/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gtk.org/
pastebin.com/XBiiBR8n
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267123
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/
pastebin.com/nhvh5YiF
twopointfouristan.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/pwning-past-whole-disk-encryption/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Canada.

install Source Mage

What do I do? I only set a password

Forgot pic

Your login is your username.

>4.10.13
We're at 4.11 user

pic saved

I will, somehow having that on my computer gives me wet dreams

OH NO NETFLIX KNOWS WHAT MOVIES AND TV I LIKE TO WATCH.
THE WORLD IS LITERALLY ENDING

STFU stallman,you're just to poor to afford a laptop that can process x264

I can see you...

Did you chroot?
If not boot back in to the livecd and install it

Is i3wm+Ubuntu a good combo to use as a daily driver in a laptop? I'm new to i3wm and want to use it to strengthen my command line/bash skills. Basically need something where most things work out of the box (for now). E.g. lid close, display management, network management, maybe use thunar or xfce services with i3wm initially.

>out of the box
>any window manager

No. As you say you'll beed to use something like xfce services, but un general línea you'll have to set everything up.

Read the fucking wiki or go install something else.

Why do I have 2 kernels installed?
4... -75 and
4... -21

>notice fan is a bit noisy today
>check if something is using a lot of CPU
>see pic related

And we're seriously letting Lennart's systemd take over the Linux ecosystem?

How long has pulseaudio been around now? And it's still a buggy piece of garbage!

GNU/Linux*

Why are you using it then? Plain ALSA justo werks.

>And we're seriously letting Lennart's systemd take over the Linux ecosystem?
not me

Logged in using root as login name. Figuring out how to add a user now

Really? I just installed maybe 2 hours ago. Running pacman -Syu says everything is up to date

Fuck, looking at my reflection my glasses seem way to feminine there

>syu
Use Syyu to force database update from mirrorlist.
Change your mirror it is is out dated

~$ pacman -Qi gtk3
Name : gtk3
Version : 3.22.14-1
Description : GObject-based multi-platform GUI toolkit
Architecture : x86_64
URL : gtk.org/
Licenses : LGPL
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : atk cairo libxcursor libxinerama libxrandr libxi libepoxy gdk-pixbuf2 dconf libxcomposite libxdamage pango shared-mime-info
at-spi2-atk wayland libxkbcommon adwaita-icon-theme json-glib librsvg wayland-protocols desktop-file-utils mesa
gtk-update-icon-cache
Optional Deps : libcanberra: gtk3-widget-factory demo [installed]
gtk3-print-backends: Printing
Required By : evince file-roller firefox four-in-a-row gcr gnome-chess gnome-desktop gspell gtksourceview3 ibus libkeybinder3 libpeas
libxfce4ui nm-connection-editor polkit-gnome thunderbird transmission-gtk vte3
Optional For : avahi deadbeef ghostscript libreoffice-fresh qt5-base
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 70.42 MiB
Packager : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig)
Build Date : Wed 10 May 2017 09:53:03 PM CEST
Install Date : Wed 10 May 2017 11:08:16 PM CEST
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script : Yes
Validated By : Signature

so you can pick and choose

Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

1) Command lines/Lack of GUI's

Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.

2)Root/sudo is stupid.

Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?

3)Apt-get

Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?

4)Compiling

Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.

Come on Linux. The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990. It's time for you to do so also. I'm giving up and installing windows.

>Why the fvck would I want to use a command line?
Because typing is faster than pointing and clicking things.

>Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs?
It's more secure.

>I'm giving up and installing windows.
Enjoy your botnet, sorry I mean telemetry!

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Thank you for using an anime photo

nice copypasta

should I install arch or gentoo?

install gentoo

Yes.

What are some cool terminal commands?

pkill ""

>""
>not .

ls | grep>find

Is there some kind of detailed guide on configuring MPV?
why would I set vo=opengl vs vo=vdpau?
what is debanding? why would I use deringing?
etc etc?

Without thinking, I added root to wicd user group. Is this bad? How do I undo this?

Default settings are more then adequate
>who do i know what all this other shit means
You fucking google it

vo=opengl
profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
deband

I keep my journal using git commit messages

How autistic am I?

pipe dmesg through this script

#!/bin/bash

while IFS= read -r line; do
length="${#line}"
bol=1
for (( offset = 0 ; offset < length ; offset++ )); do
char="${line:offset:1}"
printf '%s' "$char"
if (( bol )) && [[ "$char" == " " ]]; then
continue
fi
bol=0
sleep 0.05
done

if (( length == 0 )); then
sleep 0.$(( RANDOM % 3 + 2 ))
else
sleep 0.$(( RANDOM % 7 + 3 ))
fi

printf '\n'
done

leave this running

family thinks I am hacking and calls the police

That's not really autistic as it is just plain stupid. Stop trying to be "cool and unique", everyone knows you're just trying to show off to your normie friends.

been using date +%s for a while, share program?

Just install git
Set your shell variable $EDITOR

read more
pastebin.com/XBiiBR8n

whats a comfy, and nice looking distro?

is elementary the best looking by default?

i know you can make any look good, especially arch, but i am just saying by default... what looks best?

elementry's aesthetic is ugly and stupid.

Stupid? You could argue that. Ugly? Nope.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

thanks for the pastebin user

Thanks.

What's your todolist solution, faglets?

Anyone have any experience with using proprietary Nvidia drivers on openSUSE Tumbleweed? Are they in the repositories? I read on their website that if you need proprietary Nvidia drivers it may be a reason to not use Tumbleweed.

does this kill all killable processes for the user that runs it?
why how does `""` do that?

Does anyone know any big companies using Debian? All the companies I know use Redhat/CentOS , Ubuntu or if they are European opensuse (´・ω・`)

I'm installing Arch (in a vm at first so I don't fuck things up)

I'm at the point where I've uncommented the locales I'll need to generate, but now I'm stuck in the locale.gen file, how do I get back to the terminal?

It's so you can roll back to the earlier kernel if the new one breaks shit.

It's basically getting sneaky with variable parsing and regex. The "" returns an empty string as the variable, and literally everything matches an empty string in regex, so pkill then kills everything it has the right to.

So I just bought this refurb'd derpbook for a little under half price and I'm want to put Linux on it somewhere. I'd prefer dual boot between Linux and Windows 10. I want to learn Linux but have Win10 sitting in the wings if I decide I need it for something. If things go well with Linux I may turn the laptop into a server. Or I may not if I realize that's retarded. I do have a desktop so I'm not fucked if this laptop goes down or I can't figure out wtf I'm doing for a week or two.

Suggestions other than kys?

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267123

>HP EliteBook 8560w 15" Mobile Workstation Laptop
>Intel Core i7 2720QM (2.2 GHz)
>8 GB Memory
>500 GB HDD
>NVIDIA Quadro 1000M

Don't put Win10 on it. Seriously, don't. It's an absolute nigger of an operating system. Instead, stick more RAM in it and install Win10 in KVM.

taskwarrior

Win10 is already on it. There's nothing to do except decide how to place Linux. Speaking of which, the wiki says Mint may have been compromised but that was over a year ago. Did they clean it up or is it still a risk?

What are you asking? Elitebooks are generally pretty good for Linux. I've had several Elitebooks and Debian worked well on all of them. Arch and its derivatives also usually work well. I personally prefer Debian though since it's rock solid and I don't have to worry about it.

>What are you asking?

Is the dual boot idea a bad idea?

If you're in the nano editor, ctrl+x should prompt a save and exit.

Also use Alt+F1 through F8(?) to cycle through your virtual terminals. Think of it like a tab in a browser, you can run multiple tasks from the command line at once by using different virtual terminals.

writing down plain text, just like in real life, you weirdo.

Dual boot is a good idea. It gives you more room to learn and play with stuff. Also if Windows breaks you can try and fix it from Linux.

If you're the guy considering installing Mint, I'd say go with Ubuntu or Debian instead.

The reason being the further you get from the source distro the more buggy and insecure things tend to be, in my experience.

that makes sense, I was actually using vi before because of the guide I'm following, thanks.

Which type of archive format (tar, zip, 7z, etc.)
is the least exploitable (e.g. making unpacking take ages) and in general unpacks the fastest?

tar is not compressed so it seems like it would be fast and deterministic.

Okay, good. I'm looking at Debian and wondering why the fuck a "lightweight" OS needs 12+gb.

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/

No problem

Made some neater changes and views, just update the [alias] section to get the new commands
pastebin.com/nhvh5YiF

If you write your own git log format, you can essentially export your messages into any data format you want.

That includes virtually all of the software that has been packaged for debian, 90% of which you won't need. The first dvd image will do a complete install, or just go with the net installer that is a few hundred mb and downloads what is needed.

is it possible to do passthrough with ryzen yet?

Anyone know how to get Thunar to display the proper icons for Samba shares?

Notice in the Nautilus window it shows the correct icons, but in Thunar - it just shows some generic icon.

Thank-you!

Should I just give in to the systemd?

Depends what you value more, convenience or UNIX philosophy.

Hello, I asked some questions a few days ago about full disk encryption things. I am a bit frustrated as installing Arch from the command line and encrypting a USB with the /boot partition mostly worked, but it still gives me some problems. Doing a system update broke shit for some reason, I am guessing the kernel, since it doesn't know that /boot is on the USB. Even though put in my passkey and can navigate the files and shit. I dunno if I am a stupid idiot or if it just makes things stupid having encrypted USBs and shit.

So someone said GRUB supports an encrypted /boot, correct? Does this mean that this article - twopointfouristan.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/pwning-past-whole-disk-encryption/ - is a thing of the past? Could I just put my entire system on the hard drive, and put GRUB on my USB and be fine? Will I be secure from stupid fuckery like that article? It is like 6 years old so I am just wondering if it is still relevant. Reading that was the entire reason I felt the need to put /boot on a USB, though.

It is frustrating. All in all I want - an OS where the only way to access any of the files is to enter my passkey.

source mage

>le angery comman

>daily driver
Kill yourself for perpetuating retarded memes and concepts.

You don't even know what the UNIX philosophy is nor do you know how systemd is allegedly breaking it.
You don't care that your other programs are allegedly infringing it. You care that systemd does it because you think it makes you cool and smart for being able to talk about something that "complicated.
Kill yourself.

Woah dude stop projecting

What was GNU with Hurd kernel called before Linux was created?

GNU

I am an absolute noob with Linux, but forced to use Ubuntu for work. I like it quite a lot, but some seemingly simple operations turn out to be a drag.

I downloaded PyCharm for Linux. To run it, I have to manually navigate to PyCharm.sh in the Console and then run the script. I do not see an option to create an icon on the Desktop.

>I do not see an option to create an icon on the Desktop.
an icon for what? PyCharm.sh?

so it was ok to call the os after one component then, GNU instead of GNU/Hurd but now suddenly it's wrong to call it after one component, Linux instead of GNU/Linux?

the operating system was supposed to be called GNU
Hurd is a part of the GNU project
are you stupid

>tfw, on a fresh arch install, just tried KDE plasma for the first time

not bad.

Hi Felix

what's a good CLI music player? Preferably something with support for mp3, flac and maybe vorbis (occasionally but I barely use it). An integrated visualiser would also be cool, but tmux+cava does basically the same thing. I also like how ncmpcpp can press l and load lyrics from a variety of sites. I currently use mopidy-spotify and ncmpcpp, but I'm ditching Spotify. I don't really need a server like mpd or mopidy.

I use moc. It does not have integrated visualiser.
But at least its not using 30% of my CPU.
>MPD

I use cmus.
It has none of what you talked about.
You just run it, point it to a directory with music and press play.
I use it with a dedicated drop down terminal that automatically starts when I press media play on my keyboard. It is simple, lightweight and out of the way.

MDP and ncmcpp is the opposite.
It requires lot of attention, lot of setup and is bloated to the point where you might as well use a graphical music player.

What's the difference between a distro like Gentoo and straight up LFS?

So I've been having some issues with an Ubuntu 16.04 server I have, every now and then it will crash and I have to do a full reset to get it to reboot.

Are there any common things that would cause a server to outright crash, and are there any good diagnostic tools I can use?

FUCK
I'm the biggest retard ever. accidentally ran "rm -rf /home/user". Ctrl+C'd probably 0.5 secs in. It doesn't seem to have deleted anything- how can I make sure? Is there an easy way to get a log of what it deleted? Can I restore it easily on ext4?

Does rm work alphabetically? I think it got my downloads folder, and nuked one of my larger torrents, but nothing else...

rm -rf basically just calls unlink, so the data is still there, but free for overwrite
you can use tools like photorec to recover rm'd data, but you also should use a different drive when doing it

LFS is totally unusable for a main system, or as anything other than a learning experience. Gentoo has a package manager (portage) included, but it just compiles the packages using ebuilds.