Is there a point on learning c anymore?

is there a point on learning c anymore?

Is there a point on being a faggot anymore?

Only if you respect yourself as a programmer, otherwise you can Use Rust, JS, C++, D...

Learn English first :^)

Only if you want to make money. If you want to stay in your Mom's basement, you should learn meme languages like Scheme, Haskell, Rust instead.

Is there a point on learning the past since all of that already happened anyway?

Ask this same question to yourself and you'll find the answer.

No. C is shit that leaks memory. You should learn Rust instead, the programmin language you will fall in love with!!! The creator of Rust is such a genius! I wish I were xis boybriend.

why do people hate rust so much

It's good as an educational tool. The primitives of C are the primitives of every computer.

But unless you're writing microcontroller software, don't learn it to use it.

Because its userbase consists entirely of sanctimonious cunts.

>C leaks memory
No it doesn't.

Firstly this is Sup Forums, for every programming language you will find a lot of people talking shit about it. This is not so bad, because it allows you to really read about the advantages and disadvantages.

Second reason is the social justice warrior attitude of the Rust comunity. Like I said before, Sup Forums is no hug box.

Next reason is that some Rust fanboys used to talk shit about C, which angered C fanboys.

Last but not least is Rust competing with C and C++, so natrually a lot of people who like C/C++ try to ridicule Rust to reduce cognitive dissonance.

No, there are pointers on c to learn.

void DoNothing() {
while( malloc( 1 ) )
{
// nothing
}
}
C leaks memory. Fucking piece of shit freetard language.

What is Valgrind..?

Also you might consider removing your worthless chromosomes form the gene pool.

its because rust is a bad language, you may as well tell people to learn Haskell if you're going to shill rust because at least Haskell does some things well.

Somehow I have the feeling that you don't know anything about Rust..

But I'd really like to hear why you dont like Rust.

BTW I'm not shilling, just explaining.
Personally I think C is a good programming language.

No

You cant use valgrind for a kernel

Depends on what your goals are.

If you're a solo dev looking to shit out apps as fast as possible for profit, no. C is still the second most used programming language on the planet professionally, would be 1st if it wasn't for 2 billion Pajeets.

yes, because C is almost a subset of C++

Because it's hard to learn

People hate things they don't understand

Because rust shills vomit their opinions everywhere, without first educating themselves on the area. See Rust Evangelism Taskforce pushing rust for embedded when there's 0 verification tools available for it. Rust itself isn't bad, but it isn't anything exceptional either. It's a good pick for applications where you can't afford gc but don't actually care about safety.

bait detected

You're the reason people aren't switching to Rust.
Fuck you assholes, it's almost like you want the language to remain in obscurity to maintain "muh sekrit club"

>Haskell
>Segmentation fault: The language

I learned C on my university course and in a few months I'm starting an internship where I'll be mostly working with C. So, if you're asking if there are jobs in C these days, then yes. Otherwise, just learn it if you feel like it and don't if you don't.

6 GBps

Been learning C for a while now so this interests me. How long had you been learning before you got the internship?

Give him a break. Proper preposition usage is often idiomatic and hard to guess. For example, why do we say that someone's waiting "in line" at the store, and not "on line"? This is true of most languages. I'm actually a native English speaker, but I think I must've had a stroke or something, because now sometimes I'll use the wrong preposition, or I'll make something plural when it should be singular, or I'll use the wrong article, etc. Basically, I've started making grammatical mistakes that a native English speaker shouldn't make, and it fucking sucks.

I started programming nearly 4 years ago, but I only started doing stuff in C around the October that just passed, as part of some second-year university coursework.

Outside of that, I'm not actually too well-practiced with C (and I told the company this, so don't go thinking I bullshitted my way into the job), but I think they hired me anyway because the job is to do with embedded systems, and I told them before how I've done things like writing a game for the Sega Master System in Z80 Assembly, so they probably figured that I can get the hang of low-ish level programming pretty well. I'm currently going through K&R C to get some more practice before I start, though.

I have a lot less experience than you and am not at/going to university, so my chances are probably lower of scoring an entry-level position like that. I really envy that you made a Master System game though, homebrew was one of the reasons I got into programming to begin with.

>muh sjws

>c

char *s = "You retarded, user?";

Only if you care about making programs in which you know what you're doing and which don't suck up useless resources, so yes.
It's also true that you can do the same in C++ (and it's a shame that manual memory management isn't supported by basically any other modern language) but as bloated as C++ is it's better to come from a C background so you know how to do things in a simple and clean way before getting sucked in the clusterfuck that C++ is.

Are there moar of these?

Any point to learning the basics before going pro?

>C
>basics

low-level doesn't mean easy to understand, nor does it mean useful.

this is the type of autistic faggotry that keeps us all underpaid and undersexed.

we say that someone's waiting "in line" at the store, and not "on line"

That's wrong though.

int main()
while( malloc( 2 ) )
{
// nothing
}
}

leaks even more memory

garbage language

Not to forget underloved.

Actually, in a lot of English-speaking areas, people say "in line." In other areas they say "on line." The point I was trying to make was that there's no reason why "in line" makes more sense than "on line", it's just that in some areas people say "in line" and in others people say "on line."

And in general, knowing what preposition to use is not always obvious. Sometimes there are multiple prepositions that might seem correct to a non-native speaker, when only one of them is grammatically correct.

Only if
>you want to maintain legacy trash
or
>want to know the capabilities of the common but limited ABI

Macros defining functions with a given type.

Next non-argument against C, please.

I totally got what you were driving to. I'm a native (US) English speaker too and spend a lot of time thinking about the bits of our grammar that are idiomatic and probably difficult for non-speakers to learn. I was just trying to start an argument with my post. "On line" actually is the norm at New York state though.

>t. never had to debug 15 nested macros
keep fizzbuzzing

>error prone text replacement garbage that barely works vs superior symbolic solution the compiler can optimize far better
>non-argument

There is no escaping c. It's everywhere.

Yes, it's a fantastic and necessary primer to learning C++.

You can usually tell from the c-code what the disassembled machine code will look like. The more abstractions you have, the harder it will be to know what is actually going on. C has very few abstractions, you can still nest 15 macros though and make things incomprehensible. I think this is the one true advantage c has that other languages will struggle to compete with.

>debugging functions you have formally proven with Hoard logic
Hahahaha codemonkeys.

Fuck off to finish writing TAOCP, Donald.

fuck off normie