ITT: Useless technologies that are widely in use

ITT: Useless technologies that are widely in use

>useless

i aint scanning that shit

Why? What could it possibly have encoded in them that would be "bad"? Are you some kind of retard who thinks your phone will magically turn you into the cops if "illegal text" is displayed on the screen or something?

Fucking neo-Sup Forums.

It's useful as bar codes but more compact. Why hate on it?

URL to federal honey pot

Seriously though has anyone ever even used this tech? I've been in the industry for 20 years, work for a massive saas company, I don't even know how to use the damn things. I assume I need an app but not once could I ever be bothered to use one. 2010s version of the cuecat or cue mouse whatever the duck it was called

>URL to federal honey pot

Does your phone automatically navigate to all URLs whenever they appear on screen? Come the fuck on.

As far as the "use": I have seen countless QR codes used on countless products. Usually it is a "more info" URL. As far as using them, all you need is a barcode scanner app, of which there must be thousands for Android.

>QR
>Useless
God damn you faggots are stupid.
>Yea barcodes are superior to this technology in every single way dude. What do you mean "20 character limit is bad"?
>What do you mean literally every single factory utilizes them for sorting, identification and shit? Like honestly nobody actually uses that lmao!

We should use QR instead of barcodes at POS

I was contracted to developed a QR code lib. The lib was for a vehicle computer with a rugged printer not actually capable of printing 2D images or barcodes (some ugly hacks were needed). The application was ancient and to keep their cash cow going they needed QR codes on the receipts that could be scanned with a fleet management application on a phone.

Because literally nobody scan them on purpose, it's ads 98% of the time and it's a waste of time

Yes I guess there is a lot of industry use. It's the consumer application that's retarded. I do remember my 2fa mobile app for work uses qr codes on your browser to first set it up.

>"We need to put more ads out there"
>"I know, let's put cryptic QR codes everywhere that barely 1% of the people that see them will scan them"
>"Oh yes, this is guaranteed revenue already!"

As for the rest of your post...
>literally nobody scan them on purpose
I understand that using "literally" correctly can be hard but, do you walk around with your scanner app open all the time and moan when it does its job?

Yes, OP, I sure love typing URLs and SSIDs/passphrases on my shitty touchscreen keyboard.
You absolute retard.

>URL to federal honey pot
>Does your phone automatically navigate to all URLs whenever they appear on screen? Come the fuck on.

This QR is illegal

I scan it. What is it?

just a bunch of numbers

Most qr reading apps do automatically navigate to the url in the code

Hah! Illegal primes, wow, that's a callback.

>An illegal prime is a prime number that represents information whose possession or distribution is forbidden in some legal jurisdiction. One of the first illegal primes was found in 2001. When interpreted in a particular way, it describes a computer program that bypasses the digital rights management scheme used on DVDs.
this is some funny shit

don't you mean useful technologies that never get used?

top jej
>american jurisdiction

is english your second or third language?

>do you belong in the 95% of world population?
Yes.

you could at least do us the justice of learning your vocaulary, then.

>impiying

Aren't there QR code to plain text url preview services?

Oh yeah let me research how your retarded system works just to be perfectly correct in my shitpost next time.
Were no judges involved in ruling a fucking number out as illegal? Surely someone was sued over ((("""copyright infringement"""))) and said it's just a number. Then a law was made banning this specific number.
And it can just be circumvented if you add a little pointless code somewhere in between and the final number will change drastically anyway.

Oh boy, hope I'll never have to work with you. Industry uses them as ID tags all the time, as they're compact and encryptable.
For personal use I'd prefer good OCR with a suitable font though, it's not like we haven't had machine readable fonts for almost 40 years.

That's not how the law works
DMCA prohibits distributing computer code that circumvents copy protection, period. As long as the number encodes such a program, what specific number it is doesn't matter.

QRs could have been useful if brands like Apple and Samsung included a reader on their camera app by default and websites like YouTube and Facebook used them to share links or to just open the app on the exactly post/video that's on the PC screen. I personally use them to share websites and some small amounts of text between my PC and my phone.

And again...
>american jurisdiction
m-muh copyright

>I hope you guys don't seriously scan this.
>mfw it worked

I agree. OP has it backwards. QR codes are very useful, but the problem is that they aren't widely used at all.
When an average person sees one on a poster, I don't think they know what they're looking at.
Kik and Snapchat use similar technology and nobody seems to have a problem using those.

I find QR codes useful, why they can show you the way to important websites. :^)

>using the smiley face with the carrot nose

ditto

People will get used to QR Codes. Just be patient user.

kek

>a qr code to a qr code reader
You are a smart boy.

>certain combinations of black and white squares are illegal

That's what you get when you take something that was originally made for manufacturing car parts and give it to the general public with no changes and no consideration for tech illiteracy.
I remember QR codes actually being quite popular for a couple years, but now that they're gone they're probably gone forever. I see "SCAN WITH SHAZAM FOR A SPECIAL OFFER" more often than I see QR codes in this day and age.

>more often than I see QR codes

prove me wrong

QR codes can contain commands. My roommates made one that you scan with your phone to connect you to our WiFi.

I see QR codes all over the place in Japan.
Probably their way of getting around unfamiliarity with latin characters for things like urls especially.