Hey guys, stupid ass cable modem has a mini PCIe wifi card. If you remove it for privacy concerns (yes...

Hey guys, stupid ass cable modem has a mini PCIe wifi card. If you remove it for privacy concerns (yes, HUGE problem here), the modem does not boot.

how do i even begin figuring out how to disable the card. look at all those pinouts.

By asking for a different one if can.
no BRIDGE mode?
Change infrastructure

Wtf are you doing, just use it normally fucking autist

come on bro. that's a joke!
there's a reason they don't let you pull it out, because with software they can turn it back on!

criminals don't even need to ask the ISP for your info any more

case in point. they get your IP, which shows mac address in hostname. they look it up with geo ip. shows them your neighborhood. they have a backdoor to your modem, turn on your wifi.

drive around until they find your mac address broadcast. now criminals, communists, etc, know where you live.

remove the antenna (both of them if it has two), cover it with paper or plastic and put tinfoil on that (not meme'ing).

yeah, that's ghetto. i already thought of that. ghetto.

>he wants to disable the wifi card
>he thinks there's a way that's "not ghetto"

Just build a faraday cage around the modem. Next problem?

I'd cut pin #9.

Should still draw power and be detected but it won't be able to communicate with it.

>#10

i wonder what happens when i put another mini pci card in there.

Stop being fucking stupid. Just unplug the aerials. The range with no antenna is like three feet, if it works at all.

MAC isn't transmitted outside of ur LAN
geoip knows country and perhaps region, which varies from 5-200km and country to country.

nothing like calling the ISP, identifying urself with company ID number ( easy to find ) and ask for almost anything, excluding technical changes, unless u know a Name of an authorized person, blalbalb.

>mac address in hostname
lol

most likely it's hardcoded to find that specific card on the bus, and stays stuck in an infinite loop when it's not present.
if you're serious about this, you'll need to dump the firmware and reverse-engineer it.

if your router won't boot without the original, then it probably won't boot with another but different. It's probably a software-level check, not hardware.

basically the embedded loonix system boots up, finds no wlan0 (it's almost 100% certain that the firmware only has a driver for the card it was sold with and none for any other) and the system stops with an error (error you don't see because you cannot connect a monitor or a serial terminal on it)

Brah, on the modems issued by this ISP, the WLAN mac is just a few hex digits off the WAN mac, and i can guarantee you it's the same spacing in every modem.

i would love to get into the firmware. maybe there's pins for rs232 ... or some other type of debugging port.

Consider disconnecting antenna cable.
Possible outcome: no working wifi.

What modem it is that it doesn't want to boot?

If it's halfway decent disconnecting the antenna won't work.

The external antenna means little if it's on chip.

e.g look at your average smartphone with an ant the size of a corn kernel that can get 5 bar wifi from a router 500' away.

You don't have any clue

Have to shield it.

evil cisco spyware.

i have no clue? you're right! i have evidence.

Short out the antennas. Cut the connector and connect the two wires inside to each other.

Have you tried actually going into the modem settings and seeing if you can disable wifi? There usually is an option for that.

i think you're on the right track ... a dummy load.

Yeah dude keep thinking that your Mac address is just floating around on a layer 3 protocol and publicly accessible to Joe schmoe

HAHAHAH!!!!!!
as if there isn't a backdoor to turn that right back on with a single packet. can't trust shitco, i mean cisco at all.

Man, you got schizo

shows how much you know!!!

yeah okay shill. i take it you never read wikileaks? i guess that would be a conflict of interest for you.

>it's a Terry visits Sup Forums episode

call your ISP and ask for a modem-only.
wow that was hard

>cisco

Isn't it technicolor now?

btw, DNS is not a layer 3 protocol.

Tear the antennae out and plaster gunk on the connectors.

You can try this but don't go crazy on the voltage, maybe 2 or 3X the regular load or you risk shorting the whole piece.

Ideally, return this piece of garbage. I don't trust V-PRO at all.

Cut the antenna. Easiest solution

lol, this isn't VPRO, that's a whole other can of worms.

>MAC addresses are layer 3
You guys are fucking stupid, I didn't say shit about DNS dipshit.

>layer 3
bro, mac addresses are at layer 2. but some ISPs stuff the mac address of the cable modem into the PTR record for the IP.

the wifi adapter mac, as visible with wifi scanning tools, is typically just a few hex digits off, which is very close in the world of mac addresses 2^48 combinations.

Calm down terry

Are you literally 12?

>how do i 1337 h4x0r disable this thing guys
>dude tinfoil
>YOU DIDN'T GIVE ME MY H4X0R ANSWER
kys