Other urls found in this thread:

pcmag.com/news/353606/keylogger-discovered-in-hp-audio-driver
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is it Where is it

how it effect me

no big deal because guess what, windows is an everything logger

no big deal because guess what, intel chips are everything loggers

no big deal because I use gentoo

HP software has always been fucking horrid. I always disable their menu on startup when I'm working on these machines. If you own one, your best off downloading a Windows image from Microsoft and formatting your machine to get rid of any trace of their "value added" garbage.

link the article fuckface

no big deal because guess what i won't even try anymore

On open source hardware?

pcmag.com/news/353606/keylogger-discovered-in-hp-audio-driver

yes

fuck that shit i need that shit

Not him, but i use gentoo on 2009 hardware, so there's less risk and cero "trusted hardware" crap than only means "don't trust the user"

>2017
>still uses winshit
ISHYGDDT

hit hit hit

It's not malicious, doesn't contact home, nothing to hide etc even if it did, moving on.

>It's not malicious, doesn't contact home,
Yes, but it stores the data in an unsecured location that can easily be accessed by malicious software.
>nothing to hide etc even if it did
Please post your online banking username and password here, then.

Don't be a knob and catch malware in the first place, you get what you get.

Also you're just some random stranger on a shit imageboard, you're not my ISP, my bank, my insurance agency or the police so I don't have to give you shit.

Youll need hardware from 1994, anything after is compromised

pedos need to die

What's the most powerful pre-botnet CPU?

Apple Macbook doesn't have this problem.

>there are no keyloggers for OSX
How do I get as delusional as you?

bound to be the death of me

>mfw

Librebooted motherboard with an OC'd Core 2 Quad

What does Lincoln Park have to do with HP?

Tl;dr
>hp audio driver hooks into keyboard API watching for keystrokes to adjust volume
>negligent and incompetent dev left his debugging enabled which wrote all keystrokes to a log file

>a log file
a log file which has permissions set allowing any process to read it.

So basically default windows permissions then

probably. still an important point. a bit reminiscent of the sony rootkit, which let anyone create a file with certain characters that would be completely ignored by windows kernel diagnostic utilities and antivirus.

>death shits
Something something 18 years old something

good goy

WINKEKS BTFO ONCE AGAIN

>p-pure coincidence guys please keep using ou- their services

I'll bite. How do you avoid malware user? You know it when you see it? Even if it's disguised well?

Common sense gentoo edition

get umatrix and keep everything blocked by default. you'll learn how to get things running without running every script the site wants, and you'll save yourself from any javascript fuckery. don't run .exe's, .pdf's, .scr's, .bat's, or anything that executes a script from a non-official source.

also the inevitable response is to move off of windows. with gnu/linux, you usually use trusted repositories of packages rather than installing .exe's from sites, and you can usually look at the install scripts . not that you have to most of the time, but the option is at least there.

if you're gonna stick with windows, don't fast click through installers. always press custom and disable everything you don't need. also in some cases you are fucked like in OPs post. you could not possibly see that security flaw coming. on any gnu/linux official distro repo, someone would have caught that immediately.

might as well put wincucks on permanent suicide watch

Doesn't Core 2 have Intel Management Engine? I think AMD Phenom processors are the most recent without a built in botnet.

This only adds to my hatred of HP

It might be in core 2 CPUs. But if it was it probably wouldn't be in 65nm Core 2s. Even so, it was physically removable back then. If it is I need to get to removing that from my computers both of them have Core 2 series CPUs (Q6700 and T6600)

This should result in criminal charges under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

Until people are put in fucking prison this will not stop.

>IT GOES
WAKE ME UP
BEFORE YOU GO GO

Gee, I wonder why a laptop audio driver would want to determine when you're pressing keys. Could it be to aid in noise canceling your typing?

Nah, that would make too much sense.

This retard thinks Linux is free from malware in hidden in binary blobs.

Linux is literally just like Windows event it comes to incorporate secret code from vendors.

It wouldn't have to know which key you're pressing if that was the case. The reason, as stated in the article, is to check for key combinations to change volume, mute, etc.