Why do people feel compelled to upgrade hardware?

Why do people feel compelled to upgrade hardware?

If you buy a computer or a phone and it's fast today, it doesn't mean it won't be fast 5 years later. It just means there will be faster computers and phones.

I am suspicious by default about hardware discussion on Sup Forums. I think it's 95% gamers, who should really go to If you use the correct software, there's no reason why a 10 year old computer still isn't perfectly fine today.

Look nigger, 3D rendering takes time and I'm not gonna sit there with 10 year old hardware and wait 10 years until my rendering is done.

That's a fringe use case.

Most people here aren't 3D modelers.

Look nigger, don't tell me what to do with my money

You're free to be a class-cucked spook, but Sup Forums is mainly a board for people who are to intelligent for the same trap as you. Next time post about your inane pursuits on a certified reactionary board like

But upgrading nowadays often means that you save only fraction of a second comparing to the old hardware.

And since there is no buy in for Cpu and mobo, you essentially pay twice - one price for old cpu + second for new.

Personally I don't see benefit.

Why not use a car from 1945

>there's no reason why a 10 year old computer still isn't perfectly fine today.
Web browsers and shitty misuse of JavaScript on everything are valid reasons tbqh, just to name a few.

Most people aren't 3D modelers.
Most people aren't programmers.
Most people don't run a shitton of VMs.
Most people don't convert videos 24/7.
If you sum all those people, maybe they will be a majority.

Complexity of applications grows.
I am at my grampas house now and guess what? Celeron D cant browse moderm interwebs for shit.

There is a demonstrable difference in safety and fuel efficiency while the technique of driving has remained largely unchanged. Being the best driver in the world will still leave you sucking gas. You are completely at the mercy of hardware with automobiles.

Computers are not like this. If you can write good software, "outdated" hardware works just fine. Hell you don't even have to write it. You just need to know what to use.

Programmers shouldn't have good hardware.
If you rely on hardware to ensure your code runs efficiently, you aren't a programmer; you're a computer nigger.
If you hit compile without thinking about what your code does, you aren't a programmer; you're a computer nigger.

>If you buy a computer or a phone and it's fast today, it doesn't mean it won't be fast 5 years later.
>i know nothing about computers: the post

Blame computer niggers.

Counterpoint: my computer is 5 years old (macbook pro 2011) and it's still super fast.

4GB of RAM and an i5 is positively luxurious compared to any other computer I've owned before. Why should I buy something else?

>cuckbook pro
Well, there's your answer. Cuckbooks are just glorified facebook machines and you don't need 16 cores and 32GB of RAM to browse a web site, especially as optimized as facebook.

You don't need 16 cores and 32GB RAM for anything.

Admit it: you're a gamer computer nigger. Go back to

>You don't need 16 cores and 32GB RAM for anything.
You do, if you do actual IT related work. Gaymes these days are super optmized and can be run on literal toasters, so you also don't need an absolute beast of a machine to play something on medium settings.

Simulations and video rendering need cores and RAM. But if you just want to browse facebook then you won't need it.

Why are you using your personal computer for IT work?
Are you that class-cucked that your company won't even spring for one?

>Why are you using your personal computer for IT work?
Because I like my job? Why wouldn't I want to get shit done at home too?

>there's no reason why a 10 year old computer still isn't perfectly fine today.
blown capacitors, power consumption, heat output, chip degradation causing BSOD
hardware degrades user, a 10 year old computer that still functions can still be viable, but software is being made with modern hardware in mind, meaning you're stuck using outdated or worse software even if your components still function.

replacing those individual and broken parts can sometimes cost more than simply buying a new pc altogether

>replacing those individual and broken parts can sometimes cost more than simply buying a new pc altogether
Thanks to capitalism. In any other society things would be built to last.

10 year old PCs can't render +1080p60fps YouTube videos without frame drops.

You are more than welcome to move to your commie heavens like Venezuela and China.

People love to wasting their money for "latest" products and pretending their choice is superior.

nozomi is so f*cking hot

>If you use the correct software, there's no reason why a 10 year old computer still isn't perfectly fine today.
if you all you do is stuff you did 10 years ago, sure.

My current desktop has a core2 duo and gtx 660ti, is that old enough to justify upgrading OP?

But my rig is almost 9 years old.

My 7 year old desktop still performs gorillions of times better than any phone/tablet/laptop and it serves me perfectly for any purpose I use it (even games). I upgraded the GPU to a 1050Ti recently because the old one died, and a couple of years ago I replaced one HDD, but the rest is still the same. Monitor and keyboard are like 10-12 years old and work perfectly.
So yes, I'm with you.

It's called JavaScript

It's worth it for productivity
If you're a programmer, editor, or doing any design work it's necessary
But yes, most people don't need it if they're just playing games / browsing facebook

No, op is quite right one of my machines is a "fast" workstation from 9 years ago. I's still fine for most tasks. Obviously it runs fallout3 just fine.

My c2d macbook pro from 10 years ago turned into a dog after 4 years though.

This is true too... that 10 year old workstation i talked about has shitty swelling caps that will give out any day now.

>REEEEEE EVERYONE STOP HAVING MONEY AND BE POOR LIKE ME OR LE FUCK OFF TO nice anime pic tho

Sure, you keep on being a slave of your need for more. Keep on working as an idiot.

You buy hardware to run software. Software develops over time, and tends to become more demanding. The speed of hardware is relative to the demands of the software. A computer that's fast now won't be fast forever.

Not that complicated, is it OP? Delete your thread.

truly the hero we need

I think you're just butthurt about being poor.

Why think everything through when the computer does it for you

>2017
>needing more ram than 256MB
Fuck you faggots, Pentium 4-M is fine

yeah like all those amazing Soviet automobiles that were so efficient they cost less than the materials they were made from

but not the one we deserve

Let me guess, you live with your parents.