We doubted Linux. We laughed at it and ridiculed it. Now it's become our only hope. R.I.P Windows

We doubted Linux. We laughed at it and ridiculed it. Now it's become our only hope. R.I.P Windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.11.tar.xz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>macOS

Stop trying to halt inevitable

>our only hope
Yeah, because OS X, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc. don't exist

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No, it's just Linux.

>buy entirely new hardware
OR
>use the same hardware but just install a better OS on

inb4 hackintosh, that shits actually for hobbyists not people who want a stable system.

*BSD is fine on servers but no one actually uses it as a desktop OS besides maybe the devs themelves

No... there is another

>ask this guy for a kleenex
>get an hour long speech with accompanying libre office impress presentation about how kleenex is just a brand name for facial tissue paper and you've been conditioned be (((them))) to associate to brands, and not products
>don't need the kleenex anymore because you already commited sudoku

It's definitely possible, for example xfce regularly pledges their support of BSD as a key feature.
If it's a laptop, good fucking luck.

This is Linux: cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.11.tar.xz nothing else.

I do

"Linux" is both a kernel and a colloquialism for operating systems that use the aforementioned kernel.

>I do

Literally why? From a desktop user's perspective, it's basically a less hardware compatible version of Linux. You're still using GNU userspace utilities, right?

>inb4 hackintosh, that shits actually for hobbyists not people who want a stable system.

if you build a system specifically for a hackintosh using parts known to work it's quite easy. i built one based on parts that were known to work, the only issue i've ever had is figuring out the right kext to use to get the audio working.

the other advantage of using hardware known to work is, it's easy to find answers for issues like getting the right audio kext.

hackintosh just gets a bad rep because everyone wants to get it working on any random computer without much knowledge of what they are doing. then get mad when they cant get sleep, imessage, wifi, and audio working on their 6 year old dell optiplex.

Ha I keked so hard at this.

>if you build a system specifically for a hackintosh using parts known to work it's quite easy. i built one based on parts that were known to work, the only issue i've ever had is figuring out the right kext to use to get the audio working.

As I said, for hobbyists. The average person isn't going to hunt down compatible parts build a PC to run macOS. If they want it that badly, they'll just buy a mac.

BSD has it's own coreutils and doesn't use Bash by default.
Not sure how popular Gnome is on BSD desktops.

>Literally why?
In my case, there have only been advantages over Linux. Your mileage may vary.
>You're still using GNU userspace utilities, right?
Of course not.

>The average person isn't going to hunt down compatible parts build a PC to run macOS. If they want it that badly, they'll just buy a mac.

i literally just went to a recomended hardware page on tonymac that listed suggest builds by price.

got a supercharged imac for half the price. yeah who would want that?

>Using an operating system that has a kernel seperated from the rest of the system rather than being fluidly integrated by single entity that cares about kernel and userspace

Lol, the BSDs OSX or windows are the only real choice. Linux is a meme.

>inb4 hackintosh, that shits actually for hobbyists not people who want a stable system
funny because even hackintosh is more stable and user friendly than lunix distros

Linux only belongs on servers.

macOS and Windows are for normies

>linux is unstable
>linux only belongs on servers
what

>he is unironically advocating BSD while bashing on modularity
The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

don't worry about it he's just proving a point about the type of people that advocate for Mac usage.

I don't care about if it's modular. Windows is modular insofar as development goes. It's about maintaining one entire system, not pulling parts from different places without single organisational govenrnance

I think you're actually retarded.
"not pulling parts from different places without single organisational govenrnance" is literally advocacy for monolithic, non-modular software.

Post more nozomoo

see me after class

If you insist

Man I like thick girls

muh dik

>our hope
>when backdoors are embedded in most systems
So, only BSD remains.

>we
We have been on ganoo lonux since Snowden, cuck

>We
We have been using Linux since before Snowden, poser.

it's actually just GNU

No, it's just Linux.

yes. the kernel.
the os is gnu

No, "Linux" is both the name of the kernel and a colloquialism for operating systems that use the aforementioned kernel.

>colloquialism =/= name
some retards yesterday thought 6/6=9

>We laughed at it and ridiculed it.
Normies did it, techies didn't.

I never said it was formal, but it is in use whether you like it or not, it makes more sense (again, whether you like it or not), and it's going to stay (yet again, whether you like it or not). Whining like a toddler will get you nowhere.

War is peace.

>yeah who would want that?
Noone. hackintosh is crap and shouldn't be used in production.

That face tho. She looks so fucking dead inside, exactly like in the anime.
Maki best girl.

2 + 2 = 5

Who the fuck are you?

Time to make the switch

OS X > Linux > Winshit

unfortunately I failed my college class on UNIX operating systems (mainly because the instructor was a bearded old man who would just reminisce about being a computer scientist in the 70s and playing D&D with Gary Gygax instead of actually teaching anything)
so I am stuck being a normie

>Anime
Hi.
Go to hell.

write desu or senpai without using bbcode
protip: you can't

fuck.
t_b_h f_a_m

What's wrong, senpai? BAKA DESU

desu

desu or senpai

desu senpai

>bbcode
kek

Yeah I remember having to spend some time hunting down for hardware that worked nicely on macOS. It was just too hard to choose between an intel or an AMD processor, and getting a GPU that didn't just come out. And the motherboard was the worst, I had to pick one that had realtek onboard sound. There's only just about a billion of those.

Seriously though if it doesn't run on your system you either have the newest thing available in the market, AMD trash (and no, I don't mean GPUs since most of those work as well) or a dedicated PCI network/sound card. You can buy a random prebuilt that has any hint of an i5 processor and chances are you might not need anything other than installing the usual drivers.

Oh and stability wise: it runs the same every fucking day. Nothing stops working unless you explicitly fuck with it or you update to a newer version (10.11 to 10.12 for instance, which you don't do until about the second or third point update if you're sane). I've been using this shit for a year without anything unusual for a normie to fix.