are designed to take more vibration abuse

What about people in california? How to desktops survive?

APM can kill it then. I use hdparm for a reason.

In CA computers are manufactured so that all parts are suspended by elastic bands to absorb G forces in case John Goodman walks by

look at the hourlet over here

>start stop count
>742

Fucking amateur

how is my drive doing lads? 7 year old hitachi, should i replace it?

John Goodman is half the man he used to be

> Western Digital Caviar Black
> WDC WD6401AALS-00J7B1
> 640 GB
> Bought in *2009*
> Used pretty much 24/7 since then
Currently using it as a RAID1 --write-mostly for my 500GB SSD.

Since 2009 I've had something like 6 Seagate Barracuda's die, a Seagate NAS HDD die, 1 WD Green 2TB die, a WD Blue die... and I'm probably forgetting a few.

I think harddrives in general are more garbage today than they were previously but I also think it's the case that premium harddrives (the WD blacks were and still are much more expensive) have higher quality but most people don't buy them.

What the hell is a high fly write? Should I be concerned?

Spinup does put strain on a harddrive but it's not the worst killer overall.

Research by Google and others who use vast amounts of harddrives shown that rapidly shifting temperature is the number one killer of harddrives.

It doesn't matter that much which way it shifts.

It doesn't really matter much exactly what the room temperature is, all is well as long as it's relatively stable and within sane limits. It doesn't matter if the room is constantly 18C or 24C, that's fine.

If the room temperature is 20C and it rises to 30C within half an hour for some reason or it's winter and you've got 20C inside and -20C outside you open all your windows and leave them open for a while then you're likely to have a very bad day if you've got harddrives spinning.

HDD size does not determine reliability you morons, just look at all the Backblaze statistics over the years.

There's a good paper by google that shows how the drive temps affect failure rate. Not a huge difference, but both high and low temps can cause issues. (couple of graphs on pg 6)

static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

should i be concerned

this seems bad, help. should i replace? this is about 6 years old

Technology peaked in the 2000s.

Then in the late 2000s Apple came around with iPhone, iPad and all that iShit and then normies got into "technology". Companies had to catch up to their desires, replacing reliability and practical use with flashy buttons, touch screens and shiny cases. Meanwhile, software and their interfaces were completely dumbed down. And more recently, SJWs got inside the industry. So... Blame normies. re

>THIS AIN'T ANGLISH!!!!
xD

Look at my write errors
is it normal?

?

Thanks for a rather interesting link.

According to this drives are most likely to fail with an average smartctl reading of a drive temperature that's below 30C according to that graph.

Na, you're good

Seems you have a couple bad sectors that haven't been re-mapped yet. Should be good for a little while, but might want to look at replacing the drive after 6 months-1yr or so unless the bad sectors start increasing

Seagate doesn't write SMART values the same way as other vendors. The Write Error Rate is not in their list of the 'we do what the fuck we want' values. Best option is to run seatools for windows and see if it comes up pass or fail

thanks

Had 19 bad sectors for years now and still fine.

>i can't justify
The laws of physics care if you think they're justified.