What's the point with 64 bit architecture?

what's the point with 64 bit architecture?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>(you)
Google it.

Having >4GB of RAM. No, PAE won't let you use >4GB per application.

What's the point with you having a penis when you never get it wet?

i'm a girl

Post toes.

>what's the point with 64 bit architecture?
Applications being able to address more than 4GB of memory.

For a lot of applications there is no point to 64bit. It can reduce performance and increase memory usage, but in both cases not by significant amounts. However, if you are working with applications that need a lot of resources available then that's where you need to use 64bit.

Also, OSes definitely need to be 64bit nowdays because 4GB of RAM system wide just doesn't cut it.

In the context of a torrent client, it'll run hash checks a little faster and that's about it. At least on x86, because extra registers.

128-bit bus

what's better for an internet browser?

32-bit is always more resource-efficient.

64-bit software on a 64-bit hardware is actually faster than 32-bit software on a 64/32-bit hardware.
Just because it processes information in 64bits instead of 2x32bits or 1x32bits.

even if i have a 64 bit hardware?

It doesn't really matter. 64-bit will have a longer support life.

You do have 64 bit hardware. All processors for I think a decade have supported both 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode. The size of a pointer does not affect performance but does affect memory usage: pointers are twice as large for 64-bit.

Application limit in 32 bit operation system is 2gb per process not 4.

>The size of a pointer does not affect performance
It does though, benchmarks even on a system with 2GB of RAM show that 64-bit software on a 64-bit OS has an edge over 32-bit software on a 32-bit OS even on the same 64-bit hardware.

So what evidence do you have to illustrate that the difference in performance is caused by pointer size and not by something else?

>you might experience increased memory usage compared to the 32-bit version

...good?

No, that's just how things normally work on Windows. XP and later allow 4GB 32-bit applications if the developer adds special support for it.

What evidence do you have that it is something else?
Also if it's universal on every system with any software, what difference does it make, the only conclusion is that it is indeed faster.

the real question is why do phones need 64bit?

my friends' op3t has 6G ram
i guess you could argue why a phone would need 6G ram, and i have no idea, i run android 7.1.2, the latest, on my phone, and i only use about a third of its 2G ram

what we need is more usage of x32, even on my desktop, only a small handful of programs actually go over 4G ram usage, everything else could be x32

if you're not familiar with it, x32 is basically the Best of Both Worlds(tm), 32bit pointers/"footprint", but all the features of amd64 (this is an x86/amd64 thing)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI

64 bit can move the following values/address sizes
8 bit - al register
16 bit - ax register
32 bit - eax register
64 bit - rax register

It only takes one register to store memory addresses above 4gb (2**32) on 64 bit. Takes more on 32 bit.

Makes it easier to have memory above 4gb. Sure it's theoretically possible on 32 bit...it's just simple on 64 and as 64 offers no disadvantages...why not just use 64bit?

multitasking

phone apps are tiny, though
at least the ones i use

wrong
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

>User-mode virtual address space for each 32-bit process 2 GB

>Up to 3 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE and 4GT

Videos, photos and webpages aren't though.

no, which is why i use as much as a third of that 2G, like i said

Android uses more ram if you have more in your phone. Of course, it also works faster. I currently have 3G out of 6 used, and i don't even have any tabs open.

how much do i need "in my phone"? if you're talking about installed apps, i have 81 installed (f-droid, no gapps)

If you are okay with your current performace, you don't need more. But I wouldn't recommend buying a phone with less 4G of ram now. Also memory usage in settings can lie to you, picrelated.

well in that case, still, most phones dont need 64 bit...

ALL devices need 64bit. Even if our devices use 2gb ram. So what? amiright???

phone apps generally use garbage collected memory which needs significantly more memory to be efficient

mm, about half used with the browser running
i don't use a web browser on my phone much, and it's by far the heaviest thing on here
i figured osmand would be pretty heavy, too, but it apparently only uses ~160M ram, despite using locally-rendered vector maps

Hardware advances faster than software so the capabilities are there before programmers use them. The more complex the program the more ram it will use. Hardware etching is done so that programmers have room to grow and not be like the old days where people struggled to make their code efficient. Lazy programmers = bloated pc and hardware

>Hardware advances faster than software so the capabilities are there before programmers use them

Software gets slower at a faster rate, than hardware gets faster actually.

4G is the minimum you should buy, having 6 or 8 is still beneficial.

Android uses ram for caching to speed up opening things, "free -m" shows the ram used for caching, not just ram used by running processes.

>Android uses ram for caching to speed up opening things
that's something linux does, called the page cache
notice the yellow fill in htop, yellow is cached data, my ram is completely utilized

as for loading apps not in the page cache, this phone uses flash storage, it loads shit faster than my desktop already

Irrelevant, you can be a girl and still have a penis.

Programs with many asm codes such as x264 are quite faster on x64 because of increased registers.

At the rate they're going, 128-bit.

You can work with integers and things that can be represented as integers larger than 2^32, which is only some 4 billion, without having to load/store multiple times.

>Being this plebeian
I seriously hope you guys don't do this. Unused memory is wasted memory.

>Unused memory is wasted memory.
i am using it all

How come MS is still making a 32 bit version of Windows?

It is not like people have X86 only CPUs anymore.

Some cheapo Atom CPUs don't support 64bit.

Minimum system requirements are also low enough that it will still work on a presumably significant enough number of computers.

[citation needed]

Theres many different parts of a CPU 64bits or 32 bits could refer to. Such as the physical address size, which determines the amount of memory that can be "talked to". There's the word size, which refers to the length of instructions. This has the biggest impact when it comes to arithmetic, higher word size = better precision. This is why you often get CPUs than can have 128, 256, or even 512 registers, just for floating point or vector arithmetic. Then there's data bus size, which really isn't relevant to modern CPUs since they use pretty sophisticated on chip networks with a bunch of switches and stuff and a verity of busses of different lengths connecting everything together, but it basically determines how much I/O the CPU can address. On some processors, all of these are completely different sizes, for example ARM v7 has a 32 bit word size (with one or two 16 bit instructions I think) but can support up to 40bits of physical address.

Memory mapped IO.

> No, PAE won't let you use >4GB per application.
But PAE will let you use more than 4GB total.....
Unless you use Windows. In which case Microsoft artificially caps it to 4GB anyway, even with PAE enabled.

> Application limit in 32 bit operation system is 2gb per process not 4.
This is an artificial limitation of Windows. In any other OS, it's 4GB.

Feminine penis is still a penis.

>Unless you use Windows. In which case Microsoft artificially caps it to 4GB anyway, even with PAE enabled.
server editions can use up to 64G in 32bit/PAE

Basically, Microsoft charges you thousands to remove artificial limitations.

this is news?

It will be to some people who think those artificial limitations are technical limitations.

fair enough, it's been a while, but back when windows was all i knew, i used to assume limitations and faults with windows were just limitations and faults with computers in general
didn't know any better

Certain drivers are also not compatible with more than 4GB in 32bit mode.