/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U&t=17
youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ
amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Monoprice-Designed-Mobile-Stereo-Male-Plated-Black/B00AJHB8R8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's the difference between these headphones

And these? Are they both Piston 3? Is there a difference in the sound?

Piston 3s are gone. The new ones are shit. Just buy hybrids

Are the second headphones I posted the new ones?

Yes.The youth edition. If you can find the other one that isn't a fake then tell me

Any chance I could fix this wire? My cat bit through it

So what is this multi-bit thing? Can someone fill me in?

>it's an "audiophools mistake boosted treble for detail resolution" episode

Sounds like HD600 fans to me.

True patricians know that the HD650 is the more resolving headphone.

Gross, disgusting, cracked pleather headphone band? Thinking about buying a spare or worse, a new pair? Put your wallet away son. Because boy do I have a solution for you.

TESA tape is adhesive backed cloth which you can wrap around your headphones to give it a clean soft finish.

One roll of this shit will last you for ages and only set you back a few bucks. 51608 seems to be the good stuff but other models might offer different softer or firmer feels to your preference.

Resolution isn't a concept headphones are associated with.

>multibit
In audiophile circles that is usually used to describe some sort of resistor ladder DAC or even segmented DAC like Yggdrasil. It's just another way to build a DAC. Unimportant for the listener.

Hi $10 Walmart shitphones user

I don't like that name but hello. Something on your mind?

Your shit opinions are on my mind, boo.

Can you address them? I'm usually very clear when I share an opinion.

>Resolution isn't a concept headphones are associated with.

I bet you think your shitty mobo and a dedicated external DAC sound the same as well.

can someone explain the following meme to me?
I bought a pair of 662 EVO's recently, as I heard great things about them and their pricetag, and they are great, but also seem to share a really really odd flaw.

They have unbalanced highs and lows. And not in the normal term of unbalanced, no, they're literally unbalanced in the right and left speakers. The left side plays higher frequencies on a higher volume, and the right side plays lower frequencies on a higher volume. I've gone trough settings across the fucking globe and switched the sides around, but it's still exactly the same.

Is this even possible? Are the drivers just shit?

what do you expect buying cheap chink shit.

>he thinks everything isn't cheap chink shit
name an actual american workshop for headphones

He was probably thinking of german brands, user, Americans can't do headphones much better than the chinese.

That's a windows issue.

i think you got unlucky

I have two pairs, but I'm heavily thinking that it's because switching the channels around reverses the effect.
There's no way they're damaged or wrongly built if switching the left and right to right and left FROM windows makes it work the opposite way.

The Schiit Cans are made in America. But they don't sound any different from your motherboard's on-board headphones

I have both. Anything you hear on one headphone, you hear on the other because they're very similar. The HD600 is just a tiny bit clearer and better for detail listening.

>Americans can't do headphones much better than the chinese.
Literally nothing tops this for pure sound quality at the moment.

I hope that wasn't your idea addressing my post. Not only did you not address anything I said, you replied with something unrelated which makes it sound like you managed to misunderstand what I wrote.

Not once did I say there aren't differences between gear of any type.

Go read what I said again and if you still disagree, explain how do you think resolution is applicable to headphones?

>mobo and dedicated external DAC sounding the same
Plausible. Just like it's plausible that they don't. Whether DAC is on the mobo or somewhere else doesn't tell us about the quality. Audibility is another question and since these are devices have an analog stage, the performance depends equally on the load.

Each driver manufactured is unique, they exhibit different frequency dependent sensitivity. The pair of drivers used on your headphone are likely just not matching. That tells of poor quality control and/or very poor tolerances.

You need to attenuate the signal per channel and as a function of frequency. Use an equalizer.

Being this autistic can't be healthy.

Anyone know what this style of mic is called?

Looking for something to pair with my earbuds when I need to talk so can't use a modmic.

>Each driver manufactured is unique, they exhibit different frequency dependent sensitivity.
Except this doesn't seem to be the case as in he states that this issue remains but just switched when flipped inside Windows.

Oh yeah true. Didn't read more than the original post.

Sounds very odd.

Don't those have detachable cables

Neato

$500 Sennheiser headphones had this issue for years, it happens

anyone know if there's a way of turning the automated voice off on a pair of hopestar h666 headphones?

Presenter/speaker/tour guide/teacher mics. Most of them require packs but some are 3.5mm

Has anyone here tried or know anything about the DAC-X3?
I see a lot of stuff about the X6 but X3 is a mystery

Just got hd650s, had hd599s and dt880s.

holy FUCK do they sound absolutely amazing and I just wish they were as comfortable as the 599s. The headband is waaay too stiff and it feels like it will snap (hehe snapheiser) if I put slightly too much force on it, and it clamps too hard. The earcups are also much less roomy than the 599s and they push on my ears just a bit. Build quality seems somewhat worse, maybe not worse but not much better than the 599s/dt880s compared how much more they cost

There are replacements for headbands on amazon my dude.

you mean to replace the headband on 650 so it clamps less? that's my only issue with it. i would need to look into something to make the cups roomier as well, without messing with the sound then

youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U&t=17

You can bend the metal adjustment sliders so the cups clamp less

this is great, thanks a lot my dudes

Pro or Premium DT880's (32/250/600)? How's it sound compared to the 599/650? Anything you liked/disliked about it from the others? Comfort pros/cons?

treble rape

250 ohm premium for max comfy

Thinking of getting DT880 250 Ohm Pros with DT770 pads because loose clamp sounds iffy for my small head. People complain about 668B's clamping hard when they're snug without feeling like a vice grip on my head. I've also heard DT770 pads add a bit of isolation and bass compared to 880/990 Stock pads.

I have studio headphones that have a really long cable that annoys me to no end since I use them with a PC and have a tabletop DAC/Amp.
Should I just cut the cable to the desired length and solder on a new jack?

I'm a bit squeamish about cutting off a perfectly working jack, but given a proper solder job this shouldn't really do shit to affect how the headphones function, right?

880 250 ohm premiums here, upgraded from SR 850 (Superlux 681).

>really comfy, right amount of clamp, pads are like having two pillows against your head
>treble can be a bit peaky for some
>bass is just right for my tastes
>needs amp
>actually made in germany
>nice carry case included

Why would anyone buy from sennheiser.com? They still sell 10+ year old headphones at rediculous prices when Amazon has them for hundreds less.

Same user from My only worry is I've heard the Premium's clamp is a quite a bit lighter than the Pros and the Pros use the same extremely soft pads as the premiums resulting in your ear touching the driver (which I don't mind) and feeling the sharp edges of the cups. I forgot to mention I wear thin plastic framed glasses.

It literally has no bass.

They really look like ear dildos. How deep do they go? Just looking at them feels uncomfortable

I guess you can always try and reduce the clamping force of the pros, but you can't really increase the clamping force of the premiums

also the pros come with a coiled cable

>Budget
50€ soft limit

>Location
Portugal

>Source
e10k at home, random PC on classes/intern or mobile phone outside. I doubt it matters for an IEM.

>Type of headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
No etymotics. I don't want dildos deep in my ears

>Sound signature
Neutral to warm. I don't want spiky treble like the DT990s. Something similar to the 6xx would be great but I doubt anything exists for 50€ like that. I prefer a bassier or warmer signature. I mainly want to avoid spiky treble.

>Past headphones
K712, 650s, DT990

sorry you missed the prestige boat

>Budget
$300, can go slightly over
>Location
USA
>Source
PC Audio Jack
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Comfort level
High, willing to sacrifice sound quality a bit
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
ATH-M50s. The sound was good but they were very uncomfortable to wear after a few hours, and the hinge snapped on one side, making them unusable.

HD 600/R70X

DT 880 250 ohm premium

>Budget

Up to $80

>Location
Miami, FL
>Source
PC mainly, with occasional cellphone use
>Type of headphone
Over ear, full sized

>Comfort level

Should comfortable to use for hours at a time.
>Sound signature
Should be neutral, bass makes my ears hurt after a while but I do want a little to medium kick to them
>Past headphones

>Beats by Dre.

I have amazon prime right now, and I need these asap as I primarily concerned with having isolation when they're in use to study.

These look perfect, thanks.

m40x

whats the sound quality like on these?

Creative Aurvana Live

youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

I bought underwater earphones that were corkscrewed once. They were very comfortable and it's nice to have clean ears

Lavalier or lapel mic.

There are other sleeves that come included.
As for depth, second bend of the ear canal.

That's clearly not a lapel mic

Can someone recommend me a good 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to bridge my O2 and ODAC? Something about 10cm will do.

I am not looking for any snake oil. A very good cable of unknown origin broke on me so I bought some ebay replacement, but this shit picks up so much noise I can hear aliens trying to communicate with us.

Hey there I was wondering whats a good pair of headphones i should buy so i can listen to music when i walk to work?

Status CB-1 or XPT100

monoprice

>monoprice
something from the UK / Europe please

Amazon UK has monoprice cables.

amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Monoprice-Designed-Mobile-Stereo-Male-Plated-Black/B00AJHB8R8

Any idea if it's shielded or not?

I have the same one. Didn't get any interference.

Alright I will bite the bullet. It's from amazon so if it's gonna be shit I can return it free of charge anyway

That's literally wrong. It might be tonally bass light but it extends down to infrasonic frequencies with very little roll off. The new ER-4XR actually has bass boost.

Oh man, that pic brings back memories from back when /hpg/ was good.

you mean when CG would shit up to death several threads a day?

K240 arrived today

Are 7.1 surround headphones actually any good or are they pretty gimmicky?

>Budget
Around $100

>Location
Denmark

>Source
Mainly my PS4. My TV has shit audio, so this is mainly what i'll use them for, whether it's games, shows.

>Type of headphone
Open cans with bluetooth

>Comfort level
Something that can be worn for hours and hours. Audio quality is not a priority, as long as it's at least okay.

>Sound signature
Neutral, unless there's some that are better suited for vidya and tv shows.

>Past headphones
Used to own M50's for music listening, but they started to give me a headache for some reason. This is why i now avoid closed headphones. I think it was caused by some minor pressure on the muscles around my ears, which the closed headphones usually sat on. I don't fucking know though.

These days i usually listen to music on speakers, so crazy audio quality is not a priority.

Thanks in advance /hpg/

Are you liking it?

Or when people ended up blaming a boogeyman """CG""" on everything which fit into that certain criteria. Or editing OP to have some personal agenda against a random user. Or Snapheiser/Beyersremorse image dumps which somehow still manage to fool and bait users to deduct stuff about build quality. Or posting the same cherry picked FR plots over and over again. Knowles driver pricing and Etymotic. Amps I don't like are hiss monsters. People getting mad at HornLoaded or Cummypaws. OP deleted because of half naked Sonico. O2 vs Magni, M50 vs V6, HD 600 vs DT880.

What joyous times.

Basically nothing has changed except the tripfags left and now the boogeyman is TrustyFucks. That, and the M50X has fallen into disrepute.

Half of the time it actually was CG though, Beyeremorse vs mudheiser had his fingerprints all over it.
I actually didn't had a problem with HornyLoad and Op with half naked Sonico was bagging to be deleted dude, you know that.
Brand wars seem to be the constant here, hell, remeber before /hpg/ when we had five different threads for V6 vs M50? It's not bad that it all got contained in just on thread.

Are HD600 pads supposed to be asymmetrical? Excuse the filth.

Is the Fidelio X2 worth getting? Is it true they went to shit when they swapped over to Gibson or was that just an epic maymay?

Oh shit, another round of 'what could it be', /hpg/

Nope, I swapped them around when they got used up, but still need to replace them around every 18 months.

prolly some used broke nigga shit desu

It's Headphones! I Bet it's Headphones!!

My massive head just eats pads I guess. They all get super squished after just a month or two.

Ear pads!

aaaaand its fucking nothing. They actually came in yesterday and I put the on and everything without taking pics first. They're the sheepskin memory foam, 5/5 they're ok.

>sheep skin
You murderer... just kidding, love Sheep Skin pads, post some pics of it on the headphone.

My soft head got literally dented in on top from the headband of my hd600. You can't see it because I got really thick hair, but you can feel it with hand, and my hairdresser hates me for this.
Pic related is me right now. I don't think I will ever get it back to normal but at least I try to prevent further damage. It also hurts me now if I wear HD600 without this baseball hat for more than 10 minutes.

>Budget
Around $100

>Location
California

>Source
iPod, Note5

>Type of headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
looking for comfy, don't mind buying some new tips if need be or sacrifice sound quality for comfort

>Sound signature
don't have a preference

>Past headphones
MEE M6 Pro, MEE X6 Plus, Shure SE215, Shure SRH440, Sennheiser HD-25 II, Sennheiser Amperior, Sennheiser CX-685, Sony MDR-XB500

I might just buy SE215s again, but would like to explore