Current state of Linux "gaming"

Current state of Linux "gaming"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Eab2UI1Iq2w
store.steampowered.com/linux#tab=TopSellers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_culture
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4502384/Global-task-force-launched-snare-cyber-attack-gang.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What gayim is that?
Looks neat.

Oh look, it's this thread again

I don't know about you but I play CSGO just fine with Linux + we got AimTux :^)

>CSGO
cyka blyat

Honest question, what was the name of that game? I remember playing it to death in high school.

This will be the same old circlejerk
Stop it by not replying like a faggot

I like that gaymers aren't in the club, I want gaymers were outside Sup Forums too. Gaymers are cancer.

Darude shitstorm

>cyka blyat
kurwa

Current state of Windows gaming... oh wait, let me just pay up the ransom... I'll be right back.

I imagine Linux users would enjoy that for hours on end as they are autistic and can't handle more complex things.

>using Linux
>can't handle complex things

wew

As someone who's used GNU/Linux since the days Windows 98 was popular I have to say

I find the current state of Linux gaming AWESOME.

>gaymeng
How's your school going? Any exams?

tuxracer

protip: since it's free software it's also ported to Android so you can play it on your phone too.

Rocket Family is on linux isn't it?

That's pretty much the only game worth playing

anons plaeze halp, ive bean haked and ne3d my cumputer too playy vidya

I meant rocket league........

??

youtube.com/watch?v=Eab2UI1Iq2w

>Look guys. There is this ONE GAME which actually runs better on Ganoo Loonix :D :D :D

kys

That's one game that runs pretty darn poorly on GNU/Linux, too.

There are plenty of other games who actually do run very well on GNU/Linux.

There's actually a pretty huge catalog available.

store.steampowered.com/linux#tab=TopSellers

You may think you know anything about the availability of GNU/Linux games but you clearly don't. If you did then you would be aware that about 60% of all the new games released on Steam are available for all three platforms (Windows/MacOS/SteamOS=Linux).

GNU/Linux gaming is already a reality. You just haven't realized it - but you will. Because all we need is more Windows worms and exploits like wanna decrypt and the nations will be forced to accept the GNU World Order.

This brings me back to the Pre-Unity Ubuntu

Good times, good times

/thread

>having zero replies to your bait
Have a (You)

Current state of Windows "gaming"

but user, all those games look boring

At least post something good, like uhhhh the half life series, and uhhhhhh

Actually that's about all we have. oh and SWKOTOR2 is pretty great. I realize this is still a limited platform for games, but the ones I have will keep me busy for a long time. Still have a lot on my backlog.

All I want right now is valve to open source their ancient goldsrc engine.

all I want right now is Half Life 3 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tfw WoW will never be ported to GNU/Linux so I could finally mkfs.reiser4 my windows partitions for good

>Download mednafen
>Download every NES, SNES and Genesis game ever made, all under 5GB
>You know can play virtually unlimited games

>reiser4
Will it ever be mainline?

Is this a joke?

>no corporate backing
>le ebin "developed by a murderer" boogeyman

I don't have high hopes for it. It's cool that some former devs still working on it, and it gets updated to the latest mainline regularly and got new features too like discard for SSDs.

funnily enough, i first played tux racer in windows in ~2002, before i even knew linux existed

if your thing is PC gaming and you do it on Linux, you're stupid.

I use Linux and i do play some games on it, but 100 percent the "Linux Gamer" fags are delusional and annoying.

Windows sucks but it's the only good option for hardcore PC gaming

Go back to Sup Forums you gaymer

CS:GOfuckyourself

1.6 or fuck off

anime and f2p shit. I find the current state of Linux gaming NOT VERY GOOD AT ALL

Bullshit. It simply depends on what you want to play.

It's the only option for the games you want to play, maybe.

I just wanna play the new guilty gear and properly setup fightcade for Linux...

>cheating in online games

2017: Still the flagship Linux video game

>depends on what you want to play
So basically if you want to play most games?

Correction: LInux users can handle complex operating systems. Just not complex games. And while I understand that the good people of Sup Forums look down on gaming, what I don't get is why they would rather sit around whining that other people like them, as is so often the case here.

Linux is not for games. That's apparent. Sure, there are games for it, some pretty good, but it's not much different than being able to play Doom on a calculator. You know it's not meant for it, it won't be worth a fuck, and it doesn't effect how the calculator is used by everyone else, but there will still be sad little shits sitting around punching in 8008 and complaining that someone out there is having fun and not forcing themselves to be sad as well.

Gotta compensate for lack of skill/micropenis

Last time I played CS 1.6 only servers were in mexico, russia, and brazil.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Harsh truth. The most vocal Linux advocates on this board less sad, jealous lives.

it is on linux and it runs pretty well but the stuttering is pretty bad. is it the fx-6300 and rx 470, or just linux? the stuttering isn't as bad on the open source driver and latest mesa as it is with amdgpu. i find vsync makes the stuttering a lot better, there must be something weird with the way linux gpu drivers are queing frames thats causing percieved stutter maybe?

Pretty much. There are games intended for and ported to linux, but they're shit at best. I use a desktop for Windows/Linux dual boot. I have Dying Light installed on both of them, and it runs like shit in Linux. With very few exceptions, games are better on Windows. There's really no point in fighting over it, or pretending that Linux has comparable offerings. If you want to be productive/program, use Linux. If you want games, use Windows. And stop bitching that another person isn't using a solipsistic user-approved operating system.

link? searching for "rocket family" gives me no obvious answer

Little bit of column a, little bit of column b

I stick to the open source drivers when using AMD hardware. Shit sucks, but gaming on Linux is still new and DX still dominates the market. Curb your expectations.

>runs pretty well
>stuttering is pretty bad
Choose one.

meh I'm not complaining

>DOOM is on Linux
>Alien Isolation is on Linux
>SOMA is on Linux
>Deus Ex Mankind Divided is on Linux

All the games I play are on Linux.

Good for you. I have nearly 200 games on Steam. less than 40 are available on Linux, and the ones that actually run on Linux have frame rate issues at minimum. Some don't run at all. And my rig isn't a fucking Sup Forums toaster. I'd love for more games to be available on Linux, but I'd settle for a little optimization for the ones that already are. 38 games in my library that play great on Windows and are like alpha test releases in Linux.

>have Windows installed
>only play WoW and DOOM
could just switch to Linux
but why bother

>memelands 2 but no pre-sequel

get it the next time it goes on sale.

this happens every time I boot up my Windows partition to play that ONE fucking game

feels bad man

Classic doom, doom 64, and doom 3 already work native on linux. the new DOOM game can be played in wine because it supports vulkan.

Is GPU passthrough a well developed enough thing yet? Last I recall checking in it required major amounts of hacking and cobbling together to even approach levels of playable.

nah it takes way too much dicking around

>hacking
well I mean it's not some hollywood movie or anything

what do you mean? its over 60 fps 99% of the time but frametime spikes make it sutter, either that or the drivers are wonky. fuckin neckbeard over here clearly doesnt know what he's talking about.

yeah i have to upgrade, ryzen is gonna be a fucking huge change for me. i don't even know how much my gpu is being held back by my cpu

for anyone whos gonna whine about being a fanboy or whatever, i want to use a motherboard that will last me a few years instead of a motherboard ill have to replace with every processor i buy. fuck that intel socket shit, i dont care about performance if im gonna get my money eaten alive by arbitrary bullshitery like that. i wish there was a third reasonable competitor, then i wouldnt have to be called a loyalist team red cuck every five minutes on this shitpit of a website.

toplel

>hacking
>The hacker culture is a subculture of individuals who enjoy the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming limitations of software systems to achieve novel and clever outcomes.[1]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_culture

I meant the term in it's original sense, not the bastardized mass media misnomer.

Build a headless windows box with steam installed for game streaming and run all your software in a Linux VM over ssh.

Thats what I do to entirely avoid using Windows.

good

still sucks though, wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable with DIY tech stuff

>what do you mean? its over 60 fps 99% of the time but frametime spikes make it sutter, either that or the drivers are wonky. fuckin neckbeard over here clearly doesnt know what he's talking about.
could possibly be shader compilation
some newer games have lots of complex shaders, which take a noticable amount of time to compile

the latest version of mesa implements a shader cache, which helps a lot

>all old games

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4502384/Global-task-force-launched-snare-cyber-attack-gang.html

Hunt the hackers: Gang behind 'unprecedented' attack using 'atom bomb of malware' which has now spread to 130,000 systems in more than 100 countries are targeted by global task force

Hardly anything past 2007 is worth playing. Enjoy your depression quest, that's modern gaming for you.

true, i haven't tried rocket league on the latest mesa yet (using oibaf ppa on ubuntu 17.04). do you know if arch would give a noticable speed advantage? is it worth it to deal with arch/antergos for the performance gain?

daily reminder that computers are tools and if you are using a linux computer to play games, you are using the wrong tool for the job

The current state of Windows "gaming"

>do you know if arch would give a noticable speed advantage? is it worth it to deal with arch/antergos for the performance gain?
maybe, idk
i've been using arch since 2012, but i couldn't say how it compares to ubuntu, since i haven't used ubuntu since then

--oh, i will say that's definately worth keeping linux and mesa up to date, performance improvements happen pretty often

sour grapes

Modern gaming is infested with SJWs, good thing older games can't be ruined. Why would I want to play privilege checking simulator 2017 when I can play a real game made 10 years ago?

at least Windows can run games

too bad you can't know the modern pleasures of games like Witcher 3 or Dark Souls 3

Windows can't do anything without crashing every 20 minutes

>not posting cryware

get with the times grampa

fuck you JRPGs are great

thanks man. another question, if anyone else is on ubuntu using oibaf/ using the latest open source drivers, why cant i turn off vsync? id like it on, yeah, but sometimes i want to see just how high my framerate can go but it always stays at 60 no matter what unless i play a game that uses sdl. try xonotic for an example of what im talking about. native games without sdl stay at 60, but sdl games go past that. ive tried making 20-radeon.conf and disabling tearfree there but it didnt help, so far nothing has. note that this isnt an issue with the closed source driver

that was a one-time thing. BSOD is eternal.

If not playing them means I won't be encouraging games made by blue haired SJWs I'm perfectly fine without them.

PS4 doesn't have this problem :^)

pc plebs eat dog shit and pretend it's better than our steaks

>muh vijeo gaymes
Yes, we know. Gaymes are wangblows only because dx is proprietary. That's not to say that a GNU/Linux system could not perform better if it had access to dx libraries, but that we will never know for as long as Microshaft holds developers hostage. Hopefully that will change sooner rather than later so this kind of shitposting stops.

i haven't had one since like 2011

maybe it's something in your environment or compositor that's doing it

% vblank_mode=2 glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
397 frames in 5.0 seconds = 79.381 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 71.930 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 71.919 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 71.929 FPS
% vblank_mode=0 glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
24121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4824.071 FPS
24347 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4869.397 FPS
24550 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4909.987 FPS
24411 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4882.038 FPS

Didn't this attack hit some places in Russia too? The people behind this are going to end up in a fucking gulag

the ps4 also blue screens

I actually liked my cousin's PS4 a lot, but coming from Linux, I just don't have the tolerance for crashes happening more than once every few months.

What is the best distro for Linux gaymen?