/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

best irc client for android?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/badblocks#read-write_Test_.28non-destructive.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm dabbling in seo for the first time to help a friend out with his restaurant. How do I choose keywords?

I'm building it on wix and it has an seo tool that analyzes keywords for "strength". So I just put in some of the most popular menu items as keywords. Is this basically useless or should I choose some hyper specific terms that like the business name, or "pizza [city of restaurant]" instead of simply "pizza"?

HoloIRC

what is tetris game's logic?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and to take a screenshot you have to swipe your hand across the screen to take a screenshot. Is there any way to change how you take a screenshot? Can I set it to something different?

mysql index question: if I have a WHERE clause with more than one field should I have a composite index that includes all of them?

thanks in advance.

Looking for a piece of software that can add text to PDFs. I tried LibreOffice but all fonts get replaced, which results in a messed up PDF.

I just need to add some text. Not remove anything, not move anything around.

Help pls

Which phones have best cameras? Preferably nothing too expensive.

Home and Volume Up.

If it's an editable form, Adobe Reader will let you do that. If it isn't one, Xournal will let you bring it in and overlay text and images on it.

Sadly it's not an editable form.

Xournal looks exactly like what I need

Thanks a lot!

Will change the label of a SSD/HDD after being labeled as "new disk" for a year affect the software installed/paths, something?
I mean, I know you can fuck up by changing drive letters, but what about the label?.

Thick awoo ass as a present.

I NEVER had issues after renaming a partition/hard drive label as long as I can remember

works fine, no software should rely on it

I'm going to run two commands monthly in cron. On Debian Wheezy, will there be any surprises using this?
SHELL=/bin/bash
@monthly echo hurr > /some/file && echo durr /another/file

make sure /another/file contain the full path, or put a cd /home/wherever && in front of it

some months ago i started working at this company and they recently started changing our dell laptops to top of the line macbook pros. since i got one of the newer dells they don't plan to replace it anytime soon, but it just sucks and on top of everything it's running w7.

i recently had a couple BSODs that i tried to take advantage off, but the IT people say all they can do is reinstall w7. is there any way i can force (or fake) actual hardware damage without being too obvious? i really want to get rid of that slow piece of shit.

tl;dr: how can i fake bsod's on a w7 laptop or inflict hardware damage inconspicuously?

tell the IT guy you'll suck his dick for a mac, faggot.

what source owo

quit projecting your sexual insecurities on others, retard

>tl;dr: how can i fake bsod's on a w7 laptop
Fuck with the audio drivers

wouldn't they log that kind of stuff from the domain controller?

Guys, whats the maximum secure system/OS that you can think of ? I need a os where nothing can be spied on, everything entering and leaving is encrypted and just to be safe from everyone. Is such a thing even possible ?

Who's the girl?

What are some good and free server box providers for prototyping server applications? If I were to get a box for personal use, how much would I pay? I'd essentially want a box that I could host a database on, maybe have an MVC for user friendly communication between database and devices interacting with server box, html front page to make use of my domain, et cetera. My ideal is just to have a server where I can put my scientific data into an sql database. Then have the server connected to a few devices around my house and have some kind of functionality. Finally, I'd create a small personal app or web page where I could control my devices and server remotely.

Hey, you said you wanted a fast blue screen without blatant damage.

i appreciate it, but i also said without being obvious

Well, I guess it's fine then. Thanks.

I have an audiophile question

I'm looking for a new audio setup for my battlestation.

I have a XLR condenser Mic, but I want to add new monitor speakers and headphones.

Would an audio interface be what I'm looking for, or is there a different device I can be looking at as recording isn't a dire need.

The only functionally that I'm looking for is a way to easily swap between speakers and to headphones

>2017
>implying you need IRC so much that you want it on your mobile device

How do I paste without formatting in Android? It seems to want to paste in RTF, even if RTF isn't actually supported in the app I'm pasting in.

Been confused lately about how AMD lists their drivers like this, is the top one an incremental update that requires I install the lower one first? Or can I just update straight to the newest one on top? Why is it so much smaller?

The top one contains everything, driver plus that AMD driver settings thing, Relive, Wattman etc..

I don't know exactly why "Radeon Software" is listed twice (old version?).

Minimal setup probably contains just the display driver and nothing else.

So either nr. 1 or 3.

Why is display port so fucking shit?

who is

>she

so i dont have any writing permissions on my partitions if i boot into linux after shutting down windows
this doesnt happen if i restart from windows
any solutions to this fuckery?

re-mount it with read and write permissions

I want an iphone but im to poor so what other options out there iphone like phones?

but why does it happen
I would like to avoid it completely

There are no good free server providers. But you can find some good deals in the sub 5usd/eur range. What country?

user problem

7.1 surround sound headphones, gimmick or any good?

Do they still do the 99 cent mousepads?

Is this kill?
What are some Linux programs that are able to do surface read tests?

irccloud

Those have to be fake

I already got mine so no fucks given.

WTF is a private tracker?

You could import it into GIMP, add the text, then export it as a PDF.

>best camera
>nothing too expensive
Pick one

Free servers are a joke. But both Linode and DigitalOcean have very good $5/month offerings with datacenters around the world. Linode is a little better at 1 GB RAM, 1 CPU, 20 GB Storage, 1 TB Transfer/month. DigitalOcean is the same except 512MB RAM which would still be enough for your purposes.

No way that I know of.

It's not.

Really dumb question here, but say I want to format my computer. It suggests a back up, which I started doing forever, but couldn't I just copy the only files I actually care about to an external hardrive and copy them back? Seems like a no brainer to me, but Im bad with tech so maybe there is a reason for backing up I am not aware of.

Yes

The one on top(17.5.1) is the newest driver.

The one in the middle is the older driver(17.4.4).

And the one on the bottom is a web-based installer that will download the newest drivers from their servers when you execute it.

Just use the newest one listed on the top.

What is the best file duplicate searcher for windows 7?

How much do Nvidia drivers on Linux suck?
I want to choose open source drivers for stability, but will proprietary ones have that much more performance?

They dont
nouveau is dog shit

How are AMD drivers? Both proprietary and free.

I'm the time traveler to be again, my time is running out I have just a few days left. How do I go about learning to program a computer in the 90s? I'm a tech newbie, for people like me today there are websites and videos on YouTube nowdays but I'm going to the 90s, so what do I do? How does one learn programming back then? Please tell me step by step if possible.

Both are shit
nvidia is really the only choise

You could do the SMART long test which tests the entire thing instead of the short test. Not sure if that is available from the UI, might have to use the command line.

I've had good luck with the badblocks command which does a read/write test of all blocks on the device. Read some docs though because it has a destructive and non-destructive mode: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/badblocks#read-write_Test_.28non-destructive.29

It's not free, and it runs off of FreeDOS, but I highly recommend SpinRite. It's works some miracles on drives from me before.

That said, if your drive is dying, it's dying and no command will save you.

Cool, thanks.

That's what I do. Many people are too stupid to know what is important or where it is stored.

Never had any issues. The only thing is if you are using UEFI/Secure Boot, you have to turn on OtherOS mode because the binary blobs aren't signed so the kernel won't load them

It a bittorrent tracker. The tracker is what keeps tabs on peers(users) for a torrent. Public trackers sometimes suck ass, or let in copywrite holders that will log everyones IP and send out notices to your ISP. Private trackers are members only.

DHT has fixed a lot of the old issues with unreliable trackers, but the copywrite trolls are still lurking.

I don't use private trackers, I just use a VPN. It seems only hollywood stuff will get you a takedown notice, and only if you seed it for a while or spend a entire day downloading it. If your quick you might get out clear. Depending on where you live your ISP might not care. It doesn't seem like anime copywrites are enforced at all. Especially when no one in the US even owns the writes to it yet(no dubs out yet).

Would like to learn about bluray burning and scanning, but haven't used optical media for well over a decade.

Where can I learn about it in detail?

What is this "physical media" of which you speak?

Isn't it customary to just disable Secure Boot?

Please help me Sup Forums.
How did the people who today are the top brass of IT companies learn programming in the 90s?
How did one get Linux back then? We're they easy enough to obtain that a moron with enough money could buy it?

Is it worth buying a MLC SSD over a TLC SSD if I want to use it for the OS? Don't give a shit about gaming.

easiest & cheapest way to get windows 7 without pirating? will win7 ever be free (no cost) to use?

Googled for OtherOS, is this a PS3 thing?
Just found out windows 10 doesn't let you turn off secure boot, what the fuck.

Hey Sup Forums please please help me.
Can you explain me how exactly could one learn programming in the 90s?

How the hell do I know what drivers to download? This is the first time I've built a PC and when I go to the website to update my mobo's drivers I get a big list of various drivers. Should I just download them all?

No, technically operating systems from 20 years ago are still not gratis even though they are easily obtainable online and microsoft doesn't care about sites illegaly hosting ISOs

What browser should I use instead of firefox on Ubuntu? Is firefox considered still good now days?

Can I intentionally corrupt a file just to test muh ZFS to see if it's picked up in the next scrub?

I'm having this weird problem with VirtualBox VMs.

I install crunchbang and update it so I can install the guest addons, but after a restart of the VM, the cursor freezes and I cannot type to login.

Though, root rescue is possible but can't get into GUI mode.

What should I do? I enabled 3D acceleration but nothing happened.

Note that I installed VirtualBox through the .run file because the one in the package manager is old as fuck.

Yes, however that index will only be used if you reference both of the columns in the same query. If you had another query that looks at only one of those columns, that index would not be used.

Is there a way to block internet access for certain apps like Candy Crush so my family members coming over would not play that shit in my house on their phones?

It would be easier to not to give them access at all but I can't do that.

Dont use an antiquated os

This depends. If you want to use and compile a version of linux that you have read the source code for, then maybe. Even then, unless you live in an opaque faraday cage, someone might be able to see what you're doing.

Well it happens on other OSs too for some reason. Should I just install xubuntu and try it on that?

Not without deep pack inspection.
Just dont let them on your network

post model

Alright, thanks user!

linux/unix md5sum question. I have a file, I copy it to a new directory and suddenly the md5sum is different.

Why? Does md5 take into account meta data of the file? (atime etc)

Can you install linux on a droid 4 phone?

>have gentoo and a few other distros on my ssd >have a 1tb HDD with a 750gb partition for storage
I plan on using the remaining 250gb to install windows. Could it still overwrite the ssds bootloader this way?

Look at what you have and compare names.
>Should I just download them all?
Absolutely not.

Download drivers for whatever isn't working, common culprits are ethernet, usb, audio, motherboard wifi. If everything's working for you you don'r ereally need to download any drivers, don't install what you don't need.

Didn't find a Stupid Corporations Thread so I'll post here.

Did anyone find a solution to this cancer that changes the position of the google search tab buttons?

if the linux distros are on the SSD and you want to put windows on the HDD, then no it will not delete your bootloader. It will install MBR onto the HDD. When you boot, you will need to choose the second hard drive as the boot device.

That's what I thought. Thank god.

It changes based on what you type in.you are looking for a gfx card so shopping moves closer.
This is working as intended and there is nothing you can do to change it

I got offered an iphone 6 16 gb silve with glass screen protector and a black protector without charger and earphones for 250 dlls the phone looks pretty clean but she says theres something on the screen that cant be noticed with phone pictures so i have to check that out in person

if that detail happens to be something super minor that i dont care is a good deal? i can buy a generic charger for like 2-4 dlls so thats not a big deal

or should i just save 500 dlls for a brand new iphone 6 32gb silver in the apple store? im kind bored of waiting and saving money (and i expect one more month of savings until i reach the 500 dlls)

It's working as THEY intended, not from a user perspective.
When I search something the layout should stay the same so I know where to click.
What's next? They start moving around right as I start hovering above them so I can't click on them?

Is there no grease script to FIX this broken non-userfriendly interface?

buy a cheap flip phone