Microscopic CPU backdoor can't be caught - can be installed by 1 person

archive.fo/oQmNC

Read it and weep:

In fact, researchers at the University of Michigan haven’t just imagined that computer security nightmare; they’ve built and proved it works. In a study that won the “best paper” award at last week’s IEEE Symposium on Privacy and Security, they detailed the creation of an insidious, microscopic hardware backdoor proof-of-concept. And they showed that by running a series of seemingly innocuous commands on their minutely sabotaged processor, a hacker could reliably trigger a feature of the chip that gives them full access to the operating system. Most disturbingly, they write, that microscopic hardware backdoor wouldn’t be caught by practically any modern method of hardware security analysis, and could be planted by a single employee of a chip factory.

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/intel.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

well that's just fucking peachy

>not soldering your own CPU
Fucking newfags.

So the real botnet will be owned by china?

So they put microscopic hardware botnet into our macroscopic hardware botnet that runs software botnet? Nice.

but really though, making your cpu using risc-v isa and an fpga is the only way to go. But good luck on doing anything useful on a cpu like that

>And they showed that by running a series of seemingly innocuous commands on their minutely sabotaged processor,

So they need to have physical access to the system first. This is fucking nothing.

You sound like a pussy

Hey bro, how many layers of botnet are you on?

Why? Most software on Linux is perfectly portable between ISAs.

because of the manufacturing process.. although then again even an fpga could be backdoored during manufacturing

That's one of the reasons Russians went back to typewriters in handling classified information.

but wait, how do you know the FPGA itself doesn't have a backdoor?
sure that's fine if you want clock speed lower than the pitch of your voice. Real men run off their own processors in their own semiconductor fabs

good thing i filled my tower with silicon based piranhas.

>but wait
It's ok, it's ok, this is Sup Forums.

so it's only good for privilege escalation?

>not leaving an open cum bottle inside to ward off CIA niggers

>because of the manufacturing process
Are you just saying that it would be too slow to do anything useful on? Depends on what you consider useful, I guess.

>although then again even an fpga could be backdoored during manufacturing
Hardly. The exploit assumed knowledge of what gates were close to the appropriate fixed functionality in the CPU. You wouldn't be able to predict what gate would be used for the relevant function after soft synthesis of a CPU.

>only good for privilege escalation

that's what you get when you design CPUs that allow instructions to be executed at ring -2 with higher privilege than, and completely unnoticeable by the OS

I haven't read the article
>And they showed that by running a series of seemingly innocuous commands on their minutely sabotaged processor, a hacker could reliably trigger a feature of the chip that gives them full access to the operating system.
sounds like privilege escalation to me

>it's another episode about how fucked we are
When will we change the channel

soon

How much do you wanna bet little CIA niggers are already all over this, seized the documents and hired the researchers?

>deleted

Got too close to the truth?

>"only"

> wouldn’t be caught by practically any modern method of hardware security analysis, and could be planted by a single employee of a chip factory.

Thank god our CPU's are made in Israel.

Processors are used not only on servers to store data, but also in critical places like early ICBM launch detection. In such places, Russia uses not only the processors they designed (and are therefore bug-free), but also afaik they make them in Russia. For less critical applications (many government servers), they use processors designed by them (such as Elbrus) but are made in Taiwan.

>soviet/russian
>bug-free

Pick one, and only one.

You're implying that Russia bugs their own CPUs whose users are mainly Russian government, Russian military, and Russian businesses that have a need for higher security?

No, I'm implying that russians can't do bug-free if their lives depended on it.

This isn't nothing. Hardware manufacturers can do this.

Oh, and burgers can?

Any complex piece of software that does something worthwhile will always have bugs you fucking retard.

Russians are particularly bad at it, though.

>yfw they put backdoor in the FPGA and program in a backdoor into your ISA on the fly

Soviet knockoff CPUs were often improved upon by the soviet engineers (some of the best in the world at the time), and soviet 8086 clones are some of the best ever made

Yeah its the jews' CPU over the goyim CPU.
The story of the world again and again.

> they’ve built and proved it works.
They've also proved it's possible to steal data from airgapped machines with gigantic microphones.

This boils down to "some employee can modify chips to be hackable!" which, no fucking shit? That's like saying "The guy who makes locks can make an easily defeated lock!"

Open source hardware when? This shit is getting ridiculous.

When it becomes economically viable vs. intel/amd/arm/whatever big corporate. Which would be right after economically viable fusion powered flying cars.

>NSA tells Intel to put hardware backdoors into all their chips
>entire globe can now be spyed on by the U.S. government

fowardcom ISA is also a possibility. Agner Fog was one of the creators.

>but wait, how do you know the FPGA itself doesn't have a backdoor?
How exactly could you do that? To secretly interface with the internet through an FPGA, which could have any combination of circuits on it, seems like it would be difficult.

>not soldering your own cpus

>not mining all materials you need and then redoing the whole manufacturing process from stone age to today tech level (all the while hunting fat niggers for sustenance so you don't waste time farming/gathering)

>best Internet in Poland is 1Gb/100Mb
I hope shit gets better before my current contract ends.

I heard you liked botnets so we put a botnet on your botnet so your botnet can run a botnet on its botnet

I wouldn't be surprised if russian security agencies were bugging the government's shit to spy on the other agencies

>tfw the universe is a neverending chain of botnet within botnet within botnet

Why can't I just enjoy my cheese pizza in peace?

>actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually autist literally botnet unironically cuck actually aut

this place in a nutshell

>the processors they designed (and are therefore bug-free)

Russian culture is very pro-self over pro-country and would definitely engage in that kind of behavior. I doubt they switched all of their systems to typewriters, but for really secure stuff even the FBI/CIA/NSA use paper only.

Wouldn't help if someone at the chip fab altered the design at manufacturing time.

If it's open source you can just manufacture it in your home fab unit.

>needs to be done by an employee
so worthless piece of shit

I, too, want to return to the days of computes the size of industrial refrigerators.

I'm going to start using my fucking IBM ThinkPad 340 from 199-bastard-4 with a 50 Mhz IBM made CPU if this shit keeps going.

And Stallman thought it was about the Software.

In the end, what use is it to run an OS that doesn't control you when the CPU controls the OS?

>dub dubs
Nice.
>a hacker could reliable trigger a feature of the chip that gives them full access to the operating system
Is this "feature" intel ME (and its AMD equivalent) or is it something else?

They can enable the weakness but someone still has to have access to your computer to take advantage of it.

>microtransactions
>microagression
>microbackdoors

He's also right about (some specific type of) hardware.

stallman.org/intel.html