Whats the most you've ever fucked up while building a rig...

Whats the most you've ever fucked up while building a rig? Heres two processors ive absolutely destroyed due to incompitence

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

plugged an ISA card in
the wrong way around

The worst I did probably was with those Socket A coolers that had no levers or anything but that you had to bend into place with a screwdriver. I lost grip with the screwdriver and scratched the motherboard. Only two tracks broke and I could solder them back into working order, however.

Swapped two semi-modular PSUs attempting to check if one of them was causing issues. Kept the same cables because I didn't think it'd be a problem and I was too lazy to change everything, but turns out there's no standards for those cables and different manufacturers will have different stuff in each pin. Fried a 1TB disk and lost some data, though not much.

Annoying, but at least I learned my lesson. Thankfully it didn't fry my GPU or anything on the mobo.

I've dropped a stack of 4 harddrives. Only a 74gb wd raptor survived

Nothing because I'm not a retard

Those fucking coolers.
Back in the day of metal tab spring tension coolers i broke like 8 motherboards because of these things. Some of them the plastic tab you are supposed to slide them over just snapped. Others it was such a tight fit the screwdriver slipped and scratched the board.
Fuck those things.

Only stuff I've ever broken has been case accessories or fans. Cheap plastic is easy to strip and crack.

>Nothing because I started building computers recently now that computers are super easy to work on.

Never fucked anything with desktops or laptops, just the first time I wanted to clean a computer I made sure to try with an old one (it was a pentium 3 in a c2d era I got for free) I removed the cooler and since the thermal paste cementified around the CPU when I tried to put it back I couldn't see the socket and bent the pins. Nobody cried, it wasn't my only PC I had an athlon. I was like 13 or something.

Fried an old gpu I was using to troubleshoot someone's pc. Turned off the only surge protected extension assuming the pc would be plugged into it (spoiler, it wasnt)

So OP, first of all, unless the CPUs are electrically broken, you might be able to fix those with a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Second, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE?

my hands shake like a leaf when I handle pinned cpu's and swap them and stuff because im so damn fucking nervous but i've never bent a pin.

I burned up a stick of RAM by not inserting it fully.

I bought it at a computer show, inserted it (badly) that day and was able to play stupid and return it for a replacement at the same table at the computer show the following day.

>I burned up a stick of RAM by not inserting it fully.
Same.
Started getting data corruption, blue screens. Checked the RAM, and only properly seated one side. Was unusable afterwards.

>Back in the day working on boss's rig
>rig powered off but motherboard has power
>remove agp video card
>somehow bracket shorts out motherboard
>fried $300 motherboard
>lesson learned, always remove power completely and press power.l button to drain board before working on anything

seriously ? pcs were always fucking easy to assemble, i've been doing it for more than 20 years now, and i never ruined a part. and i did retarded shit like running some of my parts from a second psu i always shorted manually to start

For me, the computer was slow to post, I started to smell the magic smoke, noticed the saw scorching on the green PCB and copper pads on the edge connector were not uniform (misaligned) and turned it off immediately.

I was glad the memory socket on the motherboard wasn't toast too.

You're so unbelievably incompetent you can't even spell incompetence.

You're so unbelievably incompetent *that* you can't even spell incompetence.

grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp
>Rule 1. Who and sometimes that refer to people. That and which refer to groups or things.

>assembling first pc
>Z170-A weighs a fucking ton
>trying to touch as little as possible
>vrm heatsink looks steady
>lift mobo by the edge with thumb gripping vrm heatsink
>feel it bend a little
>oh shit
>bend it back
>bends way more than I expect
>oh shit
working fine for a year now

Pulled a GPU with power supply ON. It made a spark. Nothing got broken though.

>implying I didn't read the entire Chicago Manual of Style when I was in high school
>implying I don't know every rule there is in that book
>implying my grammar is wrong
1/10 made me reply, goy.

lol you're retarded. why the fuck are you trying to apply a grammar rule of pronouns in a conjunction?

forgot to connect some cables

Bought a Kaby Lake Chip instead of Ryzen for gaming.

anyone have the screen cap of the user that heard about using mineral oil to cool his rig but filled his case with mineral water?

i bought an i5 in 2016

Op here, firstly, ive half built a couple computers in the past, mostly replacing old parts. But never a processor. In this instance i was troubleshooting a juryrigged pc from scrap componets, was trying to narrow down between motherboard and processor being broken. Luckily in my case it was the processor that was already broken since a third processor worked just fine. But the reason they bent is because 1: my dumbass didnt notice the motherboard wasnt compatible. 2: i bent even more trying to fix it.

Also i did it twice because im fucking autistic

honestly the best way to fix them is with a combination of a razor blade and a zebra mechanical pencel (it has a metal tip that the pins fit almost perfectly in, so no need for pliers. the razor blade does a good job of lining them all up after they are mostly fixed straight by the pencil trick) Just an FYI

One of them is completely gone, i broke off a pin. The other one is salvageable, just with alot of time. On too of that its only worth $40

I bought a Titan X Pascal in January 2017.

I've been doing it for exactly 22 years now and they were easy, but not as easy as they are today.
as he above said, those stupid coolers were retarded by design.

>Find two old gaming PCs in a cupboard at work
>One better than the other but both had the same GPU
>Think fuck it, let's try SLI, one mobo says it can do it
>Transfer GPU
>Machine boots up
>Black screen
>Try other GPU, same.
>Try IGP, it works
>Give up, put PCs back in cupboard, forget it ever happened
This was back in 2010 so I can't remember the specs for any of it, I assumed I'd killed both GPUs with static or something. Thinking back it may have been a PSU issue because nvidia.

I bought a Titan X in 2015 with aftermarket cooler and wondered why it went to 100°+ and idled 60°
>Found out the cooler wasn't applied correctly and left 2mm air space between the GPU and cooler

Normal one? How expensive? The old Titans are being sold for 650 € now here. I would still prefer the Ti, one with unlocked power target.

Normal Titan X Pascal, full price. £1099 bongbucks.

The 1080 Ti came out two months later, and the Titan XP came out a month after that.

Was building a rather dated computer (old parts from 2000-2003 in 2008 or so) for dad. I don't know what I did wrong but the PSU smoked very heavily and the 120/230V switch was correctly set. I unscrewed the motherboard and checked for anything that could cause a short which I didn't found.
Put everything back together and used a another PSU, everything was working fine afterwards.

An XT card without metal plate?

Remembers me of something. I bought the first Titan X for 1088 € while I could have bought two 980 Tis one month later.

>>trying to touch as little as possible
>>lift mobo by the edge with thumb gripping vrm heatsink

Motherboards are covered with a lacquer to protect their traces. The only thing you shouldn't touch with your greasy fingers are gold contacts.

I managed to fix it with some tweezers and Sup Forums's encouragement.

>An XT card without metal plate?
exactly.

Bent motherboard pins on a already faulty motherboard by accident (put the socket cover on wrong, was already massively stressed out because of the motherboard being a failing piece of shit out of the box and troubleshooting not going as easy or well as I had hoped)

The fuck up actually got me a better motherboard that was twice as expensive through RMA somehow, even though the warranty was void.

Also broke a RAM lever by using slightly too much force, but that was on a different motherboard, it was still useable after.

The power supply cable to the wall wasn't connected correctly to the computer It made the performance poor.

is that thermal paste on the pins?

Can't spot the bent pin or pins...

Notching because I have a job and I make hardware cucks to build my shit for me, full return if any damage occurs

broke a nigger-rigged south bridge heat sink while trying to secure it, but that board was slowly failing anyway so no biggie.

Broke a USB 3.0 header on my Z170 board and now have to use an expansion card for front USB 3

uh about 3 years ago i pulled my gpu without unlocking the safe thing and the plastic that covers the PCIe port came out with the gpu.

And just last week that happended with a SATA port... I was very tired and just wanted to install my new ssd :/

I forgot to turn the psu on? Idk how you retards can't lurk before doing simple shit.

>assembling my first pc
>fuck following guides
>fuck reading manuals
>psu had a cable with a 4pin connector
>it must be for powering the fans!
>connect it
>I killed the mobo
At least I learnt to read the manuals. It was for powering the floppy, in case you're wondering.

this, like putting a finger into a spinning fan, breaking a fin (and some skin...)

some people just need to be taught The Hard Way(tm)

i did the same but broke off more than a few components. somehow it still works with no proplem and i kept using it for years.

this
I miss PATA aesthetics

I've never fucked up on a computer build and I've only done three builds since 2004 and a lot of small upgrade installations between those. Working on my 4th now.

Newegg sent me a defunct motherboard once and refused to take it back despite me noticing it was bad before me doing any shit with it. Never shopped from them again to say the least.

The dumbest thing I ever did albeit still not breaking shit, was use an Intel stock cooler for years.

Same here

i paid $160 for a 4670k in february and bought a 1600 at the beginning of april

My first time putting together a PC with a pre-assembled motherboard/cpu/cooler, I got it all put together and I went to install the OS. When it came to the 'Install OS On Which Drive?' I wasn't paying attention and accidentally installed the OS onto the USB stick that contained the .iso. I just ran with it for a few weeks til I bought an M.2 and did a fresh install.

Second time I put together my own motherboard/CPU/cooler and I was super nervous about seating the processor. I think it was crooked because the CPU failed to initialize. Everyone kept saying 'RMA RMA RMA' but I just took it apart, put it back together, and it worked.

But now I have a cheapo PSU (five year old bronze Corsair) and some cheapo DDR4-2400 RAM hooked up to my pricey mobo/CPU/GPU and it has a bunch of issues. So I just bought a nice 650w gold+ PSU, a nice AIO cooler, and some good Corsair DDR4-3000 RAM to get it running right.

My lessons to any new builder
1. Take your time. I should have set aside a solid 3-4 hours to put it together instead of doing it all at once
2. Don't second guess yourself too often
3. Don't cheap out on some parts and splurge on others, because they might not play well together.

Send me your 4670k.

its currently in my htpc. hopefully i can replace it when the zen apus come up.

if i may add a couple;
- if you're not sure if X plugs into Y, or if it can possibly be plugged in more than one way, check, don't assume
- if minimal force isn't working, check, don't just assume it needs more force. most components these days have a low or zero intertion force
- doesn't hurt to double check everything before plugging it into mains power
- if you need to ask for help, tell people what you did, and provide exact error feedback/messages, not just "it shows an error"

my CPU would not stop overheating and i decided to reapply thermal paste after 6 years of usage

i pulled on the heatsink and the CPU came out with it and it was stuck, the paste was pretty much cement

i tried to pry it off with a screwdriver and it just broke the PCB on the CPU instead

i would have put it back in and twisted it

i tried

i even tried to heat it with a hair dryer to no avail

damn, what did you use?

spoiler: it was the factory paste

im never cheaping out on this again

if it was that hard, you might have had to shear it off
that is, push against the side of the cpu's heatspreader
it's a bit risky, and will probably scratch up the heatsink, but if that doesn't work, nothing will

the heatspreader? that's the metal plate on top right

because yes i also pushed that as hard as i could for hours

i mean with something like a chisel and hammer (relatively gently, of course)

Okay. Then will you send it to me?

sure

You could probably get those working by bending the pins back

> drop of thermal grease hit the mobo socket. (s775 with the nasty contacts) was a pain cleaning it out.
> broke SIMM ram slot when i was 15 because unusual slot design.
> bought a board that does not support the voltages for my cpu.
didnt rtfm

poor crab-o

i had my entire computer setup on a tempered glass table. computer, monitor, everything.

i had a creme brulee torch.

i shot the torch at a portion of the glass .

a few minutes later my glass table exploded, and my poor computer fell roughly 3 feet , one shotting my hard drive.

thats fucking hilarious

Back in the early 2000's when i was a kid i got a hand me down Pentium 1, few months later i salvaged an hdd from a busted win95 machine and tried to plug it in as a secondary hdd. I don't know if i plugged in the wire backwards (if thats even possible) but it made the most god awful screech i had ever heard in my life, the drive was toast.

I think it was before that, I bought a Macintosh 128K? (not sure if it was that model, it had a black and white screen) from a friend for 5$ which he had picked up the side of the road from a local university throwing them out, it had simcity installed on it. I took it apart for shits and giggles to see how it worked. I pulled off what i assume was the hdd motor, it wouldn't come off so i pulled until it snapped off and a ripped metallic band came with it. Kinda regret that one.

Installed a water cooling system on a CPU and GPU.
The GPU waterblock wasn't attached properly, and the GPU melted.
It was a 7950 GT.

Forgot to open the socket lever when putting the CPU in
Nothing happened, because I'm not a retard

>if thats even possible
it is in some cases, if you use an IDE cable that both had no outer notch OR blocked pin, it can be inserted the wrong way around
i have seen them before

You just disabled the botnet

>bought a board that does not support the voltages for my cpu

When was this?

Got a nvidia 7800gs as a final gpu for my aging AGP system. Decided to put my universal waterblock on it for muh overclocks. The 7800gs also had an (PCI-e -> AGP) interconnect chip that would run hot, so I made a cooler for it from an old northbridge heatsink. The interconnect chip was a bare die though and it was much softer than a regular gpu die somehow: thus I ended up cracking the side of the die when mounting my ghetto cooler. The card still worked for a while but after some time it started blue screening and eventually it died, taking out my asus p4p800-e deluxe with it.

Same here, make an RMA and get full refund year later

I once almost fucked a cpu because I tried to put it in while the lock was closed and then pushed the lever thing.
Other than that I got thermal paste over everything when I installed a new cooler (forgot the backplate and accidentally put my hand in the preapplied thermal paste while putting it in)

had a pentium 3 running an hour without a fan. the heatsink was not even that hot but it had only win98 running and no other programs.

Back to school.

My Cyrix C3 was working perfectly even without a radiator.

>> broke SIMM ram slot when i was 15 because unusual slot design.

Did this to my friends computer back in a day when clips where made out of plastics.

Felt like shit for days.

You know how VGA cables have to be screwed in and out? One time I ruined the plastic on one of the screws for a VGA connector and it was very painful to screw after that. Other than that, I have been very good about not fucking things up.

My dad didn't like how I would keep my desktop running overnight and during the day even when I was not currently using it. So he starts to just turn it off every time he doesn't see me on it. The really shitty part was he would just flip the power switch on the PSU. After a few months of that my PSU and hdd were toast. In a rage I just told him to throw the whole thing away. I wish I kept my 9800gt though...

Should have been turning computer off by yourself, faggot.

Why not just say butane and it was your crack lighter because there is no special snowflake lighter for fucking cream?

fuck amd and their retarded pins

user why the FUCK would you shoot a torch at tempered glass?
You're horrifying.

>The dumbest thing I ever did albeit still not breaking shit, was use an Intel stock cooler for years.
I'm still doing that and having no problems whatsoever. I don't even get why people are complaining about them.

I've never broke a component in 20 years of building computers but once a LiteOn CD drive ejected my windows install CD mid install and the disc flew out like a frisbee.

Technically it's my fault for using a LiteOn drive.

i burned a cable in my case, the one connected to the fan controller, by connecting the fan to both the case and the psu