Loonix

Hello Sup Forums,
why do you use GNU/ linux distros? I wanna know why you're spending so mutch time """customizing""" your os.

Is there any other os that can do the same job, if so why arent you using it?

Huh, I really should start collecting "bait reaction" images.

I think it's gonna be necessary with big corporations increasing their control over you with the use of proprietary software.

ur a bum head
smell your own poo

no i genuinely wanna know. I am aware about the pro is a lunix distro, but why did you deside to stick to it.

Stop asking dumb questions

I don't customize my GNU/Linux distro. Unless of course you consider installing and removing packages """"customizing''''''. In that case not much, since apt is literally god sent.

I have Win 10 for games and "exclusives" (atmel studio and shit) and Xubuntu for everything else.
Pros:
*Package manager (holy shit, I miss that on Windows)
*Able to install patches whenever I want, not my system
*proper terminal
*sftp,ssh, quirky file system support out of the box or "sudo apt install " (BTW if MS "" Linux why don't they add proper EXT support to Windoze?)
*IMHO faster, especially on boot, when I see icons on the desktop I can work with full speed, where on Windows there are still drivers/shit loading
*wine usually works
Cons
*Lightdm greeter is retarded when it comes to dual monitor (xfce have problems too)
*AAA games support "let's just add wine and push it to Steam"
*drivers support (Nvidia and theirs .run installer, it was easier to reinstall whole system than to upgrade drivers this way, luckily builtin "drivers manager" works fine)
*wine is, well, wine (64bit support is [i]there[/i] but it's still shit)

Stop making threads like this.

Pros of Linux over Windows:

+Package Managers. Literally why does Windows not have this. Don't tell me the Windows Store, because that's a pile of fetid catshit and doesn't actually install an executable in a folder of your choice, instead it has its own special class of program called a "Universal App" that are shit. Installing essentially any program on Linux is just a single command line, and on certain distros, there are even GUI package managers where you just enter a password and click on the packages you want to download, just like an app store.

Consider the difference between typing "sudo apt install firefox" and then having Firefox ready, and opening Internet Explorer, going to Firefox's website, downloading an executable designed to download and install Firefox by itself, running the executable, and then having Firefox.

+A terminal worth a shit. Not only do Linux distributions have many terminal shells to choose from, terminals in Linux run scripts and programs the same way. To run the Screenfetch script, just type screenfetch. To run firefox from terminal, just type firefox, same thing. However, running from terminal is unnecessary in Linux these days, even in tiling WMs where dmenu exists.

+You can change your entire desktop environment out for a new one and Linux still works exactly the same under the hood. A desktop environment does not dictate what can be done in the operating system, rather the desktop environment is just a collection of individual programs.

+It can be modified in any way the users desire. If a great number of users hate something in a distribution, (like systemd) they can create an alternative and not worry about a proprietary company blocking their efforts.

Cons:

-A lot of the programs are shit when not enough people participate in their creation and maintenance. A lot of the programs are shit, period.

This is the price of freedom. There are going to be winners and losers.

>apt is literally god sent.
Prove it.

>why do you use GNU/ linux distros?
They are great.
>why you're spending so mutch time """customizing""" your os.
I don't
>Is there any other os that can do the same job
Meh, not for me.

Because it just werks. I have not once needed to do system restore or reinstall the operating system(barring upgrading to a newer version) or anything equally silly in the years I've used Linux. Can't say the same about Windows.

The fuck do you think you are, reddit?
No one's reading this shit, gtfo.

>stop making threads like this

why?

Why? I don't care about other people's opinion about my packet manager of choice. I suggest anyone just uses the one he/she likes.

>I expect all replies to only be off-topic, shit-tier comments no longer than one sentence.
You're on a text board, you know. Reading is kind of the point.

>Hello Sup Forums,
I use most OSes but yeah i prefer linux
> I wanna know why you're spending so mutch time """customizing""" your os.
I don't really and it's not like you can't do that well with windows
There is tons of third-party software for that
>Is there any other os that can do the same job, if so why arent you using it?
FreeBSD but i have lot's of weird hardware it would not like

because does what i want it to, or at least it's the closest to what i want it to do
>I wanna know why you're spending so mutch time """customizing""" your os.
i don't much anymore, it's already set up the way i want it to be

for me I just like it, I never had windows as my parents are apple-fags, and I didnt really like OSX that much, so I just looked up linux and decided to try Arch as my first distro.
After some tinkering I really liked it, got to know it, reinstalled a year later with only the stuff I need and my now acquiered know-how.
I actually dont know why people say its "hard to maintain or some shit"
My system literally broke 7 times in the span of 1.5 years, and everytime it was a relatively minor issue which was fixed fast.
As for "ricing", I designed it the way I like when I started and now use a color-manager / script to change some colors once I wanna see something different, but the base is always the same.
So now I have a rolling-release system that behaves and looks how I want
Dont have to spend time maintaining it as opposed to everyones idea of Arch.
I never tried Windows, and dont really need OSX for any reason, Linux works fine for me and is alot easier for programming cause you have a packet-manager

I didn't customize shit, linux mint is beautiful as is.

Its a nice story and all but how do you read this without getting eye cancer?