Burned CDs

How will I explain to my parents that all of their digital pictures are gone from the last 20 years?

There is no way home burned cds last long? My buffy and angel dvds from 2005 were unreadable in 2008. And those were supposed to be great lg or verbatim.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By telling them that they're gone and proceeding to explain what backups are.

no optical media lasts forever, but a properly stored CD should work for atleast 10-20 years.

also
>not backing up your shit in multiple different ways
>when a fucking 64gb flashdrive costs $15

They havent asked me to burn anything since 2003, I dont know where their data is and they keep buying shit digital camers for some reason. They make 300k€ and understand nothing.

>buy external hdd
>copy your shit ot a new one every 5-10 years
>use cloud storage or a properly stored bluray for your most important shit

barring a freak accident your data will outlive you.

>he fell for the CD-RW meme

I got my data off those laminated deathtraps years ago. Some of them were already starting to fail.

As the op, am I old fashioned in thinking that actually printing photos and storing them in albums is still the best way?

Was cd-rw ever a thing? For a very small amount of time it was cheap to transfer data

>image.jpg

>autism

tfw OP doesn't use millennium rated quantum crystal storage.

I have a stack of CD-Rs from 1998 that still work
idk what you're talking about, OP
I manhandled them so bad some of them are starting to crack, but it's not like i actually need the info out of them anyway
>could be the enviroment, too dry or too moist like your anus

are they legit CD's or burned CD's though? the burned stuff is way shittier and only lasts about 10 years max even if stored perfectly.

Technology is a finicky mistress. I've pulled scratched up movies and CD's from a barn shed with no heating or air, to come out working fine. Game's tend to not work out so well.

Not really

this

i transferred everything to magnetic media about 3 years ago and was surprised that out of 300 cds burned over 15 years ago, only one had failed

How come my burned CD-Rs all work even though 90% of them are 10-18 years old?

everytime i see that picture i think of mistress T

stop spamming this cunt

Youre a sick cunt. I know about some of the stuff she does. LARPing mother/child sick stuff.

Cant you feel varg staring at you? Seek help.

>not keeping your media within the recommended temperature and humidity range
Take a bow. You failed to operate a DVD.

Looks like she fucked your head for good. Don't watch her videos. She's evil.

Who is it anyway?

>no optical media lasts forever
tell that to 5D discs

>'Five-dimensional' glass discs can store data for up to 13.8 billion years
A Blu-ray disc can hold up to 128GBs of data (the same as the biggest iPhone), while a 5D disc of the same size could store nearly 3,000 times that: 360 terabytes of information.
theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass

>can store data for the age of the universe
How do they know?

i have cds from 2001 that are still in mint condition (checked out of curiosity a month ago, all the data is still there, no read errors, not even a scratch on the surface)

Definitely not, we've taken the memories associated with photos and deprived all meaning by taking too many shots.

Have have cd/dvd from a 15yrs ago still working fine

Do they make printers that use ink and canvas, so you can take a digital photo and have it painted out onto a canvas?

Yep, used to use them for printing knock off looney tunes art prints at my last job. The printers are quite expensive though.

Mdisc

>My buffy and angel dvds from 2005 were unreadable in 2008

Next time don't store them in a case that's literally made of fire.

did you try on another reader?