Laptops

I'm going to college for computer science in August, and I would like to know, what kind of laptops goes Sup Forums use? If you are in college, have they worked well? I will most likely install Linux on it. Right now I run an Acer C720 with Gallium OS on it but it's pretty slow.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/22249946441
amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-110s-Laptop-Storage/dp/B01N05RBC4/ref=sr_1_4/147-2981997-5214042?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494470287&sr=1-4&keywords=Lenovo Ideapad
bestbuy.com/site/asus-flip-2-in-1-10-1-touch-screen-chromebook-rockchip-2gb-memory-16gb-flash-emmc-memory-aluminum/9240075.p?skuId=9240075
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most people will say Chromebooks...

Bump because mine just broke and I can't start threads on ps4.

T 4 2 0

>I will most likely install Linux on it
You should be using your laptop for office related purposes like Word, Powerpoint, etc. You don't want to be that guy that makes it difficult to share files with in teamwork

In fact, I would recommend getting something like Surface or some tablet with OneNote that you can take notes with. It is very valuable in a school note-taking environment

The C.S. department should provide you with their own Linux machines in their datacenters. You can install your Linux programs and such, although you'll have to do everything as non-root user. Tools such as GNU Stow can help you manage and it should be good experience for you can carry into the workplace, plus you'll never have to worry about losing your work if you lose your laptop

thinkpad x220 is the way to go

Fuck I just ordered a c720 for general browsing and shitposting.
Is it that slow

Install Gentoo.

You can use Microsoft Office in a web browser.

>Word, Powerpoint, etc.
If you really want to share documents correctly, you use a document sharing system, like Google Docs. The only exception is if you're using really specific Excel shit.

Google Docs is terrible in general, also OneNote is king when it comes to digital note-taking

Yes, but it's not as good as running the application natively on your machine

>One Rupee has been deposited in your account.

If you don't install Linux, no. It's actually quite fast. I've found that Linux runs pretty well if your use isn't too intensive. If you have more than 3 tabs open, for example, it freezes up. Maybe I just took shit care of it, I don't know. I just want something faster.

>Google Docs is terrible
It costs nothing, runs the same on any OS and a lot of people have a gmail account anyway.

ebay.com/itm/22249946441
Cheap as fuck for a fairly rugged laptop for browsing/office stuff. Easy to get replacement parts to.

>ebay.com/itm/22249946441
item removed

Chromebook. Slap Ubuntu on it if you want, but I got by just using the lab. I've done game jams and hackathons with my chromebook for years, you can just get some language-oriented text editor app on it and be good to go.

Nope, not a shill. I said Surface or other things. I have a Thinkpad Tablet X. Point is, get a machine where you can take digital notes on

I wouldn't associate your personal account for school activity. Your school will most likely give you a school email address with an Office 365 subscription so use that for school purposes. Don't be a pleb and use your [email protected]

too broke to buy a professional grade program?

x220 is a good choice. Refurbished models are cheap, it's portable, has good battery life (you can get either a 6 or a 9 cell batt).

X230 if you're poor
X270/T470s if you aren't

Fug, well it was a Dell Latitude E6510. Can find them cheap on eBay or Craigslist.

I'm going to a good Law School this August, and I need a new Laptop. I always work from my desktop, but when forced not to, I use a Chromebook (which I love). Problem is that this law school uses a proprietary software suite for coursework and shit, and it only runs on Mac and Windows.

I'm not a mac-fag, and I'm not paying an ass-load of money so my choice is clear.

So, can anyone reccomend me a good Windows 10 Laptop for less than $350?

>No touch screen
>No flippy twisty screen gimmick bullshit
>Disk drive not necessary
>Big Harddrive not necessary
>Smallness is a massive plus
>Thinness is a massive plus

I basically need something I can just whip out and browse/type nots in google docs with.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Chromebook

???

less than 350? cmon man at least invest in something that will last a bit longer.

Why? It's just a note/test taking replacement for my chromebook.

thinkpad yoga.

Don't you have a phone?

Did you not read my post are you baiting?

amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-110s-Laptop-Storage/dp/B01N05RBC4/ref=sr_1_4/147-2981997-5214042?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1494470287&sr=1-4&keywords=Lenovo Ideapad

I was thinking about this one, how is it?

>ugly and completely white
>Celeron

Again, I just need a small, thin, and cheap windows laptop for note taking and shit. I don't get why people are sperging out about this.

pure shite.
get a used thinkpad yoga 12 or 14.
used chromebook pixel or used thinkpad x1 carbon 3rd or 4th gen

Build a PC
Buy a Chromebook for everything else.

Dude, no. Avoid celeron processors, even if you only use Office.

Go for an Asus that has at least 4GB of RAM, and a Pentium processor or an i3/i5 if you want it to last. It might be a little too much for what you need but that's the way to ensure it will keep working after some years fulfilling your basic needs.

Also, it's recommended that after you buy any laptop you install in it a fresh windows copy, because the pre-installed OS is filled with bloatware that slows your system, even if you uninstall that software individually it won't be enough.

Also what says

Secon hand laptops are a good alternative.

bestbuy.com/site/asus-flip-2-in-1-10-1-touch-screen-chromebook-rockchip-2gb-memory-16gb-flash-emmc-memory-aluminum/9240075.p?skuId=9240075
From another thread, seems pretty decent for the price. Not sure about Rockchip processors myself though.
Those are expensive, least on amazon. The Pixel you can probably get a deal on eBay.

there's no better deal than used business laptops.

Get a used mobile workstation.

>Acer with Gallium OS

>Don't be a pleb and use your [email protected]
Fuck this meme. No one uses retarded emails like that. Regardless, you can make a new one really fucking easily.

This desu

aight i think im gonna buy a used thinkpad x220 with i7 and 8gb of RAM. thanks for the help

CompE master race here. I've been using a shit tier Chromebook and it's worked okay for coding C. I've been going to the lab for hardware and HDL stuff. I've been getting involved with ACM and other orgs now so most things I do outside of lab is sending emails.

Chromebook is slow as fuck but works outlook alright. I'll have a fuck load of cash to blow after this internship so I might just buy a MacBook.