/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (R5 1500X will keep above 60fps in every game. No i5
>R5 1600 is the best value for higher fps gaming and mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k is bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti - if on sale for ~$105. RX560 soon & looks good
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA and drop settings for some games
>1060 - Gets outperformed by the RX 580; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - not worth the extra cost for Gsync, except in certain cases
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon.

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS on a retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX is often cheaper as the board+case is usually less
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is generally wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
pcpartpicker.com/list/GdzGM8
imgur.com/a/VIbAg
pcpartpicker.com/list/MfcVXH
youtube.com/watch?v=u2tCnjb6lp8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2R7nqk
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QQ8yBP
reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/69qkyv/bitwit_reports_successful_stable_41ghz_oc_on/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

does anyone have full album of benchmarks/graphs where ryzen r5 rivals with i5 6xxx?

my friend is being a stubborn fuck is about to meme himself into 4/4 cpu. doesn't help that he asked around on a forum and every retard said "muh i5 is better for gaymz"

Send him these videos
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo

Usually does the job.
Do tell him to look not only at framerates but also at CPU usage.

Posting best value 1440p build.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/GdzGM8
Make sure you buy the monitor from some place that handles returns well because ASUS warranty service is retarded and requires 10 dead pixels to be serviced. But dead pixels are something that almost never happen outside of initially delivery.
You will have to turn down settings to medium-high in a few games like Dishonored 2 and GR Wildlands, but that'll do all but like 5-10 games out of 10,000+ at 1440p 60fps at very high or maxed.

4 of those are here: imgur.com/a/VIbAg
4c/4t is garbage. i5s should cost half what they cost.
When 4c/4t works fine, so does an R5. When it doesn't, they're a stuttering mess and just far less performant.

Doesn't always do the job. I've heard some essential "fake news" responses, though a few did change their mind against the overwhelming evidence.

People have been so accustom to seeing GPU bottlenecked benchmarks for so long. You heard the same thing a year or two ago with "6600k is the exact same for 6700k for games" when it was becoming very apparent to me that most games released during Broadwell were utilizing HT well.

Also that monitor goes on sale for $400 sometimes. It was $400 from like April 20th to the 27th.

Still a decent buy at $580 considering the only Gsync monitor at that price is a TN panel (which does go on sale for $500 at times itself), but I'd look to grab it on sale.

The Nixeus 27" 1440p IPS 30-144hz Freesync monitor is up on Massdrop for $400 again, as well. Seems better than the Pixio to me even though we haven't got reviews yet.

Like this one?

I've posted this a few times over the past couple of days, but I think I'm close to making a decision.

I have chosen 3200MHz RAM, but some people have had problem with the Asus Prime getting good speeds, should I opt for the MSI B350 Krait?

Is the price difference of the 1070 worth it over 8GB RX 480?

Or this one?

>gtx 1080
lmao
now post the fury one that has higher fps, even though it's a worse card,r before i do it

Or this one?

>being this much of an AMD shill
>for free

The i5 motherboards are going to go obsolete.

>cherry picking benchnarks with nvidia cards and games

or this one?

I wish we had flags on Sup Forums so we could tell which countries are always shitposting about amd vs intel or amd vs nvidia

>posting a GPU limited bench

And ID's to tell who's same fagging.

>post something that ends up being wrong
>your id is flagged for the whole thread and you dont dare posting any more

Spamming is against the rules.
>

I asked about this in the previous thread but got no replies, so I'll try again

At what point does Ryzen determine that XFR/raising the clock speed is needed? Under what type of load should it start to OC, and is it possible that I somehow disabled the feature?

>AMDfag gets BTFO
>starts crying

The turbo clocks vary based on load across cores.

If all are loaded, the max boost is going to be about halfway between the base and boost clocks (so ~3.75 on a 3.4/4.0 cpu and 3.33 on a 3.0/3.7)
Only when some cores are parked will 2 cores reach that max XFR speed.

Not btfo, it's just eye-roll worthy that you come in here spamming a /pcbg/. You're probably ban evading, as well.
You know as well as everyone else that you're just cherry picking cases where the Nvidia driver is the only thing holding Ryzen back. You're posting examples where the GTX 1080 loses to the old R9 Fury because of how fucked Nvidia's driver is. You know it, everyone else replying to you knows it. You're just spamming and wasting everyone's time in a PC BUILD HELP THREAD. You couldn't be any more off topic or more of a shitlord.
You're not "BTFOing" anyone out. You're not making anyone mad. You're just really sad.

Don't take the bait don't reply to shitposting user. It just adds to them spazzing out.

I was planning on building a ryzen (r5 1600) PC to replace my old FX-6300, but I don't know which to choose.
Should I go mATX and reuse everything from my old PC or should I wait for mini ITX and put it in a Fractal Node 202 case?
I currently have $300 saved up but I'm going to go recycle some cans so that can add an extra $200 to my budget.

If I reuse then I'm also reusing my GTX 1060 3gb, my 5 month old 500 watt EVGA PSU, my mATX Case and all my old SSDs and HDDs.

Any suggestions?

In your budget I would recommend the r5 1500x and mATX motherboard is sold out I think. If you want probably wait for mini itx. I'm guessing you like the form factor?

Yes, reuse those parts, watch sales, and you can do it for under $500 easy.

I got my 1600X+2x16GB RAM+asrock pro4 mATX+PSU+Cryorig C1 for like $425.

herp

derp

>trash mobo
>trash ssd
>trash psu

I already responded to you in the last thread and you didn't fix any of it.

>Fury GPU limited and slower than a 1060

>/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

Welcome to hell
>even /r/intel is suggesting that people either wait for the next Intel lines or go for AMD at the current moment
is that why intelbabs were forced to post on Sup Forums anonymously?

rate my build pcpartpicker.com/list/MfcVXH
not really sure about this MB and PSU, tried to stay on budget after that GPU.
Also already have SSD so dont need another

are there any chances intel's 6 cores will be priced similar to amd's r5?

1. go dual channel ram (2x4gb) and faster (3000mhz)
2. 1tb p300 is actually cheaper than the 500gb.
3. i think asrock pro4 is a better choice

Which motherboard should I get:
Gigabyte GA AX 370
or
Asus Prime x370 pro

I'd assume they're skipping 6 and going to 8 in a flash, but the main issue here is that
>new chipset
meaning that you're going to have to wait quite a while until it becomes an actual worthy purchase.

How does windows compute a percent usage of the cpu?
For example:
If I play a game and i7 7700k is working on low frequency (e.g. 800 mhz) because this game doesn't need more (but CPU may speed up own frequency if it will be needed, as you know max is 4.5 ghz). So, if cpu is full-loaded on 800 hz, will this be 100% usage?

Wait, is the ASrock H170 Pro4 not compatible with amd? Fuck..

Unlikely. It's on a new socket with 2066 pins.
Intel 6 cores are still cut down monolithic 10 cores for Skylake-E, from what I can see. Not the 2x4 core small dies that Ryzen are.
It will surely outperform, but I'm guessing about $200 for a motherboard that's equivalent to a $90 B350 board (more PCIe lanes and quad channel, but otherwise equivalent quality and VRMs), plus $400+ for the 6core CPU itself.

Not worth it when you can just upgrade to Zen3 or Zen4 in 2 years on the same motherboard while the 1600 performs more than well enough for now.

It goes by the total frequency of each core and averages how it should.

No shit?

If I'm adding additional RAM to my system, is it imperative that I use the same model of RAM, or can I mix and match? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't all be compatible but are there some problem child sticks?

Your system will drop to the lowest frequency RAM. I think dual channel overcomes this. Not sure.

Why the fuck is there ITX for X99, that makes absolutely no sense.
What the shit.

Same stick is better.
It will downclock to whichever is slower. It will downclock further if it can't downclock to exactly that same speed and timings of the other.

If you get a different stick that's the same DDR4 dies, same ranks, same CL, and same frequency, there is a good chance it'll just work on modern chipsets and MCs.

Yeah, it was a pretty shitty and compromising board. And not to mention the temps and how loud that cooler is.
That $110 Biostar X370 mITX is better.

But there's a market for it. Just like so many people wanted to put their Ryzen 8 cores in a mITX SFF. Those Biostar boards sell out within minutes each time they get in stock.

Yep, also waiting for some good mini-itx boards for ryzen and fractal 202 build. Might just go for i5 6400 because i have waited ™ long enough

>i5 6400
Not worth it. A 1500X is like 50% better even in games on average.
Slightly better averages, way better minimums and smoothness, and you'll have tons of CPU utilization left over so shit in the background doesn't make it hitch.

The Biostar board really doesn't seem bad. Biostar has gotten better. It's not GREAT, but it's not bad. Go check the youtube reviews on it.
The worst thing about it is the stupid 'racing' theme.

Im on a very tight budget (£300) pound and considering getting a case with a built in PSU to save money. Anyone have any experiences/recommendations with this?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 3.2GHz, 16MB
ASRock ASRock AB350M PRO4
Toshiba P300 1TB
Patriot Viper 4 DDR4, 2x4GB, 3000MHz, CL16
Enermax MaxPro 80+ 600W
MSI RX 580 ARMOR 8G

Thoughts? 1080p 144hz. Still waiting for Vega. Already have an SSD. RAM is from QVL List.

I can switch PSU for CX450M but apparently Enermax is better quality and quieter. No SeaSonic or EVGA, they're too expensive here.

living in yuropoorland so 6400 is way cheaper,
also i can have my sff this week

I don't know about the PSU or SSD and I'm not going to look them up for you, but the rest is alright.
CL16 is kind of high for DDR4 3000 and I think it'll have trouble running at that speed.
That GPU is not a good model afaik. But I guess you don't want to spend much if you're replacing it with Vega soon.

If it's not 33% cheaper, it's not worth the performance loss, though. Not to mention the drawback of buying into a dead socket.

I would generally not do that, but check reviews. Sometimes they're decent.
Rosewill makes their own PSUs IIRC and they can be okay.

Thanks guys

Pretty good
I recommend this advice

1. did
2. did
3. will think about it, seen it recommended a lot
Thanks, so this PSU is good enough?

The 6400 is still a pretty bad buy, because it has such low clocks.

yea my HDD choice was really dumb and was thinking about upgrading my RAM, but if i take 4 slot MB i should get 2x4gb now

>Thanks, so this PSU is good enough?
I would get a 450-550w semi-modular or modular PSU, but if you already have that one just use it anyway.

And $400 is a lot to pay for a 1070. They go on sale for $310-$335 often.

Founders edition card with an EK block, loop includes a 7700k. Have 2x 249 rads for cooling, fans turning at 500RPM with no ramp up.

Really happy with this result, PC is silent until my ear is right next to the case.

i will have to pay even more than that since i am yuropoor (530 usd for GPU)
This build will cost me month and a half of my paycheck

This is the build I made in 2014.
Use is 1080p gaming.
>i5 4430
>R9 270 2GB
>8GB vengeance lp 1600
>1tb hdd
>h81plus asus mobo

I know my CPU is fine for the time being, until I overhaul my system.
I am in the process of getting an ssd.

But the real problem is my GPU, it's just not cutting it anymore.
Since I am really thrifty I would prefer to find a deal on used hardware instead of buying new, especially since there havent been great breakthroughs but there's still a lot of people that upgrade and sell their "old" parts.

I was looking at the R9 380 and the GTX 770.
The 770 is a bit better but also older (and sometimes with less vram), so it kind of balances itself out.
My problem is:
>would it be a worthwhile upgrade?
I'll buy them if i can get them under 100€, and I think I may be able to sell my 270 for 60-70 tops.

Thoughts?

I can get CL15 for about the same price but that's not on the QVL list, so it would probably work at 2400mhz or some shit. I'll wait for next AGESA update, if it fixes the problems with frequency I'll pick the CL15.

That RX 580 is a placeholder, also the cheapest available. The rest is at least 50$ more, I want to see how small Vega performs. My SSD is comparable to HyperX Savage.

What's the best performance and look wise CPU fan?

I wanted pic related but from reviews it's no better than a stock cooler, why make such a cool looking but shit performing CPU fan ffs

>The 770 is a bit better but also older (and sometimes with less vram), so it kind of balances itself out.

It might have been at release, but it certainly isn't at new games. Kepler has aged TERRIBLY. In fact, you can probably find games where the 270 beats 770.

>PC is silent until my ear is right next to the case.
Does it sense you approaching?

I thought RX580s are like 300EUR? Doesn't that make the RX580 an even better deal compared to the 1070, even if it doesn't perform as well? That's like 75% the performance at only 60% the price, no?

My general recommendation is you get something like: Put those savings on the GPU toward a nice quality, comfy, 1440p IPS Freesync monitor.
The GPU may be only borderline good enough for some newer games at 1440p, but you'll keep the monitor far longer than you'll keep the GPU. You can eventually upgrade to do 144fps at 1440p on it.

Cheap route would be to get a 4790. Your 4430 is going to bottleneck even an R9 380.
I had an i5-2500k and it bottlenecked my 7970(especially a 380) in many games often.
I'd also wait to see what RX560s sell for. They should be similar or faster than the 380, but at under half the power consumption and you could buy new with warranty instead of used.
Definitely don't get the 770. It aged terribly. All Kepler and Maxwell cards have issues where they shit the bed when they run out of VRAM when AMD cards don't. 3GB GCN > 4GB Kepler/Maxwell.

Oh. If it's on the QVL, then go for it.

Yeah I looked at that too. It's cool, but sucks.
I prefer downblowers since they also cool VRMs and RAM, along with many other upsides.
I got the Cryorig C1. It's slightly louder than I'd like, but the pitch of it makes it sound dampen easily inside a case. Most other AM4 compatible down-blowers were ugly.
It was also fairly overpriced at $60. Especially since I might end up spending another $15-$25 on a better fan at some point for it.

fuck me I meant to write faster in the spec sense, but yeah optimization, overclocking and DX12 put the 380 on top

yea 650w is bit overkill, will try to find 500~ modular. Maybe will save some money

Would you recommend a CPU fan over a AIO cooler?

will need it for CUDA, and in Croatia everything is more expensive. Also already have 1440p.
I think with this advice ill finish my build. Also a bit lower PSU

Yeah it's sort of shitty, but it's not intended to be the top-end ultra efficient Cryorig R1U or liquid loop competitor, especially in that size, there's just not enough area.

What it does excel at is being small, it's pretty crazy small not much else comes close so it fits in that niche build segment of where you're trying to build a super compact PC and nothing else will fit. GN did a good video on this thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=u2tCnjb6lp8

It's nice to see innovation though, I almost want to reward TT for trying something entirely different. I've never seen a sandia cooler anywhere else currently.

It's a game works feature

As a 7970 owner, which is essentially the 280/380, I wouldn't consider overclockability much.

Yeah, I can overclock mine about 40% higher, which puts it nearly at RX470 performance, but the power draw and heat output is ridiculous.
Unless you're in a cold climate all year long, I would not recommend.

But I can still play most modern games at 60fps+ with it undervolted 150mV, at which point it's fairly cool.
I'd really recommend the RX560 if it winds up being 125EUR or less. Buying something with warranty is worthwhile. After 4-6 years, stuff just starts dying on some cards like one of the fans, or they can become less stable if they were used for mining and require higher voltage, etc.

lol yes. Definitely. AIOs are awful. Good air coolers take up less space, are quieter, cheaper, no maintenance worry, and are 90-95% as good.

The Cryorig C1 is quite small, though. 74mm tall. That's less than half the height of most tower coolers
It's about as small as something can be while still clearing over RAM.
But yeah it's not THAT small. But there are other small cooler slike the Noctua L9x65 or whatever that outdo it.

Ah if what you have doesn't support OpenCL, go for the 1070. But if it supports OpenCL, the RX580 will almost always beat the 1070.

I cant afford to upgrade my cpu with a 3 year old cpu, especially since I plan to redo my system in 1 or 2 years.
I also doubt the 4430 will bottleneck the 380, honestly you are the first to tell me that.
afterall it's a relatively new quad core that turbo's at 3.2Ghz, that should be enough even with 970, since I dont play games at max settings, hence dont require a lot of calculation, and dont play really CPU intensive games like Arma, that I dont play though
I dont know about the 560, doesnt seem like it would be much of a jump
I agree that the 770 hasnt aged well, discard that.

I can tell you now I wont buy the 560.
If I'm buying new it will be a higher end card when I re-do my system, I cant justify buying new something that is marginally better than what I have and still middle-low end.
I'll probably get a 580 in 1-2years or the 600 counterpart if I stick with the 270 now

also to be fair, 40% is a fuckload more. just stock would be enough for me, or a little OC

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2R7nqk

Looking for a way to make this build cheaper/more effective with low budget £300
Its mainly intended as a work station with light gaming using the integrated graphics for now
Intending on buying a better gpu/cpu later down the line

>As a 7970 owner, which is essentially the 280/380
280 is essentially 7950, while the 380 is essentially a 285 and based on a newer design(with lower power draw, among other things).

The 560 should be about 25% better than the 1050Ti, which puts it in a pretty good spot if the price is right.
Keep in mind the 380 is significantly worse than the RX570. By about 40% iirc.
A 4GB RX560 I think will really be the better choice if it's under 125EUR. Just wait for benchmarks and see if you can find ones that have both the 380 and RX560 then. Guru3d usually tests old cards against new ones.

Yes. 40% more performance for free is a lot, but not worth the electricity cost and heat for anyone not in a cold climate. And more like 20% for those that don't have golden dies.

Yeah if user gets the 4GB 380, it's a bit better. The 2GB can be worse than a good 7970, though.

Really happy with this build, everything was second hand besides the RAM and monitor. I want to upgrade to the 21:9 ratio but I lucked out on this gook monitor since it overclocks so well. I'll wait for that 21:9 Gsync HDR not IPS 100+ refresh monitor to come out.

The Denon is not really a second display, I use HDMI for audio and you gotta have a display enabled for it to work.

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2R7nqk
I'd get a semi-modular PSU, but looks solid otherwise.
You may be able to find a cheap motherboard with integrated wifi, too.

>i7 with an NVMe
k? cuck

Yeah, running @ 5.1ghz

Are these before or after the chipset update with the ryzen powerplan as well as up to date bios firmware

You have no clue what's being pointed out by
>i7 with an NVMe
The ignorance and wasted money is beautiful.

It's Nvidia's driver causing those problems. Cherry picked shit. Report and move on.

Very nice result if stable outside of CPU-Z.

I'm sitting comfy at 2.2GHz. heatsink is cold to the touch.

It's 100% stable it runs at about 64~65degC under full load with the stock cooler. Waiting for BIOS firmware updates so I can push the memory to 3200MHz

pretty impressed so far by this thing using an rx480 alongside it

Anyone know how high I can clock the R5 1600 with a 212 Evo?

who is this semen demon

>7 FPS difference
Pathetic shill

While I see a need for this I don't think IDs and flags are that great for solving anything.

Shills and specially paid shills will use VPNs and proxies and get around it. Random visitors who pop in and post something the 10 minutes of the day they have time to waste on a forum like this will get their ID flagged for no good reason.

See Sup Forums for a live example of why this doesn't actually have the effect you'd think it would.

Only thing being high lighted is your autism

there are far less "paid shills" than you think there are
not everybody disagreeing with you is paid to do so, people can be dumb or fanboys

t.paid shill

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QQ8yBP
Final check. Give me your approval /pcbg/.

Looks good but I don't recommend buying AMD GPUs.

Looking good user, but what are you using it for?

mITX FOR RYZEN FUCKING WHEN? FUCK AMD!

mITX FOR XEONS WHEN REEE

Lel Ryzen is so fucking shit

Nobody should get that crap for gaming

You should read more Reddit
reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/69qkyv/bitwit_reports_successful_stable_41ghz_oc_on/

AMDtards literally have paranoid schizophrenia, they think everyone is a paid shill