/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ritzcamera.com/product/HE400I/hifiman-he-400i-planar-magnetic-headphones.htm
amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B00NCSIN4W/ref=vsbg_hdphn_695064_sr/147-4018060-0743707?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494477572&sr=1-22&th=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16829128011
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=over_ear_headphone-_-26-138-190-_-Product
audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php
amazon.com/dp/B00G97432O//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=duiwath-20
s.aliexpress.com/FRfyAv6j
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>back to anime
Good.

CRAZY

BABIES

What's your powerlevel when you listen to music outside?

autism?

stop normalizing anime

There is literally nothing wrong with anime.

>"you will need a really good dac/amp/combo/whatever snake oil shit to make ur hd650s sound good and loud enough"
>my cheap ur22 usb audio interface can drive them to such levels that will literally rip my eardrums out with no distortion whatsoever
>also have my monitors connected to it, all knobs in one place to change volume and don't need to touch fuck all in windows to switch between

yeah fuck you guys. also the hd650s sound absolutely incredible, i was prepared to get meme'd for a while there, i'm just wondering how they still haven't fixed this headband that seems like it will snap if i just look at them wrong

Fuck anime

Where do you think you are?

Funny as while I find nothing wrong with the output quality of the UR22, it's definitely low on power. Same headphones, some equalization and higher dynamic range stuff just is too quiet.

>i'm just wondering how they still haven't fixed this headband that seems like it will snap if i just look at them wrong

it doesn't, just treat them well

Investing in a headphone stand would be a good idea so you don't drop them, if you haven't already. I've got pic related coming in the mail for my HD 650

how can it possibly be too quiet? i'm not even coming close to 3/4 of the knob and i'm afraid of either hearing damage or the headphones blowing

are you sure you haven't fucked something up?

On a technology board, maybe (?)

Are those 650

Those Koss headphones always makes me thing of a helicopter pilot.

Looks like them.

Comfyness.
That's all I really care about, as I use them 8+hrs to drown out the world.

Sony MDR-V6 + Auray Deluxe velour pads is my planned next purchase (to replace a not so comfortable Sony bluetooth MBR-1RBT). Any other comfy options?

so.. does it just kind of rest on your head or something, how is it comfy?

are sennheiser urbanite xl's (or the on ear variant if you have it) comfy to lay on your side in?

Any over-ear headphones that can be worn outside?

I have a question
If my fidelio x2's have an impedance of 32 ohms, and they're generally considered high tier headphones, then whats even the point of manufacturing ones with higher impedance? Why would I buy a 300+ dollar headphone that requires a good source and effectively can't be used portably or with a phone or laptop and needs the extra purchase of a expensive amp, when I could just buy a 100-300 dollar headphone with great sound that doesn't require anything extra and sounds great even out of a smartphone?

>they're generally considered high tier headphones
Guess again friendo

Some expensive headphones have low impedances. Look at the Focal Elear. Some cheap headphones have high impedances. DT-880 600ohm.

but I mean what difference does it even make? Shouldn't all manufacturers be shooting for as low an impedance as possible since generally a high one isn't necessary for high quality sound and its usually an inconvenience for the average person to have to use a more powerful source?

HE-400i at $225

ritzcamera.com/product/HE400I/hifiman-he-400i-planar-magnetic-headphones.htm

>Budget
100$ - 150$

>Location
North Carolina, USA

>Source
PC w/ no Sound Card

>Type
Over-Ear

>Open / Closed
Don't Care

>Sound Signature
Don't know. It's mainly going to be used for gaymen and loud music.

>Past Headphones
GS-4731. I liked the Over-Ear and the fact that the microphone was long. But I'm probably going to be using a Velcro Dot mic, so that shouldn't be a problem.

A good source will benefit all headphones, but a bad source will hurt some headphones more than others. For stuff like the HD800, the manufacturer assumes that if you're spending that much on a headphone, you will also have a DAC/amp so my guess is they just look at sound quality without really caring about impedance. Regardless, mobile devices are getting to the point where they can power harder to drive headphones. My HD600 works well and gets loud on my phone and tablet and sounds amazing from my laptop.

The only popular 'high tier' headphones with high impedance are Sennheiser's and Beyerdynamic headphones, altho beyers come with different impedance settings. For beyers I can imagine having high impedance is valid in the studio use to filter out all unwanted interferences/noise from electronics around, altho T1 is very efficient despite being 600 ohm. Sennheiser being one of the oldest, if not the oldest, headphone manufacturers just sticking to their guns, and you can use them with tube amps which gives them a certain edge among audiophiles, altho HD700 had no problems playing on my iPhone as far as loudness goes, didn't try it with amp tho.

HM5, SHP9500, 558, Custom Studio/DT770 80, CB-1

Are koss portapros any good for cheap headphones?

I'm currently using them for my morning commute to school and to sleep with. Ask me anything.

I've read that they're cheaply made and the wire breaks pretty easily, that true?
And im looking for something with enough bass so you can hear it, but not feel it all throughout your skull. Also can it be heard all around you? Like do people tell you your music is too loud and they can hear it?

Also is the limited edition with the adjustable volume worth it if you have that model?

>I've read they're cheaply made and the wire breaks pretty easily
The wire is pretty damn thin and absolutely see that being where a major breaking point can be though I've been pretty careful with it for the 3 months I've owned it for and so far is still intact.
>im looking for something with enough bass you can hear it
Yep it's definitely there though it's mostly midbass boom than subbass rumble
>can it be heard around you?
If you play it loud enough, yes it can though I've never had that problem as I don't really blast it. I've maybe had 1 person turn around hear my music on a loud track from maybe a meter away due to their technically open back design and they don't isolate very much
>Also is the limited edition with adjustable volume worth it if that's the model you have
$60 for an open back portable with no isolation with inline controls? Nope. I'm using the standard version and I'm satisfied with the $40 I paid for them plus they come with a Koss lifetime warranty.

Sounds good to me. Thanks man, breciate it.

Hello /hpg/.

Is 'Hi Res Audio' a meme?

Should I have biught a wireless, NFC, bluetooth, chromecast capable pair with the option of wired for 50 dollars less instead of these glorious headphones?

How long does VE usually take to ship to the US when ordering direct?

I ordered my monks a week ago, got a tracking number, and there's been no activity since.
Have I been hoodwinked or am I just impatient?

>Budget
Around $400

>Location
New Jersey, USA

>Source
Phone / Portable Gaming Devices

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Not that important, but being comfortable would be nice.

>Sound signature
All around good sounds would be good. I plan on using it in public, most of the time.

Appreciate any kind of suggestion, lads.

Literally Oppo PM-3.

>Koss lifetime warranty.
>mfw when I live in milwaukee so I abuse the shit out of their warranty

>hasnt arrived in a week
>from china
>to the US
>complaining

i have a bunch of hair ties i ordered from first half or March that hasnt arrived yet. stop your bitching.

shouldnt have voted for trump, huh?

You lucky motherfucker. Seriously though, that's pretty neat. I'm actually going to replace them with Superlux HD 562's pretty soon once I sell my drawing tablet that I used for a week then put back in the box.

Honestly the best part of being close to them isn't the warranty but rather that they have every headphone they make set up for you to try with your own music.

Mates, is Sennheiser HD650 still a good purchase or is there a better, more updated alternative?

I'm not expecting it to arrive in a week, but I figured it'd have shipped at least.

That's actually pretty cool of them. I kinda wish they brought back some of their discontinued headphones like the SST Series and PortaPro Jr's.

Comfiest sound sig reporting in

It's an excellent purchase, HD600 is the more recommended option as it's more neutral but some prefer the HD650 for its darker and less fatiguing tone.

HD600 is better and cheaper

That picture is a great example of how I feel right now.
I'm sure none of you actually like your headphones you just like talking about them but if you take a break from your good ones for a while then come back it's such an incredible feeling.
I've been stuck on my IEMs for the last 2 weeks because I've been so busy but I just got a few hours of listening in tonight on my full size open back headphones and god the music just sounds so good.
Do your headphones make you happy, user?

once you get the HD650 like the girl in the op so you stop caring about the shitflinging autism over headphones and just listen to your music in bliss

Fuck anime
Fuck Z-Reviews

I don't want to argue. If I could afford another expensive set of headphones it would be the 650s but I love treble so I'm happy with what I have.
Need those female vocals to reach high and embolden my soul, u feel nigga?

is this a good pair of headphones? they're $70

amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B00NCSIN4W/ref=vsbg_hdphn_695064_sr/147-4018060-0743707?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494477572&sr=1-22&th=1

i'm looking for a nice paiir of bluetooth headphones because my laptop audio jack is broken. open to suggestions :)

i used to think that before i got the 650s.

the 'veil' meme is a meme, there's no lost detail anywhere, vocals are more present and high notes are less irritatingly sharp. it's like beyers have oversharpen filters over everything that makes you think it looks better because it isn't as blurry but it's not accurate to the source

It's hard to know if you're serious but wireless headphones tend to be expensive and the sound quality tends to be lacking. They will serve their purpose but if you got something like a philips shp from newegg for less money the sound would be way better. For portable use any armeture IEM at $70 is going to sound better.
For what they are, cheap wireless headphones, I am sure they function just fine.

Studio headphones had high impedance because theyd get put into interfaces that output to multiple headphones at the same time as a whole team simultaneously listened to something. It also allowed them to be inserted into all sorts of inputs with no issue.

Audiofools confuse the correlation of high quality audio equipment and high impedance and assume that one causes the other. The market plays on these expectations and gets these idiots to buy amps and DACs, even though impedance doesnt necessarily determine how hard to drive a pair of headphones is.
They make up reasons like impedance roll off or whatever but its all bullshit. Higher impedance will not improve audio quality.

yes i'm serious, i'm still looking on amazon. i'll fill out a template

>Budget
flexible around $70

>Location
usa
>Source
bluetooth because my laptop audio jack is broken
>Type of headphone
i don't care
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
over nine thousand!!!!! no it doesnt entirely matter

Venture are a bunch of scammers who will take their sweet time shipping to you. Just hope your order isnt messed up, if they actually send it.

Get a USB soundcard

>Sound signature

What if you did something like
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16829128011
plus
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=over_ear_headphone-_-26-138-190-_-Product

We're talking at least twice the sound quality and comfort of the skullcandy you linked.

>USB soundcard
thanks fox. do a barrel roll lol XD

This seems surprising given how popular they are.

"How urgently do you need it" should be added to this, tbqhfamdesu

>comfort
>all those dangling cords

honestly, if user wants a bluetooth headphones, he's obviously not a muh audiophile faglord.

Something like this is the solution, but you could get a cheap mpow Bluetooth receiver instead.

Status CB-1 if you want closed.

I have two headsets.
1. Steelseries Siberia V2
2. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm (cost three times more than the Siberia).

But I have no amplifier...
Tbh, the siberia have a more muddy, comfortable and stronger bass and kick.
Also, DT770's treble is too high.

I don't have the money to buy an amplifier for headphones right now.

How can the Siberia have better sound quality???? am I simply just crazy? are my ears dead?

i'm thinking this will do. i looked up reviews for cheap as hell sound cards on amazon and was instantly discouraged. spending 30 on a sound card isn't high on my to do list, but if i have to in order to listen to my hare guu episodes in peace i will spend it. i'm looking into all of these things, the Philips SHP9500S looks nice i suppose

audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php

My hearing is surprisingly good considering I've been using headphones so much since I was a kid.

Just replaced my HD 650 pads. Holy shit I didn't realize the head pad was so dead; I had to extend the headband 6 clicks.
It's still great.
(you)
This. Avoided Sennheiser for a long time because of veilmongers and how shit the HD 202 and HD 280 are.

>the siberia have more muddy-
Say no more senpai, you're crazy. Try installing Equalizer APO with Peace GUI and toning down the treble on the DT770's. Get used to the 770's by using them for a week or two exclusively then try switching back to the Siberia's. What you're saying reminds me of when I switched from Skullcandy Hesh2's to Superlux HD 681's.

>(you)
?

Also how come you opted for the HD600 headband over the HD650 one? Doesn't look as comfy and doesn't fit as well on stands

The 650 one was out of stock and slightly more expensive.

My earbuds just broke and I'm looking for new ones. Which would you guys reccomend that last long and are decent quality?

I need a headphone thats comfy to lay on your side in
I'm looking at the v moda m100 and Sennheiser urbanite xl, would either of those be good?

The xl's are on ear and v-modas are infamous for being uncomfortable

You mean like on a pillow? How could that possibly be comfortable with headphones on? Get some cheap speakers.

I've been pretty comfy with PortaPros in bed, It'd probably be comfier with KCS75's.

amazon.com/dp/B00G97432O//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=duiwath-20

Please be my /hpg/f

All you need is the $7 syba usb sound card.

I have every digital volume set to max. I use equalization which yields around a - 6dB cut on midrange loudness. This coupled with higher dynamic range content(classical, movies, some games) actually makes me turn the volume knob all the way up.

Just EQ these
s.aliexpress.com/FRfyAv6j

What's the consensus on the monolith m1060? Are they a meme or are they worth their salt?

Amazingly bad implementation

Would I come off as too much of a hipster if I got an AK70 or XDP-100R?

Just bought $700 in new headphone shit. Can't wait for it to arrive so it can sit on my desk barely getting used. I totally need this stuff in order to get that last bit of performance out of my audiobooks and decade old Flash files.

>syba usb sound card
thank you so much!!!

>I said exact change only

my akg k701 headphones started dying, any suggestions on what to replace them with?

>tascam th02
>sennheiser 202
>monoprice Hi-Fi DJ style
I need a new beater pair , which one?

too much wrong with them, mod some mk3's or save for some lcd-2's

Had ordered hd 558 for vr gaming and music with source from decent mobo or creative sound blaster z which i plan to buy but they just called me that they're out of stock and told me they have the hd 559 for cheaper (12euros cheaper) should i get those instead i was planing to do a trick an user from last thread recommended that improves their sound staging. From the store they tell me the hd 559 are the new 558s model and sound better but i'm not sure. Should i just order the 558s again from another store for 15~ euros more or just get the 559s for less?.

Still not as comfy as HD600.

HD600 is the best of the two, that much is pretty much universally understood.

If you like idols (nico pic related), HD600 is where it's at. Godlike female vocals.

>Budget
around 100€

>Location
EU

>Source
dedicated music player w/ amp

>Type of headphone
on-ear, PORTABLE (important)

>Open or closed
preferably closed, but I can deal with open

>Comfort level
I'd be wearing them for hours at a time

>Sound signature
neutral, maybe mid-centric

>Past headphones
AKG 480, they sounded too muddy, like they were playing through a pillow

I've been eyeing the major IIs because they fit basically every criteria, but I'm worried they're just a normie meme like beats

Help me hpg i got to call them to change the order today.

any website to specifically look for headphones at?

Or It doesn't matter where I buy them?