Optical Drives

do you guys actually use your optical drive anymore? I haven't used mine in years, now that I think about it.

That looks fucking terrible, whatever it is.

yeah, black tape would probably look better

Yes, i use it to rip music CDs like twice per month.

I think it's just stupid entirely, there are drive bay drawers you can buy that would be much more useful for that, but anyway, I only use my DVD-RW drive once in a blue moon, but it is useful for some things. I have a USB DVD-ROM drive, too.

i make second tier backups with bluray

cheap and easy just like the first tier 1 and 2 tb ext hdds i also use

One of the first Win98 program I made was a "free drink tray" thing that openned the disk-drive after you accepted your gift from Coca-Cola.

At the time, some people actually thought the tray was a drink holder. Many people also thought that the app was from coke.

I use it from time to time every month. I hate that newer cases don't have optical drive bays tho.
I'd like to get a mini itx but the lack of ODD is stopping me.

I use mine once in a while, but not much. My next build will probably be no optical drive just because I don't use it enough to really justify the larger case for it.

bup

Where else am I supposed to put my Quake CD?

It's probably been five or six years now, my current laptop and computer don't even have optical drives. I used to rip CDs occasionally, but now it takes less effort to just torrent them.

I didn't install one when I last rebuilt in like 2013. I haven't missed it at all.

haha, that's actually pretty funny. today, it's probably the only use I actually have for my disk tray.
good point

I still have one because music ripping and old people around me want DVDs burnt.

I use it to burn disks and to install operating systems.

DVDs are still the best method of doing backups for small files, imo

this

I don't use it but the other day I learned it can play ps2 games with PCX2 so I might dig up those and try it.

I used mine a year ago to make a Debian disc because my ooooold Dell laptop can't boot from USB. That was the last time I used it.

i put windows 7 on a hard drive and can pop it into my battlerig like a NES cartridge to gaymes

Why did you tape up the cup holder?

And what's and "optical drive" The screen?

I still use mine regularly. Sucks though, I've been too lazy to buy/replace the one in my iMac so I've been connecting my PowerBook G4 over Target Disk Mode and using its DVD burner

I had to use some external and internal drives building skylake pc's for my buddy's to streamline W7 installation via USB as well as all the other drivers... Dumb as fuck that they've disabled os installation from bootable media with current gen because that was a pain in the ass.

I like buying the physical copy of media I like, so being able to play it is nice

That's cool user

>not usb's

what about USB and what does it own?

All the time. Burning Blurays is pretty neat

Sure, I watched the first Kemono Friends Blu-ray on it just today.

Nope. Not in long long time.

To loud.
Bluray is ded on pc.
There isn't enough worthwhile media on disks in this age at a worthwhile cost compared to digital.

Are you me?

(Don't load the image)

Sometimes for Installing new OS bare metal.

Driver CDs

I payed extra for a blu ray drive when i was building my pc. I think i purchased 5 blu ray discs all in the same year and never purchased another one. Pretty useless and also funny that for some reason my windows install disc doesnt work anymore (tells me to use something else) so i just use a hard drive whenever doing an install

Yeah, when watching old movies

kanker

I use it sometimes.
My parents still use cds to listen to music so they have me copy some every once in a while.

is that a stroopwafel??

It's a very popular Amp/Dac, my friend.

No it's the dutch Windows install disk

just headphones? wouldnt you guys be better off getting a dac or sometyhing so you can use speakers too?

Optical what? Do you mean that stand for coffee cup?

I don't have one

I have some JBL desktop speakers that self-power through USB, then I just plug the line-out from the FiiO into them.

you didnt make that you fucking skid

I also made sure to get some comfy headphones so I don't use my speakers all that much.

>Thanks, /hpg/

sorry i meant actual speakers, not small crappy ones.

either your 16, have tiny hands or these headphones are huge. Am i right on the first one? dw i wont report

Yes, for ripping CDs and playing DVDs and installing games I don't have on GOG.

The muffs on these headphones are pretty massive.
>360 controller for comparison

And yeah, the speakers are okay for what they do, if I want amazing sound quality or I'm watching a movie, then I just use my headphones.

nice face, this image has crazy differences in scale between the controller headphones and hand. Its almost artistic

My pc that I initially put together about 6 years ago is in a hand me down case I got from a friend with an optical drive mounted in it that I thought worked but actually didn't. I have yet to encounter a situation where I needed to replace it

Tell me of a single site that sells movies or TV shows in a digital format that isn't streaming.

>inb4 piracy

amazon?
>inb4 "licence"
physical media is also a licence

I just removed mine and put the case cover back on.

Was tired of it spinning up randomly like a jet and realized I never used it anyway.

How does it work? Can you download the movies to your computer?

I wouldn't think any company would give away an mp4 file or whatever.

even itunes does. They give it to you in playable format. however some things use drm but its usually easy to surpasse (or was, i havent purchased media since 2013)

I could probably do better on the perspective. Here's an old CPU heatspreader instead.

If you look closely, we also have the same computer case.

I think I'll upgrade the dac/amp now that I see that you can get better sound if you use one. Thinking of getting an Objective2. Was gonna get a Modi+Magni but O2 is open source.

I don't think so, mate. My front panel is a bit different.

What's case is this?

Nope, good thing i can remove it and put an ssd on there, dog bless thinkpads.