Was Windows 10 the reason you left for Linux?

Was Windows 10 the reason you left for Linux?

Yes, but i am going to need it for school because the Finnish school system is complete trash.

Yes.

>forced updates
>botnet
>bloated

Might have to go.back for.my networking class tho

Yup

>Kiss your password goodbye

I would have thought a RAT got through and I would have formatted that sucker on the spot. What was Microsoft thinking?

Pretty much. I've never felt less in control of my pc. Still dual boot for games and if I need to use a certain program.

Ayy, that image can not be real. I refuse to believe there's so much stupidity into one single OS.

Essentially, yeah. Installed Ubuntu a while back on top of Windows 7, not looking back one bit.

Had Xubuntu for a long time on my laptop before this and had dual booted on my desktop before, but this was the last straw.

Well i had linux before windows 10.

I still have a windows partition but i don't use it at all

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I use neither 10 nor Linux and also I'm not gay. What's my secret you ask...

I swear it's like Windows feels pressure to ruin their OS every time they make it better.

>implement bash on Windows
>oh fuck that's TOO GOOD, better make the OS an autoupdating, candycrush installin', piece of shit

>lmao, better open my text file of lame copy pasta and post it itt

>kiss your password goodbye
Like I ever needed one on Windows.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another locked down component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the government.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA.

There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” versions are really versions of NSA/Windows

No, but only because I switched to linux before windows 10 came out.

God I'm trying to leave windows but I keep getting pulled back for software compatibility, music bee, and gay men. I could probably deal with the first and the third, but I just don't enjoy any of the software Linux has to offer for music playback. Which is a shame because I like MPD but it's just so frustrating.

I can't stand the cutesy unprofessional tone Windows takes nowadays. It's not a Fisher Price toy, I don't need it to condescend to me.

no, i switched before windows 8 came out
good timing on my part, imo

we can call it the nail in the coffin but this train has been coming for a long time personally

Dude just use clementine

I'm still on Windows 10™. Linux on the desktop is a fucking sick nightmare experience.

yes.

I am only a Windows user because I never had enough money to buy the Mac I wanted to enjoy glorious computing promised land of macOS. I have a couple of very nice ThinkPads and while I love the hardware, Lenovo have been fucking up and not doing what they could.

Imagine if Lenovo made a custom Linux distro to run on their laptops. Apple would finally have some real professional competition.

no you dont

Honestly yes. The only times I used Linux before were purely for school work and testing out various distros. The last straw was probably when Windows update managed to simultaneously break grub and the Windows GPU drivers. Now Linux is my daily driver and I just use Windows occasionally for muh games.

I'm not big on the UI for clementine. I think it's kind of ugly (although certainly better than a lot of things), but I like to browse my library by an album cover grid (or artist grid)

I like Cantata, it's certainly my favorite MPD frontend. But Musicbee just tickles my fancy much better than the others

GNU/Linux*

fucking computer illiterates

Ads in 8.1 pro did it for me

I use to bother with dual booting, but after a forced update broke the boot record, I decided to completely abandon ship and never look back, been smooth sailing since

No. Linux was the reason i switched to Linux

Yes and I have no regrets since I find Linux to be so much better. So personally... I'm kinda glad Microsoft fucked up so much or else I'd never have switched to Linux.

Tell me about it. I can hopefully uninstall Windows after my C#/WinForms course though.

GNU/Linux*

Why would you need it for school? What program runs on Windows that doesn't on Linux that you'll need?

Windows 10 trashed my bios nand

I left Linux for Windows 10

Windows 8 was, actually.

kys

No. I blew my hackintosh by altering around with system files too much and didn't want to deal with the retarded hackintosh reinstall process, so I thought I give Linux a chance once again. That was back in 2012 or so.
I don't use Windows since 2006 or so.

Yes and the pectrum of problems shifted from privacy and usability to my tech illiteracy.
inb4 normie gtfo

no it was 8

i moved back in windows 8.
installed it, after 3 days i went for ubuntu and never went back.

literally everything.

Ugh

better?

I completely left before 8 was even released.

I still use Windows for my gaming rig but as for all my other devices including my laptop I use exclusively Linux. I have been using Linux now for 10 years.

i just still use windows 7

begging for attention, and yet u have a point

I left Windows for macOS on a Hackintosh because you still need to use CLI shit to do some things on Linux and then they may or may not work.

I'll give Linux another try when that stops being a thing but i doubt it'll ever happen.

GNU/Linux

Linux*

fucking computer illiterates

lunix

No.

I started using debian around '05. Most of the time I dual booted with windows xp or 7. I moved to Devuan after the systemd debacle.

I SAW THAT PICTURE ON REDDIT AS WELL!

If I could do passthrough with ryzen I would switch to Linux

Eh, sort of. I just felt like trying out Linux, and since dual booting was an option, I said "why not?" After trying it, I just stuck with it. Only thing I'm really missing out on is the random tool and games. Not that big a deal.

Yeah actually. I've been thinking of switching for a while, but 7 was comfy.

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

GNU/Linux*

Linux is a kernel, used in the GNU system.

Use DeaDBeeF

No, although I did leave for Linux around the same time that 10 came out, but it just happened to work out that way.

Got introduced to Ubuntu in my first year of university, tried it as a dual-boot and I liked it so much that I made the switch completely. But after a dist-upgrade left me with a broken system (I know, should have just done a clean install), I decided to try something else.

I distro-hopped for a few months before finally landing on Arch, and it just stuck with me. Particularly pacman and yaourt. No more hunting for PPEs, just "yaourt programName" and 9 times out of 10 it will find the program in the AUR and do everything for me so I don't have to mess with it. Literally just works and I couldn't be happier, been using it for 2 years now.

Recently put Windows 10 in a virutalbox for Visual Studio. It's really not bad, but I just have no need for it as a daily operating system now. I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Visual Studio, WinForms, .NET, Unity

Sure Mono and MonoDevelop run on Linux but they're just so ineffective compared to their Windows counterparts.

everyone on Sup Forums knows this. it's just easier to say and type linux.

Nope, I'm employed.

Yeah, I needed Visual Studio for my C# class. I was glad when that class was over. Windows development just isn't something I enjoy.

It's the reason why I stayed with linux. I installed Linux because a class I took required we compile our programs with g++. My computer ran significantly faster, quieter, and never recommended me software or forced me to do anything, so stuck with it.

I will probably switch when Linux supports my software.

the CLI is an essential tool for developers. It's like a window into your operating system. "user-friendly" GUIs just obfuscate and add unnecessary layers of complexity for certain things. If you did any kind of development, you would realize why even Windows developers have Ubuntu in a virtual machine or use the Bash subsystem (that kind of works but isn't quite there yet)

I thought packet tracer ran on Linux

They didn't think any of it through

>I TRY TO GET A GUI BUT THE BLACK BOX MESS ME AHHH
fucking Sup Forumstard computer illiterates. uncultured swine that can't appreciate the powerful simplicity of the terminal.

Using the bluescreen with a carat nose

>I USE APPS BY PROGRAMMERS TOO LAZY TO EVEN LEARN GTK OR QT AND THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN OTHERS!

You are the reason people don't use linux, and don't take FOSS seriously

Not being able to greentext

speak for yourself, only stallman drones thinks it is called GNU

that is just a name some linux distributions choose to add to their distribution name

Yes

congrats

TOP LAL

>gets laptop good enough for the software i needed in school
>stuck using windows because almost all the teachers gets confused with anything not-windows (except one who has a dedicated pc on his home with Ubuntu)
>finally leaves school and decides to try Ubuntu on the laptop
>freezes randomly and cpu fan starts working like a jet turbine
>tries other distros, like manjaro, fedora, etc
>they all do the same
>do the bumblebee shit
>still the same

T-thanks Linux

>not using windows 8.1
top kek
>pic unreleated or maybe a little bit releated

The funny thing is, there are some bsod that shows a QR code. When scanned, it sends you to a help page that does absolutely nothing to your problem other than the typical "restarting your pc might solve the problem". More useless than the Help program that was included in previous Windows versions

I don't want to make a new thread for this, but I was just checking my throwaway hotmail.com email, and what do I see on the very top of the screen? "Your recent search history" containing such gems as "amateur anal" and "teen ass mouth". This is from my bing searches, of course, which I only used a couple times to see what all the fuss was about. Somehow this is connected and saved to my hotmail account, even though I don't recall ever being logged in when I made these searches. My little brother uses this email sometimes as a throwaway too. Who knows if he ever noticed them at the top of the screen. I don't know why Microsoft keeps adding these features that nobody fucking wants.

It was Windows ME OP

I used debian way before but W10 made me really consider to use debian as main-OS. The day my pc breaks and W7 doesn't have all the drivers on a new pc is the moment I fully switch.

>Finnish school system
>complete trash

As an American I am jealous of the Finnish school system.

no. windows 8 was

>downloaded win 10 ages ago (about January 2016)
>like the new default theme and some UI changes
>everything else is shit
>updates and metro and everything is total absolute fucking shit
>fucking updates without asking and shuts the fuck down and shits the bed all the time
>disabled automatic updates with 9000+ 3rd party apps and reghacks and shit
>haven't updated since then
>sitting on a win 10 build that is over a year old
>main reasons why I don't switch to Win8.1 are laziness and DX12
>with each passing day the urge to switch grows
>probably gonna install Win7, Win8.1, and Debian soon, and delete this W10 piece of shit

Windows 10 made me go to Linux.

Then Linux made me go back to Windows.

Rinse and repeat. Thank god for clonezilla.

no games

>Kiss your password goodbye
>: )

Is this what kids these days like? Being treated like infantile retards?

On my desktop I use Win10, but I'm going to have to migrate back to Linux as I keep getting a message my license is due to expire. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Slackware is what I use on my netbook, and will try Slackware ARM when I get my next Pi's.

It's the reason I stopped using Microsoft products at all with the exception of XP in a VM for one game that won't work in PlayOnLinux/Steam.

Mac OS X is not as good as advertised. The UI is consistent and looks nice but is a bitch to use. Nothing does what you expect it to do. The window controls do weird shit and you have to use the modifier key to make it behave normally. Even scrolling is backwards. If you get a Mac, expect to waste 5-6 hours tweaking every little thing just to make it usable.

And Lenovo doesn't need a custom distro. They just need to give people and option to buy laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled. It would cost them nothing and Ubuntu is compatible with a majority of GNU/Linux software.

How? Did you something retarded like run a BIOS update utility from within the OS and cancel it half way through? Also, that's not NAND.

Ahaha, AMD has no driver. I get it.

Some people are so incredibly stupid and autistic that they can't even remember a few different passwords in their heads. They're the kind of people who use Microsoft products, password managers, or even unencrypted text files on the desktop.

Yes, Windows 8 was already bad so I was hoping 10 would redeem for the inexcusable stunt the had pulled

I was glad when my fist C# class was over as well...

...just to find out there are four other C# classes waiting for me.

80% of the programming in my university is C#.

I'm still on Win 7, but I don't intend to move to Win 10. If my PC dies, I'll have to pirate Win 7 and hope I can activate it on a new PC. But that's just for the vidya/emulators I have.

For a daily driver I'll definitely switch to Linux, probably Mint or some such. Maybe dual-boot with GoboLinux since I like to play around with it. And that won't have to be a monster machine like a gaming rig would.

I'm using Windows 10. It's fine just as long as you use powershell to uninstall all the windows apps, disable all the privacy settings, kill cortana, edit the hosts file, and disable every other shitty setting. I haven't run into any glitches or problems, so I don't know what everyone's complaining about.