Why do you pirate

Why do you pirate software and media?

Because I don't give a fuck, corporations can go fuck themselves.

Why?

What have bug corporations done to you?

because it's free and convenient and because a lot of the content i enjoy is not available in my country

Because I can.

>posts a picture of Stallman
>asks a question using a corporate weasel-word he's been at pains to discourage

because intellectual property has no philosophical basis

>software/media made in West
>live in poorfagistan in East
>5 times lower pay if not more than in West with a similar job
>prices are the same in both places
Fuck that.

I only pirate media, because I like to be entertained and don't support DRM.

If I can buy the music in DRM-free format from an ethical site, I buy it. Bandcamp is a godsent place. My country also has a site where you can buy music of local artists in mp3 and fucking FLAC for a cost about 40 US cents.

If it's only available from iTunes, google play music, amazon and streaming services then I rev up those torrents.

Because I'm free.

He is a fat autist who eats foot fungi and had sexual relations with a parrot

His wishes are irrelevant

Free as in beer or free as in speech?

He is the greatest philosopher we've got these days.

Man, I haven't played software side I was in high school. Between free alternatives and a lack of interest/need for expensive software, there just hasn't been a reason to open myself to the kind of malware commonly hidden in cracks. As for media, I just can't justify posting fucking too much a month just to watch a handful of shows on less than ten channels. If cable companies unfucked themselves and let me take JUST the channels I want for $1 per channel per month or less, then maybe I'd change my mind.

More money to spend on things I can't get for free

because it's free

He's an autistic manchild screeching about not getting things his way.

This is basically just evidence you never read anything he wrote.

I just do whatever's easier for the specific instance. Software can usually be bought online no problem, so I haven't pirated any software which I could purchase that way in recent years. Movies, on the other hand, are somewhat more difficult to obtain here, with services like Netflix still not having full reach where I live. I could go out of my way and buy some kind of DVD from overseas, perhaps, but is it worth the time wasted? Eh, probably not. Generally: I'll buy your shit if you sell it to me, but if you don't, fuck you.

easier than buying it

dont like downloading DRM to use software

I don't. I think I've done it twice in 10 years.
>what about chinese cartoons or tv shows?
I stream -_-

Isn't that the basis of all philosophy?

I live in a 3rd world country.

Anyone else doesn't really pirate software anymore (just media)? Other than the malware risk, I've felt like I've found a freeware or open source alternative to any paid software that I would need.

This.

In case of video games I pirate them first to see if I can run it on my system and if the game is any good. I usually buy the good ones if not absurdly expensive.

The only software I'd consider paying for is MalwareBytes(3 licenses for wife and son) and PerfectDisk. PD's defrag is best I've seen along with good partition tools that only a live session of gparted can come close to.

is this guy "moot"

There once was a report that actually said as much that pirating increased sales of media.

cause it shouldn't be a crime, are you telling me that all spotify and youtube content is not piracy? why should i care then, it'll be boring cause people wouldn't upload if they seize every media platform

That's Richardu Stallmanu, big fat faggot freetard founder of GANOO+Loonix.

No. He might have done some good stuff, but his philosophy is flawed as fuck.

Because I got no fuckin' money or time to spend going to the cinema or buy movies.

I don't even watch the latest movies as a lot of my collection is old or kinda modern, streaming services can be crap unless they offer DTS or AC3 encoding so my hand-me-down sound system can pick up the signal.

I used to pirate games on pc when I was a console gamer, now that I switched to pc I buy them for like nothing thanks to key resellers, and I like t collect them on steam.

I only pirate anime because if i'd have to buy them now I'd live under a bridge. (One piece bluray, 4 eps, 50euro. No thanks)

He has nothing to do with linux
You can run linux without gnu userland or even the gcc compiler

>Why do you pirate software and media?
Because I find the scheme of intellectual property (and artificial scarcity in general) profoundly immoral, and will not support it, financially or otherwise.

Well, for me for games it did. Music not so much. Video practically none.

Who doesn't want free shit?

I have other things to spend my shillings on.

1.) I can immediately start streaming it on my android smartphone.

2.) It's free.

3.) If the internet disconnects I can still watch what I already downloaded.

4.) It's free

5.) Fuck you.

6.) Did I mention that it's free?

This. Also I don't have money.

Because I can.

Because I live in Russia and cannot afford to buy all the software and media production I need.

Because, unless you live in California, it is literally a patriotic thing to do. Think about it not as "stealing" but as "not wasting my real money". You can buy resources, tools, hardware, labor, better food, - anything, the real stuff, something that actually exists. Media does not exist. You are all just giving your money for nothing and it will never trickle down back to you.

/thread

I basically stopped. I find half the shit I pirate I never use since there is no incentive to use it.

Very interesting

My follow-up: why are there so many posters who do it for the financial savings, or do it because they cannot afford to purchase software/media the normal way?

How do they have a computer and an internet connection? Why are they here?

I would like to know more about this

And also private property in general.

because it's not free, if it was free I wouldn't pirate it

Hello communist,

Why do you feel this way

If I can easily obtain them it doesn't make sense to pay for them, even if they are priced at 1 cent.
>b-but you are stealing!
developers are not losing anything, they are just not gaining anything from me.

Free as in beer or speech?

i pirate tv shows because i'm not watching fucking commercials

>software
No. Non libre software is a form of digital slavery, i refuse to use it.
>media
Let's think about it this way:
Thievery is borrowing something without owner's permission.
But if someone BOUGHT something and then AGREED to share it with me via e.g. bittorrent, why should I refuse?
Also i strongly dislike mainstream digital marketplaces. I prefer supporting favorite artists directly using donate button of bandcamp or whatever.

This. Several times I have gone to vendors with money and it couldn't even be special-ordered.

It's not like they do it out of spite, maybe they have better uses for that money. I don't live in US and prefer to spend my money locally, supporting small/medium-sized businesses. There is no ethical or economical reason for me to feed some random oversea media giant.

>I would like to know more about this.

I too would like to discuss any plans anyone might have for illegal acts. Out of curiosity. Fellow hip kids, where does one purchase narcotics in your hood?

Meh. It will took too long to explain.
Basically, because if we'll try to absolutize idea of private property, we'll obtain gazillions of nonsense conditions such as need for processing infinite amount of transactions, infinite computing power of human brain etc.
There's no way world where everything is privatized can be a thing.
But if we'll instead try to absolutize idea of public ownership, we'll just get normal world in their natural state, where air, land, water, just everything belongs to everyone.
It was a thing for a millions of years, and it's just the way things should be. I think so.

>It was a thing for a millions of years,
So were dinosaurs. They are dead now.

Yes. So would be our civilization, unless we become the sustainable, balanced, joyful and healthy society.

Maybe we were never meant to last :(

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

Why do you masturbate? There's your answer. Now go fuck yourself, kike.

because it's free.

I don't know about pirated software, but pirated movies are
>cheaper
Obviously, they're free, but you also don't have to deal with getting Jewed somehow. For example, late fees for physical movie rentals or having to "own" a file you downloaded from Apple with DRM which you don't really own.
>quicker to acquire
- no driving to Redbox or Best Buy, or even waiting 24 hours for next day shipping from Amazon, and
>better
- no sitting through previews or FBI warnings, you can do whatever you like with the file, a scratched disk doesn't make the movie unwatchable.

I remember when Blockbuster was still around, my dad would rent a movie and return it late sometimes only to get hit with late fees nearly exceeding the cost of buying the movie. And when he didn't pay late fees on time, they would contract out debt collection agencies to come and get their $7-12 late return fees. It was a seriously corrupt racket and people of my generation will never forget that.

I only pirate tv-series/movies. there is really no other way! Yes there's things like netflix and amazon instant video but in my country the episodes are released years after US release and the number of shows / movies you can choose from are way to small. if there was a similar offer like spotify just for movies/tv-series I'd never pirate again. just look at amazon instant video, most of the videos you have to buy anyway, even if you have amazon prime. that's just a poor joke. I was using netflix once but in 2 months I watched all tv-series worth watching or I have seen it before. then I got KODI and streamed all the content since it was not illegal in EU but recent legal changes made it illegal, so what the fuck should I do? if I can get assfucked for streaming I can go ahead and download anyway. the publishers of tv-shows brought this on themselves by not allowing watching legally the latest releases in a central place.
it is defenetly possible to do so, as you can see how it's done with music

I don't 'pirate', I download stuff from the internet. In the 00-s I have even been paying for it.

Most companies want to fuck us over, they aren't good guys. I also don't have a lot of money to spend.
I will buy a game, or app every once in a while but can't afford to spend hundreds.

This

>tried netflix
>dont have half the shit i want to watch
>susbtitle placement is so bad on multiple shows that its laughable

I can get everything I want with pirating and it's all centralized and the subtitles are way superior

the only good thing about netflix is the part where they save the last timestamp you watch something so you can continue watching them on another device but that is botnet material

I dont because i dont own a boat.

i'm poor. anyone who claims anything else as the primary reason is lying and doesn't want to admit to being poor.

>but can't afford to spend hundreds.
Perhaps if you spent less time consuming useless media and more time trying to improve your life that would be different.

because i can
because no one can stop me
because it makes up for things i've lost

I have very little money

Free as in Linux

Because I disagree entirely with the concept of intellectual property.

This is why i love Sup Forums more than Sup Forums . On Sup Forums all the whiteknights and big company shills were on to me like beavers in a log pile for illegal downloading.

But how do you justify downloading software for free that the creators want you to pay for?

Free shit, nigga

I only pirate stuff that I can't buy for one reason or another. That would be content that hasn't been released here or rare content that's either impossible to find or extremely expensive.

I only use fully Free (Libre) software, so I don't need to justify anything.

I'm a self-entitled white American.

Is that the Arch Linux guy?

I don't have money because im a NEET.

The question was why do you pirate software and media. Pirate meaning illegally download. If you use free software, then why reply to OP?And why mention your disagreement with IP if you don't pirate anyway?you aren't pirating anything in that case

>and media
>media
Learn to read, I was replying to the media portion of the question.

which you didn't specify in the slightest, and software is still bound by intellectual property, therefore you're broad statement can apply to both. Learn how to talk to people. Waifus dont count

because its free and im not getting in trouble for it.

You are correct. I apologize for the errors of my ways.

Also "waifus" and relations are bloat that you do not need in your life.

I bought Screenflow for 120 bucks in 2011.
Wanted to install it on Mac OS Sierra.
Did not let me, said this version was incompatible.
Downloaded the newest version of Screenflow.
Isntallied it, did not let me enter the license key.

This is why I pirate software.

Since you are a reasonable user in a sea of retards, no harm done. And agreed

If people sold high quality DRM free files I would buy them. They don't so I don't. The few exceptions are Band Camp, GOG, and MST3K Episodes off of the RiffTrax website. I am also not looking to buy a license I am looking to buy a product.

This isn't to say money has never been a factor but when I have money I tend to buy what I have downloaded if I can. To be honest if it wasn't for piracy I wouldn't be half the man I am today. The art I have been exposed to has changed me into a more well rounded and charismatic person.

Unrelated but something I still think is important. Due to all of the media I have been exposed to and showed friends I have seen them buy products they never would have even known about. Giving people an option to pay after the fact is probably the best way for companies to make money in this modern era of the interwebs.

So i can post in Sup Forums about my opinions like it really is my blog.

I'm so glad i've got a safe space to share with my epic pirate bros, fuck capitalism.

was with you until you started mentioning blogs and safe spaces. Fuck off you pathetic little wannabe skiddie reddit scrub, don't disgrace this board with your fucking impotent Beta shite again

Kek has blessed you user, trump is at this very moment sending tomahawk missiles to your targets location.

> talking about and sharing personal experiences on the topic of file sharing on a technology forum is blog posting
> file sharing isn't an important issue to talk about given how it's the reason companies pass draconic laws ruining our tech
> you shouldn't kill yourself
> summerposting in spring
3/10 got me to respond, enjoy your (you)

So he's bombing his own country then? Can't say im surprised

Well the joke is that he could and then also be in no legal trouble for doing so.

you say its a joke, its beyond disturbing that he has that power, and more importantly, that people want him to have it