/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=qJN7AHZflfM

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

woundforlife.com/2014/08/11/technical-notes-column-wheel-vs-cam-actuated-chronographs/
watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Chronograph#Column_wheel_vs._Cam_switching
forums.watchuseek.com/f2/column-wheel-vs-lever-actuated-chronograph-239859.html#/topics/239859?page=1
canwatchco.ca/showthread.php?24069-Column-Wheel-vs-Cam-Actuated-Chronographs
chronomaddox.com/why_i_like_5100.html
chronomaddox.com/nouvelle_lemania_5100.html
lesmala.net/jean-michel/lemania/7750.htm
hodinkee.com/articles/opinion-in-praise-of-the-central-minutes-chronograph
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Too many things. But I'll TL;DR, if you didn't guess already it's because >muh autism
First reason, that I personally don't give a shit about, is waste factor: 100 plastic tubes vs one glass bottle of ink? Whatever, who gives a fuck.

Can't use the "cartridges don't hold as much as muh in-built" but that's not always true, either. Carts come in many sizes, depending on the pen in question.

My main reason isn't that I don't like the carts themselves, but rather because I don't like the pens that use them as they are IMO, mostly lazy junk. What I mean by lazy junk can be explained in watch terms too:

Consider the whole
>muh inhousey house
vs
>muh univsersal ETA generic shitter serbice anywher foreba spar perts

Same thing with cartridge/converter taking pens vs pens that have an inbuilt filling mechanism. The latter came from companies that had to put some original thought in the engineering and design of their products, whereas companies that use solely the former I see as lazy, having only to make a universal fit to allow any bajillion 3rd party carts or converters. Little thought, little effort. These guys usually don't even make their own nibs and usually purchase stock models from one of the few nib factories out there, same with their converters. I don't like that.

I want some evidence of effort for my money.

An inbuilt filling mechanism is a thing of beauty. A lot of work went into that device, and since they're patented they all a little different from one another. Converter/cartridge pens are all the same: empty shells. The makers are usually (not always, but usually) little more than pen case makers that slap on a stock nib and stock filling converter, just like the shitter watches we rail on that are stock "swiss" mvts, chinese cases - they're not watchmakers, they're case designers (and even steinhart and the like just rip designs off).

what's this thing behind the watch?

Lower arm prosthetic.

Phirst for phisting

I bought my first Vostok and holy fucking shit this watch is awesome. I don't know why watch snobs shit on Vostok so much because the build quality and timekeeping is second to none.

Vostoks keep time surprisingly well, much better than SKX for example I'll give you that, but
>build quality second to none
Fucking kek!

Prosthetic arm

Honeycomb milgauss best milgauss.

Too bad they're basically unobtanium nowadays.

But, just as generic shitter watches with generic shitter movements are easier and usually cheaper to service, a C/C fountain pen is very easy to maintain and keep clean by comparison.

More variety in inks too, which is great and glorious. The best inks never come in carts.

If I wanted ease of use and practicality I would be using a ballpoint like most non-retarded people. I'm trying to indulge in the heights of an elevated writing experience, not slum in the doldrums of crude, utilitarian, disposable bic crystals.

If I wanted ease of maintenance and true practicality, I'd be wearing and only wanting quartz watches, or, hell, only use my phone like everyone else is today. But I don't.

Besides, I have bad memories of that shitty sheaffer my father thrust into my hands before he sent me off to boarding school; I persevered with that C/C piece of drying up, leaky shit for over a decade before the thought entered my mind to look for something better. Another decade later and I have too much better, and the amassing of more, magpie like, cannot be stopped as easily since pens are usually cheaper than watches.

Pic related, my current daily driver. Is its own special snowflake piston mechanism easy to clean? No. Especially with that fucking reserve pocket. But I wouldn't want it any other way because I'm a huge faggot.

Please take your pen autism to a thread that's made for it, thank you in advance

For a $30 watch this build quality is insane!

>tfw poorfag but slowly falling for the Rolex meme
I can't buy any more cheap shitters until I own one.

Then save, motherfucker, save!
And then when you finally amass the funds
(you'll keep on saving because buying a useless metal trinket is secondary to food and shelter in an uncertain future). It will pass, the want, the need. It's all an illusion. Materialism will fade into insignificance and before you know it, you'll be dead and it won't matter anyway lol

First for the Rolex 3135 movement. Now on 20 days at +0.

You'll need a blowtorch and a bit of luck to iridisize metal

Do you own the two tone jubilee? Beautiful DJ, but it would look so much better on the bracelet.

I do own it, but really dislike the look. I much prefer leather or a perlon on my two tone DJ.

Wowsers, what the phuck is that in your pic?

Ghastly.
Phuck me dead.

What's your favorite Sinn?

>for a a $30 watch this build quality is insane!
>this piece of dog shit I found in the park is exquisite because it was free!

Lust

Source?

Lola le Lann from some french movie

Fair enough.
It's an old 7A28. One of the first quartz chronos I believe? The first with 1/10 sec recording anyway. You can find them pretty damn cheap, I bought this one a few years ago for around $100. Sold it though, just didn't suit my style.

I like the EZM Series with left hand crown/pushers.

Good day, /wg/

Pretty nice, I've been salivating over 356 UTC, but I've no idea if they ever gonna come back in stock. Though the "UTC" instead of day looks a bit retarded

What can one expect to pay for a decent penisquartz these days? Doesn't have to be the dualpenis.

Oh so there's no good reason then, I get it. Like mechanical watches. Well, fuck that. I'm going to keep using cartridges.

Except that all the good fountain pen ink is only sold in bottles, you inveterate pleb.

This one is quite nice too- ripoff of the MKII, but still a beauty. Just wish they could use something other than the 7750.

Why would they wear the watch when they could have simply built it into their prosthetic?

Lovely, the yellowed lume just makes it even more gorgeous, though I suppose when running the chrono it might look a bit too busy

Recently purchased this Geneve Dynamic- having the seller get it serviced before it's shipped to me. Bracelet is also going to be cleaned and refinished, and the case will be lightly satin polished just on the sides and back where the brushing is in straight lines.

Anyone have experience with these? I've been looking at Dynamics for quite a while and don't think I've ever seen this white dial variant before on a men's model.

I think it was Electronika.

Looks good, user.

Too bad you can hardly find anything like that anymore.

Alright /wt/, I'm thinking of blowing all my cash on a Filson Dutch Harbor. Opinions?

$30-70 for Type II
$40-90 for Lord Quartz
$80-150 for King Quartz
$80-200 for Grand Quartz
Depending on the condition and variant ofc.

>Alright /wt/, I'm thinking of blowing all my cash on a Filson Dutch Harbor. Opinions?

Despite all the social, economic and practical drawbacks that could be stated as reasons, the real answer is that they don't dream big enough user.

And what does "good ink" achieve?

it probably inks good

If you want that look, I would seriously consider a tonneau cased Lemania 5100 chrono. They are still available used for less than that Sinn and have a better and more fliegerchrono appropriate movement.

I would be concerned on the quality of the service it will receive from the seller and would take it to an independent watchmaker specializing in vintage watches as soon as you get it. I'll bet you it will need servicing once you get it.

Also, in general it's a bad idea to polish or rebrush vintage watches as it can often hurt their value compared to original unpolished examples.

The movement in those is a very good one, as I believe it's from Omega's 56x/75x family which was one of the best automatic production movements in the 1970s.

Better colours, better saturation, better ink flow and better lubrication for smoother writing.

the speedy meme's over.

That's not worth the hassle.

First of all, the Lemania 5100 was used in several chronographs from different watchmakers, not just Omega.

Secondly, I have no idea what Speedy meme you are referring to, as a Mark 4.5 with the Lemania 5100 shares very little in common with the rest of the Speedmastsr range.

Sorry, wrong image. Here are some L5100 chronos made by various brands.

meh

the if the 7750's good enough to be used by IWC in the Portuguese, it's good enough for me.

>comparing omega to iwc
>condemning the 7750 across the board

If you are going to get a 7750, at least get the Damasko version with the free sprung gyromax silicon escapement. It's in another galaxy from the standard 7750.

>hardened steel's bead-blasted "finish"

SICK

>comparing an IWC Portuguese to a Damasko

BLECH!

I honestly cannot believe that there are people who do not work in the "handwriting industry", that care so much about the "quality of the ink". Do you just sit at the evening and write down random words, jerking off over how smooth it feels?

Sorry for the off-topic, though

now that's pod-racing

How about this, if you assholes want a thread on pens, start your own thread.

What would this watch (and strap) tell others about me?

Oh, nevermind, you are one of those people who has zero interest in the actual technology and movements in watches and just find the IWC pretty, and don't care how hilariously overpriced it is.

Carry on then, I'm sure IWC will love to take several thousand dollars off you for a 7750 in a watch they could sell for $1,500 and make a profit on.

that you're practical, intelligent, fashionable

yes well omega's done such a stunning job with the finish and technology in their watches, you must be so proud!1

>falling for the speedy meme

omegas are overpriced, overvalued, and way over-rated.

That you got into watches in the past year or two, this is your first "good" watch, that you fell for the small wrist meme (007 is fine on pretty much anyone's wrist, don't get me wrong I don't like the oversized watch trend, but 46mm lug to lug for a diver is just fine)

But overall great choice user, probably one of the best first watches you can get. It will allow you to experience how a mechanical watch feels like and you'll be able to makeup your mind if you want to dive into the deep end

>that you fell for the small wrist meme
My wrist is really small, desu. 007 would be too big for me.

That you work an office job and never actually dive, and yet still wear a dive watch.

That you lost your left pinkie toe in the Afghan wars, take your tea at the Carlton club except on Wednesdays, and that you owe your landlady a threepence over a wager.

My Omega Speedmaster is from 1974, before Omega was purchased by The Swatch Group, and uses one of the 5 best automatic chronograph movements ever made.

You should inform yourself a bit about the Lemania 5100's reputation before commenting further.

Ok, you made me chuckle.

similarly you should do the same about the 7750.
>inform yourself

I regret not getting this from chrono24 for 3400€

I havent seen it irl but its 34mm, maybe it wears bigger.

>chrono24
Is that like the global craigslist for spensive watches?

I'm quite familiar with the movement. It is technically inferior in every measurable way to the Lemania 5100, the Seiko 8Rxx, the Zenith El Primero, the Seiko 6Sxx, the Breitling B01, and several other production chronograph designs.

Actual stores that have real walk-in stores, online payments are verified and every store shows how many verified purschases they have and recommendations.

They do list private sellers, but thats just asking for trouble.

I just checked, and most watches look to be second hand.
Are these stores or private ppls selling second hand watches?

you've resorted to an emotional retort.

unless you can prove each of those claims by using verified sources, your credibility is thus gone at this point.

show how each of those chronograph movements is "superior to the 7750 in every single regard" please
>with credible sources
>evidence is required

is the new seiko turtle a 'good' watch for the pool/snorkeling/light scuba?

"Second hand" might mean beaten to death in use, or just an opened box for display. Legimate stores have great pictures and are totally honest. Some people just return watches after a week.

Monaco has some great deals, "rich" people might buy something and just return it, the store just gets rid of it with profit since the taxes are so low.

And also one store has a policy where they state that nothing can be sold as new since the boxes have been opened, but essentially everything is new.

I've come across this site a few times, never really took note.

Thanks for awaring me.

So import taxes and customs fees apply all the same for intl. purchases right?

kinda wish I would have bought a Steinhart Ocean One instead, but still pretty happy with this watch.

Im a finngoloid, so I just limit my searches to the EU, otherwise I might get fucked by random finnish customs searches that add like 23% to tax.

Check out the stores selling goods, they have stores you can check out on google maps and will have phone numbers you can call.

They want to sell you goods.

no. your watch is superior.

btw that is an adorable dog! omg... how old is your dog? would you consider selling (I want a dog that's potty trained). any health issues?

get you own dog, you fucking nigger.

I want his dog because its cute and potty trained.

if you're too lazy/stupid to potty train a dog then you're too lazy/stupid to own a dog.

Poor choice in watches and dogs. For shame.

he's 4 and only health issue is food allergies and i have to spend like $80 on his damn food, but he's not for sale my man.

the reason his face is white and looks old is because he had a skin infection on his face when he was 2 and lost the hair on his face. when it grew back it came back white.

what watch would you recommend?

wont take your advice on dogs though desu

Don't get anything below a Patek Philippe.

The Seiko 6sXX, 8Rxx, Zenith El Primero and Breitling B01 are all column wheel vertical clutch chronograph designs, versus the cam activation of the 7750. The column wheel and vertical clutch approach to chronograph designs is generally regarded as technically superior to cam actuation, see the following for some sources:

woundforlife.com/2014/08/11/technical-notes-column-wheel-vs-cam-actuated-chronographs/

watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Chronograph#Column_wheel_vs._Cam_switching

forums.watchuseek.com/f2/column-wheel-vs-lever-actuated-chronograph-239859.html#/topics/239859?page=1

canwatchco.ca/showthread.php?24069-Column-Wheel-vs-Cam-Actuated-Chronographs

I will use a second post to compare the 7750 and the Lemania 5100.

Im never gonna get a pet or gf. I cant handle the loss. Sure he has ten more years to go.

Now, while the Valjoux 7750 and Lemania 5100 are both cam actuated, the L5100 has a vertical clutch design unlike the inferior horizontal clutch of the 7750.

The L5100 also has the chronograph minute hand on the central register for ease of legibility, and has the chronograph minute and second hands directly driven which gives the chronograph function much greater shock resistance and less stuttering than the chronograph function on the 7750.

Here's some of Chuck Maddox's thoughts on the 7750 vs L5100:

chronomaddox.com/why_i_like_5100.html

chronomaddox.com/nouvelle_lemania_5100.html

And some others:

lesmala.net/jean-michel/lemania/7750.htm

hodinkee.com/articles/opinion-in-praise-of-the-central-minutes-chronograph

Seriously, you bought a genetic monstrosity of a dog assured to have specific health problems.

I paid around £35 for mine.

Thankfully the seller is very established on various watch forums (I believe that is his main business), so I am not worried about the servicing being done improperly.

I also made sure that he knows that I want the bare minimum done on the case- I certainly want to keep the sharp edges, which he is aware of. I am giving it as a gift, so I just want some of the smallest love marks to be gotten out. The bracelet I am not so worried about the refinishing on, it has a conistent brushed finish and should be easy to satin polish to keep the original finish.

Good to hear about the movement, I've been trying to figure out which movement would be found in this one, as I know there is one particular auto movement that Omega made in the '70s that has a bad rep for reliability.

That you have excellent taste.

So pretty

Its like a waifu for the wrist

Hi Chris Ward bro.

I like your Speedmaster, friend.

Nice! Love the Kanji date wheel.

Of course- Seiko's dive watches are pretty much universally respected. Just watch out for the size of it, the turtle is a very large watch.