Portable electronics and air travel in the near future

Seeing as the US is planning to expand their ban on bringing any electronic devices larger than a smartphone onto an airplane to cover all travel from Europe in addition to the Middle East, it's likely that this will become the new norm for all air travel in the near future.
thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/10/u-s-to-ban-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

While I can't find the maximum allowable device size under the US ban, only the vague description of "anything larger than a smart phone," but the UK's ban has the more specific dimensions of anything larger than 6.3"x3.7" or 160mm x 94mm which would seem to include most UMPCs and ereaders, there is also no word on the possibility of thickness restrictions. What alternative portable electronics would Sup Forums use to entertain themselves if forced to travel by plane in the potential future where these rules are applied to every flight? Also, would you have additional security concerns due being separated from any laptop you chose to bring?

Other urls found in this thread:

kakaku.com/item/K0000866096/
youtube.com/watch?v=sFs8IpbIstM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why specifically Europe and the Middle East?
Why not the Americas or Asia?
Is something wrong with them?

Yeah, I wonder.

A smartphone? What a stupid fucking question.

I'm still confused though!
What's inside Europe and the Middle East that they're so afraid of?

can't live without electronics for a few hours? Try having a conversation with someone

This thread is for discussing this issue as it relates to technology, not international politics. If you want to discuss how this issue relates to international politics then make a thread on Sup Forums.

>What does Sup Forums use to entertain themselves?
This is better than any electronic game

you will just have to wait and find out. virtually all laptops are too big to use during flight anyways, my x220 is barely usable and thats uncomfortable as fuck without being a total fucking asshole to the person next to you

That better not contain more than 3.4 ounces of liquid.

What about the problem of having to check your laptop where they could tamper with it?

tamper as in how? if you think they are going to open everyones bags just to install malware on your machine you need to fuck off

>can't read books or comics
>can't watch movies or play games
>can't type anything up
>normies get to fuck around on their phones all they want
fuck this

The answer is obvious;

Google Glass.

>if you think they are going to open everyones bags just to install malware on your machine
No, but there's nothing stopping them from tampering with some machines which may happen to include yours or just plain stealing them.

>can't watch movies or play games
I'm pretty sure some older handhelds would be acceptable, particularly the PSP GO as I have an older smartphone that's about the same size.

I wonder how hard it would be to fit a Raspberry Pi Zero or similar sized SBC into one of those pocket sized folding keyboards and using it with one of the available HMDs for watching movies.
>MFW cyberdecks actually become a reality due to bullshit travel laws

>can't read books or comics

What?

Unless your laptop doesn't have lithium-ion batteries, you won't be checking it. I keep getting asked about them when checking luggage anyway.

Can you actually bring those in planes and fill it with water from the washroom?

mudslimes. they are all potential terrorists.

>cyberdecks actually become a reality due to bullshit travel laws
AR headset that projects a keyboard onto the tray.

>being an Americuck

Well memed

I guess that depends on whether or not explosives are available in a dehydrated form, that just needs water to activate it

>living in north america, europe or asia
who does that amirite

Please don't let my country follow along with this. I don't want to check my fucking laptop every time I fly home.

Fuck that country. I refuse to go through their stupid security theatre designed to keep heir population in fear. It's so much nicer to travel to Asia.

what is that and why i do have an erection

Looks like this kakaku.com/item/K0000866096/ .

I've got one of those cheap little VR headsets that you stick your phone in to use as the screens. I'll just use that with a video player app. The resolution isn't great, but the sense of space helps with the cramped conditions onboard. Let's be realistic, this isn't about a security threat. There is no government backing with this. This is just airlines wanting to get more people to pay for in flight movies on the longest flights they offer, and it will soon be rolled out to the domestic flights as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=sFs8IpbIstM

umpc shits strike again

you don't do work on a flight you wouldn't be on because you aren't important so this works out.

>alternative electronics
"I'm better than you"

I like how none of this was an issue until everyone opened their borders to terrorists.

This is why we'll never have nice things.

>until everyone opened their borders to terrorists.

The Irish have been able to cross borders for a long time

Fingerboxes are pretty cool OP. You should try them. They're also allowed in planes.