Want to run the latest version of a program on linux

>want to run the latest version of a program on linux
>"haha sorry faggot, you're going to have to compile it yourself, otherwise you can use this 2 year old build."
>spend hours finding the right dependencies so it will fucking compile properly
>notice they're all 32 bit libraries
>install them anyways because i need them to compile this program
>notice some packages being uninstalled while downloading these libraries, not sure why, shrug it off
>by the time i get to installing the last few dependencies, shit starts to break
>go on to compile the program, now i can run it
>runs, but only partially works
>end up wasting 2 hours of my life doing this shit
>reboot my computer, notice a good chunk of my programs are missing, and now my sound no longer works
IT'S NOT FAIR BRO'S, 2017 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP! WHY DOES STUFF LIKE THIS STILL HAPPEN????

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~pcsx2-team/ archive/ubuntu/pcsx2-daily
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>notice some packages being uninstalled while downloading these libraries, not sure why, shrug it off

>some packages being uninstalled while downloading these libraries
fucking what

some people arent fit to drive cars, it appears you are not fit to operate a computer

Try Arch next time if you need bleeding edge packages.

install gentoo, nigger

Using a rolling distro like Arch or use a functional package manager like Guix and Nix.

>another sub 80 IQ sub human tries something and fails miserably while raging on the internet.

Race war fucking when?

Because Linux cannot abandon its techno-communism.

When "proprietary" as an insult becomes the meaningless buzzword without respect that it should be, then you will have a chance to escape Microsoft or Apple without being more competent at programming than GNUman himself.

> techno-communism.
>talking about buzzwords
Learn to shill you dumb street shitter monkey.

why do you have to go and lie on the internet user? Don't you have better things to do like hang out with your friends or have a nice dinner with your family or even a significant other?

i wish it was a lie but this actually happened

This isn't really different on Windows or OS X, you just apparently don't care that you're running an older binary distribution of the program on those platforms, probably because you're conditioned to not even having access to compiling from source.

There's nothing wrong with running a 2 year old program that works, unless you need a specific new feature, and again you'd simply be shit out of luck with a proprietary program unless you're paying the developers.

You haven't even told us what package it was you needed to run the bleeding edge version of.

i don't see how. On fedora, arch, gentoo, or any arch/gentoo derivatives, everything is bleeding edge.

On ubuntu, you have ppas with the latest stuff in it.

I think this is a lie unless the OS and the program is mentioned.

it was on debian, i needed the latest pcsx2 build for mipmaps through hardware. this is not present on the 2 year old build.

It might have been done on purpose, OP is probably dying to get attention even from a shihole like Sup Forums

which debian? stable? why are you using a distro meant for servers and then trying to get bleeding edge software on it? Try using a more consumer focused easy to use distro like ubuntu

Debian is probably the worst of the major distros when it comes to package freshness.

They're really afraid of breaking shit and move very slowly with package versions.

it was the latest unstable release from april

Wow, it's like if you use a sane Debian distro (like Ubuntu) you could just install it with a PPA!

launchpad.net/~pcsx2-team/ archive/ubuntu/pcsx2-daily

Use arch. likely has latest version. If not, check the aur.