/pcbg/ - PC Building General

pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (R5 1500X will keep above 60fps in every game. No i5
>R5 1600 is the best value for higher fps gaming and mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k is bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti/RX560 for ~$105. Must drop settings for 60hz if not Freesync/Gsync on many games.
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA and drop settings for some games
>1060 - Gets outperformed by the RX 580; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - usually not worth the extra cost for Gsync
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon.

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS on a retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX is often cheaper as the board+case is usually less
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is almost always wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4kXKLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/bjMjQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/sJ9VXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/jnZVXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/NK4LxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/HqCN7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/WvLMxY
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BztgYJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/9xqrCy
servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e3-1225-v6-linux-benchmarks-review/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2W3hr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/6TJ6VY
microcenter.com/product/474800/Aspire_ATC-780A-UR12_Desktop_Computer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tfw no ebay account to sell extra hardware on

pcpartpicker.com/list/4kXKLD

got the gpu and motherboard as a package deal 10% off. I mostly do some image editing, some games every now and then. Wanted the option to play newer games that my old pc couldn't handle on anything other than low res. Also didnt want my computer to freeze up when I try to zoome out on a picture I am editing.

good enough?

The fuck am I looking at?
You just stacking cards as storage?
It's good enough, but you may want to wait two weeks. A new card is releasing that should drop prices on 1070-80's.
You also have a Z type board for a CPU that you can't overclock.

Oh, and you can get a smaller PSU, and get more RAM.
12-16GiB will do you fine.
Aim for higher frequency RAM as well. As per what your mobo can handle.

my galxy s4 camera is dog shit so I stuffed them in there real quick for the picture.
I also have a 560ti, i5 2400, i5 2500k, i3 6100, b150 mobo, h110 mobo, sandy bridge mobo, extra 16gb ddr4, 8gb ddr3, hyper 212 all sitting in my closet.
I live in a ghetto so craigslist isn't active.
Have absolutely no use for them. I have a living room but it's literally empty because i never use it. Never leave my room even though im renting a full house so I cant even like use it as a hptc or something

Just give that shit to kids that wouldn't have a PC.
That, or setting up paypal for ebay will take you a week after they transfer the 1-2c into your account.

thanks, I'll just wait a couple of weeks then

pcpartpicker.com/list/bjMjQV
How much is this in Canadian Dollars?

I dont know any kids. its too high powered for a simple nas/home server. can you think of anything useful

folding@home

>got the gpu and motherboard as a package deal 10% off.
click the gear icon to put in actual price paid.

also
>2133MHz RAM.

That's fucking CUTE

changed the case.
pcpartpicker.com/list/sJ9VXH
how much is it now?

>How much is this in Canadian Dollars?
not-worth-buying/leaf

pcpartpicker.com/list/jnZVXH

Mostly intend to use for programming, light multi-tasking, and 1080p 60hz gaming.

Get a SATA SSD instead

>GPU RMA is late
>it's weekend so I can't even call them to vent my frustration
>captcha makes me click through 30 images before letting me post

>Use Recaptcha v1

Why? I don't need space, I already have some hard drives I can use for extra storage.

I figured that the faster speed of the 960 evo justified the added price. Are the benefits of NVMe ssd really marginal?

Read the OP.
Look up non-synthetic tests yourself if you are still in doubt.

If you already have a large SSD since you say you don't need space, just keep using that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Replaced the psu and the ssd.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NK4LxY
For gaming and software/game development

Can anyone explain to me why the i5 isn't good for gamin? I thought it was even recommended for gaming

also inb4
>paying for windows

Don't pay for Windows unless this is for a business.

improve my build Sup Forums

pcpartpicker.com/list/HqCN7h

because the ryzen 5 is out. go for either the ryzen 1600 or 1500x

Because the i5 gets 100% cpu usage in most games because of its low core and thread count and that causes stuttering and hiccups all over.

With Ryzen, that doesn't happen because the cpu usage is usally around 50-67% in most games and that also leaves you plenty of room to do other stuff, like shitpost on Sup Forums while you game.

Get a 1800X or 1950X, lower wattage PSU, better RAM, and a less huge gay compensating case.

but an i5 is cheaper in my country
Ah, thanks man

How much cheaper? If its like $30 cheaper its not worth it to get an i5.

plz respond

Like 176.20 USD cheaper

Oh ok than get the i5.

haha what. Show us the prices of the i5 and ryzen 5.

What is G4560 prices? You should probably just get that.

I want 3D tiddies. What do? Do 3D monitors exist today or are they truly dead and buried?
I would get a VR set instead, but I'm still hoping someone get PSVR to run on PC.

Hey guys my budget is $900 and i have a gtx 1070 graphic card. What should i parts should i use? In kind of a noob previous console peasant
I want to run newer games on high and maybe 4k

I already have a giant power rangers case with 10 fans and 700w Rosewill psu.

How's this look for an upgrade from my 1055t, r9 270x, 8gb DDR3?

pcpartpicker.com/list/WvLMxY

Entirely-by-the-numbers/10

Any 120hz+ monitor can provide 3d with strobing glasses, but it's a meme

>what did he mean by this?

I'm not looking for a powerhouse, just a nice budget upgrade using best rated components for my price range.

I'm fine with memes as long I get 3D tiddies really. But I forgot you can get 3D with 120+hz display, thanks.

What should I do to get the right glasses? It seems there's several types

I've got a pair of G.Skill ripjaws V series 8 GB DDR4-3200, and a MSI Tomahawk B350.

Whenever I try to put the two ram sticks together, the mobo fails to POST. It turns on, flashes the CPU debug light, and turns on, all in instants. It works fine with only one stick though, albeit only at most at 2667MHz.

My mobo is still with its default BIOS. Did this problem get fixed with any BIOS updates? Or will I be still stuck with only one 8GB stick after the update?

Every time I see this Dragon as the /pcbg/ image, my day brightens a bit. He's just so cute.

>and turns on
I mean, it turns turns off, and then turns on again, repeating the process until I cut the power.

Nevermind, I found a good article about 3D glasses.
Ok, now to find a good 120hz display with good color range

I heard that glasses-free 3D is coming.
Glasses, especially dark tinted ones, killed 3D.

Though that board has decent BIOS, and dual BIOS is a nice feature, its VRMs are super shit. Like, literally the worst.
And the GPU is overkill for 1080p 60hz. Just get an RX570 4GB. Preferably a good one like the Red Devil.
And I'd get the MX300 or SU800 over that SSD. I'm not sure why you chose that one. That price for 240GB isn't exactly great.

Aww.

> using best rated components for my price range.

Which is exactly what it is. That is the current go-to cookie cutter high performance but not wallet raping build. Nothing stands out as amazing and nothing is a bad choice.

My only advice is to make sure your ram is on your mobos QVL if you want it to run at anything over 2666mhz unless you want to gamble on the may AGESA providing compatability.

I made that list a few weeks ago. The price of the SSD must've changed since then. Good point on the 570.

>nothing is a bad choice
This is basically what I was looking for. Been about 6 years since I've had a new system so I'm having to research all the new tech.

1090T
RX 480
how 2 upgrade without spending new pc money on just a cpu

why does getting a new gen cpu cost so much
fucking ddr4
who gives a shit its the same shit as 3

?
It doesn't cost much.
You can get a 1600+board+RAM for under $400.

what's with i5s not being enough for games? I thought consoles had super weak CPUs so how can they run the games but not i5s?

Would a 520w psu be enough for a 1500x plus a rx 570?

Consoles are more optimized than PCs when it comes to gaming. Also jaguar cpus have more cores than an i5.

this dilemma is still tearing me apart (because of tight budget of course)
i thought i will by ryzen 5 1600 but it can't work without gpu and now i think to buy locked i7 7700 and use igpu for a while (i want to buy gtx 1060 later). why i7? because i think it will last longer also i might utilize it
guys, is i7 with an igpu for a couple of months is a bad idea? maybe ryzen is so must have that i should not even consider it. hoping for the replies..

but aren't the cores in an i5 way faster than a jaguar?

but thats way too much
the 1090T with ram and a mb was almost half that
i would stop being poor but my job and the economy wont let me

For software dev i'd go with R5 1600(x) which compils noticeably faster (as expected of a 2 cores cpu)

How bad did I fucked up?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BztgYJ

I mainly use the computer for video editing, after effects and 3D applications. I do play games from time to time but that's not the reason why I got it.

I'm in Canada, any advice is welsome

Yes, but that doesn't matter when most games released today are unoptimized garbage.

>$746.75 for 6 cores

Kek
As expected of a fucking leaf.

That is the worst most overpriced PC I've ever seen what the fuck are you doing
At least 970 for applications won't be as bad as it is for gaming.

>Intel

When will canadians ever learn?

Updated and saved $150 CDN.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9xqrCy

can i trust these benchmarks? because now i don't want to go for intel at all..
- me

Consoles run most games at 30fps. An i5 will certainly give you more than that, but it doesn't quite manage consistent 60fps in many games - especially if you're not running in benchmark conditions, with everything other than the game closed.

Badly
Get an R7 1700. Costs $325, offers 8 cores 16 threads, outperforms your shit at anything you quoted.
The liquid cooling isn't really needed, though you can keep it if you want.
$780 motherboard what the fuck
That PSU is also way overkill

No, a 4 cores CPU that hits 75+% usage in game isn't going to last longer than a 6 cores ones that hits 50% in same games
And if we're talking outside gaming, there is not even a doubt any more. 6 cores > 4 core all days

thank you friend. now i decided to go for ryzen 100%, will wait a little but it will be worth it

Will windows automatically download MOBO drivers? Should I still go online and get the latest ones for (chipset, audio, ect)?

X79 Motherboard with a 3930K is dying. (Not my computer, it's a custom build from a shop a relative got bullied into in 2012)
What can I replace it with? X99 seems to be incompatible and not a single shop sells X79 boards anymore. The only one I found was from the UK for 600 euros.

Thinking about putting in an AMD 1600, but re-buying DDR4 RAM (32GB) doubles the price of CPU+Motherboard and it feels rather bad throwing out an intel 6-core.

It's a work computer mostly used for photoshop and other batch image viewing/editing shenanigans.

What do I do? Would the 1600 be an okayish choice?
Or should I get some older i5/7 that still works with DDR3?
I'd rather get a cheaper CPU/Motherboard now and upgrade more often (with DDR4 in 2-3 years still being a thing hopefully) than buying some 2000 euro CPU now which is obsolete in 3 years.

pls respond.

Hello, I need advice on my first build ever. Reading a few of these threads brought me to parts included (not listed is cooler, hdd, psu, case). Is this a good build? I plan to OC, do some programming, general MT and gaming at 1080p. Also, why is this mobo cheaper than the other X options?

do not buy PULSE version of this gpu. buy nitro or msi model

Thank you for the advice, that build is over a year old. I can assure you it was around 2100 when I got it.

Is MSI AfterBurner recommended?

Read the source yourself and judge.

servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e3-1225-v6-linux-benchmarks-review/

Realistically though outside of a few niche cases anything other than the 6900k is a waste of time. If you NEED the extra I/O x99 provides then sure, but otherwise zen invalidates it. I wonder how AMD will price naples - having 16c/32t for 1000 dorra would be a kick in the balls Intel would struggle to respond to.

Why would you re-buy ram?

You tried setting 2400MHz speed then putting the second stick?
Anyway, do update to second latest bios. Latest one contains agesa update which removed some of the workaround that had been added to improve RAM overclock, so you'll get less luck with it.

I find it funny that you're better off buying a second hand pc for half this price rather than buying this piece of shit (the cheapest)

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2W3hr7

>Why would you re-buy ram?
Ryzen boards don't support DDR3, so I'd have to re-buy as DDR4.

Just finished building my PC today- thoughts? I've got some bf4 running in the back with all settings on ultra.

(Ryzen 7 1800)

Yes I use it and bumped my r9 up 5% with no problems.

Hi /pcbg/, building a new PC.

Going to be used for VR gaymen, normal gaymen, and just general PC use. No streaming, editing, or recording.

3000$ budget, but I don't mind going 100 over.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6TJ6VY

congrats, i'm jelly

Look in the top right corner if you still can't find it it's the X button

What's the best motherboard for an R5 1600 that's not a shitload if I don't want to overclock

wow that game looks ugly
tha future all buildings have the same neon light outlines except in different colors xDDDD

gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 or ab350-d3h
asrock ab350 pro
this is my opinion after reading specs and watching some reviews

>xDDDD
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

I know you're just shitposting, but that's pretty much what modern day Hong Kong is.

Trying to help my friend get a new PC for basic web browsing and office work to replace his 2008 single core trashbox. Normally I prefer building my own PCs but looking at the prices of some of these prebuilts it seems hard to compete.

microcenter.com/product/474800/Aspire_ATC-780A-UR12_Desktop_Computer
This has a i5 7400, 8GB RAM and a 2TB HDD for only $430. The i5 7400 would cost like $180 alone. Is it possible to build something this good for less than this? I think buying this and slapping a $50 SSD in there is the way to go.

>2
No. The lights are different. It's not the same outline with the same length and shit.
and the buildings aren't all black. They're various light and dark greys, with various warmth or coolness to the lighting. Looks much better.

>need basic web browsing box to replace single core shitbox
>overpriced i5
Read the OP.

What's the CPU to go with 1080 these days?

>60376148
Your shitposts are so bad you don't even deserve a (You)

For just 60fps? 1500X is ideal. It consistently stays over 60fps except in the few things that will also drop a 7700 down like FO4 and Arma3.
But most people will recommend just getting a 1600 and overclocking even though it's more than you need, since it's only like $40 more for 50% better performance.

Why get the X370 if you're not running SLI?

r5 1600 / 7700k

Something like that is overkill if all he does is web browsing and office crap. $60 pentium, cheap H110 mobo, 250W PSU and 8GB of RAM doesn't really cost anywhere near as much and will be completely sufficient for his needs.