Windows ME

Why did Windows ME crash and burn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X3nndc5PJHM
youtube.com/watch?v=PQyUIISuetc
p.fuwafuwa.moe/xhgdtb.swf
p.fuwafuwa.moe/zdtjpi.mkv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because it was horribly optimized for the hardware common to the time it was released. it ran like shit so it was shit. by the time ram became cheap enough to run it, xp was out.

>because it was horribly optimized for the hardware common to the time it was released
So Windows 10?

>millenials edition

gee i wonder

Ran pretty bad compared to previous iterations plus Win2K with the NT kernel and stuff would end up releasing in a few months.

All the downsides of Windows 2000 (eg, inability to reboot into DOS mode, some device driver problems) combined with all the downsides of Windows 98 (eg, being a shitty operating system)

I used it for quite a few years. If you disabled a lot of stuff and knew what you were doing you could make it quite usable.

actually, ME came out AFTER 2k
2k wasn't aimed at the consumer market, ME was
there was plans of a consumer version of 2k ("Neptune"), but it was scrapped

as for OP, the technical reason is that ME changed how drivers worked, so drivers designed for 98SE weren't as stable on it as they were on ME
with ME-designed drivers, it was actually pretty solid, i used it up until 2004 with no more trouble than i got with 98SE

of course, first impressions always win, and ME was replaced by XP pretty quickly, so ME will forever be known as being shit, even though it wasn't really much different to any other major release

>on it as they were on 98SE*

it BSOD like it was going out of style. you must have never used it

-- oh, what i figured happened for most people is that they went back to 98SE immediately and then went straight to XP

just like vista. (back to XP, then to 7)

i used it from ~2001 to 2004
didn't switch to XP until its SP2 came out, mainly due to:
a. XP used a lot more resources, even in 2004 my machine only had 256M ram, XP needs a good chunk of that
b. older games, which XP, being an NT-based system, had worse support for
c. no need for ntfs until that point, i got a dvd drive in 2004, so i finally had a reason to store files over 4G in size

why the fuck would win2k have full dos support? the total design ((((THE NT KERNEL)))) was a completely different kernel

it was slapped together when their first attempt to do a home system on an NT kernel fell through

man, at the time, I was so ridiculously glad when XP came out even though my machine only had 128MB RAM
was better than dealing with ME, mostly because unstable programs didn't screw the whole machine over into locking up

the hideous lack of RAM did hurt though, was so glad when I got a laptop with 512MB of the stuff (it was a former work laptop, it was used to do CAD stuff) for XP

he didn't have patches ah yes the typical free tard excuses

I beat you didn't get the ME Iworm.dll virus for the very early verisons of yahoo mail that would fuck your system so hard and keep reinstalling it self even when you uninstalled it.

not only that it would install other viruses and be a pain in the ass untill SP1

let me guess you got windows 2000 because you are too pussy to fix it you're self (aka reinstall windows)

(-.-)

I don't know wtf you are saying. My sister had a laptop that came with ME and it was horrible.

btw windows ME worked fine on pentuim 1 systems.

don't get me wrong, XP/2k were far nicer systems, provided you had the resources and didn't run any legacy stuff
all i'm saying was that given appropriate drivers, it was no worse than 98SE
of course neither 98SE nor ME could hold a candle to 2k/XP technically

i might have switched to 2k sooner than 2004, but i don't believe i was aware of it (or mistook it as another name for ME, both being titled after the new millenium)

I r8 system resources/10

>Win98: A badly behaving program could crash the entire OS, but programs were built for 98 so they rarely did this.
>WinME: A badly behaving program could crash the entire OS, and programs were built for 98 so they often did this.

Win ME was slower and more unstable than 98 with absolutely no benefits.

XP gold viruses, oh boy
the first time i tested out XP ()
i got hit with something literally minutes after dialing up, i don't recall actually doing anything online before i noticed something was off
good thing SP2 added a firewall

>absolutely no benefits.
USB mass storage drivers and zip folder support ootb

Because it crashed more than any version of Windows that came before it.

-- speaking of sp2, i had to get a friend to download it for me, as i had difficulty running XP gold online long enough to download it

so you didn't own it your self?
it was no worse then windows 95

I'm not saying it wasn't shit.
But seriously it was the last true dos OS before NT kernal killed it off.
it was a odd time NT and DOS on the same platform thankfully that is no longer a thing.
as you said BSOD errors and the main reason was the back OS was still DOS and at that time exeeding the max specs could case the black screen of death mainly on video card they un iroically would go outside the Max specs.

you could edit this in the settings.ini
the thing is normies are stupid and well
you can gather the rest.
have a look at this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=X3nndc5PJHM

I don't think he's saying it should have had DOS support. I think he's just saying it was nice to have the option at the time. It was especially good if you wanted to play some old DOS games and the lower resource usage of DOS mode helped with crappy computers.

no but I'm the pc repair guy in the family so I had to fix it for her when it fucked up all the time.

windows 98/me crashed like everyweek. i knew licence keys by memory because i had to reinstall it everytime. luckily you didn't have all that mess with accounts and programms reinstallations back then

Correct that is what I was pointing at.

Still a better OS than 10.

You clearly never used used ME. 10 is a dream by comparison.

youtube.com/watch?v=PQyUIISuetc

I've used everything from whatever was on the apple IIe to the commodore and Amiga OS, msdos, and everything windows from 3.11 to 10. Me is objectively better than 10.

I think the mistake is that the major tweaks you could do on ME was in DOS mode
many argue that ME should of been NT only and not some hybrid of DOS and NT because of the so called "Y2K" bug

No windows ME had the very first windows combatiably mode but it wasn't located in the properties of the file so you had to go into contorl panel and click a wisard to get windows 98 stuff to work.

it also has the last support for touch pen support for crt monitors
(back then it was getting fazed out but they where like fuck it lets just add it for shits and giggles)
IKTF
but as I said it was no worse then Windows 95 or Windows NT and windows 95B edition.

Its clear you never had it though out its product lifetime.
like all of Sup Forums just hoping on a new OS everytime it came out.

you clearly have some sort of sentimental fondness for ME so you will defend it regardless of how crap it is

not a arguement kid.
You never personally owned it and proved it.
Just because you knew how to fix the errors AFTER they happen not before and don't know how it happened.

Internet was a thing then I'm no fool. LOL
Also there was a full manual on ME unlike windows 10.

a lot of the errors were unable to be fixed because how shit the kernel was.

because you bully her

damn, it's been a while since i've seen that

ME is way better than 10.
These two are the only windows versions I'm using regularly.

Go dig up the flash.

I used Windows from 3.1 onward.
Windows ME was more like Windows 98SE2 there was no reason to upgrade from 98, literally no improvements over bundled apps, these were still a big deal in those days.

Everyone I know that didn't buy a PC during the ME era went from 98 to XP, literally no reason to do otherwise.
Pretty much Windows 7 to 8.1 or 10, 8 was equally short lived.

- usb mass storage driver
- zip folders
- faster defrag tool
- pinball (previously in NT4, but wasn't in 98/SE)

>Go dig up the flash.
p.fuwafuwa.moe/xhgdtb.swf

>usb mass storage driver
You could add this to 98

> - zip folders
They didn't invent Zip files literally every single 98 install had winzip by this stage

>- faster defrag tool
3rd party software

> - pinball (previously in NT4, but wasn't in 98/SE)

big deal

This. Only fags that couldn't into computer hated it.

Windows 10 done wrong more precise for this OS.

>You could add this to 98
yea, you could, but what a pain in the ass it was to have to bring the mini cd that came with my usb flash drive to install the driver to use it
>They didn't invent Zip files literally every single 98 install had winzip by this stage
again, basically everything came in a zip file, being able to use them without installing anything was nice
>3rd party software
if you like, it's also possible to copy ME's defrag into windows 98
an improvement is an improvement
>big deal
pff, are you even being serious? every time someone makes an XP thread pinball is always mentioned, but it was ME that was the first consumer version of windows to get it! suck it, XP

>get it
built in, i mean, 95 Plus! doesn't count

>crashed

That's exactly what it did every time I clicked shut down.

>but as I said it was no worse then Windows 95 or Windows NT and windows 95B edition.
lol?
>windows ME wasn't shit if you had the right drivers!
Same with NT 4, except it didn't crash and it ran fucking great on hardware that ran ME like shit.

NTVDM is a thing, but it appeared only on windows xp and windows vista/7 (32 bit only), and you couldn't get any sounds working out of the dos games

Because it did exactly that. Crash and burn.

i'm seeing if i can make a high quality dump of it using gnash

anyone happen to know how to 'hit play' programmatically? or modify a swf to jump straight to specific... animation? not sure what to call it

>why the fuck would win2k have full dos support?
Maybe because at that point (late 90s early 00s) DOS software was a motherfucking essential for most people to get shit done.

>wince

>microshit windaids

it was so awful it made my 13 year old self install gentoo which was one of the best decisions i made in my life

woo, got it to autoplay
i found a foss swf editor, jpexs, and took the code that runs when you press the play button, and pasted it into the code that runs on frame1, which simply jumps to frame3, which is the main animation

the main reason for BSOD's was memory leaks that had the ram fill up until no space was left which was manageable if you had a tool that flushed the ram from time to time

>i knew licence keys by memory because i had to reinstall it everytime
Same. My 98 key is so deeply burned into my memory, I still remember it despite not needing it since 2003.

I've opened this thread to see 17yo memes and I'm not disappointed.

welp, gnash didn't work as well as i'd hoped
realtime it's very choppy, and dumping it a file just doesn't quite sync with the audio
it's quite unfortunate, as it does have better picture quality than the official player

still better than the old youtube video though

p.fuwafuwa.moe/zdtjpi.mkv

>typing fckgw in search bar and google will show the rest

but that's the start of the infamous pre-release xp gold key
i knew the whole thing at one point

I had to manage a small classroom network of ~30 machines all running ME. Anyone who says it was even remotely OK or tolerable is full of shit.
If Sup Forums was a thing back then, they'd be shilling the shit out of 2k. It was an absolute pleasure to run compared to 9x garbage.

cause it wasn't win 98 nor w2k