/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Huawei nova 2 to be announced on May 26
gsmarena.com/huawei_nova_2_to_be_announced_on_may_26-news-24954.php

Xiaomi enters Mexico with Redmi 4X and Redmi Note 4
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_enters_mexico_with_redmi_4x_and_redmi_note_4-news-24949.php

Coolpad Cool Play 6 Official- Gaming Phone, 6GB RAM, Large Battery & More
gizmochina.com/2017/05/10/coolpad-cool-play-6-official-gaming-phone-6gb-ram-large-battery/

Just in: Huawei P10 Lite hands-on
gsmarena.com/just_in_huawei_p10_lite_handson-news-24935.php

Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 660 and Snapdragon 630 SoCs
gsmarena.com/qualcomm_announces_snapdragon_660_and_snapdragon_630_socs-news-24923.php

Waze now lets users record directions in their own voice
gsmarena.com/waze_now_lets_you_record_your_own_voice_directions-news-24924.php

OnePlus 5 leaked sketches reveal dual front-facing cameras, ceramic back plate
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_leaked_sketches_reveal_dual_frontfacing_cameras_ceramic_back_plate-news-24921.php

The 5,000mAh ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom is available now for $329
androidpolice.com/2017/05/09/5000mah-asus-zenfone-3-zoom-available-now-329/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_priv-review-1350.php
notebookcheck.net/BlackBerry-Priv-Smartphone-Review.172051.0.html
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-letv-max-2-4gb-64gb
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-nubia-z17-mini
aliexpress.com/item/SE/32795523498.html
youtube.com/watch?v=C8-ohgpNr6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>when you fell for the new normal big phone meme

shoulda finna bought a Sony Compact

Posting again: Is there anything better than the 3T for under 450 euros?

Is it possible to unlock xiaomi phones bootloaders without the process xiaomi uses (needs you to enter your phone number and wait two weeks). I have a xiaomi mi max.

I've ordered the Lenovo 2p. Am I going to reget it?

RN3P can be unlocked unofficially, don't know about the other Xiaomi phones

No

Is it still worth getting a Mi5 if I want an SD820 or similar?

Need purchase advice, just moved to Sweden for work. I get a free contract plus phone, want something that looks nice and works well. Don't give a shit about games or carrier.

Haven't installed Nougat yet to be honest, maybe that will solve some of the problems. It is possible that reviewers don't know how to test GPS and I just got a bad unit, but the detailed review site I go to seems to also complain about performance inside buildings.

Overall it is still a good phone, and honestly I do not drive much (17,000km a year) so 80% of the time the GPS is fine.

Anyone got a review on this phone? I really want a good smartphone with a physical keyboard.

It's also on sale (at least in Germany), 342€ instead of 549€. Price/performance ok?

Forgot pic

I have a Blackberry Priv, which is actually about the same width as the P2. I thought it was stupidly huge at first but I got used to it, really not that bad in most situations. One handed use is tricky though.

>something that looks nice and works well
>free contract plus phone

iPhone of your choice?

it's probably cheaper if you get some anti-autism pills and buy a normal phone.

It's not a good phone. Overheats a lot, no more updates, terrible Blackberry software.

Unfortunately, there's not many physical keyboard smartphones. Other than this, you have the new KeyOne, the physical clip-in keyboard for the Samsung S7 and S8, and the older Blackberries (BB10 phones can run Android apps, although badly)

Hey, here. Check out these reviews:

m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_priv-review-1350.php

notebookcheck.net/BlackBerry-Priv-Smartphone-Review.172051.0.html (more recent, after Blackberry fixed most of the bugs)

Overall I have had a pretty positive experience. Stock Android is nice, the phone is pretty quick in everyday tasks, build quality is good and the keyboard is a nifty feature to have. Battery lasts an entire day even with lots of SOT, I have gotten it to go 2 days with 10% remaining on light use. It does get a bit warm under load though, and sometimes the camera just takes inexplicably bad shots for no reason. But for that price it is a .lot of phone for the money.

Galaxy S8 here, great phone, stellar build quality and design. It will take some getting used to because of the meme bezels, but otherwise, nothing to complain.

My favourite phone before it broke was the OPO, so I don't mind the big screen at all.

>not that bad in most situations
Could you give some examples of situations where it was bad?

Well darn it, are you a heavy user? I'd be mostly using it for music, web surfing, texting, calling and the occasional Netflix (rare). Won't install bloats like SC, FB and IG. Won't even use the camera that much so I don't mind that.

Would the phone still perform poorly under these conditions?

Is it easy to drop it?

>no more updates

This is an outright fabrication. Running the April security patch and May is already in the works. In fact, it has been consistently updated every single month since I bought it in December 2015.

>terrible Blackberry software

So stock Android or minor Blackberry apps that can be turned off?

Check your facts matey.

It's really only unwieldly in one-handed typing. Otherwise it's perfectly fine and comfortable to use.

>notebookcheck.net/BlackBerry-Priv-Smartphone-Review.172051.0.html

That sounds really good (esp. the part about battery), as stated here I don't mind the camera and the phone certainly won't be under heavy load.

Also I'll probably leave it at stock android, but I would like to root the phone just to have adblock and remove bloat. Is that not recommendable with this phone?

Anyway, thanks user! Will read the reviews now.

Yeah, I don't mind big phones at all and barely use my phones one handed.

only if you're a klutz, just like any other phone

best surprise feature so far has been the bundled USB adaptor that works with a DualShock PS4 controller, which means I can play Vice City on my phone without wanting to smash the phone to bits

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-letv-max-2-4gb-64gb

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-nubia-z17-mini

Anything majorly wrong with either of these two?

>Also I'll probably leave it at stock android, but I would like to root the phone just to have adblock and remove bloat

Not only is it not recommended, it isn't possible. Blackberry locked the bootloader for security reasons. Can't say much about the ads but to be honest there is basically zero bloat.

On the topic of heat, it does heat up under heavy load, nothing catastrophic though. Certainly not Snapdragon 810 housefire levels. I can watch Chinese cartoons for hours and it barely heats up at all.

I should add, my old Samsung Galaxy S3 used to get wayyyy warmer than my BlackBerry Priv ever did. Fucking burned my face after long phone calls and the battery got stupid hot. The Priv runs cool as a cucumber in comparison.

Oh well, since I won't be gaming much any more and I actually buy most apps I use I won't have to worry about ads as much then. Not having to worry about my face burning off is a plus, I suppose.

How are the headphones. I hear they are AKG branded?

Look up DNS66, it's a pretty good adblock that doesn't require root

Btw, do you use a case with your Priv? Any recommondations in that regard? Don't need any extra features like credit card slots or a stand and won't mind paying more for higher quality.

What's a good new phone in the US for $150 or below?

Thanks, mate. Will do.

Is there any substantial evidence of an Iphone SE replacement on the horizon? Or any other top-end phones with

>> RNP3 arrives in October
>> Random reboots
>> Dispute opened, phone has local warranty
>> Wait until January coping with the reboots hoping MIUI updates fix them
>> Don't install Lineage in case I wanted to claim warranty

Fed up. Claimed warranty. Have to send to a local address and if they agree, I'll get a refund in Aliexpress voucher

What phone should I get with the voucher? RNP3 was almost perfect except for the reboots, could live with a better camera or smaller screen, 5 instead of 5,5

Western Yuropoor, needs more than 16GB ROM, good batery, waranteed official updates

So I just wrecked my Iphone 5's screen today and its about time I got a new phone.
I am really not phone-savvy and need some help deciding which phone to pick.
After brief research i came up with these:

HTC 10
Samsung
any new Iphone, dunno which one

based in Germany, carrier will be Telekom.
I want a robust, responsive phone with good basic functionality. Camera doesnt matter too much. I use my phone for music and calendar purposes mostly.
What bothered me about the iphone a little is that your are not very accessible and that the battery was kinda shitty.

I would say just to pick up a leather case. I personally don't use one with my phone because I find it too bulky and I've never dropped or mistreated it. All the cases I've seen have been either really good quality but expensive (order direct from BlackBerry) or very bad quality but cheap.

I did fall flat on my ass while the Priv was in my back pocket once, catching the corner of a stair. Just made a little cracked in the plastic and the screen didn't even break. I'd say the phone is pretty sturdy on its own.

leeco: no nfc, no sd card, no audio jack and camera bump
Don't know anything about the other phone but why are you picking between a 5.2'' and a 5.7'' screen?

Why wouldn't i buy a g4 play? G5 is ugly as fuck and i just want to go down to the shop and buy something cheap (130 euros)that werks....

I really don't care about screen size, just want a good phone for ~$250. And holy fuck, I overlooked the audio jack thing. Quick google search tells me that there are no super compact 3,5mm Audio to USB-C adapters with no cable. Well, fuck all that.

No NFC/SD also doesn't matter too much. Still, that's another phone down the drain. I'm really running out of options here. Why do all these phones have such dumb drawbacks :|

>I use my phone for music and calendar purposes mostly
Even a 100€ phone will do that just fine

ZUK Z2 Pro

>iPhone SE 64GB
>$345
aliexpress.com/item/SE/32795523498.html
Should I trust? It's seems to be used (not refurb).
I guess my only concern would be battery, but I kind of doubt it had over 200 cycles. Comes with fake USB / charger but I really don't care as chink MFI are cheap.
Between this ^ or local new 5S (16GB).

I just don't bother with Android (was kinda into Mi 5, but everyone just says >fault gps). Prefer 4.7"-5.15".
Also, I mostly use Uber/happn/PoGo and some browser stuff.

>Samsung
Just DON'T.

yeah, probably not a bad choice. Probably gonna narrow it down to the P2, Zenfone 3, Mi5s or the Z2 Pro. trying to act like an educated customer is hard.

What's the best phone out now?

thx for the in depth recommendation friend

How is jerryrigthings some kind of a top authority on mobile device durability when most of what he does is bend and burn phones?

9/10 phones get ruined by sudden impact trauma. Resistance to falls etc is the kind of functional durability that matters.

I have never had a phone get damaged by literal fire or because a gorilla grab and bend it or however the fuck that is supposed to happen

Got me one of these last year, now being tempted by the G5+ though it makes no sense to upgrade this early... Talk me out of this consumerism pls

Because he actually understands how phones work. His teardowns are the interesting videos, the test videos are pretty just an "intro" to them.

As if a burn test actually matters.

Moto G4 or G4 play maybe

Well then, why wouldn't you? It's a nice inexpensive phone

just to test their resistance at extreme levels I think, by the way this "tech destruction" wave is absolutely cancerous

By the way who is still using OnePlus one in 2017 like me? What rom are you using? Planning to buy OnePlus 5 this summer but, i loved this phone

My diary desu.

Zuk Z2
Chink or Pajeet rom? Which room are you guys running?

Mokee seems pretty alright. In the few minutes I spent looking, I couldn't find an official Lineage ROM, or I'd probably be using that. The battery life with Mokee is quite good and the last version I had installed was extremely stable, although the version I updated to last week crashes almost once a day. Also, unless you make a donation to Mokee, the download will probably be slow as shit. It might be better to go with an unofficial version of Lineage, which is what I used for the first few weeks I had my Z2.

Anything new on the Note 8 or mi mix 2?

Thinking about getting a Nokia 6 as soon as it realeses in europe. Do you think 230 euros should be spent differently?

Just got the Moto G5 Plus on the advice of anons here, having a weird issue and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. My 3.5mm jack will work perfectly fine with headphones with an inline mic, but if I try to plug in something without the mic it just keeps outputting to the speaker like I haven't plugged anything in. This is fairly annoying as I usually plug up to my car stereo for music while I drive and it's just completely not working. Anyone know of a fix, or am I gonna have to send this thing in for replacement?

The P2 is cheaper and better in a lot of ways.

Is samsung J1 a good phone? I just want a small phone with a huge battery

sound quality is good, but I hate the shape because they keep falling out of my ears

Where is the P2 under 230€?

Phones similar in size to the S4?
Looking to upgrade but don't care for the larger phones

For what purpose? Wait at least another generation so you actually get a worthwhile upgrade.

3 in the UK sells it for 210 pounds which is roughly the same price.

So it's not cheaper then. Also in most of Europe the P2 is closer to 300€

>Want to get my first soon. I have been using pic related for the last 5 years because poor.
>I'm in the US, and settled on Verizon as they are confirmed to work in an area of northern Minnesota where I want to innawoods alone more often. As far as features I don't really give a shit as long as I can shitpost from it and do all the usual normie shit. Willing to spend $500 but this can go higher if the reasons are good enough.
>Durability is key for me.
>Oneplus 3t. Any other answer is cia nigger trolls.
>>oneplus 3t
>>verizon
>pick one
>Oneplus 3t doesn't work with Verizon or something?

So does the Oneplus work with Verizon or not? I like what I see there so if it won't work for me I'd like to be able to move on and find something that will.

Also open to other suggestions.

It does not

>It does not

Well shit.

Just get a Moto G5 Plus

Looking it up right now.

>Just get a Moto G5 Plus
I should be asking this. What's the life cycle of a smartphone like? How long can one be used before its hardware is too fucking obsolete to do anything?

>he bought a G6
>an inferior phone that people will mistake for an S8
Literally why? It's literally nigger tier, and you have to walk around with it for 2-3 years

>and you have to walk around with it for 2-3 years
How do you figure?

>work as a salesman for a wireless carrier
>people come in with iphone tech support questions
>have no fucking clue because I've never used an iphone in my life, been Android only since I first got a smartphone
>always have to foist them off on a coworker, feel like a huge jackass

Is this a good reason to switch to iPhone, at least for a little bit? So I can lean the ins and outs of iOS a bit better so I can actually do my job and stuff.

>Is this a good reason to switch to iPhone
no, it's not. "I'm not familiar with iOS but ________ is," where you proceed to find _________ and get their help, is the appropriate response

That's exactly what I've been doing, but it still makes me feel like an idiot.

I used to work retail myself. The onus is on you. I learned a shitload that I didn't have to because people were going to keep asking me questions anyway.

It shouldn't, you're admitting you aren't knowledgeable about one subject and helping people get a better answer

Better yet, if your boss asks you to change, you can always ask for a free/loaner iphone to train with and carry it around as a second device/leave it at home to play with

If you believe that the PRIV will ever receive Android O then I have a bridge to sell you.

t. Priv owner

Really disappointed with the fact that they KeyOne has a 625 processor desü.

What were they thinking?

It's 2 years old by now and the phone isn't even out yet.

anyone hyped for the umidigi crystal?

>2 years old by now
No it's not. SD625 was announced in February 2016 and the first phone to use it was released in June 2016 so it's been out less than a year.

What the fuck
Can someone tell me if my battery is nearly dead or this is an Android feature?

Welcome to memedroid(tm).

What does a used Z2 or Z3 cost nowadays?

On my third LG V10 now due to bootloops. Not due for an upgrade until November but considering jumping from Verizon to Sprint when the Keyone comes out. Sick of Samsung/LG bullshit, and I'm not going to buy a Chinkphone. I was almost on the verge of going iPhone for my next device, but the Blackberry might hold me back.

Yes user of course, I plan to stick with this one a couple years more actually if it still keeps up. Thanks.

A couple years at least. The 625 is a fine SOC and 3gb of RAM is bretty good too, more than 4 being a meme IMO. I'm
and it's a nice phone btw.

I honestly see no difference besides the processor. If anything it nearly feels like a downgrade because of the worse battery and smaller screen. I'm perfectly ok with the G4, though i might upgrade to G6 if it seems promising enough and carries a substantial enough increase in specs.

Does anyone here own a special edition of a smart phone?
Or owned in the past?
youtube.com/watch?v=C8-ohgpNr6M

here

So I went and did it; I turned in my phone, restarted my lease on an iPhone 7, and holy SHIT is this thing awful and I deserve everything bad that happens to me

YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH IT

All these freedoms I take for granted on Android are missing on iOS and it's fucking infuriating, and for the first time in my life I've found myself yelling at a phone. I'm going to my backup Android phone fucking stat and I'm returning this. The $50 restocking fee that I'm going to eat is going to be my lesson.

Never again.

What's better between the Zenfone 3 and the XA Ultra? Carrier is ATT

>holy SHIT is this thing awful
here
My dad has had a couple iPhones and every time I've been able to fuck around with them I really dislike them compared to the Android systems i've been able to play with.

retard question here, how do i know what version of the G6 i'd be getting?

local store here (australia) is selling the 64gb version but my service provider only has the 32gb, I figured the country would only be given one type

At least this was the learning experience I was hoping for.

I've learned that iPhones are fucking garbage.

Chilean poorfag here.
What can I do with 150 dollars?
I readed the installgentoo wiki and the Xiaomi Redmi 4 MediaTek MT6797 Helio X20 looks like the best option for me, it costs like 170 but I can save that. What other options do I have? I just want good storage/fast processing with good audio.

Hola, Argentinian poorfag here, this guy again actually Dunno about that Xiaomi but would avoid mediatek, look into Snapdragon devices. 4xx series probably. Something like the G4 play maybe. Also that wiki is far from updated.

thanks senpai. I will keep looking then.