No screenfetch / neofetch / desktop / uptime thread? Commencing

No screenfetch / neofetch / desktop / uptime thread? Commencing...

MODS

Your font rendering is /comfy/

it's default, i just have a hidpi display

It looks nice. I can't wait for a hidpi display. I mean the Ubuntu font rendering is already really nice, but I can only imagine how nice it would look with hidpi.

Is this the new meme of the month? I saw a Void shill thread the other day.

I don't care if it's a meme or not, I like it.

Why do you like it?

Comfy little debian install, pretty much everything is from the repos so I don't have to bother updating shit myself.

rate/hate

What ade you choose the mate terminal? seems like an arbitrary choice.

I know it's a shitty reason, but why not?

> Minimal install
> Wide amount of software available
> Contributing is easy

It's pretty much like Arch, which I was using earlier. Now that I use Void I don't see any reason to go back. I have all the software I need available on Void. In case something was missing, packaging and contributing is extremely easy. Xbps-src is a great tool. The community is also pretty nice and active.

I guess Arch would be equally suitable for me but I don't see any reason to go back and Void seems comfier. Even though I don't give a fuck about systemd.

The fact that I am using MATE as my DE.

yes it's a meme but it's actually pretty nice

super meme

>icons on desktop
>terminal menu bar in the current year
>Debian logo for KDE start menu
>KDE

4/10 nice wallpaper

wallpaper?

Do you know how to read?

you're the one who said rate/hate

I've done both.

wait nevermind I don't know why the hell i thought that was KDE

5/10

To me a reason I wouldn't use it is that it doesn't have SystemD, it lacks software like Solus, and it doesn't have Google Chrome.

xubuntu

I've used it a few months ago and I really wasn't sold on it and went back to Arch back when I used it.
Lol hey Jordan. I like your theme btw.

wallpaper?

whats a good icon set to go with this?

rare

what are you even running?

Solus has what, 700 packages available? Void Linux has like 7000 and contributing is super easy. I am a newbie to Git and all things Linux and even I've managed to contribute a few packages. It's fun and somewhat educating.

Besides, I've found literally all the software I need. Even some software that's missing from some of the bigger distributions.

Right now, I've setup my development environment and I've got everything I'll need. I don't care about systemd as long as everything is working.

wallpaper please

And I love your Arctic colour scheming.

I used Solus for one afternoon before uninstalling. It's very nice but there are way better OSs out there, it will come into its own at some point. Not yet, but give it a couple of years.

Solaris 10 on a sparc machine.
DE is CDE

Pretty sure that's just solarized color theme.

I use Skype, Discord, Spotify, Google Chrome, Visual Studio Code, and some other applications. Does void have all of that? And I've contributed to Solus too.
Yeah. Also I think some of the development stuff should change too. It also needs a much bigger team.

why are u user not using Deepin DE?

Every single one of the applications you listed is available on Void's non-free repository.

And in case they weren't. Void supports flatpaks. Flatpaks are quite handy for bloated proprietary shit. Arch just broke my Spotify a few weeks ago because of the openssl update, that ain't gonna happen on Void.

>he uses a DE based on HTML5 and CSS

I just use the breeze theme because all the XFCE themes look like shit and/or have crappy coverage.

Witchcraft

why pastel terminal but solarized DE? it's coming along nicely BTW.

what terminal colour scheme is that? It fits nicely.

Does it have GNOME?

I lied. Discord and Visual Studio Code are not on the repository. They are easily available though.

Void also supports .debs if you want to install dpkg but I have no clue how well that works.

Gnome 3.24 seems to be in the repository.

Like does it have a GNOME iso? I couldn't find one the other day.

is there a script to detect wallpaper colors and change the theme?

Hi

>he isn't using debian 9
top laugh

>XFCE
>not using arc-theme

I don't think it does. Every iso can be used for minimal install and GNOME can be installed via terminal after though. It's a bit of a hassle and if it's too much I doubt you'd enjoy Void anyways. Bear in mind, Void is very Arch-y.

I'm not trying to shill Void or convince you to use it. I just told you why I enjoy it and defended it against your "no software" argument as I've been positively surprised by the amount of software available. I was extremely surprised when I managed to get all the proprietary stuff I need (Discord, Spotify, Steam, Drivers, Flash, Oracle's Java) running with less problems than I've had on any other distribution, excluding Ubuntu and Mint.

still better than Solus

yo

hey Kevin, thanks!

Here's a baby OS

Looks nice, it's even in the repos, but a lot of them are only gtk sadly.

breeze has full qt themes and libre office icons so it all looks good.

He might like newer software from backports. 9 is frozen still.

Nah I wouldn't call you a shill. I can see why some people would like it, especially cause it's basically Arch without SystemD. In the long run, Void probably isn't for me, but I may try it again in a VM. And last time I used Void, there wasn't much software, but it seems like they have a really good packaging system if they've added so much already.
Slowlus*

i tried a floating wm yesterday and it wasn't good

neofetch seems to be a bit better

>lo/g/os

Does anyone even still maintain this?

cancer

Probably the autistic brony

gozaimas

mate are you using all windows as floating in i3? do you know if theres a way to start windows at a certain size?

pretty sure thats the KDE default background

wallpaper porfavor

why not use lxqt better?

anyone remember ! BEING

same question
ideally i want to have a simply dock working on i3, like docky, or wbar, but everytime i start them they end up in weird positions on the screen, like their own window instead of ontop of the desktop

wallpaper?

'Unsorted 1832.jpg' source please.

I maintain it for personal use

>cancer
How is a meme being misused here? Besides your post.

finally set this shit up
why would anyone use a BSD as desktop in 2017? especially OpenBSD? just a question.

I keep seeing these threads and I keep wondering: What makes LXDE so underused compared to, say, XFCE? What does it lack compared to others?

Finals week in the city of Boston

The stress is palpable

OpenBSD is actually pretty well suited for use as a traditional x11 desktop.

Things I like:

Consistency: OpenBSD is pretty much an entire system, not as much an amalgamation of coreutils, kernel, init, bootloader, et cetera. Everything is written with the same design goals in mind.

Installer: No CLI pretend-haxor shit, just a simple TUI that allows you to press enter through most of it, setting sane defaults along the way.

NIH: The OpenBSD developers tend to rewrite a lot of things that don't meet their standards. An example is doas, a smaller, more easily configurable clone of sudo.

Security: Pretty much self explanatory.

Software suite: OpenBSD comes with a lot of stuff. A lot of it's written by the developers, and most of it's pretty damn good. OpenHTTPD, pf, and tmux come to mind.

It's not Linux: OpenBSD doesn't come with a lot of crap that's associated with modern Linux distros: bash, gnu, systemd.

Things I don't like:

Drivers: The hardware support is extremely hit-and-miss if you don't buy a system that you know will work. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro 12,1 and there's quite a few hardware issues (touchpad, keyboard, display, wifi). I've just been dealing with it. I can't blame the developers though, there's just not enough manpower and they have a policy against blobs. You're probably best off using Intel graphics if you want to use OpenBSD.

Filesystem: FFS is pretty garbage, honestly. A ZFS port would be cool.

It's not Linux: It's not Linux, so you can't run Linux binaries on it. You'll have to port everything that's not already in the repos yourself, which often requires additional work to get it running besides just writing a Makefile. There used to be a Linux emulation layer but they removed it. Troubleshooting can be more difficult because you run into a lot of "Linux-isms" when searching for solutions.

/blog

I tried to live without a scrollback buffer, I couldn't do it.

It's not actively maintained, it's ugly as hell and for just a little more resource usage, you get something like Xfce which is much more versatile.
Xfce is actually maintained, albeit slowly. Release numbers are years apart.

developers, developers, developers.

they LXQT now

I always liked BSDs but was always kinda scared to try it. now knowing that drivers are an issue and i pretty much run newest hardware on my main desktop is a deal breaker for me. Also I don't really like compiling shit and building everything by myself, so yeah theres that too.

Yep. Unfortunately I can't run it on my desktop because of my GPU. I'd highly encourage you to install it on any older hardware you have, there's a good chance it's all supported. Poke around and check out what's there, a lot of it's really neat.

It also makes a hell of a router OS if you've got a little time and buy the right hardware. I've been meaning to get a PC-Engines apu2 for that purpose.

How's the tiling WM situation on wayland these days?

>it also makes a hell of a router OS
already running pfSense on an old PC. will definitely try FreeBSD on older hardware though.

Void Linux is pretty /comfy/ actually.

It pains me to have to use jpg for my screenshots sometimes. Sup Forums needs to double the image filesize limit.