Thinkpads

I've been thinking of getting a Thinkpad because I fucking need myself a laptop, I'm most likely just gonna slap Linux on that bitch and do some Internet browsing, Chatting via Discord, playing low resource indie games and such, and maybe some video editing. I've looked around on Amazon and EBay and theres so many fucking models that I'm not even sure what to get.

Any help here Sup Forums?

why a thinkpad?

X220

Heard their pretty well priced and that they're reliable asf

If you're planning on only running linux then macbook might be a good choice.

Unfortunately, you'll have to suck dick every weekend afterwards. But I'd say its worth it for the excellent trackpad.

T20/T230, I would say.

/tpg/ buying guides is the way to go

not the OP but some user recommended HP EliteBook 2570p over X220.
do you have anything to say? I really want to have thinkpad but the elitebook is just better in every aspect (or isn't, dunno)

On newegg I found a refurbished i7, 500gb hdd, and 8ram for $250. Oh what a bargain.

I got mine about 4 weeks ago, love it, always carry it with me, I used to have a gayming laptop in 2016

/thread

2570p should be comparable to x230.
Anyway check out Sup Forumstpg

that's where the user told me to buy a 2370p instead of a X220.

>low resource indie games
Why would you think that? Indie devs usually don't have the resources to spend on optimization that big studious do. Even if big titles are heavy by default, you also offer a wide range of settings to degrade graphics until they're extremely lightweight.

those elitebooks carry more gpu, but they're way heavier than the x220/230.

They're okay. Once you get a battery and a new hdd or ssd you could have bought something brand new.

>X220

Don't forget the libreboot

You can put a hard drive caddy in the 2570p

Shut it. New need more people to fall for the thinkpad meme

what's that?

A stupid meme that you don't want fall fro

I have an x201t and I'm thinking of getting a dell xps 13.
Is this the right move? I love my thinkpad but getting a x220t just doesn't seem worth it since it's pretty much the same.

so, afterall, thinkpads are only meme and 2570p is objectively a better option?

got a x260 refurb and it's my baby

I wouldn't buy an old thinkpad unless you're only going to browse the internet, edit text files, and install linux.

N-no o-f-of course not. 2570p is such a piece of shit ahahahhahaha.

dude, i don't really find this funny, i'm considering buy one or another cause i need one to use while on college. Is it asking too much to just provide helpful info?

If you want real answer then there is no cons in 2570p when compared to X220. If you consider the keyboard an issue, then it has a terrible keyboard (island type), but otherwise it should be pretty gud machine.
Also there is no IPS screen available on that machine but I don't think that affects you anyway because it is such a hassle to mod on in the X220.

Chromebook pixel 1st Gen 32gb HD best choice

hmm i understand, thanks alot user...
I still don't know which one i'll buy cause 2570p are like 50% more expensive than X220's here where I live tho

The pop out disk drive can fit a hdd with a sata caddy.

Well then you should probably get x220 or if possible a Dell E6230 if you really need that 12.5" sized laptop.

The reason why thinkpad is memed about is due to their price and keyboard. Sometimes Dell or HP might be a better options if thinkpad 7 row keyboard is not a must.

!0 years ago maybe.

I have had both. what is really making me want a thinkpad is the plastic carcass. I really hate the feeling when you pass your nail on something metalic.

What laptop should I buy? Only need to run word and a web browser (im a writer who wants away from the desk)

Is battery life important to you?
I personally like the T60 keyboard and the battery life is okay (2-3 hours with chink 9-cell battery while processing text via nano)
I also think that 4:3 would be an optimal option for those kind of tasks.

Thanks. If the keyboard is solid thats the biggest issue

Pretty much if you want better egpu support and better storage options and an option to upgrade to a better cpu as some 2570p's come with a second gen core cpu. The screen is said to be dimmer than a X220 though.

>T20
>mobile pentium 3
>in current year
>T230
>literally doesnt exist
??????????