Firewall

What is the best firewall (for windows) according to Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

glasswire.com/buy/
tinywall.pados.hu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

install gentoo

This.
And use pfsense.

I am required to use windows because the software I use professionally, is windows exclusive.

can I have a real (non-meme) answer please?

bump bc curious also

The built-in one is perfectly fine.

The one built-in plus common sense.

>non meme retard loonix answer
>on Sup Forums
Pick one
Also, the one of Windows 10 is fine, you have to learn how to configure it... And if you wanna be a douchebag with everyone, modify the router firewall

>Hi guys I'm a fucking idiot who knows nothing about security, recommend me the best firewall.

>Don't give me the best recommendation, I need some garbage software based solution to run directly on top of the platform I'm trying to protect

You're hopeless

it isn't. it allows plenty of shit without asking me.

>hey guys recommend me tires for my car
>buy this other car
Sup Forumstarded loonix autists are the worst

Really? Like what?

If you're hoping that a shitty wangblows software based firewall is going to protect you, you're an idiot and already lost.

i use windows firewall control as a frontend to manage the built in one.

my answer is probably not 100% correct but i guess F-secure has a good firewall

>I want the best firewall
>what do you mean the best firewall isn't a software solution, give me a non-meme answer please you autist

technology illiterate winbabies are the worst

Still waiting for you to tell me about these mysterious "shits" that are allowed through without asking.

I want the best software based firewall for windows.

learn to read.

You mad.

Define "best".

comodo is not bad, but it comes with a lot of bloatware you have to unselect or disable

no outbound traffic filtering at all, with outbound filtering you instantly know when some program tries to phone home and can block it

Might as well use nothing my dude. If you're serious about security you will have a hardware UTM device.

Are you hosting anything? Windows does not need a firewall. If you have a router it probably closes most ports.

I want to know which software is trying to access shit, and then choose to allow or block it.

>no outbound traffic filtering at all
You're retarded.

no retard, it doesn't alert you. you can manually block shit, but otherwise it allows everything

So make a new rule, ya dingus.

It's the opposite of a firewall

Comodo if you're looking for a free option that is common. Glasswire is also very very good. They have a free version, but the $50 license is worth it to get all of the features.

it doesn't have to be free. I'll look into glasswire if that's better than comodo.

been using Eset, but it's acting up for some reason.

what's the difference between Glasswire free and paid?

Yea it's $50 for a single license, $100 I think for 3, and $200 for 10 licenses. They also make a free app for Android. It's nice. Notifies you any time an app or service is trying to reach out to upload it download.

These are the different versions. I think free doesn't have stuff like lock down mode, remote connections and some other stuff.

glasswire.com/buy/

Or you could just block every outbound connection and just unblock what you need/want? I mean, you could bloat your system with more programs than you actually need, but with your level of paranoia you should seriously consider going full Stallman.

Comodo is the best, as confirmed by the vault 7 leaks

>Or you could just block every outbound connection and just unblock what you need/want?
you know how much more time that takes opposed to a decent fucking 3rd party firewall?

>Comodo is the best, as confirmed by the vault 7 leaks
elaborate please

>you know how much more time that takes opposed to a decent fucking 3rd party firewall?
It's a firewall. What you're looking for is a network monitor + firewall combo. Stop being a fucking uneducated idiot.

literally every firewall other than windows one has that functionality you cuck.

>can't even notify me of outbound attempts
fucking useless.

a dedicated pfsense box.

otherwise use an SPI firewall on your router to block random traffic and port scans, then use built in windows firewall.

>block all mode
>paying $50 cause you're too stupid to disable the NIC instead

Stupidity tax.

>you know how much more time that takes
until
i thought OP question was legit, and i was at the verge of give him an honest answer.
however at this point we can be certain he is not only illiterate and ignorant, poor (otherwise would ask an expert), but also pretending to obtain a solution without spending any time to investigate.
tl;dr kys potatoe

how do I add a rule for something (exe) I dont know will exist or will be created tomorrow?

you cant with windows firewall

You do it by blocking all outgoing connections for every program and all ports.

but I dont want to do that, I want to be asked whether to allow or no when I install a new program

In this thread, it's obvious who the tech literate are as well as the Sup Forums memers. You all know it too.

Comodo 6.X Gaping Hole of DOOM
Comodo, as you may know, is a colossal pain in the posterior. It literally catches everything until you tell it not to, including standard windows services (say what?!?).

...at least, that's what happens on Comodo 5.X. In 6.X, Comodo apparently decided that catching things that were part of windows was a Bad Thing(tm). Their "fix" was... kinda lame

Anything running as SYSTEM is automatically legit under 6.X. ANYTHING. Let that sink in. Got a kernal level exploit? Good, because you can drop the kitchen sink and the contents of your garage and as long as you continue to run as SYSTEM you are golden. Yeah.

Needless to say, Comodo 6.X doesn't catch nearly as much stuff. Comodo's user base, paranoid bastards that they are, has apparently caught wind of this and lots of them haven't upgraded to 6.X. Kind of a shame, cuz this is a hole you could drive a very large wheeled freight carrying vehicle through. However, if you're lucky enough to be going against a target running 6.X, have fun!

ok so comodo 6 is shit, 5 is great?

When the CIA hacking tools were leaked there was a lot of conversations between them saying that Comodo was a pain in the ass to deal with, just check the vault 7 leaks, I didn't look much into it.

has comodo adressed this? holy shit.

you'd think people would whine until they made 6 work like 5

pretty sure you can disable it in newer versions...

at least I could block stuff and it rly blocked it (updates did not work etc)

I have these options:

svchost.exe
system
windows updater applications
windows system applications

can be configured however you wish.

This was never funny

Off yourself memer

>pretty sure you can disable it in newer versions...
so you're not really sure?
can you provid details about how to disable it?

pedo detected

how is that related to trying to block nvidia and windows/office telemetry shit and other botnet

Good luck blocking windows telemetry with any firewall.

what's a firewall?

on that note, what's telemetry? is it like TELNET.EXE?

its just changing the default...

add new rule to block those 4 "applications" and windows wont be able to communicate anywhere.

Do it from the router dumbass

>utorrent
>opera
Good bait.

Routers are the best firewalls. For maximum security you should use routers from different countries. The Chinese router that lacks a backdoor for the American government, a European and American router to defeat the backdoor in the Chinese router, a Russian router to defeat the backdoor in the European router, etc...

of course you should configure windows firewall as well

that doesn't seem to be the same as is mentioned on the wikileaks email

Did you try this? I was reading out of curiosity and I remember you can make him to ask you every time you install something (like gaems)

>firewall
>2010

lol another complainant that doesn't understand
>install gentoo
==
>RTFM
==
>>>g/sqt/

Windows10FirewallControl, now beat it.

hahah you homo, it's 2017 already hahahhaha he missed 7 fucking years

install genteau

tinywall.pados.hu/
blocks everything by default
you're welcome

run pfsense or soemthing on an old router, or use a raspi

if you MUST use software, comodo is alright(but they try to trick you into installing garbage.)

And when your done with that you should just off yourself

>The enemy of my enemy is my friend!
Nope, or at least not necessarily.

You're 100% correct that you should use a firewall that's not running on the platform its protecting, but you're dead wrong in assuming that because some product is made in country X, it'll foil surveillance and hacking from country Y because X and Y aren't diplomatically friendly right now.

I think he means to use a Chinese one, and a Russian one, then an American one, and the last one would be European.... all at the same time

>Russian router
Are you serious? Try to name one.

Windows 7 pro built-in is bretty gud and configurable.

Comodo is up to version 10, they fixed the issue already.

Set HIPS to Paranoid Mode and it will question even Windows system applications.

Not using Windows is not the "best recommendation" for a Windows-based firewall you fucking twit. Either you can't read the OP or refuse to read it because your religion (Linux) doesn't allow the thought.

>Routers are the best firewalls

holy fucking shit this retard meme will not die

> a router is not an application firewall

unless you're paying thousands of buckaroos for a network-based application router, your home router does not filter at the application layer, which is something that host based firewalls like Windows Firewall or Comodo do.

>best firewall (for windows)
Disconnect from the internet

1. install linux
2. instal FireHOL

note that it doesn't mean you DON"T run a network firewall at the router, but don't assume that's all you need. if you're sufficiently paranoid enough you should have a host application firewall as well as your network pfsense firewall for example.

gufw

How about old software firewalls from the XP era, like zonealarm or kerio, are these obsolete?

A Linux machine between it and the internet

Kerio is only 32bit with no updates since 2008

but yea, it used to be the best one

Comodo is pretty good. Might be the best. I used it before I discovered running windows in a vm off the web. Bit of a learning curve but real nice.

A cisco ASA.

Well, that's ONE use for a Linux box.

You don't need security software in 2017.

You haven't needed it for 10 fucking years. Uninstall it you faggot.

tinywall is good

You should read the wiki. Also tinywall.