Car Stereo Speakers

I'm looking for people's opinions on car stereo speakers. Who makes the best, which ones are loudest, which ones will take the most power, etc. I'm putting a stereo in a convertible, and I need volume when the top is down. I will probably need to use multiple amplifiers. Any suggestions? Pic not my car.

You're going to want some components front and rear for best sound and a quality 4 channel amp.

If you want to be a niggerbumper just replace the stock speakers with direct fits, pop a 50x4 deck in and get a 500w+ rms amp, a 1 farad+ capacitor and a 12" wooooofer

I'm listening to rock, so over the top bass isn't a requirement. I have space for four large speakers, and then many smaller ones. I made this speaker rack many years ago. I fits along the top of the back seat. It's has older Pioneer speakers in it that won't take much power. I can open the boxes up and install better quality speakers, so there is room for a lot of smaller speakers.

The only stock speaker locations are small ones in the dash. So there is nothing to replace. Larger speakers can go in door panels and rear lower panels.

Are bass tubes any good? They will fit better. But if they are a compromise I will go with the box, or maybe two smaller boxes.

What brand would you recommend?

Because the car is a convertible, there is no rear deck, which is why I built the speaker rack. There is a grill in the middle of the rear seat, but it will only accommodate one large speaker

Delahayes are technology.

The best car system I ever heard had MB Quarts in it. All separates of course. Not even sure if they make speakers anymore.

>be 18 yrs old.
>new car
go to best buy and buy some infinity 6x9 300w speakers
hook them up directly to the head unit
driving to work
time to blast some screwston rap
head unit resets
this goes on for about 3 days before i realized the speakers needed an amp
bought an amp a week later.
6yrs later, my SUV was broken into.
they steal the amp.
i was actually offended when they stole my $100 amp and left my $150 speakers (i had them in a 6x9 individual miniature sealed box
they actually had to disconnect the speakers from the amp.
thats how little they cared for my speakers.
they have been used as my computer speakers for the past 7 years.

Loudest would be a function of sensitivity and RMS power.

Highest sensitivity speakers I know of currently are the ones JBL makes at 91db/w/m, but I'm pretty sure there's better ones.

Klipsch makes speakers with 97db/w/m, so it's not impossible.

Forgot to mention that JBL's are in-car speakers while the Klipsch are floorstanding speakers for home theatre and such.

A Bazooka tube can be great. It can finish off the low end you're missing but don't expect to thump like a ghetto ride.

I don't need the thump, I just want to put my spare tire in that space instead of a big box. Can you recommend a tube?

Well if no one can recommend a specific brand that is a sure win, can anyone tell me which brand is a definite no? That way I can narrow the field.

I have had MBs before and they were good. But they are so inexpensive I feel like there must be better. I have enough cash put away for this project that I would hate to settle and then find out there was something much better. Does that make sense? I don't want to spend a lot extra, but I don't want to install something that isn't as good as something else that I could have afforded.

They are still available

These guys will be even more epic once cars can actually hover.

all the major brands are fine, stay away from low end speakers they are more a stock replacement type. you put the driver of the component type in the lower panel and mount the tweeter in the upper panel/dash

Huh, I found speakers exactly like that lying around my old workplace. Fairly decent compared to all the other junk that was lying around, which doesn't say much desudesu.

Is it even worth it to replace a stock system? My current setup sounds pretty damn good, has massive bass, separate tweeters in the A pillars, and gets pretty loud.

I'm worried that even just replacing the door speakers will somehow make it sound worse.

I mean is it guaranteed that aftermarket > stock?

>I need volume when the top is down.

No you don't you fucking nigger.

Yes, when the top is down you lose all the sound. And at highway speeds you can hardly hear a regular set up.

Ok, once again, there is no longer any stock speakers. The car is a 1968. Original speakers are not an option.

They are nothing special, but the current speakers could be replaced with something better

I get that, but what about additional speakers?

I know that you chode, I'm asking for myself.

Obviously then anything will be an improvement over what you have, which is absolutely nothing.

Sorry asshole. Learn how to use English and you won't have these issues.
And yes, replacing the stock system is usually an improvement.

So, brand names?

Spend the extra money on acoustic treatment and a pro install, especially for component drivers. They ALWAYS sound better than co/triaxial drop-ins. Active crossovers and parametric equalizers make a big difference too. I'm sure by now they have DSP EQ that automatically adjusts when you play it through a mic or something.

Seriously amazing system though. I was blown away.

Yeah, I just looked it up. I made a commitment not to throw money into a car setup pretty early on.

check out the polk audio ebay page, they sell referbished stuff a few models old in great condition and with a warranty. I put two of their 6 inch coaxial in my box van. They're decent at all frequencies, no annoying drops or peaks, and really fill the 2 man cab with sound. No problem after 3 years.

Ok

Finally to answer part of OP'S question, Alpine class d amps are fantastic and never overheat. They're very loud and don't pull too much power. Alpine, polk audio, jl, and jbl make higher-end intermediate speakers, but be careful of the aforementioned sensitivity rating (measured in dB). Higher is better and you will notice the difference if using a good amp. Infinity, sony, pioneer, make not bad tier speakers. If you care about soundstage get component speakers for the front; otherwise there's nothing wrong with two-way speakers all around.

As far as subs go, you'll need a 1 farad capacitor for each ~1000W of power. But unless you're competing, that much power is 100% useless except for bragging and stroking your audiophile boner. Above mentioned companies fall in the same tiers for subs, with alpine, jl, and jbl probably having the edge. Hope this helps OP.

Oh if it's a 68 don't hack up the door panels. get kick panel boxes for the front and there should be speaker mounts in the rear parcel tray(back window ledge). if you holesaw a classic car for shit modern audio I will fucking fight you.

Oh come on. You can buy all of that shit and hack it up all you want. Put the original panels back on when you sell it.

You'll never have good acoustics in a car and you're forced to favor one side because of the steering. Somebody just sold you a bunch of garbage

Agreed. Speakers with low or no audible distortion and clean volume is so much more important.

I was going to disagree with him, but I realized he was using the term acoustics literally. This is definitely true, and really the only reason to even try is if you plan on spending a LOT of time in your car, or if car audio is a passionate hobby. Otherwise just getting clear, relatively loud speakers is enough for most commuters and joyriders.

>infinity

no

try dynaudio or focal

I spent 25 years looking for good black door panels. I finally found them and drove from NH to Virginia to get them

No rear deck, it's a convertible.

Thank you!

>BVVVVVVVV BVVVVVVVVV BVVVVVVVV
I'm talking about sound deadening.
>steering
You mean turn the balance over to the drivers that aren't pointed at your leg? It's like we're speaking different languages.

>BVVVVVVVV BVVVVVVVVV BVVVVVVVV
I'm talking about sound deadening.
>steering
You mean turn the balance over to the drivers that are pointed at your leg? It's like we're speaking different languages.

Wow. You should get out more.

I hunted for 3 years to find the original auxillary gauge pod for a 1979 toyota pickup. I still cannot find a stock radio.

if its a camaro/mustang/popular model
if it's a 1968 sport fury convertable or something he might have some issues as most parts aren't reproduced.
he just went to Virginia
you adjust the balance and fade, I do agree on acoustics but I don't think op is trying for snek cabbles and chakra crystals in his car.

Bazooka BTA10100FHC 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer

They are like $230 on Amazon. It's a bit pricey but the tube is in like a bed liner sprayed heavy cast iron enclosure. It's a freakin tank.

I will check that out, thanks