/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxbrujo.net/posts/plausible-deniability-with-luks/
bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=gnomekiss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Arch.

Second for Arch.

Any noob-friendly free software to combine images? All I want to do is combine a few either horizontally or vertically, no editing needed.

imagemagick

convert in1.png in2.png -background none -append out.png

(or +append)

the GIMP

Linux is so comfy. How comfy do the rest of you feel while sitting at your desktop or laptop running your customized distro?

Is Debian good for Desktop?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

yes

Thoughts on Canonical IPO?

>lets try linux and make an IPTV server
>choose ubuntu since it seems newbie friendly
>everything goes smooth and installs fine apart from a tuner card that requires drivers
>try installing proprietary drivers, doesn't work
>try installing open source drivers, doesn't work and breaks the other, already working tuner card
>have to clean install again
>try again and it still doesn't work
>device is working and appears in device list
>tutorial didn't mention to install/update linux-headers-generic and build-essentials before compiling
>recompile drivers and install again, works
>device drivers loaded and now registering
>computer no longer restart or shutdown and hangs at 'systemd-shutdown[1]: All DM devices detached'

I want to like Linux but this device driver bullshit is something else.

what are my options to directly edit files inside Apache's local server directory (var/www/html)? either run the editor as root or give the project directory appropriate permissions? every single time i try to look up how to get around permissions and shit all i find is people going "THERES A REASON YOU CANT DO IT SO DONT DO IT ITS BAD SECURITY". reeeeal helpful

He did say customised distro. So for all we know, he could be running a GNU-less Linux distro.

no

What are some cool terminal commands?

xclip
tmux
git

>xclip
why not xsel? which one is better?

uname --kernel-name
uname --operating-system

I don't know. It looks the same according to man pages.

create http group and add your user to it

i'll look into this group thing, thanks

Is it possible to compile the gentoo base system and all of its software for another computer, like for example if you want to put it on an old computer but don't want to use the old computer to compile because it's so old?

I know about distcc, but what if networking two computers is not an option? Am I out of luck?

I found an old machine (~10 years) just lying around. What distro should I put on it?

What are some Linux programs that let me do a surface read test to a HDD?

puppy
lfs

Think about what you're trying to do for a moment then just install Debian or something.

install gentoo

Trisquel.

>debian
>not glorious arch
lmao noob, I bet you're on of these gui fags

Can anyone recommend a decent, lightweight method of handling Office documents? I do all my writing in TeX but I often receive PDFs and Docx/PPT files etc. Is their a viewer available that can render these files without having any editing capabilities?

Is there any other DE indipendent wallpaper setter like feh that works with compositors?

What's the point of a file manager when you can do everything via command line?

I can pick 20 files instantly and not have to type out 20 different filenames.
I can use icon mode to see media

none, unless you're sorting crappy named pictures

learn2cli retard

Why would i handicap my self to the keyboard only?

Doesn't one terminal file manager have image

Yep, Terminology.
Why would you waste time using a FM when you can do shit 1000k more efficient via CLI?

>type out 20 different filenames
TAB, faggot
regex, faggot
wildcards, faggot

>1000k
You cant.I can pick 20 files quicker then you can type them out.I can preview media without having to open each individual file to see what is in it

You still have to put more effort in to it then i do just clicking the files and moving on with my life.Do you create a script everything you need to interact with more then 2 files?

The one I was thinking of was ranger.

cmatrix

Look Linux can do it too!

Thumbnails and drag n' drop

Pardon me for one moment. What you are calling Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have nicknamed it, GNU plus Linux. Linux isn't an operating system by itself, but it is just another part of the GNU system, which has been extended in functionality via various GNU components (including GNU's shell utilities and corelibs) which only then fit the definition of a complete operating system as outlined by POSIX.

There are many people today who are running the GNU operating system without even being aware of it. Through a strange turn of events, a misnomer has emerged where people refer to a widely used version of the GNU system as "Linux", unaware that the proper name for the system they run is the GNU operating system.

Now while they are in fact using Linux, it is only one component of the system that they run. Linux is used as the kernel: the part of an operating system which distributes a machine's resources to other programs which request them. While this functionality is essential for the successful functioning of a system, it cannot function on its own, it needs an operating system within which it can carry out its functions. Linux is commonly paired with the GNU operating system: the entirety of the system is GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every single "Linux Distribution" is actually a distribution of GNU/Linux.

Hello, I'm kinda of new to Docker but I think I've already got the basic idea, I'm used only pre-built images with docker until now.

Let's say I want to run a python script on a docker container, can I just create the container, bash into it and run it?

Can you guys pinpoint the way I must take to do such feat? The python script has a couple of dependencies like ffmpeg libopus-dev and more. This poses any more configuration required?

No need to "baby hand" me all the way through, just the absolute necessary main steps and I can figure it out the intricacies.

How do I unfuck my Unity theme on Ubuntu? I installed the Arc theme with Unity Tweak Tools on Ubuntu 16. It was fine for a while, but one day this shit started appearing. It goes away for a while after a restart, but eventually it comes back. What the hell is this and how can I fix it without installing Gentoo?

>install gentoo
But seriously use a better desktop environment

You know, if you're just about spouting bull, you could aswell not post.

Dos the problem persist after removing the arc theme?
Did you install it manually of from a repo?
Did you remember to remove the compiz/unity theme?
If installed manually did you remove the deps you had to install?

I'm assuming it's 16.04 right?
The ubuntu LTS may change version numbers, api and abis during life cycle, it's probably a bug in the theme.

Did you try to post this in the desktop thread and pretend it was the desired effect?

I don't think it's the theme itself. Even if I change to a different theme or revert to defaults the problem persists.

Yes. Pic related is stable, didn't need anything from outside of the repos.

The theme probably installed some theme engine that is malfunctioning. Try removing the theme and it's dependencies.

Is there Linux cryptography software that supports hidden volumes like GELI? Apparently LUKS won't do it.

>I use Arch Linux
>not My car is powered by Arch Linux
>and seatbelts are for n00bs

VeraCrypt or

blog.linuxbrujo.net/posts/plausible-deniability-with-luks/

I need a decent music player

deadbeef is too simple and shit like clementine/amarok/etc are way too clunky and badly designed

not interested in CLI stuff

any suggestions?

Hmm, after reading that explanation from the LUKS developer, I'm not so confident. Let's say I have a fully encrypted disk containing a visible encrypted volume and a hidden encrypted volume. How likely is it that the hidden volume could be identified? Does it make any difference whether this is on an SSD or HDD?

banshee

Debian 9 when?

>How likely is it that the hidden volume could be identified?
Data encrypted with modern cyphers is indistinguishable from random noise.

>SSD or HDD
No.

When it's ready.

Most likely 1-3 months. You can track the status here, they try to fix as many RC bugs as possible concerning the next release.
bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

gimp crashes differently depending on what GTK theme I'm using

help

How is Ryzen for IOMMU?

Plan to jump to Linux and only use a VM for some games which aren't ported yet

Why does opera not support embedded mp4's on Linux?

IDK but phoronix and the forum aggregates a lot of news about that kind of thing.

Not exactly related, but does anyone know if Atom has the Intel ME botnet on it?

What should I pick between Debian, openSUSE and Fedora for an EliteBook 8470p. 16GB RAM, 512GB 850 PRO, i7 3540M & Radeon 7570M.

Also, can I dualboot between BotNet 10 and Linux but keep the SSD HW encrypted?

background?

hello i'm still learning linux and i'm wondering if i could put something in the body of the email in the starting command.

my example command is :

mailx -s YourSortedList -a ~/project/YourSortedList [email protected]

how would i do this ?

Who shutsdown a linux box?

Someone who's testing and installing, retard?

NEVERMIND I PIPED THIS BITCH

cat ~/project/YourSortedList | mailx -s YourSortedList XXXX@XXXX@XXX

>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Dancing, is in fact, GNU/Dancing, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Dancing. Dancing is not a form of entertainment unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full form of entertainment as defined by POSIX.

youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0

Thanks

>systemd
Found your problem. Install Gentoo.

everytime a gui pop up shows up (like posting an image, for example) I notice a black screen and never found a solution for this

compton kinda helps but it doesn't remove the problem/not smooth enough

any tips?

Somehow botched my arch install. Got to the restart part of the guide and on turning on my laptop displays
>error: file '/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found
>entering rescue mode...
Stuff I did related to bootloader:
>Pacman -S grub
>Pacman -S intel-ucode
>Grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Then I exited, restarted, pulled out my install usb, and waited for my PC to boot back up
Boot mode is set to uefi and secure boot is turned off
Any help is much appreciated

Should I just give in to the systemd?

put the hard drive of the soon to be gentoo computer in the computer you want to compile it on, compile it, and then throw it back in your gentoo box?

you forgot to install grub

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub

Puppy linux
Mint XFCE if its a mid range pc from 10 years ago (~2 BG ram)

>KDE a shit
>He's suprised
Arch with i3 (or gnome if you're less experienced) is the only way to go

this is for uefi boot

Slackware

Antergos or Manjaro?
I like Arch, but getting everything setup is kind of a pain

>not xfce

Arch with xfce
Or Xubuntu

>have to be connected to internet to install Manjaro
>both LAN and wireless don't work under the live environment

I see, thank you. How do I get back into the arch terminal? Looking online on how to do so through rescue grub I'm just led back to the same error whenever I try to use insmod.
Also, I didnt make a new uefi partition - I just used what was there from my time on other distros. Is that an issue?

Can someone explain to me the whole hostname/domain thing? Right now i'm setting up a homeserver (samba share, nextcloud, minecraft server) and i'd like to expose it to the internet. right now i just configured my router with dynamic dns to point at the server, but i will get a static ip+proper domain soon. can someone help me figure the whole thing out?

Should I use wayland or xorg, b/c gnome is fucking nice

Nevermind I'm retarded, just using the usb I had.

>look for gnomekiss package on AUR
>no package
>no package for any kiss viewer at all
I figured a package for a 90s hentai viewer would be top priority for Arch users, but it seems not. aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=gnomekiss I'll take criticism.

If wifi-menu in the arch install works then that means that somewhere out there there is a driver for my wifi card right?

There's every driver in the livecd. Try running lspci -v and look for your wifi card and what module is used there

USB thetering is your friend

Decided to use Linux since im tired of windows, how do i make my desktop look nice?