Why aren't you using wayland Sup Forums ?

why aren't you using wayland Sup Forums ?

because emacs exists

X for life, faggot.

enjoy (you)r screen tearing

way who?

Go to sleep

its 2 early for that tho

Get a fucking trip already you fucking loser

no bully

Go to sleep right now

wh-why

>it's another pedophile desktop posting fag that derailed the thread for no reason episode

she's not a pedo

Botpost?

>She

Give me the fucking proof and I'll shut up forever.

Because I don't buggy versions of what already works.

unironically kill yourself faggot

read

I have reasons to use X, I don't have reasons to use wayland

cute! w-wp??

ill trade it for a cute illya pic (。>﹏

I heard akari@Neo-Venezia is actually a girl (female), not a girl (male) or guy (paedo) as previously thought.

Interesting if true.

cute

Gnome sucks ass.

not if you configure it properly

x just worx

no u :3

Because KDE support for it doesn't work fully yet.

"Configuring it properly" would mean removing everything in gnome and making a new interface. There's already a bunch of forks and they still suck.

I'm using gnome on xorg right now so switching to Wayland probably wouldn't bother me. Will Wayland have any performance/ram usage benefits on the desktop or anything? Will bumblebee still work? Will my gaymes perform worse?

>not knowing about gnome-light

>n-no pls i have illya deficiency

>implying the Japanese want revenge for Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 2017

They didn't really care back then and they surely don't now. Just look at their opinion polls about the US. I have no idea how Uncle Sam did it. That post war economic miracle must have really been something.

Because no good 3D acceleration

I use wayland gnome3masterrace ^^

How usable is it? Is it finally easily installed along X now?

Nicely done

Because GTK3 apps behave like shit under every Wayland compositor that isn't GNOME Shell or maybe Plasma (in my example I'm talking about switching from i3 to Sway here), which includes client-side decorations which need hacks to disable.

Also only a handful apps with supported toolkits (which again pretty much only includes GTK3, because Qt 5.8 is still buggy in regard to Wayland) actually run natively on Wayland, which again works out to GNOME programs and a few happy outliers (Wireshark and l3afpad in my case), and especially none of the major browsers. What would be the purpose to run everything on xwayland on Wayland? I'd rather run Weston from a X session every now and then.

Also I can't just use environment variables inherited from /etc/profile (and in turn from package-related configuration files in /etc/profile.d) or ~/.xprofile. Only options are systemd user units (which can't do things like appending PATH for every package nicely) or hacks (replace compositor with wrapper script that sources the relevant profile files again).

Works for the most part, though it doesn't seem perfectly stable.
Some softwares have issues regarding how window management is handled in wayland like dropdown terminal shows up as a separate window and has an icon in dash.
Redshift doesn't work and mouse cursor lags occasionally.
Installation is pretty straightforward, emerge wayland and weston then emerge @world with wayland as global use flag.

Libinput a SHIT.

Because sway doesn't support portrait monitors yet.

I do, but its still a buggy mess

specially in my case where you need scaling, plasma5 wayland is pretty the only option, but its at best unstable, at least on arch.

Shaping up nicely though, another 6 months and it might be getting near something enduser usable.

is there any mainstream distro that officially supports wayland already?

also can wayland be used with MATE?

manjaro gnome is using Wayland by default

Fedora 25 defaults to GNOME on Wayland. So does every distribution with a recent vanilla GNOME if you don't explicitly pick the Xorg or Classic GNOME session on the login screen.

thats good news, i think i'll try it next time i format my PC.
does MATE wrok on wayland tho?

I tried sway and it was OK. But it's still pretty buggy, the mouse is slow, so I'll give it somewhere more time.

Don't know how to set up non-integer scaling (need 1,5 on my laptop with Gnome).

because I don't really understand how it works

I tried following all the correct instructions and official documentation to install it and set it up

But I boot into GNOME, or MATE, or whatever else, and run the command that tells you what you're using, and it keeps saying X11

As far as I read MATE 1.18 now finished porting all GNOME 2 applications to GTK3, however there's no news about the desktop running on Wayland so far. mate-session-manager on Arch still only ships a X session file.

>why aren't you using wayland Sup Forums ?

Played around with it a while back, both using Weston and Sway, it was smooth as butter but a lot of stuff was running poorly under XWayland, here's hoping more software offer Wayland native support.

ATM I can't run it since I need NVidia GPU rendering (only available with the pesky proprietary drivers), but the upcoming Sway release is supposed to support NVidia proprietary drivers so I'll probably give it a spin again when it's out.

bspwm + sxhkd

it's broken with nvidia
gnome 3.24 was supposed to make it work but nope lol

the only reason it excites me is the capability for dynamic dpi scaling across monitors which is not implemented anywhere yet so there is no reason for me to use it

Because wayland on windows makes no sense

>nvidia-drivers
>+wayland
is this real life? did nvidia finally get it's shit together?

I'll wait for it to get more mainstream. Having a better GPU will solve tearing for the most part.

owo

owo

Wayland won't allow special hotkeys for gaming or let you use your own screenshot program plus it forces GNOME dependencies. It's basically systemd all over again.

Because it has no remote display, and I have a need for it.

Why spout bullshit?

Because I use Quartz Compositor and Xenocara

I'm currently on Void but I'd gladly change to Fedora if Wayland worked fine. I have multiple issues with Wayland, the biggest two are mouse lag and font rendering.

On Wayland the mouse seems to freeze Windows 10-style if I launch a program, browse the web or something. It's fucking frustrating.

While I can make Fedora's font rendering absolutely beautiful on Xfce4 and MATE, the font rendering is absolute horseshit on Wayland. Fucking why?

redhat hipster nonsense

Thanks, sounds pretty bad desu
If I had a non-daily driver system I might go and screw around with it a bit but until it's more stable than X I don't really see a reason. I can live with X tearing because I don't move windows around often